Gato Community College. (game thread)

Pages PREV 1 . . . 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

"Mira, take point then, and it should go without saying if anyone spots a trap then let us know."

Mirabelle wasn't too sure how to feel about all this, being elected to be a shield...AGAIN. Granted, she did kind of agree to it the first time, setting the precedent, but that was because it was Will's idea and it was a part of TRAINING, not an actual, real life mission. Still, everyone was waiting for her...so she mentally stopped complaining and moved on.

Once they got inside...well, by all accounts it looked like a Hotel but why one would be here...who knows. She honestly stopped questioning everything the moment she saw the demon-whale thing.

"Guess this is where we play 'find the right door'."

"Quite, perhaps the wrong doors might lead us to the correct one? A sort of clue if you know what I mean?"

She personally only could guess at what Daniel meant but she guessed he meant that each door would possibly have a clue on if the guy had gone in or not and them peicing what he prefered from the general nature of the rooms themselves to track which one he'd likely hide in? Either way, whatever he meant, it would be prudent to actually check the doors first before trying to locate any patterns or clues.

Of course, opening doors all whilly-nilly wasn't really efficient and was prone to causing accidental repeats, so she decided to go down them one by one, left to right. Moving to the first door to the left of the entrance, she opeded up the door to see...a rack of clothes obscuring her vision. Of course she could hear stuff to and she did, though it was mostly just random talking and murmuring, seemingly in Italian, with a muffled voice on speaker somewhere, announcing something. Of course, she ventured a peak, only to see...more clothes. Clearly something was going on and she wanted to know what she so she gently opened those up...to a line of various European women, applying makeup and getting dressed in what looked like some crazy fashion show get up. Seeing enough she closed the clothes and closed the door, moving on to the next one.

"I mean, what exactly are we looking for?"

She stopped and looked back at Alfred, quite loudly thinking to himself.

"Do we know where he'd go? Did he leave, or are we looking for a door "further" into this place?"

She thought for a moment and said, "I'm thinking, since the whale-thing is blocking us from just going through the window, we're looking for a way "up"." before looking into the second door. In it she saw...what looked to be an unocupied observation station she guessed. Looking up, she could see...well, a sea, though one that seemed to get darker the higher it went. Within it, there were strange monstrosities that she could scarcely call fish swiming about, though none seemed to even give pause to the room she was looking into.. She stared for a few moments before closing the door and shruging.

Juliet moved with the group, making sure to mark doors they'd already checked to avoid them repeating themselves if they had to double back. At the same time she kept her senses on high alert; listening, looking and even smelling for any sign of their target.

"This is going slowly," she muttered to herself, then sighed knowing there wasn't much to be done to speed it up. She checked another door finding a sterile looking hallway filled with beds, quiet save for the beeping of heart monitors and the occasional cough.

She closed it and marked it off.

"We've got to be narrowing in on him," she said "keep an eye out."

Sierra closed another dud door, then just looked at it for a moment before just hunkering down and examining the door it self for any clues they could use, while the others kept opening doors.

The enchantment on the door that was causing the portals was complex and layered, which it would have to be for it to work like they do. She then compared the enchantment on that door to it's neighbors, and found them to be identical, which struck her as odd given portals like these needed destinations coded into them, so she opened the door, closed it, gave it a second, then opened it again, and got a different location. "Son of a Bitch ..."

"Finally figured it out eh?" a female voice said from above her. Sierra looked up in time to see the person hop down from the second floor down to the first. She was dressed casually, not tight, but not lose fitting jeans, high top shoes, a t-shirt with the Overwatch logo on it, which was tucked away behind a fairly normal black leather jacket. Apart from her average bust size the rest of her figure was pretty much concealed by her clothing and general stance. She had a skin tone that normally would have suggested she was from one of the islands in the pacific, but her facial structure said 'European'. She had her hair tied back in a low pony tail, exposing her pointed ears, which aside from her stilted gold eyes, was the only indication she wasn't human.

Sierra, upon getting a good look at this person, froze for a second, then in a move that probably would have shocked every one there, dropped down and kneeled before her.

Daniel had searched through another half dozen or so doors, trying to find something, anything really, that would point the team in the right direction of their target; so far, nothing of substance in that regard. During his search though, Daniel felt a mighty presence in the air; someone or something possessing a powerful aura was nearby. He pulled back the part of his coat that hid his sword, having it prepared in case of a battle.

Looking back at the doors, Daniel thought to look at the doors themselves, rather than what laid beyond their thresholds and reached out with his angelic perception. As his vision shifted a little to accompany the change, he noticed that the three doors before him had a similar, yet still a rather complex pattern engraved on their surface, the lines giving off a faint glow.

'Remarkable, these patterns remind me of the dialling codes used to operate the Argarthan Network. I wonder if they function the same?' Daniel asked with curiosity in his voice, just as he was about to reach out and touch one, he was interrupted by a voice from above.

"Finally figured it out eh?" Whoever it was, it was certainly female, and when he turned around he saw a figure drop down to the centre of the room. Walking over to the balcony, he saw a woman with long silver hair, who stood at an inch shy of six feet, her skin lightly tanned, and who dressed in a somewhat casual fashion.

To the untrained eye, she looked like a normal human being, but the fact that her eyes were golden and slightly stilted, and the fact that Sierra had knelt before this woman, showed Daniel that this was more than just some random stranger; it meant she was one of the Queens. Sensing the aura from before, but this time without distraction and at its full power, he knew which one it was.

"Ah, Rozalin, surprised to see you here. To what do we owe the honour, of having an audience with a Queen of the West?" He asked with a small nod as a sign of respect.

Solomon Thorn

Sol spent some time trying to get the door up, but it soon proved to be pointless, as it seemed to be stuck. Not just stuck as in "he did a bad job trying to pick the lock", but stuck as in "it keeps changing and it's impossible to keep up". He had suspected it would be the case, but from the looks of it, the others didn't have much luck either, so at least he hadn't wasted more time than anyone else. Sierra cursed as she opened a door twice, apparently none of them were set in where they lead to.

So it doesn't really matter which we open. Well, that sucks.

It seemed like this would take forever. Regardless, he sighed and stood up, stretching as he thought of a different kind of solution to this issue, though it apparently fell from the sky. Or jumped down from the second floor.

"Finally figured it out eh?"

Confused, Sol looked at the recently arrived woman, giving her enough benefit of the doubt to not point his gun at her, but still making sure to keep it close, just in case. There was something off about her, the color of her eyes, her ears, but most of all, the fact that she was there. No normal people would be in a place like this, that was for sure. Sierra showed a surprising amount of respect of the newcomer, and Daniel seemed to know exactly who it was.

"Ah, Rozalin, surprised to see you here. To what do we owe the honour, of having an audience with a Queen of the West?"

He raised an eyebrow. Queen of the West, one of the demon queens, right? Sierra's reaction to the woman certainly had hinted at that. Meeting the queen's eyes, he took off his hat and gave her a court nod, more to not to piss her off than to show her respect. Sol was, after all, a man of god, getting all cozy with demon lords wasn't exactly on his list of things to do. Still, he stepped a bit closer, careful not to move too quickly or act too rashly. Hand still in pocket, close to his gun, but at the very least he was being polite.

"No offence, miss Queen of the West, but if you know how to traverse these doors, mind letting us know? We need to have a friendly chat with the guy that's hiding up here." Sol would've asked her why she was there, but it was probably best not to pry while asking for a favor. He looked at Sierra, hopefully she'd back him up on the question as well.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alfred Frye

Alfred opened doors here and there, taking note of which ones had been opened and which hadn't. Some of the others had a orderly way of doing it, but overall it didn't matter to him what the order they opened doors in was, he'd remember everything either way. The different doors led to so many locations, it was difficult not to simply imagine all the different possibilities it could bring.

I'd love to be in control of this place. It would be great both for transportation of myself, items, and other people, as well as simply hiding.

Well, apart from the fact that the doors seemed to lead to very particular locations.

Do they all just lead to random locations, or would it change if we tried it repeatedly?

It was an interesting question, but if that was the case... well, then this would be a lot more difficult. He watched as Sierra seemed to figure something out, and, as she did try to open a door repeatedly -being met with different locations each time- it became clear that they weren't going to succeed by doing this, and he stopped.

"Well, that's certainly a bit of an issue."

"Ah, Rozalin, surprised to see you here. To what do we owe the honour, of having an audience with a Queen of the West?"

Alfred gave the queen a polite bow, but he wasn't going to go as far as Sierra had. He knew to show respect for a queen, and certainly could be a bit of a sycophant if need be, but he didn't feel like it was his place to do so this time. He'd heard whispers about Rozalin here and there, and he doubted he could fool her with half-assed pretense of respect. He didn't spoke, as he He looked to Sierra and Juliet, they seemed like they were the ones in the best place to speak up. Instead, Sol was the one to continue the conversation.

"No offence, miss Queen of the West, but if you know how to traverse these doors, mind letting us know? We need to have a friendly chat with the guy that's hiding up here."

Alfred examined the Queen to ensure she didn't feel insulted by his tone or anything by that. Of the people there, Sol was the most vulnerable and easily killed, so it was probably best to shield him if Rozalin seemed like she might attack.

Rozalin gave a light wave of greeting, then turned to Sierra. "You can get up. I appreciate you 'respecting the rank', an all but no need to go super formal with it, a light bow would have been enough since I'm not here on any official business." she then turn her attention to Daniel as Sierra stood.

"I am going to visit a friend. Our team got called out by some wanna be 'pros', and we intend to grind them beneath our heels in one big LAN party." Rozalin said.

Sierra then jumped in to explain exactly what Rozalin meant. "Lady Rozalin has taken a keen interest in online competitive video games. Not sure which ones though." To witch Rozalin just replied "Overwatch is the subject tonight."

Rozalin then turn to Sol. "Assuming the person your after lives here. Your probably boned. These doors lead to private residences, with the shifting destinations being a security system to keep unwanted individuals out. So unless your invited in, or are other wise authorized by the person living there, your flat out not getting in."

Sierra just signed. She could probably hack the doors but it might take longer then any one was willing to wait for.

But before the fact that they couldn't actually complete the mission full sank in one of the doors flung open on the second floor, and out stepped a man, dress in what could be called 'casually formal' give him was in a nicer suit for the most part, but at the same time it wasn't 'super formal' like a business suit or something of the like.

He looked around, spotted the group, and Rozalin. "Your grace, I would appreciate it if" he stopped when he noticed Daniel, a rather surprised look crossing his face, before letting out a short 'ha!' "Brother, I must say I am surprised to see you at all, let alone here of all places. Come, join us, we can catch up a bit."

Rozalin, checking her watch. "Hey, is 'Leeroy' in there, Phanuel?" Rozalin asked, then from with in the room another guy stomped out, this one being the guy Sierra and Sol had seen early "I don't care if you are a queen stop fuc ... oh." his outburst cut short when he saw the group.

"I am going to visit a friend. Our team got called out by some wannabe 'pros', and we intend to grind them beneath our heels in one big LAN party." Rozalin said in response to Daniel's question, with Sierra briefly stepping into to say that the Queen had taken an interest in online competitive video games. "Overwatch is the subject tonight."

No surprises there, given the shirt you are wearing, then again, Overwatch is astoundingly popular from what I recall.

"Assuming the person you're after lives here. You're probably boned. These doors lead to private residences, with the shifting destinations being a security system to keep unwanted individuals out. So unless you're invited in, or are otherwise authorized by the person living there, you are flat out not getting in." In response, Daniel internally sighed in frustration.

I would wager that either Rozalin or our target isn't going to simply let us wonder in. Sierra 'might' get a pass because of who she works for, but that is debatable. Either way, we are basically stuck for the moment.

Whilst this thought was going on in the Angel's head, one of the doors on the second floor swung open with a mighty thud and out stepped a rather human-looking man, dressed in a casual, yet still smart looking cream coloured suit; the top button of his shirt undone.

Looking up at his head, Daniel saw a short mane of dark brown, slightly grey looking hair, the lower half of his face adorned with a slight stubble, indicating that the man had recently shaven. His dark blue eyes gave off an incandescent glow, and his aura felt familiar to Daniel. "Definitely angelic," He thought.

The angel in question briefly looked around at the group before focussing on Rozalin. "Your grace, I would appreciate it if" He stopped mid-sentence as his attention returned to Daniel and in that moment, the exiled Archangel recognised his kin instantly, it was none other than Phanuel, Angel of Repentance and Hope, or in some texts, Fate. A surprised look crossed his face for a moment, before letting out a short "Ha!" before proceeding to speak.

"Brother, I must say I am surprised to see you at all, let alone here of all places. Come, join us, we can catch up a bit."

"I could say the same for you Brother, but I get the feeling there is a purpose here. As for a chance to catch up, perhaps a bit later; all the same, it is, nice to see you." Daniel remarked with a smile and a small nod.

"Hey, is 'Leeroy' in there, Phanuel?" Daniel could hear Rozalin ask, moments later, another man stepped out of the same door, and stood next to his brother. "I don't care if you are a queen stop fuc ... oh." The man's voice cracked when he saw the group, a bead of sweat coming off his brow.

"So, Mr. Jenkins, what have you got to say for yourself?"

As far as Mirabelle was concerned, this mission had taken a turn for the...well, strange wasn't the right word. Still, after one of the demon queens showed up, things devolved into a sort of 'convenient madness', she guessed she could say. Apparently she was just passing by, Daniel met one of his brothers, and the guy they were chasing was friends with both. Of course, the fact that they were all friends was convenient since, from context, it seemed like they wouldn't be able to get to him otherwise, though on that front, she was a bit skeptical. Every security system has a weakness, everything does so, with the proper knowledge, she figured that they would have been able to force their was in in some capacity...the only problem with that would be their need to rely upon Seirra, Daniel, and possibly Juliey to figure it out due to the other half of the team's lack of knowledge about magic. Either way though, that didn't matter now. What did matter was the question of what we were going to do about this guy.

Obviously, the simple answer would be to take him in...but things stopped being so simple with the presence of those self-same friends that had baitted him out. Of course, it could be argued that they were okay with them taking him away considering what just happened...but if they weren't, even if it was just that he was essential to that game they were going to, she really couldn't be sure that they could pull out anything resembling a victory over them. If they pressed the issue then there would be no chance to complete the mission.

Still, it seemed Daniel was confident that they could at least bring out a confession and apology, if not bring him in, so she decided to wait and see how that worked out before trying anything.

Solomon Thorn

"Assuming the person your after lives here. Your probably boned. These doors lead to private residences, with the shifting destinations being a security system to keep unwanted individuals out. So unless your invited in, or are other wise authorized by the person living there, your flat out not getting in."

"Right. That's... not what I wanted to hear. Still, thanks, it might help knowing how they work," Sol said, and crossed his arms. This seemed like it might become more troublesome than he'd expected, but just as he was about to decide that the entire trip had been wasted, and that he wanted to go back, Daniel's brother appeared, and, without much issue, brought out the target. He wasn't sure if the relief or the annoyance over how simple it actually had been was stronger, but decided to keep a positive outlook, at least for the time being.

So much for this whole thing being failed, and all that. Still, I'd love for this to be resolved this easily.

It seemed unlikely, obviously, but it wouldn't hurt to try to use the opportunity.

Sol couldn't help but eye the newcomer. Well, the most recent newcomer anyhow. He was going to address the man, but Daniel beat him to it.

Sol raised an eyebrow. Did Daniel know the guy? If so, that'd either make this way easier, or way harder. But the angel's voice seemed more sarcastic than familiar, as if joking, and Alfred seemed amused at the name chosen, so perhaps not. Whichever it was, Sol stepped forward, and added to what Daniel had said.

"The gist of it is that we're here to talk, and to see if we can come to some sort of agreement."

Now, it wasn't exactly a lie. They had arrived with the intent of talking and coming to some agreement. And capture the guy, if he didn't come willingly. Or kill him, if worst came to. Still, it didn't take a genius to figure that actually saying that would fuck this whole situation up.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alfred Frye

Alfred was learning quite a lot of interesting facts right now. Firstly was the fact that apparently one of the demon queens played video games. Even Overwatch. Not only did she do that, but she played them with Daniel's "brother", which suggested that demon royalty played video games with angels. Which was an odd thought in itself -surely demons and angels had better things to do than playing video games- but still, it was an interesting fact. So was the fact that apparently the doors acting as they did was a security measure, not their function, as he had assumed this to be some sort of travelling hub or something akin to that. Some sort of station or airport, just for teleporting doors as opposed to vehicles.

Alfred couldn't keep himself from smiling at that, even forcing himself to cough and clear his voice just to avoid snickering. It probably wasn't the right time for that (nor the right company), so he dried his eyes -coughing, fake or not, tended to cause his eyes to run- and kept his mouth shut.

Still, this could either be a very good situation, or a very dangerous one. It just remains to see which one it is.

Alfred wasn't just going to stand by and watch, despite the fact that he was wearing a casual and nonchalant expression while balancing on the back parts of his heels might suggest so. He was simply concentrating, preparing himself mentally for using his powers to shut the door behind this Leeroy guy, and to hinder the target in escaping. He mapped out the best way to do it in his mind, and kept himself ready without actually using his powers, thus ensuring that his intent wasn't being broadcast as some sort of magical signal before -and if- he needed to act. Being the non-protective part of his powers he would not be able to fully trap the guy -let alone deal with the queen and the angel, should they decide to act- but this would at the very least ensure that the others could get the target without too much of a fuss.

Unless, of course, there's interference.

He didn't want to have to deal with a demon queen, he'd never tested himself against one, but something told him that even his perfect defence would prove insuficient against her. A frustrating thought, but one he just had to acknowledge.

For now, at least.

Huh, well this got very busy very quickly. A demon queen here in Limbo? This was unexpected and not something she was at all prepared to handle. It didn't seem like Rozalin was connected to their target at least.

"Not that I'm not impressed to see you here Rosy, but we do have a mission so if you can help that would be great," she said "If not then please get out of the way."

Perhaps someday she'd amass enough power to take Rozalin's seat for herself, but that day was likely a long time off. For now she'd just focus on the task at hand.

Rozalin gave Juliet a 'really?' look, but Sierra then informed Rozalin of why they where there.

Rozalin rolled her eyes, but generally looked displeased. "I was under the impression that you and your Mistresses needs where taken care of and that resorting to theft and other such crimes where no longer 'required' for survival anymore." Phanuel said.

Rozalin, who had 'teleported' in front of 'Leeroy' and hovered there, then added, with a growl to her tone. "Need I remind you that there are a lot of people that would love to flay Shelia alive for no other reason the who her dad was. Your lucky it was just this lot that came after you, next time you might not be so lucky."

Rozalin sighed, floated down to the floor and turned to the group. "Normally I would have no issue with letting you take him in. But there are reasons I can not allow for that in this case." she then raised her voice a little "But if he pulls this shit again I'll have to change my mind on the matter. Ether way looks like I'll be dealing with it." she said, giving him a pointed look as she did before then lowering her voice and flicking a small black ball, that turned into a raven in flight that then landed on Sierra's shoulder. "If Reparations are required, just have Poe here deliver the request to me and I'll deal with it."

The raven cawed and then just sat there.

"By the way ..." Rozalin started again. "Why was Seth asking about Lua? I over heard a little of him and my sister talking before I left."

Solomon Thorn

"Normally I would have no issue with letting you take him in. But there are reasons I can not allow for that in this case."

"But if he pulls this shit again I'll have to change my mind on the matter. Ether way looks like I'll be dealing with it.

Well, that's... anticlimatic.

Sure, he'd hoped that it wouldn't end up in a fight, but at this point it wasn't even a conversation, just someone else handling it for them.

I mean, it's super convinient. But are we supposed to just... let it be like this?

He looked to Sierra, questioningly, she'd know better than anyone else whether this was acceptable or not. She was the only one there with a direct connection to the queen, at least.

"So, do we just... leave then?" he asked no one in particular, yet he said it out loud, adding, -more spesifically to the queen-; "Can we get like, the fact that you're going to handle it in writing?"

He let the question hang in the air, and eyed the bird tht had just startd appearing out of nowhere.

Is that a reply? Or is it... well, just a bird?

Magic bird, anyhow.

"By the way ... Why was Seth asking about Lua? I over heard a little of him and my sister talking before I left."

Sol shrugged, he had no idea what he was supposed to say in regards to that. He didn't even know what Lua was. From how Alfred replied it was a bit of a secret though.

Guess it's connected to the whole undercover thing then.

Alfred Frye

Alfred was a bit amused over how this was going, both over Leeroy getting yelled at for acting out, and because of Sol's request for written proof. The latter would be useful, he supposed, they wouldn't look too good if this turned out to be a trick to get Leeroy out of trouble. Still, he let it lie, the request had already been mentioned, and he didn't want to influence too much.

"By the way ... Why was Seth asking about Lua? I over heard a little of him and my sister talking before I left."

Alfred raised an eyebrow. He'd not expected this kind of question to come up, and the whole situation seemed like an odd one for it to be brought up, so perhaps she was just curious. It didn't seem overly planned or significant, at least.

Not that I can afford to be wrong in this sort of situation, though.

Queen or not, he didn't answer to her, as far as he knew. He did reply right now, though, but mainly because he had the most information out of the ones there -or so he assumed anyhow- and that made it sort of his responsibility. Probably.

"If you don't already know, then I'm not entirely sure if you're supposed to know," he said in a apologetic tone. "So I'm going to play it safe and not tell you, sorry." He crossed his arms, leaning a bit back. "But I mean, you could just ask Seth, if you're so inclined. Or any other person who knows, back at Gato. Your sister, for instance."

"Normally I would have no issue with letting you take him in. But there are reasons I can not allow for that in this case. But if he pulls this shit again I'll have to change my mind on the matter. Ether way looks like I'll be dealing with it."

And just like that, her concerns were realized. Of course, now that she had actually said it, Mirabelle didn't feel as pressured to get him anymore. Maybe it was the small salvo of disparagement she had shot the target, maybe it was the fact that she was above their punching level, but either way she felt like he would have a much worse time with her than in jail. Still though, at least it wasn't really rheir problem anymore.

"Why was Seth asking about Lua? I over heard a little of him and my sister talking before I left."

Lua? She was pretty sure most of them at least didn't know what Lua was and the few who did, weren't talking...so she decided to make a guess.

"Well...i think most of us can agree that we don't know what Lua is...but if i had to guess, it's either something Regalia has been keeping an eye on, or something that they are planning to move on. Outside of that, the only other reason i could think of is that Seth has personal business that involves...whatever Lua is, but i don't see him discussing such a thing with your sister if that's the case. Either way, we haven't been informed about anything like that just yet so unfortunately we wouldn't be able to tell you."

Pages PREV 1 . . . 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here