The Branching Paths: The Pilgrimage (Interest Check/Recruitment)

In Feudal Japan, a former Buddhist temple stands in serene elegance. The complex is modest and grand all at the same time, housing a well-kept main temple, a courtyard for physical training and lectures, beautiful gardens interspersed between the different living quarters, and a farm that the inhabitants sustain themselves with. A man-made stream diverted from a nearby river runs through the grounds and when the sun sits high in the sky, the whole school is gently shaded by a mountain range only a short distance away. A large village is a few days' journey away but the grounds already has the facilities to make supply runs far and few between, allowing students to fully focus on their training and different works. The buildings are maintained and populated by a well-respected master and his devoted followers. The monks here train themselves to become better people in mind, body, and spirit under the firm, yet gentle teachings of Master Natsu Katsuhira.

Katsuhira himself is of low upbringing. After a childhood, which extended into young adulthood, of thievery and senseless violence, he had a child. The realization that his lifestyle would put his child on the same hellish path as him struck, and so he forsook his old ways and ran off on his own. A kind Buddhist monk took him in at the age of twenty-five, with his newborn baby named Shu, and taught him to seek the inner truths within himself under his guidance and the teachings of Buddha. Over eight years, Katsuhira progressed well in his training and found the love of his master's daughter, bearing a second son, Hiro. Soon after Hiro's birth, the teacher passed away along with his daughter, and the other followers left to settle elsewhere, leaving Katsuhira the temple grounds with which to honor his former master's memory. He made the decision to re-open the monastery. However, instead of as a strict Buddhist environment, he opened it to troubled youths like he once was. His vision was to give them a chance to better themselves in a environment that encouraged introspection, spiritual awareness, and the ideal of being kind toward your fellow man. The School of Branching Paths.

The monastery has functioned in relative peace since it's rebirth as an alternative school of sorts, eighteen years ago. Given the social climate of the time period, bandits and the occasional stray soldiers turned raiders were the brunt of opposition they faced. To offer self-defense, Katsuhira taught his students the same style of martial arts his teacher taught him, an unorthodox discipline dubbed "Bonsai Style". The namesake comes from the style's openness to change and personal interpretation, meant to represent the many different paths the branches of a Bonsai tree can take.

Students have come and gone and Katsuhira has aged to 50. Shu and Hiro have advanced to leader roles of the disciples and have begun shouldering the load of managing the school. Though old, Master Katsuhira still engages with his pupils with the same vigor he always has. However, he knows he doesn't have many years left and seeks to teach his students their final lesson before his death.
--

This RP is what I plan to be the first part in a trilogy. It deals with Master Katsuhira taking his sons+students on a pilgrimage that will advance them to the level of their training from which they won't need his guidance. It will be a Historical Fantasy Action/Adventure RP.

Bearing the genre of Historical Fantasy, things will be period-based. Characters will do a lot of walking on dirt paths and things of that nature. The fantasy comes more from the spiritual aspect of the story and some of the enemies characters will encounter. Content-wise, things won't get grimdark or anything but the storyline will delve into mature, realistic situations.

This is where I'll edit in everybody who I've accepted into the RP. If, by chance, things start to move and you don't think I'll see your sheet, just PM it to me and I'll let you know.

-Accepted Character Sheets-

Hey, here is a character I'd be happy to submit.

The reason she is half-Chinese is simply because I know far more about that culture, and I don't know a huge amount about that period of Japanese culture (basically Shogun 2: Total War), and so I can blame any mistakes I make on simply being ignorant of the culture.

I've also thrown in a huge amount of plot hooks that you can feel free to use in any way you wish; the mother, the feather, her fate, her business, does she belong in Japan, etc.

If there is an issue, let me know, yah?

L. Declis:

Hey, here is a character I'd be happy to submit.

The reason she is half-Chinese is simply because I know far more about that culture, and I don't know a huge amount about that period of Japanese culture (basically Shogun 2: Total War), and so I can blame any mistakes I make on simply being ignorant of the culture.

I've also thrown in a huge amount of plot hooks that you can feel free to use in any way you wish; the mother, the feather, her fate, her business, does she belong in Japan, etc.

If there is an issue, let me know, yah?

No issues. The multicultural aspect is interesting and has potential as a character point. You're in.
--

+ One New Thing +

I added 'Fighting Style' as an added criteria in the Character Skeleton. This is to serve as a way for me to judge attention to detail with combat and to encourage further depth when building a character.

Updated Songqing with a Fighting Style. Google "Ling XiaoYu" from Tekken if you'd like an idea.

EDIT: Now included an OC picture because everyone else had one.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked