The Return of Queen Anne's Revenge: Chapter 1: Another Ship on the Barbie (Closed, Started)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

In 2077, the human race reached a significant landmark: Interstellar travel. A joint effort between the USA and the Federated States of Europe resulted in the first airplane-esque cruiser capable of exploring the galaxies beyond ours. Since the was a government operation however, the first few decades of space travel were heavily restricted to officials and trained astronauts.

However, in 2156, a NASA consultant named Logan Rainier leaked the schematics of the engines that allowed for travel to Pluto and beyond on the Supernet. This opened up space travel for the general masses and resulted in many groups of people from across the globe building their own crafts and jetting off into the stratosphere like the pioneers and gold rushers of old, looking to stake their claim to their own piece of paradise in the stars. By the 2300s, dozens of human colonies had been established on other planets and in 2320, these new planets linked with a unified Earth to form the Planetary Group of Planets (there were no consultants on the naming process, since Rainier's actions were met with a ban on consultants on Earth and Earth was in control of the name.)

With this new order in place, the PGP embraced expansion to other resource-laden chunks of rock in the known reaches...under it's supervision. With Earth calling the shots as the most populated and most heavily armed nation in the group, there was a return to the strict government-mandated only space travel, and many of the younger planets became dependent on the PGP for shipping any goods on and off the planet, but some residents weren't thrilled to be under the thumb of the galactic government. Their forefathers wouldn't have taken it, and neither would they!

Unlicensed spaceships began to spring up in different corners of the galaxy offering to take the jobs that weren't considered clean or legal enough for official PGP sanctioned vessels. They would be run by crime families looking to exploit mistrust in the system, less scrupulous business owners looking to make a quick buck, or people who feel they are properly subverting the PGP by offering the service. The man financing the runs of the Queen Anne's Revenge, falls into the latter two categories.

Our enterprising financier is based in Hanan Pacha, a planetary system initially colonized in 2174 by astronauts on behalf of the SACA (South America-Central America) Union. Scott Viduka owns the largest bar on Neoteno (shorthand for New Tenochitlan), The Dingo's Snarl, and it's earned him a fair amount of revenue...that the PGP sees fit to tax heavily. So he's turned to an alternative source of income to supplement. Working with a couple of mechanics, he's crafted a large spacecraft capable of transporting cargo, groups of people, important people, and can handle a dog-fight or two against some of the more aggressive ships. He's assembled a crew capable of both manning the ship to proper transportation specifications, and putting up a fight against any hostile invaders intent on preventing him from making his money. The word has been put out among his more trustworthy patrons that the Queen Anne's Revenge is ready for takeoff!

The first crew meeting will take place in the VIP back room of the Snarl on January 9th, 2343

All right, been a while since I started up a new RP, and really I'm not starting this one, but yeah, this is a joint effort between myself and Lefthandofgod. He came to me because he wanted to try and run an RP but wanted someone with experience to help him since this is first time, and I have a character who I thought got short shifted in a prior RP attempt I wanted to bring out, so here we are.

Anyway, as you might have guessed reading the prologue, this RP is going to be similar in structure to Firefly. We're aiming for a roster of 9 people including ourselves to make up the crew, and myself and Lefthand will be handling most of the NPCs, although we may call in outside RPers for certain roles or "villain" gigs if the RP calls for it. In the beginning, crew members have been called to The Dingo's Snarl with an offer from Viduka to man the ship he has commissioned. There may be an existing relationship with Viduka, or even if you want to discuss a relationship with another applicant before joining, that'd be cool too, but as a crew, everyone's just coming together here.

Good thing I had those old rules on hand. Anyway, here's a blank sheet that you guys can fill out.

If there are any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Either myself or Lefthand will be happy to answer them. Let's see some good sheets, people!

The crew of the Queen Anne's Revenge:

A couple of questions spring to mind:

- What kind of technology will the (main) characters be commonly using? Are we talking laser pistols and energy shields, or just your usual firearms? (Maybe even swords and such?)
- - What kind of medical gear would be common?

- Is there a limit on how much our characters may bring on board the ship?

- Are cybernetic limbs in use?

- Is humanity the only race among the stars, or are there sentient non-humans that might get involved at some point?

- What kind of weaponry does a ship like the QAR possess?

That's all I got for now. Might have more later.

Color me intrigued. Also, I would like to add to CounterAttack's questions. There's a good chance I won't be able to partake, though.

-When you say we shouldn't disappear for a lengthy amount of time, what do you consider a lengthy amount? Hours? Days?
-As a related follow up, what Time Zone are those running the RP in? If you are in a different timezone, there isn't much point in someone like me bothering due to the above reason and schedules.

-How quick or slow do you expect this RP to be? Are we talking people actively posting and replying to each other in rapid fashion? Or just a post or two a day?

-On top of technology, would powers, like ESP or some other sort, be a thing? VR? Holodecks? Mental interface with computers? Looking to get an idea of how fantastic or realistic things should be.

-Is there a character limit? One per person, or could one person control a more than one? Like say a villain or bounty hunter.

-How would disputes between players be resolved? PMing the GMs? OoC in the thread? Secondary Chat Group? Animal sacrifice? I presume that the GMs word is law.

-Any special rules for fighting?

-If I start with a dark liquor, how long should I wait to drink a white liquor?

No matter what, even if this is my last post in the thread, Good Luck! I hope it goes well.

CounterAttack:
Snipped

Saltyk:
Snipped

- What kind of technology will the (main) characters be commonly using? Are we talking laser pistols and energy shields, or just your usual firearms? (Maybe even swords and such?)
The guns here, while ahead of our time, are still firmly low-tech. Only the most advanced military equipment would have energy weapons. Most ships are equipped with shields (not blowing up is usually considered a worthwhile investment on illegal ships) but you'll find some of the poorer ships just try to avoid fire and spare the cost.

- - What kind of medical gear would be common?
In a field kit? Anticoagulants and coagulants, ReCell spray on skin (no joke, this already exists), morphine, A small laser for attaching small body parts that, for any of several reasons, fell off. You'd also have standard items, such as gauze, antibiotics, etc., that you'd find in modern med-kits.
Medical bays would of course vary depending on access to medical supplies, which usually means government ties. Most stuff is available on the black market, but we can just say that any Med-bay is equipped for basic emergency surgery, bullet wounds and stabs and the like.

- Is there a limit on how much our characters may bring on board the ship?
That depends if it makes sense for your character. I'll say you can bring what you like for the time being, but myself and Neo reserve the right to veto any of your choices if it looks like you added them while snorting coke.

- Are cybernetic limbs in use?
I spent a long time debating this idea, and, to be honest, I don't want it in the RP. It's a little too advanced for the time, and I don't want to encourage people to write sheets where they give themselves a superpower (speed, strength, etc.) and justify it with cybernetic limbs.

- Is humanity the only race among the stars, or are there sentient non-humans that might get involved at some point?
All people all the time. All these planets were barren until various governments and organizations terraformed them.

- What kind of weaponry does a ship like the QAR possess?
We have one omni-directional gun, designed to handle small ships and raiding vessels. The gun fires a jet of liquified, electrically charged copper-nickel mixture. The heat, force, and magnetism from the shot is designed to overload shields, damage light points in the hull, and distort or destroy navigation and computers. Bear in mind, this gun is like firing a big ball of money at the other guy (hundreds of gallons of copper and nickel ain't cheap) so it's only a last resort.

-When you say we shouldn't disappear for a lengthy amount of time, what do you consider a lengthy amount? Hours? Days?
Honestly, just try not to be gone more than a week. I've been in RP's before that tried crazy paces (trying to do a page a day back in SoJ was murder) so I'd rather have a slow pace and finish the story as opposed to everyone burning out in the first two weeks because everyone felt the need to write 12 paragraphs about how awesome the toast was at breakfast.
If you're going to be gone for an extended or indeterminate period of time, write your character in such a way that they can stay on the backburner for a time while you're gone. If something comes up suddenly, PM Neo or myself and we'll see to it. IF YOU DISSAPEAR OF THE FACE OFF THE EARTH I WILL THROW YOUR CHARACTER INTO ORBIT AND THEY'LL LAND ASS-FIRST ON THE SPACE NEEDLE.

-As a related follow up, what Time Zone are those running the RP in? If you are in a different timezone, there isn't much point in someone like me bothering due to the above reason and schedules.
I'm in California myself, and Neo is drunk a lot and complains about Mooses, so I figure he's in Canadaistan. We often RP with people as far away as NZ or the Neatherlands, so I think you'll be fine.

-How quick or slow do you expect this RP to be? Are we talking people actively posting and replying to each other in rapid fashion? Or just a post or two a day?
Probably a post or two a day once the RP finds it's pace and everyone gets their rhythm.

-On top of technology, would powers, like ESP or some other sort, be a thing? VR? Holodecks? Mental interface with computers? Looking to get an idea of how fantastic or realistic things should be.
No powers. I don't want to give much, if any, leeway on that concept, as I'm worried I'll just end up GMing a superhero RP. It's too tempting to give your character a kick-ass power. VR wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility. Holodecks might be a thing on luxury ships, but smugglers ships like ours wouldn't have any need for our own personal episode of "Fantasy Island"

-Is there a character limit? One per person, or could one person control a more than one? Like say a villain or bounty hunter.
Nothing set in stone. If you write one good character or ten, I'll accept them. but bare in mind I might only accept one.

-How would disputes between players be resolved? PMing the GMs? OoC in the thread? Secondary Chat Group? Animal sacrifice? I presume that the GMs word is law.
If you can't solve it in character, talk in OoC. If you still can't solve it, Neo or myself will step in.

-Any special rules for fighting?
Godmodders get thrown out the airlock and land on the last jackass who's still on the space needle.

-If I start with a dark liquor, how long should I wait to drink a white liquor?
Dark is better for red meats with higher protein content and certain hard cheeses. White is for fish, with the exception of tuna, and usually made to accompany lighter foods in the middle of the day.

I'm interested in this. Should have a sheet up later tonight.

I'll throw in my two cents on a couple of questions. Also, I told you LH could think up worse stuff to do to you than I could (Although he really needs to learn how much better Canada is than California...)

How quick or slow do you expect this RP to be? Are we talking people actively posting and replying to each other in rapid fashion? Or just a post or two a day?

In the end I think it is going to be determined by the people we accept in. Personally, I'm comfortable in both settings, although I would like to see this one have a quicker pace than my other RP, which has taken two and a half years to get a third of the way through the plot I envisioned when I started it.

Is there a character limit? One per person, or could one person control a more than one? Like say a villain or bounty hunter.

For the actual crew, there will likely be a one sheet per person limit, but as stated, if you think you've got a good idea for a villain or plot NPC or another character you feel can make an impact, don't hesitate to send it to us.

How would disputes between players be resolved? PMing the GMs? OoC in the thread? Secondary Chat Group? Animal sacrifice? I presume that the GMs word is law.

Well of course our word is law. Wouldn't be a proper world without it. However, I think there is room for compromise if need be. I planned on getting a Skype group up if everyone who got accepted had it so we could discuss things in there without filling the thread up with OOC posts, but if people don't have it, then that would be the likely method.

If I start with a dark liquor, how long should I wait to drink a white liquor?

You should wait until you're dead, and even then, I wouldn't drink that with a zombie's mouth. Dark rum and whiskey are liquids of the gods, white rum and tequila are terrible and ruin stomachs.

Well I can certainly say this sounds all sorts of shiny. Question: Any room for a mechanic with a penchant for things that go BOOM?

@Engimatic: There may be room for a mechanic, however giving them a love of explosions sounds almost counter-productive. Please elaborate.

NeoAC:
@Engimatic: There may be room for a mechanic, however giving them a love of explosions sounds almost counter-productive. Please elaborate.

Neh? What queer talk is this? What good machine man worth 'alf him salt not got love for the BOOM? BOOM give him his job, BOOM give life to every metal monster man done raised up since dey set fire to water and rode boats upriver! Since dey broke the hydrocarbon chain and went rovin' across all the earth in chariots of steel. So you tell me, tell me what good fixin' man don't bow at the altar of force, fire and flame, whether he knows it or not! The boom is god, is magic! Man touched the stars first with the boom at his back, all that great ruckus sending his tin rockets up to the high heavens! The 'splosions may be quieter now, but dey still there, tell true! You callin' me crazy, I knows it, and perhaps that turn is true 'nough, but I'm a damn fine mechanic, and I'll keep yo ship chuggin' along on not but breath, bolts, and God's good BOOM if that's all we're left with! The great bang caused all the universe and tell you true, all things will end with a bang too! Give Tick a chance and I'll fly wit you till den.

In Short: So yes, there's some eccentricity there, because eccentricity is what we call batshit insanity when it proves itself useful more often than not. Tick is a very skilled mechanic, desire to 'tweak' engines notwithstanding, and hell, if a job or situation ever dictates the usage of heavy ordinance... well, better to have than have not. I suspect this is what comes of the cultural diversity born of a mass human exodus to space. Sometimes you get lovely, enlightened pan-Asian nations, and sometimes you get a group of folk who set themselves up as miners on a distant moon, and over the decades, end up thinking God is an explosion.

This looks cool, I'll have a sheet up soon.

Looks interesting, I'll have to think about this one...

EnigmaticSevens:

NeoAC:

Neh? What queer talk is this? What good machine man worth 'alf him salt not got love for the BOOM? BOOM give him his job, BOOM give life to every metal monster man done raised up since dey set fire to water and rode boats upriver! Since dey broke the hydrocarbon chain and went rovin' across all the earth in chariots of steel. So you tell me, tell me what good fixin' man don't bow at the altar of force, fire and flame, whether he knows it or not! The boom is god, is magic! Man touched the stars first with the boom at his back, all that great ruckus sending his tin rockets up to the high heavens! The 'splosions may be quieter now, but dey still there, tell true! You callin' me crazy, I knows it, and perhaps that turn is true 'nough, but I'm a damn fine mechanic, and I'll keep yo ship chuggin' along on not but breath, bolts, and God's good BOOM if that's all we're left with! The great bang caused all the universe and tell you true, all things will end with a bang too! Give Tick a chance and I'll fly wit you till den.

In Short: So yes, there's some eccentricity there, because eccentricity is what we call batshit insanity when it proves itself useful more often than not. Tick is a very skilled mechanic, desire to 'tweak' engines notwithstanding, and hell, if a job or situation ever dictates the usage of heavy ordinance... well, better to have than have not. I suspect this is what comes of the cultural diversity born of a mass human exodus to space. Sometimes you get lovely, enlightened pan-Asian nations, and sometimes you get a group of folk who set themselves up as miners on a distant moon, and over the decades, end up thinking God is an explosion.

Well well, I'll have to see what makes Tick tick, I suppose. You best write up a sheet so we all can get a better picture.If he's sane enough, there might be a spot on board.

Got a sheet for second-in-command in the works. Going to edit it in here once I'm done.

I'll write up a sheet so!

Really interested in this!

But just a few questions:

What are the major military groups in that time? PMC's or do the coalitions still keep standing, professional armies?

What kind of weapons are on board/allowed on the ship in case there are some troublesome intruders?

Would prosthetic be okay since cybernetic limbs are not?

How large is the ship?

Actually, a quick question before I finish up my sheet. How advanced is melee weaponry? Are stuff like vibroblades or energy swords common?

Lefthandofgod:
All people all the time. All these planets were barren until various governments and organizations terraformed them.

What about an uplifted animal?

Mr.Ivebeenframed:

What are the major military groups in that time? PMC's or do the coalitions still keep standing, professional armies?

The major powers in the known inhabited universe, such as the PGP, and SACA would have their own armies set to defend their interests. However, there are known mercenary groups that can be hired by nations, by private interests, and by less than reputable groups to do their bidding. They are especially favored by some of the early trillionaire settlers, who want nothing more than to protect their fortunes.

What kind of weapons are on board/allowed on the ship in case there are some troublesome intruders?

There is an allowance for small firearms for protection. However these are no larger than a pistol. Only the Enforcer/Gunners would normally carry anything approaching the size of an assault rifle, and certainly no ordinances that would be capable of damaging the hull of the ship.

Would prosthetic be okay since cybernetic limbs are not?

Certainly they would be allowed, but they would only be marginally more advanced than the technology that is available at this time. We said no cybernetic limbs because we don't want people RPing with Rose McGowan's shotgun leg, or Ash's chainsaw arm, or Go-go Gadget Shark repellent or lock cutter, or whatever the hell magical tool could be pulled out of their arse to make them look the hero. So yes, you can have fake limbs, but they aren't going to do much.

How large is the ship?

It is fairly large, but that is mostly due to the cargo bay. There are sleeping quarters for the crew on board, as a couple spares for more well-off passengers, but they are fairly small. At the opposite end of the ship from the bay, along the hall, there is a kitchen/dining room area, a sick bay, a longue area and general hygeneic facilities on the way up to the bridge, which is the nerve center of the ship.

Deu Sex:
How advanced is melee weaponry? Are stuff like vibroblades or energy swords common?

Most melee weapons work as well as they did in this time, and are made of similar materials. Swords, bats and the like with any sort of technological advances in them are outlawed by both the PGP and SACA as "pirate weapons" under the death penalty. Some criminals are able to get some of the more skilled technicians to get mods into them anyway, or even do it themselves, but due to the strict penalty, they are rare.

Asclepion:

No. I'm going to highlight this again.

Lefthandofgod:
All people all the time.

So no sentient animals on the ship. Besides, Viduka is allergic.

Wel, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested. Might have a sheet up over the weekend if I can, and I would certainly be interested in a potential villain role. I've always wanted to write a villainous character.

Lefthandofgod:
IF YOU DISSAPEAR OF THE FACE OFF THE EARTH I WILL THROW YOUR CHARACTER INTO ORBIT AND THEY'LL LAND ASS-FIRST ON THE SPACE NEEDLE.

As a Seattleite, I feel somewhat honored to have one of our attractions used for this purpose.

I'm interested. There's a sheet in the making.

Where would a normal, run of the mill prosthetic robotic hand rank on the scale of being allowed vs not being allowed? Just so I know whether or not to edit my sheet accordingly.

Thoughts? Opinions? Delusional rantings?

Knife-28:
Where would a normal, run of the mill prosthetic robotic hand rank on the scale of being allowed vs not being allowed? Just so I know whether or not to edit my sheet accordingly.

Absolutely normal prosthetic hand? One that doesn't allow for Vulcan death grips or crushing diamonds in your palm? I see no problem with that.

Athol:

Thoughts? Opinions? Delusional rantings?

Looks good so far. It's nice to see at least one sheet up. I was beginning to think that this RP was timed horribly and that everyone was busy playing GTA V. Now depending on if you're accepted for one role or the other, I would think the sheet would be edited yes? Medic's don't need to be carrying SMGs around.

NeoAC:
Looks good so far. It's nice to see at least one sheet up. I was beginning to think that this RP was timed horribly and that everyone was busy playing GTA V. Now depending on if you're accepted for one role or the other, I would think the sheet would be edited yes? Medic's don't need to be carrying SMGs around.

Yeah, I've forced myself to back off a bit on GTA, so I don't over indulge as it were (too much of a good thing and all that). The thought for the SMG was a throwback to her military service; as a combat medic she'd of carried a rifle same as any other soldier, and that thought of always having something more than just a pistol carried over. (That being said I'll drop the SMG no problem if you want).

Athol:

NeoAC:

Yeah, I've forced myself to back off a bit on GTA, so I don't over indulge as it were (too much of a good thing and all that). The thought for the SMG was a throwback to her military service; as a combat medic she'd of carried a rifle same as any other soldier, and that thought of always having something more than just a pistol carried over. (That being said I'll drop the SMG no problem if you want).

Well, we don't know if it'll be necessary to drop, she may get the gunner spot which allows for such weapons. Anyway, thank you for prying yourself away from Los Santos enough to get this up! (I may just be bitter because I don't have the money for GTAV ATM.)

Because what's a fantasy space western without space nobles too?

I'd be happy to hear any thoughts or criticisms or dark enchantments to bring forth horrors unknown concerning my character. ^^

So, good? Bad? Anything that I need to expand on or fix?

Criticisms welcome.

Hope everything's good with this sheet but as always, I accept any criticisms or suggestions that may come my way.

EDIT: Well....totally did not see Knife's character up until now... *gets started on a second sheet*

Mr.Ivebeenframed:
SNIP

Heh, funny how we both went the 'Former military pilot who now flies for whoever pays well' route. Ah well, guess you know what they say about great minds eh?

NeoAC:

Asclepion:

No. I'm going to highlight this again.

Lefthandofgod:
All people all the time.

So no sentient animals on the ship. Besides, Viduka is allergic.

"People" was vague.

http://io9.com/5961226/when-does-an-animal-count-as-a-person

Asclepion:

"People" was vague.

http://io9.com/5961226/when-does-an-animal-count-as-a-person

It means they're only intrested in Homo Sapien Sapiens.

Hmm might add a bit more later, its late and i need to sleep!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked