Escapist Expo Travel Tips

Come here to exchange travel tips, tricks and info for The Escapist Expo 2012!

Hey Escapists!

We realize that many of you will be attempting to come to The Escapist Expo from great distances, some even from the other side of the world. In the interest of helping you guys stay safe and comfortable, we've endeavored to collect a few pieces of advice on how to plan your trip. We hope that you will use this as an opportunity to add to our collection.

Good luck, and we hope to see you soon!

- Nasrin

Helpful stuff to remember:

• Buy your tickets well in advance to get the best prices. This includes hotels, airfare and transportation.
  • Dress like you'll be standing or walking all day. Remember, although this is in large part and indoor activity, it can still take its toll on your body. Wear comfy shoes and clothes. If you're in it for the long haul, bring a lightweight backpack.
  • Bring something to read, a game to play, a sketchbook or some sort of activity. This will come in handy if you happen to end up in lines or delays over the course of your journey.
  • Other helpful stuff:

• Official Durham Visitor's Center
  • Downtown Durham Overview & Visitor Map
  • Downtown Durham Guide & Walking Tour
  • Durham Hotels in Trip Advisor
  • Official Durham Visitor's Center Hotels Listing
  • Scheduled Intercity Bus Listings
  • U.S. Department of State Tips for Traveling Abroad
  • More tips for traveling abroad
  • Convention Travel Tips
  • Megabus has a stop in Durham for those living on the East Coast. It not the greatest way to travel, but it is very cheap. The only other problem is they won't start booking for September for another couple months.

What are close hotels? Further more, what hotels should we avoid? I just order my tickets.

Just hoping this is a good (ok, decent will do) hotel, but Sky, TimeLord and myself will be staying at the Red Roof Inn - Duke University Medical Center.

Eleuthera:
    Just hoping this is a good (ok, decent will do) hotel, but Sky, TimeLord and myself will be staying at the Red Roof Inn - Duke University Medical Center.

I just looked it up, you're right off the freeway and a stone's throw from both GameStop and an IHOP. I don't know if you're familiar with either of those things, but they are awesome.

bdcjacko:
    What are close hotels? Further more, what hotels should we avoid? I just order my tickets.

Probably the closest hotel is the Marriott, downtown. Honestly, I'm not too sure about what to avoid. There likely aren't hotels in the sketchy areas of town, hehe.

Nasrin:

I just looked it up, you're right off the freeway and a stone's throw from both GameStop and an IHOP. I don't know if you're familiar with either of those things, but they are awesome.

Thanks, Gamestop seems slightly redundant at a games convention, but easy to get breakfast is definitely a plus :)

Also, don't forget to bring a towel.

Silverspud:
    Also, don't forget to bring a towel.

Agreed, but just to clarify...

I live in Durham, so I might be able to answer some questions.

As far as hotels, I've stayed at the Red Roof Inn. It's fine; nothing fancy, but very cheap. $50 - $60 per night, I believe. There's one pretty close to downtown.

As for sketchy areas... I wouldn't walk around east Durham at night, or ever really, if I could help it.

Anybody comin' in from Toronto?

majora13:
    I live in Durham, so I might be able to answer some questions.

As far as hotels, I've stayed at the Red Roof Inn. It's fine; nothing fancy, but very cheap. $50 - $60 per night, I believe. There's one pretty close to downtown.

As for sketchy areas... I wouldn't walk around east Durham at night, or ever really, if I could help it.

say majora 13, how likely would it be that I could couch surf at your place?

infact, in wouldn't hurt to do some couch surfing.

speaking of which, I'll be in Georgia when this is going on, so you should be able to stop by me if you need

Awesome! I must have to check this out to get more info. Thanks! ;)

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.