Escapist Expo 2012 Information and FAQ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

When will you guys start mailing off tickets to get in, I ordered mine the day they were on sale. I'm all but ready to make that 3 hour drive to the Expo all I need is the ticket.

BoredRolePlayer:
When will you guys start mailing off tickets to get in, I ordered mine the day they were on sale. I'm all but ready to make that 3 hour drive to the Expo all I need is the ticket.

We'll be mailing them out nearer to the date of the event. It's similar to how they mail out festival tickets.

Nasrin:

BoredRolePlayer:

We'll be mailing them out nearer to the date of the event. It's similar to how they mail out festival tickets.

Ok thanks for the information, I can't wait to go got my costume all ready just gotta dye it :D

Would there be any secure places for volunteers to store a backpack or something similar while they are helping out? If I get chosen to be a volunteer I'd probably be more help if I'm not lugging about a backpack full of food, water (and other time wasting items like my DS for when I'm standing in queues) all the time :P

TimeLord:
Would there be any secure places for volunteers to store a backpack or something similar while they are helping out? If I get chosen to be a volunteer I'd probably be more help if I'm not lugging about a backpack full of food, water (and other time wasting items like my DS for when I'm standing in queues) all the time :P

I'm pretty sure volunteers will have a place to put down their stuff while working, hehe.

I don't think we've designated anywhere specific yet, but we'll of course be considering your functional needs as we assign volunteer roles :)

What are the benefits of VIP registration, as opposed to just getting a normal pass?

Ctmnt08:
What are the benefits of VIP registration, as opposed to just getting a normal pass?

Upgrade to VIP for early access to the big Saturday night party and performances, reserved movie night seating, an exclusive badge pickup line, and special access and perks around the show!

I have a quick question about the Magic tourney. What format will the actual tournament be? Draft, Sealed, Standard, etc. I haven't been able to find any definitive answer of that. As well, what will the other days of Magic-play be? Just anything you want or will there be coordinated events?

Kapol:
I have a quick question about the Magic tourney. What format will the actual tournament be? Draft, Sealed, Standard, etc. I haven't been able to find any definitive answer of that. As well, what will the other days of Magic-play be? Just anything you want or will there be coordinated events?

I'm curious about this as well, I know I can't join in in any standard tourny (all my cards are too old), but getting my ass handed to me in any other format might still be an option...

Eleuthera:

Kapol:

I'm curious about this as well, I know I can't join in in any standard tourny (all my cards are too old), but getting my ass handed to me in any other format might still be an option...

Yeah same here. I'm hoping for Vintage for the non-tournament games at least. Then I can actually play my only deck xD
I doubt I'll play in the tournament itself but if the non-tournament games are going to be restricted to Standard or even Extended. I will have to build another deck!

Eleuthera:

TimeLord:

Yeah same here. I'm hoping for Vintage for the non-tournament games at least. Then I can actually play my only deck xD
I doubt I'll play in the tournament itself but if the non-tournament games are going to be restricted to Standard or even Extended. I will have to build another deck!

Personally, I'm hoping they do one of the limited formats. I <3 draft and sealed so much. Draft a little more then sealed though just because it's more... interactive I suppose?

I don't like constructed formats that much because, frankly, a lot of it comes down to 'whomever has the most money is the winner' more often then not. There are good decks that can be built cheap of course. But expensive decks almost always have the advantage.

Typically at a large MTG event the scheduled tournaments will cover most of the available formats, constructed, draft, and sealed. Sometimes this even includes strange things such as grand melees or wacky drafts. I expect if you're a magic player there will be something up your alley.

That said, tournament vintage play is rare in the US, though legacy has become more popular over the last couple years.

I'm sure there will be tables available for casual play, and if it's not a sanctioned tournament, nobody's going to come over and tell you what cards you should or shouldn't be playing (though it's considered polite to give your opponents a heads up you're going to be playing the power 9).

As an aside, I once played Legacy Battle of Wits, probably the most expensive magic deck ever (it's 250 of the best blue, white, and black cards ever printed), and definitely lost every single one of my matches despite my multi-thousand dollar value advantage ;).

My cards aren't going to overpower anyone, I'm sure. I collected/played for 1 (one) set back in the before times, so all I have is 'Tempest' cards.

We did do a draft game with a bunch of friends a few months back, and that was fun so maybe something like that.

I'll bring a few decks anyway, I'm sure to find some opportunity sometime.

Kapol:

There will be both coordinated events and areas where casual play is ongoing :)

I anticipate there is going to be A LOT of MtG played at Expo. Just a hunch...

Filled out a volunteer application, but my laptop was on the fritz (so to speak) when I tried to submit it. Should I have gotten a message saying it was received, or should I just assume it was sent and wait to be contacted (if any more volunteers are even needed.)

Dire Sloth:
Filled out a volunteer application, but my laptop was on the fritz (so to speak) when I tried to submit it. Should I have gotten a message saying it was received, or should I just assume it was sent and wait to be contacted (if any more volunteers are even needed.)

I got an email reply about my volunteering last week, so you should be contacted. And there was a post on FB yesterday asking for still more volunteers, so I'm guessing yours might not have gone true.

Eleuthera:

Dire Sloth:

I got an email reply about my volunteering last week, so you should be contacted. And there was a post on FB yesterday asking for still more volunteers, so I'm guessing yours might not have gone true.

I went back through, filled everything out, and clicked "save". Good to go? Didn't get an e-mail, but I'll keep waiting.
Thank you for your help.

Dire Sloth:

Eleuthera:

Dire Sloth:

I went back through, filled everything out, and clicked "save". Good to go? Didn't get an e-mail, but I'll keep waiting.
Thank you for your help.

That's all I did, so yeah you should be good to go. If there's anything else needed I'm sure some staffmember will add the info here.

A question or two about the event registration;

For the cosplay competition, what constitutes a "costuming award".

And for the Magic registration, I take it that that doesn't involve the general non-tournament games and is just for the charity event?

Also;

"Sign ups for the contest can be completed prior to the event online by completing the following form or at the Expo by Friday, September 14, 2012."

Where is this form? There isn't a link for it as far as I can see.

Eleuthera:

Dire Sloth:

Oops! I should really check my emails more often!

With regards to the above quote. Do we just reply to the Volunteer email with the various info. Or enter it in the official site?

Regarding the cosplay contest -- I understand the posted rules to mean that a person can't enter the same costume as part of a group and separately, but is it possible for a person to enter two entirely different costumes in the event?

I see this question was asked a while back, but I am hoping there is more concrete detailing of the expo by now. What time will the event be starting on Friday and ending on Sunday?

gamefreakbsp:
I see this question was asked a while back, but I am hoping there is more concrete detailing of the expo by now. What time will the event be starting on Friday and ending on Sunday?

We are still hammering out the final details of our programming schedule, but we expect main doors to open 12:00pm on Friday and doors to close 4:30pm on Sunday.

TimeLord:

Eleuthera:

Dire Sloth:

With regards to the above quote. Do we just reply to the Volunteer email with the various info. Or enter it in the official site?

Everyone who is interested in volunteering at the Expo should apply via the volunteer form on our official site here. Any other method, such as email replies, smoke signals and carrier pigeons, do not count ;)

We are still looking for more volunteers so it is not too late to apply!

TimeLord:
A question or two about the event registration;

For the cosplay competition, what constitutes a "costuming award".

And for the Magic registration, I take it that that doesn't involve the general non-tournament games and is just for the charity event?

Also;

"Sign ups for the contest can be completed prior to the event online by completing the following form or at the Expo by Friday, September 14, 2012."

Where is this form? There isn't a link for it as far as I can see.

Regarding the Magic registration, you are correct. Pre-Registration is only available for the Charity event on Saturday. There will absolutely be Magic to be had all weekend long, but all other events will be on-site registration only.

Kapol:

Eleuthera:

TimeLord:

Personally, I'm hoping they do one of the limited formats. I <3 draft and sealed so much. Draft a little more then sealed though just because it's more... interactive I suppose?

I don't like constructed formats that much because, frankly, a lot of it comes down to 'whomever has the most money is the winner' more often then not. There are good decks that can be built cheap of course. But expensive decks almost always have the advantage.

To be sure, the Charity Tournament on Saturday is going to be Standard Constructed, so I'm afraid it might not suit some of you guys. We are, however, hoping to run Sealed tournaments on Friday and Saturday, as well as a 2HG Sealed (Which is super fun, if you've never tried it!) on Sunday, if my tentative schedule is to be believed.

We're also hoping to be firing off 8-person events in virtually any format, including Draft, Legacy, and EDH(Though I believe EDH are 4-player events), all weekend long, launching whenever we get the minimum number of players!

s0osleepie:

TimeLord:

Eleuthera:

Everyone who is interested in volunteering at the Expo should apply via the volunteer form on our official site here. Any other method, such as email replies, smoke signals and carrier pigeons, do not count ;)

I had already applied via the form :)
The email I was referring to was this;

Hello!

Thank you for registering to volunteer at the Escapist Expo (September 14th-16th), we hope you are as excited as we are!

It would be helpful if you could send us your availability during the event. Specifically, would you be willing to volunteer late at night/early in the morning?

Additionally, please send us your cellphone number, so that we will be able to contact you and vice versa during the event.

More information will be going out shortly!

Thanks again!

Best,
Audrey Copeland

I already put in my volunteer form about when I can volunteer so do I need to reply to this email? Also should I reply with my mobile number?

TimeLord:

Well now I'm worried, because I've checked my email account and I haven't gotten an email about this. s:

I'm worried that I haven't received any email from the escapist at all since almost a month ago now

Encaen:

To be sure, the Charity Tournament on Saturday is going to be Standard Constructed, so I'm afraid it might not suit some of you guys. We are, however, hoping to run Sealed tournaments on Friday and Saturday, as well as a 2HG Sealed (Which is super fun, if you've never tried it!) on Sunday, if my tentative schedule is to be believed.

We're also hoping to be firing off 8-person events in virtually any format, including Draft, Legacy, and EDH(Though I believe EDH are 4-player events), all weekend long, launching whenever we get the minimum number of players!

I read about that. It's too bad the main one will be Standard. But it's nice to know that you're going to be doing a sealed one every day. Any idea how much any of these will cost? Or, in other words, how much it's expected to cost to enter the sealed tournaments, or how much per person to do an 8-player draft?

EDIT: Secondary question: What sets will be used for the sealed/draft? I'm hoping one or more of the Innistrad sets since M12 and Scars are cycling out two weeks after the Escapist Expo, but I'm guessing it'll be M13 (which I happen to have the most of already, so most will go on the pile of other cards).

s0osleepie:

I hate to keep badgering about this... I went to my account page and realized I hadn't used my real name so I fixed that, went through the form again, and clicked save. Is that all I need to do?
Sorry for any trouble. I just really want to help out, y'know?

TimeLord:

I had already applied via the form :)
The email I was referring to was this;

email snip

I already put in my volunteer form about when I can volunteer so do I need to reply to this email? Also should I reply with my mobile number?

I replied to the email with my information. That seemed to work, at least I got a reply saying thanks.

EDIT: completely borked the quotes there...

sky14kemea:

TimeLord:

Well now I'm worried, because I've checked my email account and I haven't gotten an email about this. s:

Try going a bit further back. I got that email on the 24th of July

sky14kemea:

TimeLord:

Got mine on the 24th as well.

TimeLord:

sky14kemea:

TimeLord:

I always delete mail once I've read it, so my inbox is pretty up to date.... I definitely didn't get it unless it went into my junkbox, but I don't see why it would...

(Also checked there just in case, but it doesn't go far back enough Dx)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.