The Agency: A Secret Agent RP (Recruitment Thread)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hello, I've not GM'd lot of RPs before, but I have been in a pretty reasonable number of them. This is a modern day spy RP set in both Europe and the US (the main HQ will be in London and most of the missions will be in Europe), and it is mission and character based, focused on teamwork and individual effort (the large missions requires everyone involved to do their part). I will use a bastardized version of the Fate system where I've taken the parts I found relevant, and worked it around to fit the RP.

My Co-GM will be IFS.

Any questions or comments are appreciated, and I do hope I'll get to be the GM of this RP. I know there's a lot to read, and probably things I haven't explained sufficiently, so please don't be shy about asking for details/better explanations. Most of the mechanics described in the spoilers will be my responsibility, and you'll not have to try to figure out a bunch of stuff each time you post, simply list the actions you're taking in a spoiler below the post.

Hey everyone I will be your humble Co-GM for this RP, my sheet is below in case people need another example. I'm looking forward to seeing what other people come up with!

This sounds very interesting, I'll write up a character when I have some more time.

Showing my interest, I'll see if I can get a sheet up in the near future.

IFS:
Hey everyone I will be your humble Co-GM for this RP, my sheet is below in case people need another example. I'm looking forward to seeing what other people come up with!

Nice sheet. It'd be nice if you wrote something more about the Pistol-Stunt, as I'd need to know just how far from the target your character can be before it can't be used. I also would like to know his height in numbers, but it's fine like it is (just a personal preference of mine.)

Quintley:
This sounds very interesting, I'll write up a character when I have some more time.

Mortis Nuncius:
Showing my interest, I'll see if I can get a sheet up in the near future.

Sounds good. (:

DarkRawen:

Nice sheet. It'd be nice if you wrote something more about the Pistol-Stunt, as I'd need to know just how far from the target your character can be before it can't be used. I also would like to know his height in numbers, but it's fine like it is (just a personal preference of mine.)

Ah right sorry, I've added in a range for his pistol stunt based off a quick google search.

Comments appreciated ^_^

Mestizaje:
Comments appreciated ^_^

It's a really good sheet, what I have is mainly questions for the sake of clarity. Firstly, how long has she been with the agency? You don't need to give the exact amount of time, but an indication would be nice.

Secondly, I assume she speaks more than one language, right? It's my fault that I didn't mention it earlier, but I want to know when people do, so I'd appreciate it if you put the languages she does speak in the "other" category. (It's also even more my fault for having a character that can only mimic the sounds of other languages >_>)

The last thing is; Does she always bring her van along on missions? Because, while that'll be completely acceptable during missions in Europe, I do intend to have something happen in the US at some point, and thus it would be nice to know if she'll take it along during that time.

DarkRawen:

Mestizaje:
Comments appreciated ^_^

It's a really good sheet, what I have is mainly questions for the sake of clarity. Firstly, how long has she been with the agency? You don't need to give the exact amount of time, but an indication would be nice.

Secondly, I assume she speaks more than one language, right? It's my fault that I didn't mention it earlier, but I want to know when people do, so I'd appreciate it if you put the languages she does speak in the "other" category. (It's also even more my fault for having a character that can only mimic the sounds of other languages >_>)

The last thing is; Does she always bring her van along on missions? Because, while that'll be completely acceptable during missions in Europe, I do intend to have something happen in the US at some point, and thus it would be nice to know if she'll take it along during that time.

I edited the sheet, so now it says she's been with the agency for five years. She is fluent in chinese, japanese, korean, and has a good understanding of english.

Yes, she'd take the van with her.

Mestizaje:

DarkRawen:

Mestizaje:
Comments appreciated ^_^

I edited the sheet, so now it says she's been with the agency for five years. She is fluent in chinese, japanese, korean, and has a good understanding of english.

Yes, she'd take the van with her.

Cool, thanks. It's not a problem with the van, just something I needed to know. I would say that your sheet is accepted, but I don't know how many sheets I'll get yet (or if I'll even get enough), so I don't want to promise anything. I will say that I really like the sheet, though, and that your chances are good.

Edited

Anti-American Eagle:

I'm putting this up for criticism now, I'll fill in anything I missed or correct anything that needs to be corrected tomorrow.

Hm, well, I do have a couple of issues with this sheet. Firstly, I can't allow a character to run around with cyanide capsules. While they may be intended for the purpose of suicide in case your character is caught, just having them provides an edge that I'd only allow as a stunt.

Secondly, there's the thing with the skills. While I don't want the stats to interfere much with the characterization, it still has to make sense. That's why I find it hard to believe that someone with no points in deception nor infiltration could hide their true identity that well, as well as hide a set of wirecutters on themselves. For them to be able to cut through anything thicker than a sewing thread they need to be quite the size, and even if they're foldable... (As stated, the characters will be provided with necessary items before a mission, so it's not like you'd be unable to bring them, it just seems odd that he'd be able to hide them at all times.) It wouldn't be such an issue if it hadn't been for the fact that he has no points in either of the stats that would allow him to do so. (Comparison would be Simon being able to drive a truck despite having zero points in vehicle.)

I do consider the 0 in this case to be the average person/slightly worse than the average person because the characters are spies, but adding at least one point to either D/S or D/I would make it a lot more believable.

Finally, the planning period doesn't use leadership as a skill, though it'll be vital during the mission. I'd alter the stunt, and make it so that if your character needs to step in for the purpose of altering or making sure things are going according to plan, there's a +2 to leadership.

Apart from that, it's a good sheet, and it's nothing major. I do want the issues sorted out, though.

As a heads up, I'm aiming for an investigation/scout type character. Could you clarify - with stunts and gadgets, how often can these be used? I guess using them too often would be rather overpowered, so are you going to restrict their use at all?

Quintley:
As a heads up, I'm aiming for an investigation/scout type character. Could you clarify - with stunts and gadgets, how often can these be used? I guess using them too often would be rather overpowered, so are you going to restrict their use at all?

Well, what I've put down is that they have to be narrow in their usage, or, if they're +3 (or divided like the 5 gadgets in my sheet, over 3(in my case 6 because of two stuns)) rather than +2, there's only going to be one use of them. +2, I regarded as having no numbered limit.

However, this also means that I won't allow the use of them often, and the justification has to be good enough for it to pass. I do think I'll limit them somewhat, in words as well, to make it easier for the players. +2 stunts can be used twice, perhaps three times if the situation is just right, but I'll be the one to look at the uses of the stunts.

Basically, +3 has one use, +2 has two, at most 3 uses. +3 pretty much ensures that it'll succeed (unless you don't have any points in that skill, I suppose) but +2 has more uses, and a higher risk.

For me, it's a pretty brief Bio. If you'd like more details, please let me know and - as always - advice/criticisms/general comments are encouraged and always welcomed.

Edited. I've made relevant changes to the stunts based on the GM's comments.

Lotus_Gait:

For me, it's a pretty brief Bio. If you'd like more details, please let me know and - as always - advice/criticisms/general comments are encouraged and always welcomed.

It's a good sheet, the only criticism I have for it is that the two +2 Stunts aren't narrow enough, as they can be used for a lot of situations, especially the melee one. I assume the D/S is intended for "interrogation", or forcing a single person to do something in a non-combat, and I'd like that to be made clear on the sheet. As for the melee one, it's very open, I'd like you to alter it to a certain kind of situation, for instance, if your character have already been hit and/or failed a melee roll.

That's all, really, the bio is good, if you'd like to add details, feel free, but there's enough info for me to work with.

Ooohhh this looks like fun.

Edited. The stunts are more narrow.

The Harkinator:

It's a decent sheet, and there's not much to criticize, however, there are a couple of details that I'll comment on.

Firstly, I'd like you to narrow the stunts a bit, so that they can't be used for every roll relevant to the skills. Right now they seem like they'd fit every situation.

The second thing is that I, probably wrongly (generic comment about not having English as my first language), refer to the undercover kind of infiltration when using the word. I do assume you mean the breaking and entering kind of thing, I'd just like to be sure. I'd also be interested in knowing if your character is sent in for the purpose of stealing items as well.

Lastly, another question: Does your character speak another language? I know that you might have left it out intentionally because he doesn't, which is completely fine, but I'm just asking to make sure.

DarkRawen:

Lotus_Gait:

It's a good sheet, the only criticism I have for it is that the two +2 Stunts aren't narrow enough, as they can be used for a lot of situations, especially the melee one. I assume the D/S is intended for "interrogation", or forcing a single person to do something in a non-combat, and I'd like that to be made clear on the sheet. As for the melee one, it's very open, I'd like you to alter it to a certain kind of situation, for instance, if your character have already been hit and/or failed a melee roll.

That's all, really, the bio is good, if you'd like to add details, feel free, but there's enough info for me to work with.

Thanks for the feedback, dude! I've made the relevant changes to the sheet. Please let me know if the stunts still need work.

How many people are you looking for by the way? And when will applications be closing?

Anti-American Eagle:

Edited

Looks good! There's nothing more you'd need to fix.

Lotus_Gait:

DarkRawen:

Lotus_Gait:

Thanks for the feedback, dude! I've made the relevant changes to the sheet. Please let me know if the stunts still need work.

How many people are you looking for by the way? And when will applications be closing?

The stunts are fine now. As for how many people I'm looking for, something like 6-8 (with me and Ian's sheet that becomes 4-6 other people), depending on how many different roles I can get people to play. Any more than that would be hard to fit into a mission. I'm not sure when I'll close applications, but after Tuesday, and no later than Thursday.

Ready for critiquing and/or suggestions. ^^

Note: I have edited the sheet some, mostly to tighten up the stunt phrasing and to rearrange the minor skills a bit.

Mortis Nuncius:

Ready for critiquing and/or suggestions. ^^

Hm, there is an issue here, I'm afraid, with the stunts and gadgets. Firstly, stunts can't be split up in +1's, (+2 gadgets can't either), so you'll have to decide on which of the stunts you prefer, and choose that one. Secondly, while the gadgets are cool, I can't give you permission to split up the gadgets like that, as that's a possibility I give to +3 and +4 technician for a couple of reasons (1. balancing the skills a bit, and 2. Because I consider above +2 technician to be the skill needed for being able to construct your own.). As a result of this, I'd advice you to either move one of your skills to technician (though, with your build, that might not be preferable) or choose a single gadget and decide if you want it to be +3 or +2.

Apart from the stunt thing, it's a nice sheet. That and most of the other sheets makes me wonder what the appeal of short brown hair is, though : p (That's not just your sheet, it's every sheet apart from like, 3, even my own. Just amuses me.)

deathbydeath:
Hello.

It's worth noting that I might change the stunts some so that Sandrine has more of a focus on guns, but I'm tired and about to sleep so I figured I'd just post the sheet now and let you know if I decide to change it later.

I see. Well, the sheet looks good to me, there's not really a problem with the stunts, though keep in mind that the getting a +2 to doing something while climbing will go to agility, as I'll do actions while climbing in two ways: Either have a somewhat difficult agility roll first, then whatever skill is relevant, or a rather difficult roll on the skill.

Apart from that, there's nothing I'd like to comment on, just keep in mind that your character can't spend a whole mission climbing.

DarkRawen:
Hm, there is an issue here, I'm afraid, with the stunts and gadgets. Firstly, stunts can't be split up in +1's, (+2 gadgets can't either), so you'll have to decide on which of the stunts you prefer, and choose that one. Secondly, while the gadgets are cool, I can't give you permission to split up the gadgets like that, as that's a possibility I give to +3 and +4 technician for a couple of reasons (1. balancing the skills a bit, and 2. Because I consider above +2 technician to be the skill needed for being able to construct your own.). As a result of this, I'd advice you to either move one of your skills to technician (though, with your build, that might not be preferable) or choose a single gadget and decide if you want it to be +3 or +2.

Apart from the stunt thing, it's a nice sheet. That and most of the other sheets makes me wonder what the appeal of short brown hair is, though : p (That's not just your sheet, it's every sheet apart from like, 3, even my own. Just amuses me.)

Well, my decision for that particular appearance was because I figured it seemed so average, or at least common enough, for most places in Europe that would make disguising that much easier, giving him that edge. :P

Also, I've made some adjustments to the sheet. Let me know if there's anything else you spot that needs addressing. ^^

Mortis Nuncius:

DarkRawen:

Well, my decision for that particular appearance was because I figured it seemed so average, or at least common enough, for most places in Europe that would make disguising that much easier, giving him that edge. :P

Also, I've made some adjustments to the sheet. Let me know if there's anything else you spot that needs addressing. ^^

Heh, yeah, I figured that was most people's reasons for the brown hair thing. Makes me wonder if I should go blonde hair just for the purpose of the characters being easier to distinguish between...

Hm, regardless, it seems I explained what I wanted you to do a bit stupidly, you do get 3 stunts (now you only have 2 it seems) you just can't part them into +1s. So feel free to add another stunt again.

DarkRawen:

Mortis Nuncius:

DarkRawen:

Heh, yeah, I figured that was most people's reasons for the brown hair thing. Makes me wonder if I should go blonde hair just for the purpose of the characters being easier to distinguish between...

Hm, regardless, it seems I explained what I wanted you to do a bit stupidly, you do get 3 stunts (now you only have 2 it seems) you just can't part them into +1s. So feel free to add another stunt again.

Ahh, okay. New edit coming shortly. Gonna be adding that (+1) to Deception/Seduction stunt. Also, think I might give Renart black hair just to change things upa bit. :P

Mortis Nuncius:

DarkRawen:

Mortis Nuncius:

Ahh, okay. New edit coming shortly. Gonna be adding that (+1) to Deception/Seduction stunt. Also, think I might give Renart black hair just to change things upa bit. :P

Make that +1 into a +2, and we're golden. :P

DarkRawen:

Mortis Nuncius:

DarkRawen:

Make that +1 into a +2, and we're golden. :P

Aaaaand done! :D

The Harkinator:

Edited. The stunts are more narrow.

Looks good, nothing more to fix. (:

If the languages are too much, lemme know.

Terratina.:

The languages are fine, she's a social spy, after all, and rely mostly on deception and seduction, as well as investigation and leadership, from the looks of it. I can't see anything wrong with the sheet, it's good. The use of her skills will be interesting as well.

Terratina.:

Considering the rather broad sweep of fluent languages I wrote my character to know, I doubt you'll have to worry. :P

EDIT: Well, there you have it.

Here's my character - switched to a high planning/leadership build as there are a lot of infiltrators already.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Put one-off deception stunt up to +3.

Quintley:
Here's my character - switched to a high planning/leadership build as there are a lot of infiltrators already.

Let me know what you think.

Cool, I was waiting for your sheet. Hm, apart from the fact that a one use +2 would be a strange choice (considering one use stunts are allowed to be +3) it's a good sheet. If I understand it correctly, you say that you're willing to do off-site parts during some missions? Or is that me reading too much into it?

For everyone: I'll choose sheets tomorrow (UK tomorrow).

DarkRawen:

Cool, I was waiting for your sheet. Hm, apart from the fact that a one use +2 would be a strange choice (considering one use stunts are allowed to be +3) it's a good sheet. If I understand it correctly, you say that you're willing to do off-site parts during some missions? Or is that me reading too much into it?

For everyone: I'll choose sheets tomorrow (UK tomorrow).

Ok, I'll change that to a +3. I'm happy to do off-site mission control type stuff in some missions, my character is not the best field agent anyway considering that she can't run, sneak or fight.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked