Escapist Expo 2012 Information and FAQ

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

This thread is a place where you can come to ask any questions you might have about Expo. We will do our best to answer questions promptly and update the general FAQ accordingly. This is not a discussion forum; only posts formatted as questions will be addressed. Please help us keep this thread on topic :D

When: September 14-16, 2012

Where: Durham, North Carolina, USA
Durham Convention Center and American Tobacco Campus

What: Official Escapist Expo Website
The Escapist is launching a premier consumer convention centered around games culture in Downtown Durham! The Escapist Expo will unite fans of videogames, tabletop games, science fiction, fantasy, comics, music and more in a celebration of everything great in multi-media escapism:

• Play - Compete with friends in videogame and tabletop competitions that include Magic: The Gathering, console tournaments , a retro arcade, RPG tables run by professional DMs and outdoor Side Quests complete with laser-tag.
  • Learn - Hear directly from experts and celebrities from across the industry during three-days of panels and discover your new favorite game by participating in game demos and open play areas.
  • Party - Take part in an exclusive evening event, including a performance by The Escapist's own Miracle of Sound, daily entertainment by performers from across North Carolina, after hours bar crawl, and movies on the lawn.
  • Experience - Walk a packed expo floor where you can meet and learn about your favorite companies in the game industry all in one place.
  • All Your Way - Open to consumers and industry professionals alike, registration will start at just $15 dollars a day, with discounts for weekend VIP tickets, students, active military, industry and media.

Will there be a live stream of this event? I live with my parents in utah and I have 1 dollar. A trip to North Carolina and an expo is kind of out of my budget range.

Racecarlock:
Will there be a live stream of this event? I live with my parents in utah and I have 1 dollar. A trip to North Carolina and an expo is kind of out of my budget range.

Living in New Zealand, I'm curious about this too. I'd love for there to be some kind of stream so that people who can't go can still somewhat enjoy it. To those who are going, enjoy it ^^.

s0osleepie:
after hours bar crawl

SOLD.....

Where do I sign up?

So.... I am actually thinking of going to this considering I live in Atlanta. I might be a bit conned-out though since Dragon*Con's two weeks prior. Will the staff mind if I show up merely to harass them about getting a job? :P

Fappy:
So.... I am actually thinking of going to this considering I live in Atlanta. I might be a bit conned-out though since Dragon*Con's two weeks prior. Will the staff mind if I show up merely to harass them about getting a job? :P

Yeah. But if you want to suck up, volunteering is a reallllly great way to do it.

Susan Arendt:

Fappy:

Yeah. But if you want to suck up, volunteering is a reallllly great way to do it.

Oh cool! Is there anywhere I can look to see what needs to be done? I may or may not be working full-time by September, so I'm not sure I can commit to anything this early but I'd definitely like to help any way I can!

Fappy:

Susan Arendt:

Fappy:

Oh cool! Is there anywhere I can look to see what needs to be done? I may or may not be working full-time by September, so I'm not sure I can commit to anything this early but I'd definitely like to help any way I can!

Not yet, but soon! We're still finalizing events and schedules and such, but once our volunteer registration goes up, you can sign up and indicate what your expected availability might be. We won't know specifics to closer to the event, of course.

Susan Arendt:

Fappy:

Susan Arendt:

Not yet, but soon! We're still finalizing events and schedules and such, but once our volunteer registration goes up, you can sign up and indicate what your expected availability might be. We won't know specifics to closer to the event, of course.

Awesome, I'll keep both eyes open until then!

Rawne1980:

s0osleepie:
after hours bar crawl

SOLD.....

Where do I sign up?

Registration will be open VERY SOON at EscapistExpo.com! We will be sure to announce when it is, so keep checking back :)

Susan Arendt:

Fappy:

Susan Arendt:

Will you need help the day before the Expo opens at all? At this rate me and sky14kemea will be arriving on the evening of the 12th so we'd be available to help out before on the 13th and during the Expo if you need it! :)

TimeLord:

Will you need help the day before the Expo opens at all? At this rate me and sky14kemea will be arriving on the evening of the 12th so we'd be available to help out before on the 13th and during the Expo if you need it! :)

*cough cough*

I'm still planning on travelling with you guys, are you just going to leave me all alone in the hotel :(
I can help too. Especially if you need someone who watches other people work, I'm really good at that.

Eleuthera:

TimeLord:

*cough cough*

I'm still planning on travelling with you guys, are you just going to leave me all alone in the hotel :(
I can help too. Especially if you need someone who watches other people work, I'm really good at that.

Ah well in my defence I didn't know it was you that me and sky were talking to last night. xD

Are there going to be any other card games to play at the Expo? I don't play Magic (although I've always wanted to get into it) but I like a friendly game of Yu-Gi-Oh

TimeLord:
Are there going to be any other card games to play at the Expo? I don't play Magic (although I've always wanted to get into it) but I like a friendly game of Yu-Gi-Oh

There will be plenty of open play tables available for both board games and card games alike. Bring your cards! I am sure there will be other attendees looking to play some friendly games of Yu-Gi-Oh as well :D

Will there be Escapist merch for sale at the Expo? Like SplitReason tshirts/Imp hoodies and whatnot?

TimeLord:
Will there be Escapist merch for sale at the Expo? Like SplitReason tshirts/Imp hoodies and whatnot?

Yes! Not only will there be tons of Escapist merch that you can also find online on our SplitReason store, but Expo exclusives as well! We cannot wait for you guys to see what we are working on :)

One of the highlights of PAX East Thursday night was the game area at the Westin. I believe members of the PA staff contacted the hotel and got a section just for them that wasn't interfering with other customers trying to get drinks and other such things, providing an area for members of the community to gather and socialize.

Would The Escapist be capable of or interested in organizing such an area at the Marriott attached to the convention center? (Or I'm assuming is attached, otherwise I booked the wrong hotel).

In addition, is there a resource that has attractions in the immediate area so communities can plan events nearby? The Convention Center site doesn't really detail things like restaurants within walking distance.

ccesarano:
One of the highlights of PAX East Thursday night was the game area at the Westin. I believe members of the PA staff contacted the hotel and got a section just for them that wasn't interfering with other customers trying to get drinks and other such things, providing an area for members of the community to gather and socialize.

Would The Escapist be capable of or interested in organizing such an area at the Marriott attached to the convention center? (Or I'm assuming is attached, otherwise I booked the wrong hotel).

In addition, is there a resource that has attractions in the immediate area so communities can plan events nearby? The Convention Center site doesn't really detail things like restaurants within walking distance.

Your first question I'll be sure to check on.

As far as travel resources, have you glanced at this?
Official Durham Visitor's Center

It's listed in our Travel Tips thread in the Expo Forums. It has some really useful stuff about finding your way in the area.

I live in a different country, so no dice. But I wish you the best of luck.

Do I have to be a certain age to get the tickets? I turn 18 on September 1st, but I don't know if the tickets will still be on sale by then. Also, I'll be a freshman in college, so does the discount apply to me?

Shadow flame master:
Do I have to be a certain age to get the tickets? I turn 18 on September 1st, but I don't know if the tickets will still be on sale by then. Also, I'll be a freshman in college, so does the discount apply to me?

You're old enough already, thanks for asking. Attendance is with supervision for those under 13.

When might we expect a schedule of events, a list of exhibitors, or a map of the expo floor posted?

Silverspud:
When might we expect a schedule of events, a list of exhibitors, or a map of the expo floor posted?

We're still hammering down some of the fine points, but we'll be sure to post the full schedule on the Expo site as soon as we know. Please do check back for updates!

Will there be indications of remaining passes' availability, such as a warning when 10% of the 3-day passes or single-day passes are left?

Will there be wifi available in the Expo area? I'm thinking more for messing about with Streetpass on my 3DS when waiting in queues :D

Also if anyone else has a 3DS and wants a game of Pokèmon on Black or White then I'll take them on!

What is the address of the convention center? Also, what hotels are close by to it?

Shadow flame master:
What is the address of the convention center? Also, what hotels are close by to it?

Durham Convention Center • 301 West Morgan Street • PO Box 691 • Durham, NC 27701 (from their website)

The Marriott is apparently closest, not sure what others.

Does anyone know what time on Friday it will start, and what time it will end on Sunday? Or will that information come later. Sorry if I was stupid and missed it on the site :P

WinstonJEC:
Does anyone know what time on Friday it will start, and what time it will end on Sunday? Or will that information come later. Sorry if I was stupid and missed it on the site :P

Exact scheduling will probably be delayed a little, as things are still being nailed down. We'll let you know before you need to, I assure you :)

Nasrin:

WinstonJEC:

Exact scheduling will probably be delayed a little, as things are still being nailed down. We'll let you know before you need to, I assure you :)

One last question, If we had our tickets mailed to us will they ship out when all the details are set?

WinstonJEC:

Nasrin:

WinstonJEC:

One last question, If we had our tickets mailed to us will they ship out when all the details are set?

They should be mailed to you shortly before the event, and by that time the details will be a lot more firm.

Have volunteer stuff been sent to interested parties already? and if not does anyone know when they will? I entered my info on the "special registration" and the suspense is killing me. and i like to know if or when the suspense should be killing me. I really want to know if i'm going to helping out or not.

EDIT; also where will it be sent to? (e-mail, escapist inbox, phone call)

rayen020:
Have volunteer stuff been sent to interested parties already? and if not does anyone know when they will? I entered my info on the "special registration" and the suspense is killing me. and i like to know if or when the suspense should be killing me. I really want to know if i'm going to helping out or not.

I'd give it another month. They're still sorting out details, so organizing volunteers will be a while I think. (Although don't quote me on this, I'm not one of the staff after all xD)

I know how you feel though, I signed up as a Volunteer too D: The suspense is killing me!

rayen020:

We have received all the volunteer applicant data. We're just waiting until the schedule is more concrete to begin assigning rolls, since it's tough to know what we'll need beforehand.

Thank you very much for your interest in volunteering, we'll get back to you soon :)

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here