Announcing Escapist Expo

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Susan Arendt:

Eleuthera:

Susan Arendt:

Well, you can try Charlotte, which is an hour away. Barring that, there's Washington DC, which is about three hours away. Of course, at that point, the hassle/expense probably equals just flying into RDU.

Thanks I'll look into Charlotte as well.

I did check Washinton and can get there pretty cheaply (~1500$ cheaper then Durham...) So just driving may well be worth it.

Actually, I'm wrong - I meant Greensboro, not Charlotte. Charlotte is more like three hours away. Greensboro is about one.

But dang, $1500 cheaper, get the rental car and drive.

Actually Charlotte is less than 2 hours drive. I drive up to Durham(2 hours)/Raleigh(2 and half) all the time. But yeah Greensboro is a way cheaper airport and much closer.

Susan Arendt:

Actually, I'm wrong - I meant Greensboro, not Charlotte. Charlotte is more like three hours away. Greensboro is about one.
But dang, $1500 cheaper, get the rental car and drive.

Baldr:
Actually Charlotte is less than 2 hours drive. I drive up to Durham(2 hours)/Raleigh(2 and half) all the time. But yeah Greensboro is a way cheaper airport and much closer.

I've checked Greensboro and Charlotte both and Charlotte is slightly cheaper then Greensboro. But both are a bit more then Washington (but still heaps cheaper then Durham). Thanks again for the information, at least this gives me options :)

My wife and I have wanted to get to a convention/expo like this for years, but it's always been too much travel (thus expense and time off). And the main reason we've wanted to go is the chance to meet the folks at The Escapist. We take it in turns convincing each other not to drive by the offices and just stare longingly through the windows...

I don't even think there's a term for just how big a win this is to us! And we're both hoping a Nerf War breaks out...

I'd love to go, but there's no way in hell I can afford a trip across the pond.

Tyro Seri:
will any of the escapist's stars be there? like Yahtzee, moviebob or the guys from No right answer?

Yes on all counts, I think.

Really wish I had the money for this.

Susan Arendt:

Eleuthera:
I already asked this in the PubClub thread, but just to make sure. What (other) airports are reasonably close to Durham (as in rent a car driveable)? Durham/Raleigh airport is prohibitively expensive :(

Well, you can try Charlotte, which is an hour away. Barring that, there's Washington DC, which is about three hours away. Of course, at that point, the hassle/expense probably equals just flying into RDU.

I think Charlotte is closer to 2.5 hours west of RTP, where we are located. There is also huge bus/train next to the American Tobacco campus. You could likely take a plane to Charlotte or DC and a bus or train to Durham, if you were so inclined.

alrekr:
I'd love to go...if I didn't live in England and thus need to take a long (and costly) trans-atlantic flight.

You wouldn't consider franchising out into a European version would you?

This.

So much of this.

I'd wish i could join you there, but i live halfway across the world. :|

Could you guys maybe make a European verision of this?

Guys, believe me, we'd love for this to be such a success that we're able to do a Euro version! So anything you can do to help spread the love and the word would be really appreciated.This is our first attempt at doing something like this and we're a little nervous - every bit of positive energy sent our way would be a big help!

Susan Arendt:
Guys, believe me, we'd love for this to be such a success that we're able to do a Euro version! So anything you can do to help spread the love and the word would be really appreciated.This is our first attempt at doing something like this and we're a little nervous - every bit of positive energy sent our way would be a big help!

Lot's of positive energy incoming... not from me though I'm a terrible pessimist and I don't have any to spare ;)

And to the Euro's who can't attend, there's at least 1 European meet-up a year, it's not a full on Expo, but at least you can chat and play game in RL with some fellow Escapees.

I find this to be very exciting and good news. I really hope it goes well.

And now I shall join the group twiddling their thumbs, waiting for a local oppurtunity for European users.

Dastardly:
My wife and I have wanted to get to a convention/expo like this for years, but it's always been too much travel (thus expense and time off). And the main reason we've wanted to go is the chance to meet the folks at The Escapist. We take it in turns convincing each other not to drive by the offices and just stare longingly through the windows...

I don't even think there's a term for just how big a win this is to us! And we're both hoping a Nerf War breaks out...

Windows? I wish.

This is really bugging me, ever since I read about this announcement.

Why?

Why do an Expo, why do a show? What is the aim, what is it trying to accomplish?

This might sound like a silly question. I mean, why not? Why not support our favourite hobbies? Why not have a place for everyone to gather and enjoy themselves? Why shouldn't the Escapist be able to showcase their own perspective on the industry with a mind blowing Exposition, hold panels featuring their content and/or creators, sell merchandise and benefit from an outpouring of community support? Are those reasons not valid?

I ask this question for a few reasons. The main one is simply; is there something missing that the escapist feels needs to be represented? I remember when E3 closed it's doors to the general public, turtled up and tried to add what they saw as a much needed air of respectability to the industry. When that happened there came into being a void, a feeling of loneliness and exclusion that pervaded the consumer consciousness. Out of this need several things arose, the most notable of these was the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX). PAX's creators were very clear on the outset that they were trying to fill a perceived need in the community, that there was a clearly defined purpose and drive behind their machinations. When it grew too large to feasibly meet their stated goals they expanded and added a new venue, again with a clearly stated goal beyond their own self aggrandizement.

The comics and computer industries have a glut of conventions, each one trying to outdo the other or cater to a niche that is perceived to be under-served. There is nothing wrong with this, each one stands or falls on it's own merits. It's a very darwinian process.

I love the Escapist. I love the content, the editorial style, the community, the insight and perspective it give to and holds on the industry. I just ask, beyond self promotion and a chance to get a piece of the "Expo pie", why? Surely the reason you are doing this is not so self serving, nor is it just a "me too" jump toward saturation. This announcement smacks of "E3 and PAX, but in North Carolina!"

Don't get me wrong, that's fine. If you think that that is something the market can bear, more power to you. But it just doesn't feel like The Escapist. It feels cold and cynical. Where is the unique perspective, for lack of a better term, what is it's Voice?

What am I missing?

Steve Butts:

Dastardly:

Windows? I wish.

Why? They'd only create glare and you know this!

*slithers back into the darkness*

Ysazen:

Why?

Why do an Expo, why do a show? What is the aim, what is it trying to accomplish?

This might sound like a silly question. I mean, why not? Why not support our favourite hobbies? Why not have a place for everyone to gather and enjoy themselves? Why shouldn't the Escapist be able to showcase their own perspective on the industry with a mind blowing Exposition, hold panels featuring their content and/or creators, sell merchandise and benefit from an outpouring of community support? Are those reasons not valid?

I ask this question for a few reasons. The main one is simply; is there something missing that the escapist feels needs to be represented? I remember when E3 closed it's doors to the general public, turtled up and tried to add what they saw as a much needed air of respectability to the industry. When that happened there came into being a void, a feeling of loneliness and exclusion that pervaded the consumer consciousness. Out of this need several things arose, the most notable of these was the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX). PAX's creators were very clear on the outset that they were trying to fill a perceived need in the community, that there was a clearly defined purpose and drive behind their machinations. When it grew too large to feasibly meet their stated goals they expanded and added a new venue, again with a clearly stated goal beyond their own self aggrandizement.

The comics and computer industries have a glut of conventions, each one trying to outdo the other or cater to a niche that is perceived to be under-served. There is nothing wrong with this, each one stands or falls on it's own merits. It's a very darwinian process.

I love the Escapist. I love the content, the editorial style, the community, the insight and perspective it give to and holds on the industry. I just ask, beyond self promotion and a chance to get a piece of the "Expo pie", why? Surely the reason you are doing this is not so self serving, nor is it just a "me too" jump toward saturation. This announcement smacks of "E3 and PAX, but in North Carolina!"

Don't get me wrong, that's fine. If you think that that is something the market can bear, more power to you. But it just doesn't feel like The Escapist. It feels cold and cynical. Where is the unique perspective, for lack of a better term, what is it's Voice?

What am I missing?

The unique perspective, in my opinion at least, comes from you, the community. This is a chance to actually interact not only with the contributors who make The Escapist special, but also with each other in a real-world way. We say this on the podcast today (which isn't up yet, so I know you haven't heard it), but we just plain love games of all stripes -videogames, tabletop, RPGs, CCGs, whatever, and we want to share that love with the community. While we're in a position where we can travel to attend shows with like-minded nerds, not everyone is, and holding a gaming expo in the Southeast - a place with not much else in this kind of spectrum - lets people attend a nerd con who might not otherwise get that chance. Yes, we'll have some of the same aspects of E3 or PAX, because game demos and tournaments are fun social things that will get people to come out and share in the fun. One of our consistently favorite activities is Escapist Movie Night at PAX, which is always a really positive gathering of Escapist fans and family. Escapist Expo is basically that for three days.

I'm not sure why you think we're being cold and cynical. Our ticket prices are really reasonable. We're providing as many different kinds of experiences as we can, to make sure that everyone has a good time, no matter what their gaming preference is. We're bringing our content creators not only because we know that the community wants to meet them, but because they want to meet the community!

Your confusion makes me a bit sad, but I do appreciate that you're phrasing it as a question, as opposed to slinging accusations the way some people tend to.

Ysazen:

Why?

Hrm...

If you read the announcement, I'm not sure I have any further justifications to offer. You can dismiss it as mere band-wagon-jumping, but that, to me, is about as legitimate as arguing that we don't need another pie shop because someone's already selling pie on the other side of town. Our purpose is less to get a piece of the "Expo pie" and more to offer pie in an area where it is otherwise incredibly hard to find. You can consider the things you say you like about The Escapist (the content, style, community, etc.) as a unique flavor. Say, blueberry.

Sorry. That metaphor got away from me a bit.

Like I said in the post, we're doing this for a lot of different reasons, but the foundation of our motivations is a desire to serve the industry and the community with a show that reflects our values and fills a geographic niche.

You may disagree, and that's fine. You are, however, confused about the chronology. The closed-door years for E3 were 2007 and 2008 and PAX started in 2004.

I hope to go. I live in Charleston, SC, so distance isn't an issue. It depends on career/school stuff.

But I completely agree with your reasoning. The Southeast sucks for cultural events (well...except for rednecky ones). We have the Spoleto arts festival here, which I love to death. Tennessee has Bonnaroo. And then...?

So thanks for that.

I am super excite about this. Certain relatives have been pining for a good gaming/nerd con local to us, so I'm hoping to get them attending as well.

Only question: is a 45-minute drive in highway traffic enough to justify a hotel room? I don't have money to just throw around, but the drive to Durham from my house is a major pain.

Ysazen:
This announcement smacks of "E3 and PAX, but in North Carolina!"

...really? That's not what I got from it at all. I'm sure there will be exhibitors - it's mentioned in the announcement, anyway - but that didn't seem to be the main focus of the event. It seems a lot more like a way to get Escapist community members, staff, and content contributors in one place so they can meet, hang out, and play games together.

And honestly, I don't think you can really have a saturation of "getting together and hanging out" gaming cons.

On an unrelated note, this needs a Facebook event.

War Penguin:

.No.:

War Penguin:
So, who wants to give me money to fly from Los Angeles to Durham?

Come on. Don't be shy.

And me. We'll also need money for a hotel (four star at least), and the flight back(first class).
pl0x?

Hey, I asked first!

How dare you.
I said "We'll also need money"
Besides. We both live near LA.

I would be so down for this, but transatlantic flights are impossible for poor students like me. D:

I would love to hit this up!
Its a shame only the entire atlantic ocean is between me and it :(
The line up sounds so good! Well maybe next year.

So... hypothetically speaking... is there anyone in Houston that might toy with the idea of car pooling?

I'm just at the thinking stage at the moment, but I don't really want to shoot the idea down entirely simply because its so far.

Move to Seattle! Then give me a job! And while you're at it, wash my car! And make the weather better here! GET TO IT ESCAPIST.

Right. I'm gonna earn enough to get there.

I'm saying that here, now, that I will earn...however much it would be!

So, yeah. Where can I sign up for volunteering and anyone else from the UK going (or trying to go)?

Steve Butts:

Ysazen:

Why?

Hrm...

If you read the announcement, I'm not sure I have any further justifications to offer. You can dismiss it as mere band-wagon-jumping, but that, to me, is about as legitimate as arguing that we don't need another pie shop because someone's already selling pie on the other side of town. Our purpose is less to get a piece of the "Expo pie" and more to offer pie in an area where it is otherwise incredibly hard to find. You can consider the things you say you like about The Escapist (the content, style, community, etc.) as a unique flavor. Say, blueberry.

Sorry. That metaphor got away from me a bit.

Like I said in the post, we're doing this for a lot of different reasons, but the foundation of our motivations is a desire to serve the industry and the community with a show that reflects our values and fills a geographic niche.

You may disagree, and that's fine. You are, however, confused about the chronology. The closed-door years for E3 were 2007 and 2008 and PAX started in 2004.

I'm going houseboating right around there! But for a taste of delicious blueberry, I might just take a few more vacation days around then.....

Mmmmm. Blueberry Expo....

Someone start a Kickstarter to get Jack and Calumon to the Con, Ill make sure he pins a Calumon plush to his shoulder so you all know who he is.

Steve Butts:
Our purpose is less to get a piece of the "Expo pie" and more to offer pie in an area where it is otherwise incredibly hard to find. You can consider the things you say you like about The Escapist (the content, style, community, etc.) as a unique flavor. Say, blueberry.

My wife and I both truly appreciate the idea of getting more stuff to happen in this region. We always talk about going to various Cons, etc., but the budget is just never there. We could afford registration and travel, or registration and hotel, or registration and food, or registration and maybe a souvenir... but never all of the above (not responsibly, anyway).

For us, the icing on the cake... pie... the iced blueberry pie-cake, is that it happens to be an Escapist-made pie-cake, and we were fans before we knew you were just down the road in Durham.

It doesn't matter how many Cons and Expos are out there in the major metropolitan areas of BigTime, USA. We want -- no, NEED -- one here!

Eleuthera:

Susan Arendt:

Thanks I'll look into Charlotte as well.

I did check Washinton and can get there pretty cheaply (~1500$ cheaper then Durham...) So just driving may well be worth it.

Eleu! You're gonna come? :D

Yaaaaaaay! /o/

sky14kemea:

Eleu! You're gonna come? :D

Yaaaaaaay! /o/

I'm seriously looking into it. It all (well mostly) depends on a friend who's living in Aruba at the moment. I was going to visit him this fall anyway, and I'm hoping I can make the dates for EE and that trip line up. I've already emailed him to ask if he was ok with me coming by the last two weeks of September, but no reply yet... so fingers crossed.

oh, and Yaaaaaaay! /o/

I don't know if you have thought of this, but tons of gamers are fans of the one, the only, doctor who. like you have said before, the doctor has been a hero for many, for lack of a better word, nerds, because he would rather mentally fight battles than actually physically messing someone up. If you could put a whovian section in the expo, that would be fantastic!
:-)

titanwolf88:
I don't know if you have thought of this, but tons of gamers are fans of the one, the only, doctor who. like you have said before, the doctor has been a hero for many, for lack of a better word, nerds, because he would rather mentally fight battles than actually physically messing someone up. If you could put a whovian section in the expo, that would be fantastic!
:-)

Well, since @TimeLord is already (planning on) coming, I think we can assume the Whovian section will be wherever he is at any time...

GaltarDude1138:

Susan Arendt:

Well, they're not an Escapist property anymore, so I'm not sure why you're asking that, except to try and cause some drama. If they want to exhibit, they're welcome to, just like anyone else.

Drama? Haha, no, no, there's enough drama about Mass Effect 3, I'd rather not add any kind of drama to the forums. Apologies.

I was just asking if they did ask for a booth, given the history between you guys, I was wondering if that might cause problems.

But you guys said it won't, so that's good enough for me. And the Internet.

I'd be interested in trying the tactic of going and not paying the Escapist. Then I'll revel in the irony of it all.

SpiderJerusalem:

GaltarDude1138:

Susan Arendt:

Well, they're not an Escapist property anymore, so I'm not sure why you're asking that, except to try and cause some drama. If they want to exhibit, they're welcome to, just like anyone else.

Drama? Haha, no, no, there's enough drama about Mass Effect 3, I'd rather not add any kind of drama to the forums. Apologies.

I was just asking if they did ask for a booth, given the history between you guys, I was wondering if that might cause problems.

But you guys said it won't, so that's good enough for me. And the Internet.

I'd be interested in trying the tactic of going and not paying the Escapist. Then I'll revel in the irony of it all.

If you want to come all the way out here and not buy a ticket, that's up to you. You won't get in, but there's plenty of other stuff in the area. You could always go see the Durham Bulls, who are right up the street. The stadium has great hot dogs.

Susan Arendt:

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.