In Her Dominion - A Pokémon Roleplay (Closed, Started)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

You decide to see what's on the TV.

"...and as of yet, the investigation into the Pokémon Center theft has not turned up any leads, and there has been no comment on if this particular theft is at all related to the ongoing string. If you have any information pertaining into the break-in, or the whereabouts of the stolen Pokémon, please call the International Police at this number: ..."

"In more lighthearted news, this year's Amatuer World Tournament is fast approaching! Hosted this time around in Goldenrod City's renowned Pokéathlon Dome, the tournament has already drawn participants and audience members alike from all over the world, a full week before the ceremonies officially get underway. Heh, but it's not like that should be surprising; just take a look at this line-up!

"Trainers from all across the globe, guest commentary from local and visiting Gym Leaders Whitney and Wattson, and a prize pot of $1,000,000 and a chance to participate in the Pokémon League for the victor! You'd have to be crazy to pass up an opportunity like this!

"The Tournament's promotional department has asked our network to say that registration is still open, and will remain open until it officially starts next Saturday. If any of you Pokémon trainers out there want to test your might and skill, then sign up, either in person or via the special, limited time PC service!

"And who knows!? This just might turn out to be your big break!"

Hey everybody, Pappytech here. Maybe you've seen me around the forum, maybe you haven't, but in either case I'm glad you took the time to take a look at this here little thread. It's always nice to see a little interest in an interest thread, after all.

Bad jokes aside, the title and introduction should make the subject of this RP pretty apparent: The world of Pokémon, in all of its wonderful, illogical glory. Where else can you find ten year old kids wandering around with godlike creatures, criminal organizations that waste millions of dollars trying to steal a single rat, and heroes badass enough to talk a bomb out of exploding? It's a pretty fun place and I'd like to do my best to capture a bit of that fun.

Now, to some of you, the title of this RP, In Her Dominion, might seem oddly familiar. There's a good reason for that. While I can assure you that it won't be an exact replay, this RP is a reboot/continuation of JdaS' original In Her Image RP, the best Escapist game I was ever a part of. This will be drawing quite a bit of influence from JdaS' version, including a similar storyline and mechanics.

And speaking of mechanics:

Well, that's all the nitty-gritty I can think of. If I forgot to mention something or you'd like some more information on a certain subject, then leave a comment and I'll do my best to help you out.

A few other important details: The RP will start out with everybody converging at Goldenrod City for a fancy tournament. This is also taking place 10 years after the Gold and Silver games -- which would be 13 years after the original Red, Blue, and Yellow. Odds are certain NPCs, like Gym-Leaders, Elite Four members, and iconic Trainers, will be making an appearance. And yes, you're probably going to be fighting an evil criminal organization who's obsessed with stealing Pokémon for some nefarious purpose. There's no sense in fixing a set-up that ain't broke, after all.

This RP will mainly be using Skype as an OOC chat. It isn't a requirement, but if you haven't used Skype before I'd highly recommend it. It's a free, effective service and it's served me well in many a RP.

Finally, the mandatory list of role-playing rules I expect people to abide by:

0. I am the GM: My word is absolute. Anything I say, goes.

Now to clarify, I don't intend to rule over this RP with an iron fist. This is supposed to be a place for people to have fun, after all, and I'll do my best to make sure that everybody is enjoying themselves. That said, if I ever do feel the need to throw my authority around, whether to stop an argument that's gone too far or keep things from going entirely off the rails, I will do so and I will expect people to listen.

1. Post Length/Quality: Long story short, I don't really care for one-line posts. While I'm not going to hold everyone to an insanely harsh standard, I would like to see a couple paragraphs (typically one for a reaction and one for an action, at the very least) per post. In addition, posts that are absolutely riddled with grammar or spelling errors are frowned upon; while I can put up with it to a certain extent, if I'm running into a misspelled word every other sentence I start to get annoyed.

2. No God-Modding, Trenchcoating, Etc.: Really shouldn't have to explain anything here.

3. Don't be a Jerk: I know that it's the internet, but there's no reason we all can't be somewhat civil. Joking and teasing is fine, but if someone is being an asshole they will be politely asked to stop. If they continue to do so, they'll be told to leave.

4. Regularity: To be perfectly clear: real life is more important than internet life. That applies to everyone, myself included (especially since school just started back up). If you've got a test coming up or need to work some overtime and won't be able to post as much as a result, then of course I understand. Let me know and we'll try to work something out. If, however, you disappear for a couple weeks without warning or explanation... Well, I can only auto someone along for a limited time.

And that's about all I've got. If you have any questions or complaints, leave a comment and I'll do my best to address them.

Link to Bulbapedia.

Link to JdaS' original game, for those who want to check it out.

Accepted Characters:

Questions/concerns/criticisms/comments/thrown objects, as deemed appropriate, are welcome.

Ver. 1.1: Minor formatting fixes, grammatical errors, typos, etc.
1.2: More of above.
1.3: Wrote a short history for each pokemon, renamed the slowpoke.
1.4: Minor changes to pokemon description, esp. Edna, minor history edits, minor grammar/formatting/capitalization/etc error fixes.
1.5: Major rewrite for Sylvia's history, since I realized the Pokemon Tower doesn't actually have pokemon in it any more.

What's this? A reboot of IHI? This might just be crazy enough to work! So will we still be having the cameos or is that little inside joke gonna die with the original? And will our PortuFin be making an appearance again? Anyways, I'll get a rehashed version of Darius up again soon enough.

Here is my contribution, let me know if anything needs changing.

[EDIT 1]: Minor edit to her inventory, and added Motto section. It needed to be done.

[EDIT 2]: I cannot believe that I spelled 'Fahrenheit' as 'Farenheit' through that whole thing. Been corrected now.

[EDIT 3]: One last minor edit to her inventory, since I thought that it would only be natural for her to have wanted posters of her 'idols'. I'll also be editing in any variations to her Motto as they come up.

Are we able to have things not on item lists? Such as knifes and normal camping things or are they automatically included?

Escapist spoilers and accented letters don't mix, unfortunately. As the eye and hair colours, it's anime, shuddup. :p

EDIT: Fixed the accents.

I love the idea, but I'm heading off to work in a bit so this'll be my reserve spot until I've got the time later tonight to write up a post.

Hello, I'm just going to reserve my interest/Pokemon for now :)

Heh, alrighty then. Looks like there's enough interest to warrant a response, and maybe a critique or two.

Let's get to it.

booksv2:
Are we able to have things not on item lists? Such as knifes and normal camping things or are they automatically included?

Yep, just because something isn't formally an item doesn't mean you can't have it. It's kind of assumed that you'll have some outdoor gear if your character's the wandering type, but if you want to specify then go right ahead. So long as its not some kind of non-Pokémon weapon, odds are I won't have a problem with it.

Redryhno:
So will we still be having the cameos or is that little inside joke gonna die with the original?

I take it you're referring to the Truth references? To be honest, I'm pretty undecided on that; while there's no way they'll be playing any significant role in the RP, old characters do give me a good source of names to draw from. So, maybe? I'll figure it out later.

Ruedyn:

Alright, nice job. You've got a good line-up with some very appropriate levels, and it looks like everything's in order inventory and move-wise.

It'd be nice if you could list the Contests that Colby's won though, and your sheet's grammar was a bit wonky at times. It might be a good idea to give it a proofread or two.

SamtheDeathclaw:

Questions/concerns/criticisms/comments/thrown objects, as deemed appropriate, are welcome.

Well, I guess I'll hold off on the rotten tomatoes for now.

Always nice to see a little description for each Pokémon. The character is certainly interesting enough, but I'm a bit worried about his battling style. If you want Cecil's Pokémon to come up with their own special attacks, then you'll still have to detail the process they go through; they won't be able to just pull off super-moves automatically.

You might want to check your capitalization, but things look pretty decent.

Texas Joker 52:
Here is my contribution, let me know if anything needs changing.

While I have to question Harley's devotion to an admitted criminal organization, there's no denying that Team Rocket has the catchiest motto.

Moving on, you haven't exactly given me much to complain about. It looks like you've got everything in order, and I do like the idea of a starter that's reluctant to evolve. Yeah, the sheet looks pretty damn solid; nice job.

Terratina.:

Escapist spoilers and accented letters don't mix, unfortunately. As the eye and hair colours, it's anime, shuddup. :p

Well. That's certainly a mouthful of a first name.

Other than that, the sheet looks great. Anime hair is acceptable, I guess, and some part of me loves the idea of a Wobbuffet singing along to Journey.

As a heads up, you will have to trade Casper in order to get him/her/it to evolve. Not that that should be a problem, considering the expected cast size.

And yeah, Escapist spoilers do not like standard accents. However, there is a way to get around that, at least for the 'é' in Pokémon. Instead of the letter, type in '&# 233' without the space between the # and the 2. It'll appear as an accented e, even inside a spoiler.

Pappytech:

Well, I guess I'll hold off on the rotten tomatoes for now.

Always nice to see a little description for each Pokémon. The character is certainly interesting enough, but I'm a bit worried about his battling style. If you want Cecil's Pokémon to come up with their own special attacks, then you'll still have to detail the process they go through; they won't be able to just pull off super-moves automatically.
You might want to check your capitalization, but things look pretty decent.

Oh yeah! I meant to explain that, but forgot to put it in the final sheet. Sigh.
I will of course still write the pokémon moves and all, just Cecil himself just doesn't micromanage them. In game terms, there isn't a functional difference between Cecil's style and others', just an in-character difference. I'm sorry for forgetting to explain that, even if you figured it out on your own.

comments, questions, hate mail, love notes. (love notes should be in PM, please)
EDIT: Cut down the information in the pokemon area and fixed some errors in spelling that I had thought I got last time.

Finished up the bio and personality, might still need some polishing.

If there's any problems with anything please let me know.

I'll sure miss my old trainer and her wacky violent hijinks, but I suppose it's time to move on. Here's my character sheet.

I'm quitting lurking for this. Not sure why I felt the need to say that. Just did.

EDIT1: Minor changes to inventory and a rephrasing of some areas of the personality.

Couple of things on my mind.

I'm assuming Lemonade isn't a magical cure-all like it is in the games. Because if it is there is little reason to use anything else because it's got a way better cost effectiveness than any other healing item.

When evolving pokemon through trade, is that trade permanent or can you just trade back right away? Or something in between?

And there we go. Criticisms/admonishments for abusing the egg move system are welcomed.

Texas Joker 52:

...Yeah, okay, Harley's in. There's no way I really can't accept her now.

But moving on:

booksv2:
Snip

...Huh. Didn't think I'd ever have this reaction to a sheet.

I don't have any big problems with Trodaire (though you might want to reformat his biography a bit), but I'm going to have to ask for less detail with his Pokémon. I don't mind you listing their types or Pokédex numbers, but when you're triple-nesting spoilers things get a little difficult to navigate.

JokerboyJordan:
Snip

Hey, I recognize a couple members of that line-up...

Let's see here: Ace Trainer, studied under established Gym-Leader, mysterious prophecy... Did I miss anything? Looks pretty good, Joker; keep polishing if you want, but I don't have any gripes with it.

Arcanist:

Wait a minute. Kelvin?

Texas Joker 52:

...I think that's just a coincidence. It's still pretty fun to chuckle at though.

The sheet looks pretty good, Arc. It looks like you've got everything set up right, and I like the idea of a beleaguered Assistant Professor as a trainer. Very nice.

CJ1145:
Snip

Nice job, CJ. Dirk and Daria will be missed, but Simon looks like he can be pretty fun too.

While catching 30 Pokémon in the Safari Zone is a feat worthy of myth of legend, considering that he only kept two of them I'm willing to let it slide. And Tauros knowing Headbutt is also somewhat workable, I suppose, as the Move Tutor teaches that move for free.

A bit on the iffy side, but overall everything works.

Apologies to Mush and Anaya; I'll have to review your sheets later. Sorry, but real life just hit. Should have the critique up later today though.

Mush:
I'm assuming Lemonade isn't a magical cure-all like it is in the games. Because if it is there is little reason to use anything else because it's got a way better cost effectiveness than any other healing item.

When evolving pokemon through trade, is that trade permanent or can you just trade back right away? Or something in between?

I thought Energy Root/Fresh Water were the most cost effective healing items.

On the issue of trading, if it's anything like the previous iteration of this RP then you can trade back and forth in an instant, or 'loan' your Pokemon to another trainer so that when you get it back it evolves. Though I'm not sure if that'll differ this time around.

Pappytech:
Let's see here: Ace Trainer, studied under established Gym-Leader, mysterious prophecy... Did I miss anything? Looks pretty good, Joker; keep polishing if you want, but I don't have any gripes with it.

Too much? :P

For fairness sake, she only thinks she's an Ace Trainer.

I also have a question. What is your opinion on Dream World exclusive moves?

Hmm, it'll be nice to break out the Pokemon again, and I really enjoyed In Her Image, shame what happened to it. Anyway, I shall have a sheet up in the next day or two, if you don't mind waiting that long.

JokerboyJordan:

Mush:

I thought Energy Root/Fresh Water were the most cost effective healing items.

Er, I knew it was something like that. Anyway, point is, I think it'd be kind of weird to be carrying around bottles of water that are apparently as good at healing injuries as super potions, y'know?

Mush:

[/spoiler]Couple of things on my mind.

Training for the sake of being a trainer? Interesting. And a Charmeleon named Ice is always fun.

To answer your questions, Lemonade will still heal a sizable chunk of health, but it can only be used outside of battle. Same for things like Fresh Water and Energy Roots; they'll heal, but only when the Pokémon is able to actually take the time to drink/eat them.

And trading Pokémon is by no means permanent. While people should at least keep trades going for a few posts, they're expected to trade back at some point.

Anayna:
Snip

...There is almost nothing about this guy and his team that I don't love. And that's really all I have to say on the matter.

Redryhno:
Snip

And our first Pseudo-Legendary. Glad to see that it's Larvitar.

Edit: I stand corrected. Apologies, Red.

Could you do me a favor and list the badges Darius has won in his inventory or some place? Outside of that, the sheet seems to be fine.

JokerboyJordan:
I also have a question. What is your opinion on Dream World exclusive moves?

Kind of against them. Unless your character would have access to the Dream World, it's kind of hard to reconcile.

Pappytech:
snip

Redryhno:
Snip

And our first Pseudo-Legendary. Glad to see that it's Larvitar.

Could you do me a favor and list the badges Darius has won in his inventory or some place? Outside of that, the sheet seems to be fine.

[/quote]

Oi, don't lump me in with the first to do it crowd, you and me both know Cass was the real first! LOOK AT THE DRATINI, LOOK AT IT.

Also, why did I not think of the badges? I'll get right on that.

Working on a sheet right now. Toss up between bringing back my old one or making a new one.

Pappytech:

To answer your questions, Lemonade will still heal a sizable chunk of health, but it can only be used outside of battle. Same for things like Fresh Water and Energy Roots; they'll heal, but only when the Pokémon is able to actually take the time to drink/eat them.

Ok, thanks. That makes sense. I need to redo my inventory a bit.

Ruedyn:
Snip

Redryhno:
Snip

Right, just a heads up: After some review, it looks like some of your guys' movelists are a bit off. Ruedyn, Colby's Absol apparently knows three TM moves, and while Sableye can learn Dig through TMs, I don't know how it learned Bite.

And Red, it looks like Darius' Psyduck has two TM moves.

Not that big a deal, but I'd appreciate it if you guys could go ahead and fix those.

It's done, I took two TM's and decided they could both be on Daffy at the start, so I fixed that, also added nicknames to make it easier to understand which Vulpix or any other pokemon we happen to run into that's a copy.

I think I'll throw my hat into the ring, now to do some research, write a character sheet and get a hat to throw.

Man, I'm gonna miss my old team but STEEL TYPES

V 1.2.0 Changelog:

Fixed a bug where Lily did not care about her pokemon
Updated personality fragment

Version 2.4
Cut down on the pokemon information and reformatted his Bio(if u meant it in another way than i did please be more specific).
Comments are always welcome.
EDIT: Separated the Bio. But unfortunately i don't see the jumbled part, i understand you do and that it means i probably wont be picked for the RP.

Right, so, looks like a few more people are still working on sheets. Considering that, and the number of submissions already received, I'll probably continue to accept applicants until at least Friday. Still, I will try to make the final selections sometime this coming weekend, so I'd encourage people to make any new sheets or edits that they want to before then.

Shakomaru:
Snip

Well, that's certainly a unique format for a sheet. But I suppose I can still find everything without too much difficulty, so no worries there.

While Lily's Pokémon have enough detail, the rest of the sheet is kind of sparse. You mention all of the important bits of her appearance but don't exactly give a whole lot of detail about it, and while you devote an entire paragraph to Lily's admiration of Steven Stone you don't even mention how she feels about her team or Pokémon in general.

I don't have any problems with the character, but I would like to see her fleshed out more.

Evrant:
Snip

I know that you're not quite done with Vergil's biography, but I hope you don't mind if I pass judgement on the rest of the sheet.

Honestly, it looks pretty good. I find it odd that Vergil has had to rescue every one of his Pokémon from some situation or another thus far, but I suppose that considering the nature of the world that's not too unreasonable. Aside from that though, everything seems to be in order.

booksv2:
Snip

Actually, when I said to reformat the bio, I just meant separate the paragraphs so that it's not a single chunk of text. As for the rest of the sheet, you want to try to focus on grammar and punctuation; as it is, the sheet just doesn't flow too well. It comes across as jumbled, almost.

Expect a sheet from me tomorrow..
Hopefully my team will be alright.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked