Post-Expo roadtrip ideas

This is only slightly related to the Expo, but I think (hope) I'd get slightly better/more replies here.

I'm currently planning on going on a bit of a post-Expo roadtrip with a friend. After the Expo ends we'll be staying in the States for about a week longer and basically I'm looking for interesting places to go or visit. We will definitely be going to Nashville to visit a friend, so mostly I'm looking for things around Durham or Nashville or along the route between the two.

Thanks in advance for any ideas :)

Check out Gatlinburg, TN. Plenty of stuff to do there. http://www.gatlinburg.com/things-to-do/

It'll also be a fantastic time of year to ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway and see the fall colors in the mountains. http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/ You don't even have to stop, so it's an easy one.

While a bit out of the way, Paramount's Carowinds is in Charlotte, NC. Decent amusement park. http://www.carowinds.com/

Thanks, I had given up hope ever getting a reply to this :)

Pretty much the only city between Durham and Nashville on I-40 is Asheville. The Biltmore Estate in Asheville is a great place to visit.

As mentioned above I do recommend the the Blue Ridge Parkway: Take US321 North to Blowing Rock and the parkway south. The first recommended stop is Grandfather Mountain State Park, sorta pricey, but it has a zoo and other cool attractions. Another highly recommended stop is Mount Mitchell State Park(free). It is the highest point in the US east of the Mississippi River, and just take the parkway down to Asheville.

If I may second/third the suggestion, the Blue Ridge Parkway affords views that are simply breathtaking.

Now, the problem you'll run into with the Parkway is the fact that it runs North/South as opposed to the East/West axis of I-40. However, what you can do is hop on the Parkway in Asheville, head South on the Parkway to its Southern end, where it intersects with the Great Smoky Mountains parkway, which will lead you straight to Gatlinburg.

I'm not a huge fan of the G'Burg, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge area, but there's plenty of stuff to do there, and you can rejoin I-40 by following signs or asking any local.

Lastly, a food recommendation as you enter the final leg of your trip: In Knoxville, TN, you should stop at the Downtown Grill & Brewery. It's a quick exit off of I-40. Order a smothered burger and any of the craft beers (assuming you're of age. Don't drive afterwards!)

Most of all, have a great time!

Hmmm, I would say hit the beach, but you are going to wrong way if you want to hit Tennessee. But you should see the smokey mountains which are between north Carolina and tennessee.

bdcjacko:
Hmmm, I would say hit the beach, but you are going to wrong way if you want to hit Tennessee. But you should see the smokey mountains which are between north Carolina and tennessee.

I'm sure your beaches are lovely, but I live less then 5 miles from the beach here. So it's not really a priority. We might still check it out if we return ahead of schedule, thanks.

Last minute bump :)

Anyone else have any tips?

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.