Day's End, Ends Meet

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

We begin in the year 2042. The Awakening happened a couple of decades ago, and it didn't happen quietly. All over, hidden genetic code activated and people gained impossible abilities for seemingly no reason. A few years of super-powered vigilantes and super-powered villains were followed by a couple years of martial law, with the whole thing ending in the Awakened Human Precaution Act. The act requires that all Awakened humans and the children of all Awakened humans are forced to sign onto an international registry. These Awakened humans are monitored carefully, with any vigilantes being strictly punished, and any felons being killed on sight. The act and registry lead to the stigmatization of Awakened Humans, to the point where many are homeless and cannot find employment. Sometime this year, a group of Awakened Humans were contacted by an individual who refers to herself only as 'The Matron', and invited to her mansion in the backwoods of Washington State, Stevens County. This RP will be their story of survival, life and strife in a world that fears and hates them, as well as the darkness that follows on from such humble beginnings.

----

Hello! In this RP, you will be playing as a bunch of superpowered homeless people who have been invited to live with a supposedly wealthy benefactor who is offering you pay for an unspecified profession.

What could go wrong?

This RP is not about wish-fulfillment of playing a superhero, and is more about playing through poverty and difficult circumstances with a set of abilities that mark you as an outsider and pariah. You will have a small family of others like yourself in this journey, and your story will slowly increase in scope throughout. But that is both the future and spoilers. The story will begin with you arriving at the Matron's Manor, but the story truly begins with your characters. The dossier below is intended in-universe as a profile kept on you by those responsible for the Awakened human registry, and should be filled out as such, but is also intended as your character sheet.

This story will touch on themes of prejudice, poverty, desperation and companionship, and may be considered 'mature' (though not necessarily dark), and so should preferably be avoided by those looking for a light and fluffy superhero romp. This world has passed its golden age of superheroes and supervillains; all that is left now is people, trying to make it in a world that works against them. I hope you will enjoy your journey and stay into these characters and this world.

Of course, there are rules in this, as there are in all things. These rules follow
1. No trenchcoating, godmodding, mary sueing or other acts of poor narrative sport. Any action in said sphere is subject to GM intervention and invalidation.
2. No controlling the characters of other players unless you have been given express permission to do so. Once more, any posts that do as much are subject to GM intervention and invalidation.
3. Don't disappear after one post.
4. Romance is fine. Fun stuff is off forum.

And this is why I rise from the RP graveyard. Im'ma put a Interest/Reserve in here.

NeoAC's grave-born yawn has echoed through the beyond, I too am interested.

Ditto. Time to knock the dust off!
...sometime tomorrow. Gotta get up early.

I live

I'm interested.

Color me interested, I haven't done an rp here in a long time... save me a spot and I'll get back to you.

Interesting. Is this, by any chance, related to Mage: The Awakening, or is the setting something else entirely?

Texas Joker 52:
Interesting. Is this, by any chance, related to Mage: The Awakening, or is the setting something else entirely?

Something else entirely, I've never played Mage ^^'

You don't need to reserve a spot by the way, if more than seven people apply and I like more than seven characters, I won't be averse to making exceptions.

Captainguy42:

This is all good stuff but the sheet is rather riddled with mistakes and dead end sentences. Could you possibly clean it up a bit more? In addition, any felonies committed after the AHP Act would be punishable by death or life imprisonment in maximum security, so you may wish to scrub his record of felonies (though this doesn't necessitate removing felonies from his backstory, just his being caught). His vigilantism as Surge, however, is not a felony under the AHP's 'Good Intentions' clause and so can stay on the record ^^.

Awan:

Captainguy42:

This is all good stuff but the sheet is rather riddled with mistakes and dead end sentences. Could you possibly clean it up a bit more? In addition, any felonies committed after the AHP Act would be punishable by death or life imprisonment in maximum security, so you may wish to scrub his record of felonies (though this doesn't necessitate removing felonies from his backstory, just his being caught). His vigilantism as Surge, however, is not a felony under the AHP's 'Good Intentions' clause and so can stay on the record ^^.

Sounds good, I'll get to all that tomorrow at the moment it's after midnight so I'd likely not be any good at fixing the errors. I'll get to it in the morning. Thanks for the feed back

PrinceOfShapeir:

This is a solid character concept that I like but there are several lore and mechanical notes I'd like to make. Foremost, the compound would've been raided sometime around the institution of the Emergency Powers (2026), when Vagari was four, unless they had some kind of treatise with the government that broke down before the retraction of the emergency powers (2033). Your appearance is written as a description of arrival at the Matron's; this is good writing but would be better left for your introductory post, as the AHP profile's appearance segment is for your identification by government forces who would not have seen you arrive at the Matron's. Possession is a felony, which is a problem for reasons I listed for CaptainGuy but is also solvable by the same merit (I.E. she just hasn't been caught with heroin on her). Finally, Vagari would likely have been interred to a residential school unless she was not a citizen on public record (which is something I can see happening), so if you could be clearer about this matter that'd be appreciated.

Aside from all that there are a few minor grammatical errors, but ultimately this character looks like a good fit ^^.

Alright. I'll edit the profile with the necessary changes shortly.

Edit: Made the changes - removed the heroin charge from her record, changed her appearance to a more clinical one, and added a couple sentences to the bio explaining what Soldiers for God and Christ were doing from 2026 to 2033 - mostly, their leadership was stringing them along while they drove around the Southwest. I figure their claims of religious persecution following the end of the Emergency Powers were what kept the ATF off their back for a few years after they settled down.

Alright, that's a solid character sheet then!
Basically everyone who has posted a sheet is up to scratch, by the way, so you'll all get a chance to join up.

Alright went through and made some edits. Fixed the criminal charges, removing the felonies, and adding some more misdemeanor crime.

Is it too late to post this?

Let me know if I have to change anything, writing up this sheet was a bit more complex than I'm used to...

This is my contribution if you'll have it. I'm completely new to this kind of stuff so forgive me.

CrazyGirl17:

Let me know if I have to change anything, writing up this sheet was a bit more complex than I'm used to...

It's not too late but there are a couple of things. If Emil was born in 2035 then he is 7 by the time of play (The story begins in 2042). Assault is a felony, which is an issue for the reasons listed above (Unless you're willing to accept that if you were ever identified by police you would be shot on sight). Finally if Emil is born post-awakening it is very likely he went to a residential school after being registered (unless he was registered before escaping after the school fight).

spiritGuide:
This is my contribution if you'll have it. I'm completely new to this kind of stuff so forgive me.

Solid character concept and basis, but there are several grammatical issues within the sheet. Additionally, I'm not sure 'mayhem and mutilation' are codified crimes ^^'. We can talk through the problem areas of the sheet grammatically in person if so necessary. Other that that I rather pleased with this character.

Captainguy42:
Alright went through and made some edits. Fixed the criminal charges, removing the felonies, and adding some more misdemeanor crime.

Just checked back over the sheet, it's solid, so you're good to go.

Awan:

CrazyGirl17:

It's not too late but there are a couple of things. If Emil was born in 2035 then he is 7 by the time of play (The story begins in 2042). Assault is a felony, which is an issue for the reasons listed above (Unless you're willing to accept that if you were ever identified by police you would be shot on sight). Finally if Emil is born post-awakening it is very likely he went to a residential school after being registered (unless he was registered before escaping after the school fight).

OKay, thanks for the info. I changed the date of birth and removed the assault charge, but I was thinking in-story that he was trying to hide his powers for years (perhaps I should remove the alias part too?) I might also change the back-story if needed.

CrazyGirl17:

Awan:

CrazyGirl17:

OKay, thanks for the info. I changed the date of birth and removed the assault charge, but I was thinking in-story that he was trying to hide his powers for years (perhaps I should remove the alias part too?) I might also change the back-story if needed.

I would say the alias doesn't really come up and isn't necessary, if that's alright. Change the backstory as appropriate.

Okay, made a few changes, hopefully it will work better. Otherwise, I might keep the back story as-is, unless I can come up with something better. Also, not sure if I should give him a different power or not..

'attached' to an MP3 player in the appearance segment, otherwise looking pretty solid.

Awan:
'attached' to an MP3 player in the appearance segment, otherwise looking pretty solid.

Ok, cool. Fixed that little detail.

Also, is there going to be a group we can chat in Out-of-character, or is Skype to be used instead? I don't have access to the latter at the moment, just to let you know.

CrazyGirl17:

Awan:

Ok, cool. Fixed that little detail.

Also, is there going to be a group we can chat in Out-of-character, or is Skype to be used instead? I don't have access to the latter at the moment, just to let you know.

A group will be established when we start, yes ^^.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Day-s-End-Ends-Meet
Anyone who's posted a sheet will get approved.

Finally found the time to post this!

Pm0n3y:

Finally found the time to post this!

Solid Sheet, no complaints.

I might be interested too, just have a question: What kind of power level (if you can call it that) is 'the norm', for lack of a better word? Is something not allowed/possible, like teleportation or being super fast?

the silence:
I might be interested too, just have a question: What kind of power level (if you can call it that) is 'the norm', for lack of a better word? Is something not allowed/possible, like teleportation or being super fast?

Theoretically there's no limit but overpowered characters tend to lead to bad writing, is what I'll say on the matter.

Awan:

the silence:

Theoretically there's no limit but overpowered characters tend to lead to bad writing, is what I'll say on the matter.

Don't worry about that, I'm more interested in playing weaker characters anyways. Just thinking on what might fit and what not, like how the setting is designed in that way.

the silence:

Awan:

the silence:

Don't worry about that, I'm more interested in playing weaker characters anyways. Just thinking on what might fit and what not, like how the setting is designed in that way.

Essentially speaking, the more clinically understood and interesting the power, and the less edgy it is, the more I will like it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here