Escapist Expo 2012 Information and FAQ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

sky14kemea:

TimeLord:

sky14kemea:

Well now I'm worried, because I've checked my email account and I haven't gotten an email about this. s:

Try going a bit further back. I got that email on the 24th of July

I always delete mail once I've read it, so my inbox is pretty up to date.... I definitely didn't get it unless it went into my junkbox, but I don't see why it would...

(Also checked there just in case, but it doesn't go far back enough Dx)

It probably did go into your junk box though... just saying... you might want to get those spam settings looked at ^_^ We'll have our volunteer coordinator check your e-mail address against what we have listed though for good measure.

TimeLord:

s0osleepie:

TimeLord:

I had already applied via the form :)
The email I was referring to was this;

Hello!

Thank you for registering to volunteer at the Escapist Expo (September 14th-16th), we hope you are as excited as we are!

It would be helpful if you could send us your availability during the event. Specifically, would you be willing to volunteer late at night/early in the morning?

Additionally, please send us your cellphone number, so that we will be able to contact you and vice versa during the event.

More information will be going out shortly!

Thanks again!

Best,
Audrey Copeland

I already put in my volunteer form about when I can volunteer so do I need to reply to this email? Also should I reply with my mobile number?

Thank you all for the feedback!

I will be sending a follow-up e-mail out to all currently registered Expo volunteers shortly. If you've already received the previous e-mail, please feel free to disregard it.

If you don't receive either e-mail, and you have registered to volunteer at the Expo, please make sure to check your spam and junk folders. If after checking there you still can't find either letter, please send me a PM to confirm that we have the correct address on record.

- Audrey

Kapol:
I read about that. It's too bad the main one will be Standard. But it's nice to know that you're going to be doing a sealed one every day. Any idea how much any of these will cost? Or, in other words, how much it's expected to cost to enter the sealed tournaments, or how much per person to do an 8-player draft?

EDIT: Secondary question: What sets will be used for the sealed/draft? I'm hoping one or more of the Innistrad sets since M12 and Scars are cycling out two weeks after the Escapist Expo, but I'm guessing it'll be M13 (which I happen to have the most of already, so most will go on the pile of other cards).

These may be subject to change, but tentatively, I believe Sealed will be $25, 2HG Sealed will be $20/player ($40/team), and Draft will be $15.

As to the sets being drafted, we're hoping to do everything from Innistrad to M13, so options will be available! For Sealed, I've currently got us slated to run M13 on Friday, Innistrad Block on Saturday, and M13 again for 2HG on Sunday. These are subject to change, however, so be sure to keep an eye out for a finalized Magic schedule!

Encaen:

These may be subject to change, but tentatively, I believe Sealed will be $25, 2HG Sealed will be $20/player ($40/team), and Draft will be $15.

As to the sets being drafted, we're hoping to do everything from Innistrad to M13, so options will be available! For Sealed, I've currently got us slated to run M13 on Friday, Innistrad Block on Saturday, and M13 again for 2HG on Sunday. These are subject to change, however, so be sure to keep an eye out for a finalized Magic schedule!

...Now I realize I have to save even more money for the convention, because that honestly sounds awesome. Those prices are good (about on par with what I pay at my local game shop for the same things anyways) and the fact it's not just going to be all M13 is even better. It's just too bad that Return to Revnica isn't going to happen in time for the expo. Still, thanks for all the answers. It gives me a better idea of what to plan for overall.

I do have one more question (sorry if I'm asking too much already ^^; ), will there be prizes for the individual events of 8 people or for the tournaments? I'm expecting not, but I'd like to be sure. Thanks again.

Kapol:

Encaen:

...Now I realize I have to save even more money for the convention, because that honestly sounds awesome. Those prices are good (about on par with what I pay at my local game shop for the same things anyways) and the fact it's not just going to be all M13 is even better. It's just too bad that Return to Revnica isn't going to happen in time for the expo. Still, thanks for all the answers. It gives me a better idea of what to plan for overall.

I do have one more question (sorry if I'm asking too much already ^^; ), will there be prizes for the individual events of 8 people or for the tournaments? I'm expecting not, but I'd like to be sure. Thanks again.

There will definitely be prizes, primarily in Booster form. If you're drafting M13, for example, prizes will be paid out in M13 boosters. :) I believe the Sealed events will be paid out based on your record, so if you're 4-0 at the end of the event, you'll get more packs than if you're 3-0-1, for example. Finally, Constructed 8-man events are currently planned to be win-a-box (at $15 entry), though we're still finalizing things, and as before this may change. :) I hope that helps!

s0osleepie:

Everyone who is interested in volunteering at the Expo should apply via the volunteer form on our official site here. Any other method, such as email replies, smoke signals and carrier pigeons, do not count ;)

We are still looking for more volunteers so it is not too late to apply!

I probably should have tried the form on the official site, I haven't seen my pigeon in weeks... Now I'm getting worried :(

so here we are at the 30 day mark till the event, anybody else getting excited?

Treaos Serrare:
so here we are at the 30 day mark till the event, anybody else getting excited?

Very!

First convention, for my favorite site!

Things are getting exciting! :D

I will start getting excited after the next weekend, I currently don't have the energy to be excited for two things at once. But come tuesday, full-on excitism.

I can't wait to get my passes in the mail, i hope they come soon

Does anyone know if we get to register nicknames or anything? I know some cons do that... would be awesome if we could get our forum name on our badge!

Treaos Serrare:

I'm curious when they're going to come. But oh well. We'll just have to wait and see/bother them about it till we get an answer. :p

Kapol:

Treaos Serrare:

I'm curious when they're going to come. But oh well. We'll just have to wait and see/bother them about it till we get an answer. :p

indeed, we are 26 days,17 hours, 36 minutes and counting till expo day

I apologize for the double post here, but I am getting very concerned that I haven't received any kind of email from the escapist concerning the Passes I ordered a month or so ago, also I opted for the mail out option to get them in the mail. with the expo coming up in a few weeks I'm worried that it either wont be done in time for shipping so i'll have to pick it up at the expo itself or it'll be done and shipped before but wont arrive till like day of

Treaos Serrare:
I apologize for the double post here, but I am getting very concerned that I haven't received any kind of email from the escapist concerning the Passes I ordered a month or so ago, also I opted for the mail out option to get them in the mail. with the expo coming up in a few weeks I'm worried that it either wont be done in time for shipping so i'll have to pick it up at the expo itself or it'll be done and shipped before but wont arrive till like day of

I got an email this morning saying that the 3 day passes are being sent out today, rejoice!

Treaos Serrare:

Never fear! Your passes are in the mail! :D

Alright! i got the email this morning too, but now i have a different issue, I purchased Two 3 day passes but i only have one registration code linked to my profile, is the other code going to pop up later or after i lock in this code? or do i just use the same code twice?

Nasrin:

ccesarano:
One of the highlights of PAX East Thursday night was the game area at the Westin. I believe members of the PA staff contacted the hotel and got a section just for them that wasn't interfering with other customers trying to get drinks and other such things, providing an area for members of the community to gather and socialize.

Would The Escapist be capable of or interested in organizing such an area at the Marriott attached to the convention center? (Or I'm assuming is attached, otherwise I booked the wrong hotel).

In addition, is there a resource that has attractions in the immediate area so communities can plan events nearby? The Convention Center site doesn't really detail things like restaurants within walking distance.

Your first question I'll be sure to check on.

As far as travel resources, have you glanced at this?
Official Durham Visitor's Center

It's listed in our Travel Tips thread in the Expo Forums. It has some really useful stuff about finding your way in the area.

Just wanted to check and see what the situation was with an off-to-the-side area at the Marriott.

As for the link, thank you! It has given me plenty of places to look at for meeting up with friends and such. :)

ccesarano:

Just wanted to check and see what the situation was with an off-to-the-side area at the Marriott.

As for the link, thank you! It has given me plenty of places to look at for meeting up with friends and such. :)

While the Marriott unfortunately doesn't seem to be issuing a discount, we've got other discounted hotels in the area listed here:
http://www.escapistexpo.com/travel

Where it says "block available" :)

Nasrin:

ccesarano:

While the Marriott unfortunately doesn't seem to be issuing a discount, we've got other discounted hotels in the area listed here:

Ah, sorry I should have specified. I've already got a room for the weekend at the Marriott. :)

What I was curious on was if The Escapist Team would be able to have talks with the Hotel and have a small area set aside for anyone staying there that they could gather and play board games, card games and other such low-key shenanigans. PAX East had set something similar up with the hotel attached to the Boston convention center, setting up a slew of tables by the Mezzanine. It's useful for after the convention's board game room closed, as well as those staying Thursday night before the convention or even Sunday night after all the events have ended.

If this cannot be set up I understand. PAX East has quite a bit of clout with the convention center and its hotel at this point. I just wanted to see if it were possible. :)

speaking of the Marriott does anyone here know if they have wired connections there? I cant get a straight answer from the staff there over the phone, but the Marriott website and my reservation says that they do.

Actually, sorry to ask another question, but when can we expect a schedule of events such as panels to be posted? I'm working on organizing a meet-up or two with some forum friends, and it might be easier if we waited until an official schedule was posted.

ccesarano:

Nasrin:

ccesarano:

Ah, sorry I should have specified. I've already got a room for the weekend at the Marriott. :)

What I was curious on was if The Escapist Team would be able to have talks with the Hotel and have a small area set aside for anyone staying there that they could gather and play board games, card games and other such low-key shenanigans. PAX East had set something similar up with the hotel attached to the Boston convention center, setting up a slew of tables by the Mezzanine. It's useful for after the convention's board game room closed, as well as those staying Thursday night before the convention or even Sunday night after all the events have ended.

If this cannot be set up I understand. PAX East has quite a bit of clout with the convention center and its hotel at this point. I just wanted to see if it were possible. :)

There will definitely be late night events and hangouts going on, but we're not sure exactly what or where they'll be right now. For example, Friday Night Magic will be an all night event, but that'll only be happening on Friday. We'll also probably have a few play rooms in the American Tobacco Campus, but I don't think we've got anything in the Marriott set for all night. Hopefully we'll be able to do more of that in future years.

What time to the doors open daily? I'm driving in from Wilmington, and need to know when to wake up.

s0osleepie:

Never fear! Your passes are in the mail! :D

Got mine today, hurray :D!

See everyone in a few weeks :)

How late will Sunday likely go? Is it going to be into the night, or ending earlier? I'm asking due to trying to decide what the best thing to do in terms of where me and my party will stay.

Sorry to ask this again but I didn't get an answer before.

For the cosplay competition what constitutes a "Costuming Award" for the Cosplay categories?

Kapol:
How late will Sunday likely go? Is it going to be into the night, or ending earlier? I'm asking due to trying to decide what the best thing to do in terms of where me and my party will stay.

The Expo will officially end at 4:00PM on Sunday :)

TimeLord:

For the cosplay competition what constitutes a "Costuming Award" for the Cosplay categories?

Costuming Award? I think that should probably say "construction." Basically, cosplayers will be judged two ways: overall appreciation and construction skill. Overall appreciation is "how good is your outfit?" whereas construction references actual sewing skill.

Make sense?

Susan Arendt:

TimeLord:

Costuming Award? I think that should probably say "construction." Basically, cosplayers will be judged two ways: overall appreciation and construction skill. Overall appreciation is "how good is your outfit?" whereas construction references actual sewing skill.

Make sense?

No I get the competition process but in on the info page and the sign up page there are categories that you have to choose.

Contestants will compete in the following Categories:

Junior (Under 15 years old) Beginner (No prior costumingawards won) Advanced (1-3 Costuming Awards won) Master (3+ Costuming Awards won)

I'm just confused about what category to sign up for.

TimeLord:

Susan Arendt:

TimeLord:

Make sense?

No I get the competition process but in on the info page and the sign up page there are categories that you have to choose.

Contestants will compete in the following Categories:

Junior (Under 15 years old) Beginner (No prior costumingawards won) Advanced (1-3 Costuming Awards won) Master (3+ Costuming Awards won)

I'm just confused about what category to sign up for.

Oh, I see. Have you won an award before? Have you won several? Basically, we're gauging your relative "professional" cosplay level.

s0osleepie:

Kapol:

Some of us are sticking around Sunday night and leaving Monday morning, though, so if anyone wanted to organize a Sunday night hang out I'd be all for it.

In fact, I may just make a thread for Thursday and Friday nights.

ccesarano:

s0osleepie:

Kapol:

Some of us are sticking around Sunday night and leaving Monday morning, though, so if anyone wanted to organize a Sunday night hang out I'd be all for it.

In fact, I may just make a thread for Thursday and Friday nights.

That is a great idea! Maybe some the staff will come crash your event after all the clean-up is complete if we aren't too exhausted ;)

Susan Arendt:
-snip-

Ah thanks! My relative "professional" cosplay level is 0 :P

s0osleepie:

Kapol:

Aww... that makes it harder to convince my group to stay on Sunday, even if there is a chance of getting more hang-out time. But I suppose we could hang around for a little while afterwards and then head off. I know one of my friends wants to get some driving time out of the way if we can.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here