They Walk Among Us: A Paranormal Monster-Hunting RP (closed to new characters)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

They Walk Among Us: A Paranormal Investigation RP

The world breathed a sigh of relief on December 21st, 2012 when - contrary to popular belief - the world DIDN'T end. The Mayans were wrong and the thirteenth Bak'tun started without issue. Instead, everyone got to enjoy a particularly normal holiday season while the world kept on spinning.

However, unbeknownst to most, it did change. At midnight on the 21st, things slipped into our mortal world; things not seen in the last thousand years. Some call them "Demons", others prefer "Extraplanar Entities" and yet others prefer the simpler term "Monsters". Whatever you call them, most agree that whatever they are, they're a threat.

Had humanity been caught unaware by the resurgence of monsters, the world really might have ended that cold December evening which makes it all the more fortuitous that humanity was prepared. The Mayan calendar was but one - admittedly popular - hint of what was to come. Nostradamus had likewise predicted their return when he said "The gods will make it appear to be humans. That they will be the authors of a great conflict: Sword and lance before heaven is observed as serene. so that on the left hand there will be great affliction." The many religions of the world had there own prophesies ready to be fulfilled. Scientists had been measuring strange fluctuations in sensitive measuring equipment during the weeks leading up to the 21st. Many had an idea of what was coming and took steps to ready themselves for the new age.

Now it's 2018. Since their return, a secret war has been fought in the shadows against the greatest threat the world has ever not seen.

The Factions

Several groups independently formed to fight back the darkness. When the darkness finally reared its ugly maw, the organizations struck out; fighting for survival and forging alliances with their newly-discovered contemporaries and compatriots. So far, each group has remained separate for a number of reasons - primarily so that should a single group fall, the others can remain solvent. Different organizations have different overall goals, some of which are compatible with other organizations, some of which mutually exclusive. The organizations are as follows:

Arcana

The magic of the Cabal and some mystically-adept individuals, Arcana uses the power of the monsters to their advantage. These can take three different forms, each with it's own advantages. Crossover isn't unheard of, but it is rare since it requires splitting focus between multiple fields and reducing your ability with each.

Divinity

Divinity magics allow the user to call on the mystical energies of the universe without material components, but it's uses are more limited. Unlike Arcana, crossover between fields of study is common since each group of magic is so limited. It can be used by Knights Templar, other religious orders, and some faithful individuals/small groups.

Advanced Technology

Used by The Foundation, The National Biological Warfare Defense Analysis Center, U.N.I.T.E.D., The Consortium, and most individuals/small groups; Advanced Technology is the same mundane technology we use today. Rifles, radios, planes, rockets, etc. If it has moving parts, it's Advanced Technology. This tech is less effective against monsters than other kinds of weapons - such as Augmented or Extraplanar Technology - but is cheaper, infinity replaceable, and better than basic tool like a sword or spear. They can be affected by Blessings and Prayers and cannot corrupt the user. I won't go into specific details of Advanced Technology since it's similar enough to today's technology that there should be no difficulties.

Extraplanar Technology

This technology are the prototype tools constructed by The Foundation. It is constructed of the bio-matter of Extraplanars killed. Unlike Augmented weapons and armor, it uses only the physical properties of the material. These properties are emphasized and enhanced by mundane technology to create powerful tools against the Extraplanar. Extraplanar technology can be used by The Foundation, The National Biological Warfare Defense Analysis Center, U.N.I.T.E.D., The Consortium, and particularly affluent or connected individuals.

No person has enough resources to gain more than a handful of pieces of Extraplanar Technology since it has yet to be mass produced and what few pieces are in short supply and high demand. That said, the extraordinary number of possible devices producible allows for almost any tool to be created. Examples include:

Incorporation

Image by wll4u on Deviantart

Incorporation is a skill unique to monsters. While the augmentation process prevents incorporation, The Turned and Bound creatures retain this power. A Monster can eat some of a creatures bio-matter to take its power. Unlike Augmentation which can only make an incomplete copy of the power, a monster's incorporation absorbs all of the creature's power. Like Augmentation, it takes some time before it can take effect (about a day for most Turned), but once the power is incorporated, it's yours. Some powers are more difficult to incorporate (such as a Kaiju's size), while others are easy (such as the claws of a werewolf). Monsters have been seen doing this to each other at times and it appears that's how the particularly power monsters are formed.

This power works on monsters and humans.

The Monsters

The monsters take many forms. Some hide among humans, slowly feasting upon them and growing stronger. Others live in the still-dark places, biding their time until just the right moment to strike. Some are intangible apparitions who feast upon the souls of their targets, while others take a more physical approach - drinking the blood or eating the body. Some are so small they act more like a disease than a demon, possessing and growing like a virus. Others are sky-scraper sized monsters hiding in the oceans, feeding on whales. Others are so alien they cannot be properly described in a generalized way. Finally, some take recognizable forms from mythology - Vampires, Werewolves, Minotaurs, Dragons, and so on.

Due to the shear diversity of the monsters, describing them by physical characteristics has proven next-to impossible. Instead, they are organized by threat level - Type I through Type V

All creatures can be harvested for supplies - for Foundation/Consortium study, for Cabal arcana, for Turned incorporation, for U.N.I.T.E.D. and The National Biological Warfare Defense Analysis Center containment/destruction, or for Knights Templar eradication.

The Game

This game will be a series of adventures. The first mission will be sending you to Boston on the hunt for an unknown Type I or II who's been on a killing spree.

Character Sheet

*Note: None of the above images were made by me and I don't know who made most of them. I in no way take credit for them.*

Special Note: I'm in the market for a Co-GM. If you are interested, please contact me.

Character List:

and

Holy crap this sounds awesome, I'll try put a sheet together in the next couple of days. Leaning towards a Cabal Arcana user.

I remember this from when you had the poll about it. I'm unsure if ill be doing a sheet because i'm not quite sure how the next bit of my life is going to go. But ill look into it.

Ruyi Jingu Bang is the best weapon name.

Mmm... got something cooking in the works. If anyone's thinking of rolling a Cabal Binder or someone with that sort of skill set, send me a PM, we might be able to cook together! I've a pet monster for you....

hiei82:
Snip

Well I am up for this good sir. This idea looks good as grand.
I shall put up my sheet up here and I welcome all kinds of feedback! :D

So yeah, don't worry if you have a problem.
Just give me a PM and I shall respond quick as possible.
(Unless I am sleeping due to Australian time.)

I'm thinking of joining but i had a couple of questions. First, can a character have had a parent that was a member of the Cabal if they themselves aren't? Second, can augmented cabal members still have children?

I only ask cause i had an idea for a character that has what's basically an auto-immune disease or something like that due to genes from their augmented parentage, i.e. the extra-planar cells and the human cells are at war and killing her from the inside unless she takes a specific medicine to stop it for a few days. Would that be ok?

figment of mind:
I'm thinking of joining but i had a couple of questions. First, can a character have had a parent that was a member of the Cabal if they themselves aren't? Second, can augmented cabal members still have children?

I only ask cause i had an idea for a character that has what's basically an auto-immune disease or something like that due to genes from their augmented parentage, i.e. the extra-planar cells and the human cells are at war and killing her from the inside unless she takes a specific medicine to stop it for a few days. Would that be ok?

To the first two questions, the answer is yes. You can have cabal parents but never become part of the cabal if you don't like. I doubt the Cabal will like that you rejected them, but you could do it. Augmented can certainly have kids so long as they leave the, ahm, "necessary equipment" un-augmented.

The major concern is that demons haven't been back on earth for very long (only for 5 to 6 years). You'll need to be creative with how that works, but otherwise I've no trouble wit it. Getting the drugs will be somewhat difficult - consider being part of the Foundation, Consortium, or one of the government bodies (a wealthy independent can also work) as a way to fund the drug needs.

Otherwise, have at it.

hiei82:

figment of mind:

To the first two questions, the answer is yes. You can have cabal parents but never become part of the cabal if you don't like. I doubt the Cabal will like that you rejected them, but you could do it. Augmented can certainly have kids so long as they leave the, ahm, "necessary equipment" un-augmented.

The major concern is that demons haven't been back on earth for very long (only for 5 to 6 years). You'll need to be creative with how that works, but otherwise I've no trouble wit it. Getting the drugs will be somewhat difficult - consider being part of the Foundation, Consortium, or one of the government bodies (a wealthy independent can also work) as a way to fund the drug needs.

Otherwise, have at it.

I didn't consider how long the Extraplanar had been around so thanks for that, but if i can't get the mystical part of the disease to work, i'll just make it a regular auto-immune disease instead. At least i'm planning on being in U.N.I.T.E.D. so the drug acquisition shouldn't be to hard.

Also, is Skype going to be a requirement for this rp? I only ask since i haven't had luck in acquiring it for any device that i have currently.

figment of mind:

hiei82:

figment of mind:

Otherwise, have at it.

I didn't consider how long the Extraplanar had been around so thanks for that, but if i can't get the mystical part of the disease to work, i'll just make it a regular auto-immune disease instead. At least i'm planning on being in U.N.I.T.E.D. so the drug acquisition shouldn't be to hard.

Also, is Skype going to be a requirement for this rp? I only ask since i haven't had luck in acquiring it for any device that i have currently.

I'm going to make a skype group, but it won't be required

hiei82:

figment of mind:
snips

I'm going to make a skype group, but it won't be required

Ok, thanks. That's always a concern for me.

Definitely interested, I'll try to get a sheet up sometime tomorrow.

Hmmm... why does this all seem oddly... familiar.

I am interested, will put a sheet up by tomorrow.

Not G. Ivingname:

Whatever that links to seems to have been orbitally bombarded to the point of becoming ash since it apparently doesn't exist anymore...that or the link is broken.

figment of mind:

Not G. Ivingname:

Whatever that links to seems to have been orbitally bombarded to the point of becoming ash since it apparently doesn't exist anymore...that or the link is broken.

Can't get it to work. X_X

Look up Escapist "Darkest Corners."

I don't feel as if this sheet is finished, but all the necessary parts have been filled out.

Sounds amazing and seems like you've put loads of work into it. Just got two questions:

How many players are you looking for?

When will you be closing applications?

Hopefully I'll have time to get a really good sheet together.

= ]

Not G. Ivingname:

figment of mind:

Not G. Ivingname:

Can't get it to work. X_X

Look up Escapist "Darkest Corners."

Yes, I reused the image.

Lotus_Gait:
Sounds amazing and seems like you've put loads of work into it. Just got two questions:

= ]

1) I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 players plus GM

2) I'll probably close applications next weekend, though maybe later depending on how people respond.

hiei82:

Lotus_Gait:

= ]

2) I'll probably close applications next weekend, though maybe later depending on how people respond.

Ok, cool. That gives me time to stitch a sheet together. Working full time up until Friday so that's the most likely day I'll have a good sheet up.

What are the chances of a non-combat-based character being accepted? Although, I guess if the quality of the sheet is up to your standards, then the basis of it shouldn't matter too much?

Lotus_Gait:

hiei82:

Lotus_Gait:

= ]

Ok, cool. That gives me time to stitch a sheet together. Working full time up until Friday so that's the most likely day I'll have a good sheet up.

What are the chances of a non-combat-based character being accepted? Although, I guess if the quality of the sheet is up to your standards, then the basis of it shouldn't matter too much?

I'll accept the best characters submitted; regardless of how combat-focused they are.

EDIT: Altered to work with Terratina's character, we're hoping to co-op together in this.

Damn, just as I'm ready to post someone else posts an augmentation Cabal guy... oh well. They're different enough.

Edit: Added some more to the Arcana part of the sheet and editted that section a bit, hope that's okay. Figured I'd try to match up the strength of some of the other submitted sheets for once.

Edit 2: Also added a picture drawn by myself.

Edit 3: Gave him neat werewolf-boots.

As always I appreciate feedback.

Here's my sheet, let me know if there are any problems with it. I might give him a few extra powers relating to his undead status, but I want to be sure that his current augmentation isn't too much first.

Edit: Made him less immortal.

Comments Appreciated ^_^

Hopefully that's good, though feel free to tell me anything that needs improving.

I don't see this asked so I want to here, what's the highest type of monster a turned character can be?

Here's my contribution. Let me know if he's alright, and if there's anything I need to change.

[EDIT 1]: Made minor edits to Other and Appearance, as well as History to account for another possible Templar character making it it. I left it somewhat ambiguous just in case.

booksv2:
I don't see this asked so I want to here, what's the highest type of monster a turned character can be?

Type II is my limit

Wasn't sure about the limits of augmenting. I picked a few fun creatures to rip powers off of. I can provide links to them if needed.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked