Kaldun - Magic Academy RP (Fantasy) - Open - Started - Main Thread

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sign ups here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/540.826163-Kaldun-Magic-Academy-RP-Fantasy-Open-Not-Started-SIGN-UPS

Kaldun

September 1st - 0700 Hours

You arrive at the Tyon port; the clouds are dark and gloomy with small snow fall coming down giving everyone a chill. After a short bit the boats begin to arrive and school workers stand at the foot of the ramps to the boat. People begin to line up to get on and the worker checks your card to see if you can get on. You look at your card, it says your name and Boat IV.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Rayis Ezel

He had to admit, he wasn't a fan of the cold. Even with his heavy jacket he still shivered. Tyon in the winter was always the worst and it always came early and this year was no different. The winds are blowing hard and so he began to rub his arms together to get himself warmer. The prospect that it would be winter on the part of the island where the actual Academy is located wasn't a pleasant thought. However the idea of having his own room was good, since he didn't have one at his home.

Seeing the line was shortening, he briskly walked over into it. As he waited he looked over and watched the other boat lines, they were significantly longer. The boat that were leading to Kaldun where nothing special, but at least they had an inside people could stay in and sleep during the ride. But in the distance he could see much larger boats that easily shadowed the Kaldun vessels.

The line moved up and Rayis stepped forward. Eventually he reached the end and handed the worker the card. They looked at it with one hand and looked at their list with another. He handed the card back and crossed his name off the list, "Proceed." He simply said and Rayis walked up the wooden ramp up to the boat.

As he stepped forward he looked up at the mast. The sails were closed but once they are ready the crew of the boat will open them and they will be off. Walking over to the door to the downstairs he noticed it was locked and assumed they weren't allowing people to go down yet. Having nothing else to do he moved towards the side of the deck and sat down, the railing providing some protection against the wind.

A thought came into his mind, the idea of putting his sword out and manipulating the magic to bring out a small flame from the blade. However taking a longer thought, since the boat is wooden and he wasn't perfect at controlling it. He didn't want to get in trouble or worse start a fire that consumes the boat.

With that away from his mind he continued to simply watch as Mages, Trison and Humans continued to board the ship. There was quite a variety of people, from all around the world. Kaldun was like a culture boiling pot- but everyone goes to Kaldun for the same purpose, to learn magic above the levels they already know.

The people in front of him are his fellow students. He only wondered which of them he would learn to know.

Jake Crasha

Looking around at everyone in line and all the students already on the boat Jake smiles and resettles the strap on his shoulder.
Well, this is a lot of people to be heading to the academy. I wonder how many im going to be friends with.

Stepping up to the man behind the desk he smiles and hands him his card.
"My name is Jake. Jake crasha."
As the man looks through his list and marks on off he hands jake his card back and waves at the boat.
"Go on, get on and stay out of trouble."

Nodding Jake steps onto the boat and pulls his coat tighter around himself at the biting wind that sweeps across the deck. Thinking for one second to try making the wind change so it flows away from the boat he makes a face and decides that that would be a bad idea, the possibility of cutting the boat in half or blowing it up are to high for someone who is still less than an apprentice.
Looking at someone standing against the rail Jake walks over and leans against the rail next to him, smiling at him and holding his hand out, shaking his hand.

"Hi, my names jake. Who are you? What did you come here to learn?
Well, I mean I know magic but what kind?"

Gaius had a minor problem trying to see everyone. In that he couldn't see over anyone. Though, if it were anything like the mass of giants that called themselves ordinary around him, the place was packed and busy. Gaius growled to himself, snapping his fingers and forming an orb. After a second, the legs tore out, like an egg hatching, and it scrambled itself to it's feet. The summoner smirked, and sat on top of his mobile throne, Cancer.

"Ah crap, cold seat, cold seat!" He hopped to his feet, a bit more tolerable and could see over people now. He sighed, it'd do. He stayed like that, waiting in the line as more people got onto the boat, boat IV if he remembered correctly. Gaius always disliked roman numerals...

"Ahem, sir?"

"Hm? Ah, right." Gaius stopped staring into space, producing his card from his pocket, giving a small nervous smile to the man. He crossed off his name, waving Gaius on. Cancer moved forward as Gaius gave a bow for a good bye.

Cancer climbed aboard, having his servant do all the leg work meant more chance to work the Summoners magnificent brain. More people were climbing on every moment, a sea of faces, mostly standing at similar height. A few ere watching the newcomers, others chattering, others keeping to themselves. Somehow the latter always provided better conversation, though Gaius himself wanted nothing to do with anyone for a bit. He snapped his fingers, Cancer disappearing below him as he landed with practiced grace on his feet. He gave a smirk as he made his way towards the center.

Petrichor
Petrichor shivered in the wind. His tunic was nice and thick, line with fur from his father's hunting, but the wind was still bitter cold.
"How unseasonable, this weather..." he sighed quietly to himself, and shrugged deeper into his tunic. He was standing in line- boat number four. There were quite a few in line, more than he had genuinely expected.
With a sigh, he lifted his hand, drawing a wall out of the earth underfoot, blocking the wind. He extended it as far as he could, covering the person in front of him and behind him as well. He leaned against it, already tiring. He'd been in the city for two weeks, and had barely slept. He didn't trust cities. Too many people. Too many buildings.
When the line advanced, he left the wall there, for those behind him. He could draw up another, but he was only one person away from the teller.
The boy in front of him, a short fellow standing on what looked to be an icy spider, gave his name, and boarded. Petrichor did the same.
"I am Petrichor." The man glanced at him a second, at Petrichor's card, then back at him, then waved him towards the boat. He said something, Petrichor thought, but he missed it.

Stepping onto the boat was an... Interesting experience. He'd been on a few boats in his life, but never one on such a large body of water. He could feel the water, stretching far off, beyond his senses.
Water. My element. But this is no home of mine. I already miss the sturdy earth beneath my boots. he mused as he looked around the boat, and off into the watery distance.
He went to the railing, and leaned over, looking deep into the water. He felt the Earth there, at the bottom. And once he felt the deep resonance of watery earth, he felt it everywhere. It took him a moment to realize he was feeling the salt in the water. He smiled slightly. Maybe he was wrong. Water with Earth in it- that's all the ocean was.

Rayis Ezel

Rayis looked up at the student and tried to speak but nothing came out. Talking to a stranger was quite difficult for him and he began to breathe heavily but slowly he calmed himself down.

I'm going to need to learn to talk to Strangers here as everyone is...

Gaining his confidence he spoke, "T-The names Rayis. Rayis Ezel. I come here to learn Weapon Magic, specifically for fire. How about you? W-What are you coming to Kaldun to learn?"

Shivering from the cold, Erik felt a growing contempt for the line of people stretched before him. If the cold and the wair weren't enough of a bother, he noticed quite that a few Trison made up the group. One with fur tunic was standing right in front of him, which unnerved Erik slightly. He tried to ignore the discomfort and buttoned up the top of his dark coat, burying his chin in the collar.

Mercifully the line was shrinking at a speedy pace. After some wait, it was Erik's turn to step up. He walked forward, his cane make a light clunk as it hit the wood below, and handed the man behind the desk his card.

"Gwent. Erik Gwent." he said with a small smile. After receiving a nod from the clerk, Erik made his way onto the boat. After looking around briefly he spotted a seat near the rails. He sat down and let out a breath of relief, then laid his cane across his lap.

Erik noticed a nervous boy next to him trying to introduce himself to other student-to-be. He avoided jumping in and introducing himself as well. Erik was never fond of sparking off conversations. Someone else would have to approach him and fill out that role. It happened more often than not - someone was always interested by the sight of a boy so young walking around with a cane.

Jake Crasha

T-The names Rayis. Rayis Ezel. I come here to learn Weapon Magic, specifically for fire. How about you? W-What are you coming to Kaldun to learn?

Smiling at Rayis Jake shakes his hand a few more times.

"Myself I came to learn weapons magic also. But wind instead of fire. I'm sure we will be in a few of the same classes there, us both being weapon people. What weapons do you use yourself?"

Looking around Jake raises an eyebrow at someone riding in on a thing. When it disappears he whistles softly.
"Will you look at that. Someone is showing off some, riding in on some creation of their own making."

Look over at Rayis and smile again.

A horse drawn cart trotted down the docks. One man was reigning the horse and two were in the back. The fourth being Kazma himself up front. It was a god forsaken day to be anywhere out in the wind and cold. Kazma needed to just endure it though, soon enough he'd be out of the wind. The horse was slowed as they pulled up to the embarkation line. "Make sure these get loaded swiftly and safely. We're late enough as it is". Kazma drew out a few coins for it to be worth it for the workers.

"Aye sir, swiftly and safely" said the driver.

Kazma jumped from the cart and landed with grace. The workers sped off down the ship to another ramp for the luggage. Kazma stepped confidently towards the officers for his papers inspection. He presented what he needed and boarded with haste. There were quite a number of students on the deck, it seemed non were being allowed below as of yet. Seemed cruel to let the plebeians continue to freeze for no reason, but worse was he was held to the same. Kazma stood behind a mast to keep the worst of the wind off him. He tucked up his collar and arms for added warmth. Hopefully things would turn for the better soon enough.

Rayis Ezel

"M-My weapons? I use a greatsword and longbow," he said as he brought out his weapons and showed Jake. "They aren't anything special but I have grown used to them."

He then turned and saw the mage on their summon that Jake had pointed out. Certainly interesting as he hadn't seen many Summoners, his family had three weapon users including himself and one regular. Rayis well versed in his own area of magic but was still uneasy about his knowledge in other areas, such as Summoners.

But then again, that's why he is heading to Kaldun but then he turned to ask a question to Rayis. "What weapons are you using?"

Jake crasha

M-My weapons? I use a greatsword and longbow, They aren't anything special but I have grown used to them. What weapons are you using?

Looking over the weapons that Rayis brings forth Jake nods and smiles.
"Those are some nice ones. Mine are not close to as big as those."

Bringing my pack around he reaches in and pulls out his sheathed kukri, drawing it and holding it sideways to show Rayis the blade and the unique style.
"First off is this little beauty, a kukri."

Sheathing it and setting it back in the pack he rummages around inside until he brings forth a gauntlet. Putting it on and flexing his fingers he smiles at Rayis and waves it slightly
"And this is the other, its what my granddad used when he went to the academy."

Leaning against the rail he looks behind Rayis at another kid standing behind. Smiling he waves at him and reaches over to shake his hand.
"Hi there, and what are you going to the academy for?"

The wind is a lover of sorts, insatiable and rapacious. Most people have to buckle to its whims. They endure the harsh and bitter winds of winter, suffer in sullen silence as the icy chill sinks daggers into them, and wait for the wind's favor. They pray for the days when the harsh howls soften into gentle summer zephyrs, when the spring breeze drifts about in lazy bliss, laden with the season's myriad perfumes. Lyra was not so yielding. She rebuffed the wind's myriad advances, broke down its stormy blusters and dismissed its threats and enticements with equal disdain. This young woman, this fragile, fleshy thing of blood and bone, paid the wind its greatest rebuke, she ignored it.

The temperature never seemed to bother Lyra much, hot or cold. The clothes she'd picked for this particular journey seemed better suited to summer weather (a silken, sleeveless tunic, baggy trousers, all fine fabric, all subtle wealth, grounded by a pair of hard worn leather boots), but she never shivered or flinched. The wind was an old lover she knew well, and if it wanted her attention it was going to have to produce something a damn sight more interesting than a mere untimely chill. The deck of the ship rocked slightly beneath Lyra's feet, riding the gentle waves that lapped against the harbor. She never lost her footing, and something in her posture and the subtle shifts in her stance as she distributed her weight, suggested that she'd never stumble or succumb to seasickness, even during the roaring waves of the fiercest squall. The chill of the wind against her, the sea beneath her feet, the tang of salt in her nostrils, she was home here, almost. In truth, she hadn't boarded a ship in nearly four years, and most of her dalliances with the sea belonged to the hazy visions of her early childhood. The ghosts that slept in her mind didn't seem to care. They could conjure memories of thousands of sea voyages, thousands of storms and thousands of safe harbors. The ghosts remembered and found their peace, and Lyra made their peace her own.

Lyra sighed slightly, eyes drifting across the sea and lingering on the mists. Somewhere in those low hung clouds lurked Kaldun, all the myths, all the prestige, all the glory. The corner of Lyra's mouth quirked slightly in a sly sort of smile at the thought of the school's reputation and the myriad wild stories that so many folk seemed so keen to whisper whenever the academy cropped up in conversation. She chuckled slightly, it was all well and good she supposed, after all, reputations existed to be tested. An education was worth a great deal, and Lyra had endured greater debasements for less lofty goals. She would embrace what this place offered, even if her typical relationships with 'teachers' of any sort seemed oddly similar to a street cat batting about a rat until it ceased making interesting squeaks. The teachers would be easy enough to deal with, their patterns predictable enough. The students might prove more interesting though. Lyra spared a passing, languid glance at the growing crowd on the ship's deck. They were a motley enough lot, lowborn and nobleborn, trison and human alike, mostly male by the looks of things. Boys showing off their toys. There was potential here, but it was too early to make any definite plans. The proper spider would never spin a web with inferior silk.

A soft humming crept out from between Lyra's lips as she let her mind drift, eager to depart. The tune lingered on the mist, hung in the air and sweetened it somewhat even as it darkened it slightly with an odd melancholy. In the silence that hovered in between conversations, in the sound of the breeze snapping sail cloth and conjuring foam from the waves, the wind seemed to answer the girl with a tune of its own.

Erik remained seated, quiet and attending his own thoughts as the others around him socialized. The two boys right next to him were talking about magic, one showing off weapons to the nervous boy. Eventually the former approached Erik, waving at him and stretching his hand out.

"Hi there, and what are you going to the academy for?"

Erik smiled and slowly reached out to shake the gauntleted hand. "Well magic of course." he said, feeling like starting off with a cheeky response. People usually liked that.

After shaking hands with the other boy, Erik's eyes wandered for a bit and were captured by a girl nearby. To say she looked pretty would be a severe understatement. His ears also peaked up when he picked up a strange tune she was humming - a rather enchanting one at that.

But Erik thought it might be rude to stare too long, so he pried his eyes away from her and called his attention back the boy in front of him. He rubbed his oak cane with his fingers as he thought for a second. "Why do you know weapon magic? Do you want to be a soldier when you grow up?" Erik asked. It was curious that someone so young would choose weapon magic as their focus. Shapeshifting and summoning had all sorts of practical purposes, whereas weapons only had use as tools of battle.

Jake Crasha

Well magic of course. Why do you know weapon magic? Do you want to be a soldier when you grow up?

Making a face at him Jake follows his eyes as he looks away to a pretty girl standing a bit away's. Blinking a few times at what she is wearing he shakes his head and rummages in his pack, putting it over his shoulder again when he has pulled out a winter coat. Walking over to the girl he throws it over her shoulders and pulling it together in front of her.
"There ya go. Once we get to the academy you can give that back, don't go catching a cold or anything before we get to someplace warm and comfortable."

Walk back to Rayis and the other boy and lean against the rail.
"I know magic, if it was anything else you wouldn't be on this boat. What kind of magic are you going there to learn? And I chose weapons magic because I"m good at it. If they have a draft ill do what i have to do, but i don't just want to be a soldier."

Raising the gauntlet he makes as though he is holding a ball, air streaming in till there is a ball of swirling wind inside his hand, showing it to the 2 boys Jake turns to face over the rail and throws it down and away from the boat, it hitting the water about 30 feet away. When it hits the water there's a low roar of sound and a foot wide and one foot deep divot appears in the ocean for a second before it fills in again, a breeze at odds to the wind normally flowing past us before dying and the normal breeze resuming its sharp passage across the boats deck.
"Plus, once you get good at it you can change the levels so it isn't a weapon as much as a tool, that's one of the reasons I'm coming to do this so I understand how to do fine tuned control over my magic."

Erik frowned when the other boy blasted the water below with some manner of sorcery. The only thing more dangerous than an inexperienced mage throwing around magic willy-nilly was said mage doing so on a crowded boat. Erik was getting bad vibes from this boy. At first he had seemed friendly, but he was clearly more of a show-off. He wondered who he was trying to impress by walking around with bare weapons.

"Plus, once you get good at it you can change the levels so it isn't a weapon as much as a tool, that's one of the reasons I'm coming to do this so I understand how to do fine tuned control over my magic."

"Well I suppose that's a noble goal." Erik said. "I'm studying earth magic, probably. I like the earth. It's quiet." With that, Erik pulled himself off the railing and raised his cane up alongside him. "Excuse me." he said as he walked away from the boy, the tip of his cane tapping against the wood below.

The idle progress on behalf of the crew drew on his reserves of tolerance for the endurance of the elements. He was quite ready to just turn into his Taguel form for the warmth of the fur and not care what anyone thought. A distraction was sorrily in need and one was delivered. Drawing his gaze upwards from the wooden boards of the deck a woman of an eye pleasing nature stood solitarily with an apparel one might expect to see from his own lands of a polarized nature as to the current state of agony he was forced to endure. Indeed she was probably the most fascinating stranger he'd seen yet about this port. A rose which may endure the frost and mayhap a howling blizzard. One which the opportunity as presented, should not be passed over.

Kazma abandoned his shelter to meet this winter rose. His coat still hiked up to protect him as best it could. Shifting through the crowds he met alongside Lyra. From a quick sideward glance as he made his paces to an end, she was just as pleasing on her other side. And she was humming something, lost between the gusts but as they failed for a moment he could hear it. Softly it carried. Kazma was keen to break his silence though, he could not enjoy her sound at the moment. "If I may say milady"? He paused a short while to attract her attention. "In my stay here I've seen no one who could endure the cold march of the elements such as you can. I have my suspicions as to your durability but if you would do me the favor of enlightening me, I would owe you.... say something for now if I may. But let me be formal and introduce myself. I am Kazma Legault Bastion of the great House Bastion". Kazma bowed slightly and brought his right arm across his chest. "May I inquire your name that which I may know the name of the winter rose before me"?

Gaius noticed he was one of the relatively few Summoners on board the vessel. That was almost disappointing; branching out into other elements, learning a few more spells from colleagues, that would have been a tad bit better than staying a library and performing trial and error. Alas...

There was a kid showing off his weapons, a Greatsword and a Longbow. Seemed nervous. Most everyone else just seemed cold. Luckily, and Orvar never felt cold. They were faaaar too used to it to be bothered in any way. There was also an overabundance of males, which Gaius could certainly live with. He wondered for a brief second if any had any interest in getting... warm. Probably not with a dwarf though, no matter how ruggedly handsome.

He noticed a smiling Trison, leaning over the boat haphazardly. Gaius strolled up to the kid till he was about a foot away. He didn't seem to be paying attention...

"Boo!" Gaius called out to him, letting a smirk brighten his features.

Lyra bit down the urge to lash out with the magic in her bones. One of the boys had broken off from his little circle of conversation, rather keen on draping his jacket about her shoulders and happily yammering away as he did it. It would have been easy to take offense at the offer, to perceive it as some jab against her competence and endurance. But in truth, Lyra sensed no malice in the boy's actions and words, for that matter, she didn't sense a great deal going on in the boy's head period. This was one who acted, someone who lived by the code of morals written deep in the belly. He may not have been terribly bright, but his intentions seemed pure enough. After a few moments, Lyra shrugged off the heavy winter coat. It smelled of a farm, somewhat rank with hints of hay and manure. The jacket itself had been patched and mended quite a number a times by someone with a fine hand for stitch work, someone who truly cared, someone like a mother.

The young woman sighed slightly and made her way back over to the boy who'd offered her the coat. She tossed it back to him with a gentle flick of the wrist. A bright gaze scoured the youth, looked at every nook and cranny, dissecting him for a moment. Bright eyes remained imperious without drifting towards the unnecessarily haughty. There was a note of mild reproach in Lyra's words, but her thanks were equally genuine, "That was neither requested nor required... but the thought was a kind one. Here's a kind thought in return: stow away your toys and save the sorcery for Kaldun, you're worrying your future classmates. First impressions are delicate things."

Lyra turned and stalked back to her post at the ship's prow, folding her arms and staring back out into the distance. The peaceful quiet lasted for a mere moment, before it was shattered by... words like poetry, bad poetry. Lyra suppressed a slight chuckle, it wouldn't do to laugh at this one, he was giving it his best after all. She didn't need to hear his name to know he was noble born. His interactions with the opposite sex held all the typical hallmarks of courtly etiquette, though he could use a refresher on the importance of brevity. Lyra offered the lad a subtle, gracious smile, and a slight nod, the curtsey of the Swan, to be used when greeting an individual of high birth but uncertain station. Lyra knew the old dance, the typical give and take, and she could spin a performance like none other, "A pleasure, little lord. You seem to put great stock in names, you certainly take great pride in your own. Tread carefully, Kazma of House Bastion, this boat goes to the place where nobility dies and great names wither and drop from the vine. Hmmm, I'll give you one name though, you've earned as much and 'winter rose' simply will not do. You may call me Lyra. What brings you to Kaldun, little lord?"

"Boo!"
Petrichor turned slowly towards the sudden noise, and saw the short boy who'd been riding the ice spider... Thing. A Summoner, then, probably a Water user.
Petrichor blinked slowly.
"I've met ghosts. They're usually a lot keener on slaying trespassers in their crypts than scaring Trison children. The two do occasionally overlap, though..." he trailed off, cocking his head slightly. "Either way, aren't you a little short to be a ghost?"
The boy was obviously much older than Petrichor, five or more years older. But they were the same height. And Petrichor was a Trison, to boot. He must have a lot of trouble with horses, Petrichor thought idly. He was handsome, though. Petrichor looked away, out toward the sea.

"I'm not so little and powerless, you're quite incorrect upon the next though as I put stock in ability and power. Your third notion is spot on. There is no nobility beyond a sense of duty I feel to carry on left to me. As for my names place in history of this chapter of my life though yet to be seen, I've no intention of letting anyone forget it. Now that we've asserted or corrected your assumptions of me let me say it is of a great pleasure to have met you Lyra". Kazma paused for a short while. First taken aback by the women for being able to carry herself as she was a Queen, than enjoying that she did so. Few women seem to think they are of equals and fewer above men. This was just a fact of the times though and didn't reflect Kazma's views. He based what he thought of others of ability and powers. And while he had yet to se a demonstration of physical or magical ability, she herself had a wit of a sword and certainly acted with power. Ticking away his last seconds before he needed to respond and looked out behind him at the crowds of the students before returning his focus to Lyra.

"What brings you to Kaldun? I suppose I should say whom as a more accurate way of phrase. And that whom would be my father Tamwin Bastion, also known as The Wolf. Perhaps the greatest shapeshifter of the age. Well he with his near limitless authority has for a reason not fully understood by me. Has stripped me of my right as first born to be heir of the head of House Bastion in favor of my little brother. And has also absolved any sway that otherwise I would of carried by banishing me to Kaldun. I am a lord with but a name and self Lyra. It is a mark of shame my father has branded me with. And I carry the fury of a hurricanes might due to it, he has played quite the move against me. Not quite checkmate yet". Kazma was reserving himself quite well, only gripping the deck railing with his gloved left hand. Unable due to it to leave any marks. "Beyond that reason, to study the art of shapeshifting. Now that you know my reason. I turn your question back upon you"?

Erik walked his way across the side of the boat, sitting down next to the railing once again. A meter away from him was the lovely girl he had spied earlier, as well some boy who was chatting with her. Though the boy so proud to declare himself Kazama Bastion was definitely a noble, the girl who said she was Lyra spoke like she was one as well. Both were talking in mixed poetic and formal manner that ordinary folks never used. As Kazama spoke of his past, it sounded to Erik like something he might have read in a romance novel once.

He remained seated as he was, simply content with listening to their conversation. Beautiful as Lyra was, Erik figured the most gentlemanly thing to do was not become one of a hundred other jerks who were probably going to hit on her today. Kazama certainly seemed like an interesting fellow. Not just because of his noble birth and novelistic-sounding past, but because he was apparently a shapeshifter. Erik smiled at that, as his fingers wrap about the bronze head of his cane. It was nice to know someone else aboard had the same skills as himself.

Jake Crasha

When the girl throws his coat back and looks at Jake much like he thinks the north wind would he meets her eyes and blinks.
That was neither requested nor required... but the thought was a kind one. Here's a kind thought in return: stow away your toys and save the sorcery for Kaldun, you're worrying your future classmates. First impressions are delicate things.

"Ay, first impressions are delicate things. But eventually the long looks changes them. I appreciate the advice none the less."
Taking his coat back and rolling it around his gauntlet he opens his pack and pushes them both inside. Looking at the girl again he nods at her clothes.
"You're going to need some better clothes for winter areas anyways. Better sooner than later. Just saying."

Turning to rayis he looks around and sighs softly.
"It would seem in my excitement I messed up. Well, nothing I can do about it right now, but maybe in the future I can see about doing something to change opinions of me."

Lean against the rail and sit, looking out over the multitude of kids, male and female, human and trison. Looking over at the girl who gave his coat back he smiles thinly
"Well, look at that. We have a bonafide noble on this boat. I wonder who got paid for that to happen. Well... I guess that's a tad unfair. He may have the skills to have gotten here all on his own without aid from parents or anything like that."
Shrugging and looking at the people still on the ground he tries to decide how much longer, roughly.

Rayis Ezel

Rayis had been sitting silently and watched the events ahead unfold. "Once we're in Kaldun it won't matter much if your Noble or not. They don't follow the laws of other lands, only their own. Teachers are the rulers; we're simply students, privilege to be there. I doubt he will get much special treatment."

He sat there silent and then added a bit more, "If he had been paid in, then well. I guess even the mighty can fall."

Once we're in Kaldun it won't matter much if your Noble or not. They don't follow the laws of other lands, only their own. Teachers are the rulers; we're simply students, privilege to be there. I doubt he will get much special treatment. If he had been paid in, then well. I guess even the mighty can fall.

Nodding slowly and smiling.
"True true. Once there all that matters is magic power and versatility, and anyone can be the top, not just a royal."

Lean back against the rail more and move slightly to get comfortable. Looking at the line of people still to get on the boat,
"I wonder how long its going to take for us to start out trip to Kaldun."

I wonder if he realizes how much he contradicts himself, Lyra mused over this little nugget as the young noble plodded along. He resented the word 'little' yet admitted that he had no lands, no armies, and none of the power he claimed he valued. What lord could be smaller? He spoke of duty, and Lyra doubted he truly had any grasp of what that word meant. She sighed heavily. She'd hoped for more, really, though as a rule the nobles of this era were lacking. Nevertheless, a few amongst them could recall glimmers of their true purpose, a few remembered that ruling was an art, not a right, and that the true ruler, was first servant, and second artist. This Kazma's prospects looked rather dim. Thus far, Lyra was unimpressed.

"No, little lord, I am not in the habit of making assumptions, merely observations, and it will take more than words to correct those," Lyra closed her eyes and breathed deep of the sea breeze once more, letting the salty tang of the ocean scour away the fluff and pomp, leaving behind only the raw, aching truth. This boy's entire situation stank of some attempt on his father's part to better him, mold him, shape him into a proper successor, through force if necessary. Not the most brilliant method of crafting a suitable heir, but it was an old enough standby with typically reliable returns. If this great Wolf truly wanted an unremarkable heir out of the picture and this was his solution, the man was an idiot. IF the goal was to be rid of the boy entirely, he'd of killed him. There were any number of 'unfortunate accidents' that could befall a young noble far from home..., "What qualities do you possess, Kazma of House Bastion, that would make you a better ruler than your father? Why should his vassals bend knee to you and not to him or whomever he chooses to succeed him? Why should the people of his lands toil, sweat, and bleed for you? By what 'right' would you demand his holdings, and how worthwhile is that 'right'?"

Lyra held up a hand, a gesture to preemptively silence any rebuttal the young noble might be conjuring up, "Do not be in a hurry to answer those questions, Kazma. Just think about them, truly think. The answers may surprise you."

Ahh but she owed the lad something more, did she not? He'd answered her question, an answer in turn was only fair. Very well, she would give him one, though answers from Lyra betrayed little and typically served to stoke a soul's curiosity all the more. She had a certain way with words, a way that turned them, twisted them and used them to drill into the depths of the mind. Most people spoke just for the sake of it, as though they were in desperate need of dispelling some massive internal pressure. But Lyra's words... served a purpose, and they did not return to her without fulfillment.

"I will tell you a story, little lord, listen closely. In the High Lands of the Far North, beyond the reach of the Ascendancy and the Matriarchy alike, where the shores are rocky and kissed by winter all year round, there existed a small fishing village. Long ago, the young people of this village were known for partaking in a strange tradition. More than a mile from the village's shore there stood a small island, ringed on all sides by sharp rocks and vicious currents, so that no boat could near it. But perhaps, if one was brave enough, foolish enough, one might swim to the island from the village shore. It was said, that special stones littered the island, black and smooth as glass, remnants of old magic. The youths of the village made a sport of braving the artic waters and swimming towards the island, all for a piece of magic stone and a moment of glory. Many tried, many died, none succeded. Eventually the village elders put a stop to it, and for a time, the island was forgotten.

Decades passed, old elders died and were replaced, and the youths became mothers and fathers, and passed stories of their old follies to their children. One boy listened to the old stories with particular interest. He was small for his age, quiet and sickly. There seemed no vital spirit in him, and many thought the soonest plague would carry him away. But the boy lingered, and grew. In time, he defied the old rules and hurled himself into the ocean, driving his body along like a slave, desperate to touch the island's shores. Perhaps the boy was stronger than he looked, perhaps the gods were kind, but by some miracle, he reached the island, plucked one of the strange stones from the sand, and swam back to the village shore. He washed up on the beach half dead, half drowned, body blue from the cold, and a black glass stone clutched in his hand.

The villagers asked the boy, 'Why did you go out there to die?'

Yet even as the boy's strength faded, he merely smiled and replied, 'I didn't go out there to die, I went out there to LIVE.'"

Lyra's story came to an end, and for once she turned to Kazma and looked at him directly, a strange, chilling intensity lingering in that gaze, a cold fire in bright blue eyes. For a moment that flame blazed, and for a moment, it wasn't difficult to imagine that that flame might leap forth and devour all the world, "Limits, Kazma. Men and women are defined by their limits, they exist to be broken."

The young woman turned from the little lord and chuckled lightly, the old fire dying down somewhat as her gaze swept back across the ocean, back towards the destiny that awaited each and every soul aboard this ship, "I will cut my teeth on Kaldun, it should be interesting to see whether it breaks first... or I do."

"The villagers asked the boy, 'Why did you go out there to die?'

Yet even as the boy's strength faded, he merely smiled and replied, 'I didn't go out there to die, I went out there to LIVE.'"

Erik listened from the side to Lyra's tale intensively. He waited until she finished talking to Kazma before speaking himself.

"I imagine the boy must have been very disappointed when he found out he had almost died for a chunk of obsidian." he said, turning to face Lyra. "I'm assuming that's what it is, since you said "black glass" and the island you described sounds like it was volcanic in nature. Most islands in the deep North are, since the properties of the earth there are unstable." Erik thumbed the bronze stag head of his cane a bit. "My mother used to own a scalpel made of obsidian. Shined like black gold but didn't do anything magical. Aside from peeling flesh really good."

He then realized that he had suddenly jumped into a conversation between two people who didn't even know who he was. He took his fingers off the cane's head and held his hand out to both Lyra and Kazma. "Hi, I'm Erik."

Rayis Ezel

It wasn't long after Jake spoke that the last person got aboard the boat. Looking into the distance it was a similar situation with the other boats. One of the crew stepped outside from the interior of the boat to make an announcement. "We're setting out; everyone must come into the interior. Once we have finished up top, you will be able to come back out onto the deck if you wish."

Rayis stood and turned towards Jake, "I think that answers your question." Without saying anything else he and many others headed towards the entrance to the interior and walked inside. Walking inside and down some steps he could see various rooms with bunk beds and such that he could only assume would be used by the students. Or at least he could hope. Overall it wasn't anything impressive but he didn't expect it to be.

Turning more so towards the front of the boat he found a small table with a few chairs around it and decided to sit down.

Jake Croga

I think that answers your question.

Nodding and standing he walks after rayis, stopping because of the massive influx of body's he waits till most have walked inside. Stepping in the door and walking down the steps slowly he looks around.
Well, that's not to bad. At least its out of that wind and we can rest some in those beds if we wish.

Looking around more he can see rayis walking to a table to sit down. Having spent some time with him already he looks around more and walks down the middle of the large room. Saying hi to others and shaking their hand when he can.
getting to the back he looks back over the room, blinking in surprise at how full it is and how many people have gotten onto the boat without him realizing. Walking back down the room he snags a bed and jumps onto it, laying down using his pack as a pillow.
It's probably going to be a long trip. May want to be well rested before getting there.

Kazma gazed out over the docks, he really was thinking about her words as much as he was listening to her tale. He'd thought plenty about this for months now, but how to express it into words to this inquisitive well spoken girl? Someone else cut into their conversation while he was still thinking, Erik if he had heard correctly. "The boy didn't live Erik. He did die for a pointless rock, and very selfishly. Now one less man to help feed his family, chop wood for the fire, tend the animals. All because he wanted to test himself, or maybe it was just for the glory like the other boys wanted. Whatever his reasons, they were wrong. With him paying the ultimate price". Kazma stepped about to see the face of Eric, to see the one who had so much optimism about the world. He shook the still strangers hand. "Kazma Bastion. I hope Mr. Eric you take this lesson to heart. Common sense will keep you alive. Its amazing at all that boy made it back to shore at all". Kazma looked up at the dark clouds rolling through the sky. "And I'll think on your words Lyra, I'll have an answer soon enough. For now, it seems we must retire to the interior". Kazma gestured to the cabin doors.

"Either way, aren't you a little short to be a ghost?"

"Right, there it was." Gaius looked to the sky for a second, seemingly counting on his fingers. "That was... 1 minute, 9 seconds for the short joke. Which I have, unfortunately, heard before. You talk slow. And are a bit of an asshole." Gaius beamed, and looked over the edge with the boy, at the fog and the ocean. Gaius' own personal element. He could never understand his colleagues enthusiasm over such things, but perhaps he was jaded.

"Well, I'm off." He announced after a few seconds, wandering off and whistling. Luckily, the captain gave an order, everyone to the interior. Gaius seemed to have gained his sea legs already, but he had to suppress laughing at those who hadn't.

Interiors weren't exactly special, he'd seen true decadence on his trips out with his father. Brief respites, wasn't smart enough to take his nose out of a book. Perhaps if he had, he wouldn't be here today. Perhaps he'd simply be assassinated by his siblings, wouldn't that be fun? He chose a desk with a kid on it, looked nervous enough.

"Mind if I sit here?" Gaius asked, once he was seated across from him.

The boy who'd attempted to startle Petrichor into falling over the side of the boat seemed offended at a short joke.
There is no accounting for hypocrisy, I suppose.
The crew announced that the students needed to go under decks, so the sailors could work. He glanced about, shrugged, and headed in.
There were bunks here. Thank the gods.
He quickly claimed one of his own, and laid down to finally sleep.
He found his thoughts turning to the boy he'd talked to.
I hope he isn't really angry with me. Making enemies when we've not even left the harbor, what would my mother say.
He rolled over and dozed off, thinking of his home: next to his family, heading off to far destinations, instead of stuck in this creaky boat.

Rayis Ezel

Rayis looked at the... Boy? He was quite short but he wasn't sure they were young either. Anyway he didn't want to say anything that possibly could offend them so he simply nodded his head, "Uh... Um sure, I'm R-Rayis Ezel, and you're?" He asked.

"Uh... Um sure, I'm R-Rayis Ezel, and you're?"

"I am many things. Right now I'm a bored, and too far away from my families money to do much about that." Gaius looked around, tapping the sides of his chair and humming.

"... I'm also Gaius Orvar. Father's important, I'm less so. And a summoner. Seemingly the only one." He sounded a little frustrated about the last bit, but his face never changed, his faint smirk all but plastered in place. "Waiting for a friend? Or just waiting to land?"

Rayis Ezel

So this guy is also from a noble family? That's two thus far, he thought to himself. "T-There will no doubt be more Summoners at K-Kaldun... As for waiting for someone," he said and then shrugged. "J-just hoping the ride isn't too long. What about you? Just bored or something else?"

A voice chimed in an added its two cents to Lyra's little parable. The icy young woman cracked a genuine smile and shook her head softly, allowing herself a small chuckle, "A pleasure, Erik, Lyra. Those words paint you either charmingly coy or remarkably dense, I suspect it shall be quite amusing to see which proves true over the next few months. You're quite right though, magic lives in people. A shiny rock is just a shiny rock at the end of the day."

The sailors put out a certain call, and slowly but surely the youths began to clear away, retiring to the lower deck. She nodded as Kazma's gesture urged them follow suit, he was a polite enough fellow, even if he hadn't caught the full grasp of her words, "It has been a treat, little lord. Though I should mention, I never did say the boy died...."

Lyra took her leave, strolling away towards the lower decks, feet as sure on the gently pitching deck as an old sea dog's, a sense of ownership in her stance and manner, something regal drawn about her shoulders and trailing languorously behind her more majestically than any coat or cloak. Some people needed distinguished names to lend credence to their nobility and others did not. Some people we ruled by the ever shifting currents of life's strange oceans, and others mastered them. This was simply the way of things, Lyra knew which side of the line she stood on. After all, Lyra remembered.

~~~~
She remembered the boy on the beach, the smell of the sea on him, how he staggered as she helped him to his feet. She remembered the strength that lingered in him even in this weakened state, the steel unbending that would shake a village to its core. She remembered the boy, and she remembered the man. The man who would whisper sweet things to her on dark nights, the man who would forge an empire. Lyra remembered him, though he was buried a thousand years before she was born. She knew him as the girl who helped him stumble back towards the village knew him. A salt water puddle reflected the couple for a moment. The girl did not quite look like Lyra, neither did the man, bun in the set of their faces and the blue of their eyes were echoes of the scion to come.

Lyra remembered the man, and she remembered the chants of the people. The voices that had called him weakling and fool now rising to new heights to give him glory.

"All hail the Chevar Ye. King of the Ever Winter Seas and the Northlands."

"Kazma Bastion. I hope Mr. Eric you take this lesson to heart. Common sense will keep you alive. Its amazing at all that boy made it back to shore at all."

"Common sense will keep me alive. Totally was not aware of that." he thought sarcastically. He didn't say it out loud since that would be rude. Instead he nodded. "I'll make sure to keep that in mind, Mr. Kazma." he said with a slight smirk.

"A pleasure, Erik, Lyra. Those words paint you either charmingly coy or remarkably dense, I suspect it shall be quite amusing to see which proves true over the next few months. You're quite right though, magic lives in people. A shiny rock is just a shiny rock at the end of the day."

Erik smiled back at Lyra. He was a bit confused but what she meant about him either being coy or dense, but he certainly seemed to have made a positive impression on her. Better than how most conversations with girls went when he was younger. As the others on board started moving below deck, Erik briefly followed behind Lyra.

"The pleasure's all mine miss Lyra. I don't believe I'm charmingly anything though, so I suppose it's the latter." he said. "I'm not clever yet, but I'm working on it."

Erik eventually entered the belly of the ship, breathing in relief as he took a seat. Across from him two other boys were seated; one the shy fellow he saw earlier and the other a dwarf. Seeing someone shorter than himself was a surprise to Erik. The two seemed to be making smalltalk, so Erik decided to sit idly by and eavesdrop a bit.

His eyes wandered towards the window as he sat and listened to their background conversation. Even though there was no sun to be seen through all the gloomy clouds, it was clear that the sky was getting darker. "Must be getting late...probably time for my medication now." he thought. It was probably earlier still than Erik assumed, but better to take his drugs sooner than later. He produced a small red vial from his coat pocket, uncorking the top and holding it up to his mouth. After the liquid content passed through his throat, Erik placed the vial aside and breathed out.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked