Escapist Expo Volunteer Thread

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This thread will be used to coordinate volunteer efforts during the Escapist Expo.

I thought volunteering for the Olympics would be exciting.

This is much more my thing. :P

Expo Volunteers represent!

Are you still needing volunteers for the Thursday beforehand?

My wife and I are happy to help! As excited as we are about all of the festivities, we're also looking forward to giving our time to help make this whole endeavor successful (so that you can continue to have many, many more!)

We're definitely looking forward to finding out where/when you'll need us!

Shout out to fellow volunteers! :D

I have a question. Will we be working all 3 days? I don't mind, but my friends were hoping to hang out with me a lot more. =P

(You're my true love though, Expo. I wouldn't ever leave you)

sky14kemea:

I have a question. Will we be working all 3 days? I don't mind, but my friends were hoping to hang out with me a lot more. =P

My main reason for volunteering (besides helping out of course) is to actually make friends. I'm way to shy to approach people in the wild, this way it's more like a petting zoo... with me being the pet I guess... ;)

Eleuthera:

sky14kemea:

My main reason for volunteering (besides helping out of course) is to actually make friends. I'm way to shy to approach people in the wild, this way it's more like a petting zoo... with me being the pet I guess... ;)

That too, I have a habit of making way too many friends. =P but it'd be nice to hang out more with the people I already know as well.

Nasrin:
Snip

I'm not going to be able to attend the Escapist Expo i'm afraid ... mainly because-

1) Don't have the money to travel to Durham by plane or even by car (because of distance and gas).
2) Same as above, but don't have the money to stay at a hotel to attend more days at Escapist Expo.
2) No one is willing to go with me even if I had the money.. my parents don't want me alone with strangers ether.

Quite pathetic I know, but if there's anyway to help, volunteer, or do anything for you guys during or before Escapist Expo opens up then please notify me. Am sorry again for not being able to go. At least there are others to help and they'll be there in person which I am grateful for no doubt.

Greetings, fellow volunteers! I look forward to working with all of you to make the Expo the best it can possibly be.

I'll also second the Thursday setup question. I mean, I'll be there, may as well make myself useful if possible.

Im not volunteering myself... But I wanted to give a big THANKYOU to everyone who is!! I really appreciate you guys taking time to do this!

Also a big thanks to the Escapist Employees for pulling this all together!

Twyce:
Im not volunteering myself... But I wanted to give a big THANKYOU to everyone who is!! I really appreciate you guys taking time to do this!

Also a big thanks to the Escapist Employees for pulling this all together!

Appreciate us enough for free drinks? :D

:D :D

sky14kemea:

Appreciate us enough for free drinks? :D

:D :D

If we find a place cheap enough, hell yes! Shots all around!

So it's definitely true we get free entry right? 'cause I can give my pass to a friend who hasn't got one yet. >.>

TimeLord:

echoing this, i live in raleigh and requested the day off, but i probably need to go to work if i'm not doing anything.

rayen020:

TimeLord:

echoing this, i live in raleigh and requested the day off, but i probably need to go to work if i'm not doing anything.

I believe volunteer orientation begins on Friday morning.

sky14kemea:
So it's definitely true we get free entry right? 'cause I can give my pass to a friend who hasn't got one yet. >.>

You will be reimbursed for your ticket afterwards, but you're not allowed to simply "give" it to another person. It's free for you because you're volunteering. Giving them a free pass as well would be unfair.

Nasrin:

sky14kemea:

You will be reimbursed for your ticket afterwards, but you're not allowed to simply "give" it to another person. It's free for you because you're volunteering. Giving them a free pass as well would be unfair.

Ahhhh okay. You have a point there.

Nasrin:

Just to make sure. There was an available on Thursday option on the sign-in page, will there definitely be no volunteers needed for the Thursday?
Not complaining, just checking if I can look for some other touristy things to do then :)

Eleuthera:

Nasrin:

Just to make sure. There was an available on Thursday option on the sign-in page, will there definitely be no volunteers needed for the Thursday?
Not complaining, just checking if I can look for some other touristy things to do then :)

I don't think we'll be needing anyone on Thursday. Friday, bright and early, just like the e-mail said :)

Since you'll be lending us some of your time, we'll also be giving the volunteers all the bar codes for the scavenger hunt, which should throw a bit of free food your way during the event. Cheers!

Touristy stuff it is then. Any tips :)

Eleuthera:
Touristy stuff it is then. Any tips :)

Hmmm... well all I can suggest is the stuff I like to do. There are a lot of nice little shops and bars in the downtown area. One place has great chicken and waffles, Dame's.

If you walk a few blocks down towards Duke's campus there are lovely forests and trails, an art museum, used book and record stores, hobby shops that sort of thing.

We've also got a baseball stadium attached to our office building, so that's pretty neat.

Actually, turns out we DO need help Thursday evening, for anyone who's willing and able to help us out!

I don't know how many of you have con volunteering experience, but since inevitably somebody will be new, I thought I would pass on the #1 piece of advice I was given when I started doing this.

Though we don't have details, I will make the leap that Escapist Expo will be like pretty much every con ever and will be providing us with a single awesome volunteer shirt which is our badge of office. You will be wearing this one shirt for a non-insignificant amount of time for as many as three straight days, and if you think that the minimum one shower you're going to take each day is sufficient to keep that shirt fresh, you're probably wrong, especially since some of us are going to be outside in what's looking to be low-mid 80 degree (27 C) weather with 70%+ humidity.

So, if you don't already have some, my suggestion to you all is to go out in the next week and pick up some kind of quick-drying Under Armor type undershirt to wear while you're volunteering. These are great not only at keeping you drier while you're wearing them, but because you can give it a quick dunk in a hotel sink at the end of the day, throw it over a towel rack or shower curtain rod, and have it completely dry and ready to go the next morning for another day of keeping your volunteer shirt something which brings attendees over, rather than something driving them away.

Thanks for your attention. See you in less than a week!

Susan Arendt:
Actually, turns out we DO need help Thursday evening, for anyone who's willing and able to help us out!

We'll be flying in Wednesday evening, so most (if not all) of Thursday is still up for grabs.

What for, where and when would we be needed.

Eleuthera:

Susan Arendt:

We'll be flying in Wednesday evening, so most (if not all) of Thursday is still up for grabs.

'We'?

I don't mind, I was gonna ask too, but you'd better see if Timey wants to do Thursday as well. xD

sky14kemea:

Eleuthera:

Susan Arendt:

'We'?

I don't mind, I was gonna ask too, but you'd better see if Timey wants to do Thursday as well. xD

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply we all would be available.
I meant we would be flying in Wednesday, and therefore I would be available Thursday. The 'we' in the second sentence was a general 'we who are volunteering' 'we'.

I should've been more clear on that.

Eleuthera:

sky14kemea:

Eleuthera:

'We'?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply we all would be available.
I meant we would be flying in Wednesday, and therefore I would be available Thursday. The 'we' in the second sentence was a general 'we who are volunteering' 'we'.

I should've been more clear on that.

It's okay, dude. We're team awesome after all!

My wife and I (Brian and Jess C) are ready when you all are! We can work in pretty much any capacity you need us -- as long as we can still have a few moments to sneak to the Cosplay judging!

Susan Arendt:

Count me in. Our flight arrives in the afternoon sometime.

Susan Arendt:

Me and a few others get in on Wednesday evening so we'll definitely be there on Thursday!

I responded to the e-mail sent to our accounts asking this but I may as well ask here too; How close is the meet up on Thursday afternoon to the Convention Centre? i.e will we need to buy a map or is it just up the road? :P

TimeLord:

Susan Arendt:

Me and a few others get in on Wednesday evening so we'll definitely be there on Thursday!

I responded to the e-mail sent to our accounts asking this but I may as well ask here too; How close is the meet up on Thursday afternoon to the Convention Centre? i.e will we need to buy a map or is it just up the road? :P

Google maps tells me it's just up the road a bit from the Expo. And I should have GPS in the car (I paid for it at least...) so we should be able to find it.

Ok, here's the deal - we'll need volunteers here at the office starting at about 4pm on Thursday. We'll be putting the programs into the bags (about 3000 of 'em!). After that, we'll be unboxing PCs, shlepping them over to the Convention Center, and loading them up for the League of Legends tournament. So a lot of miserable grunt work, but hey, you'll get pizza! And hang out with us in our underground lair!

Did I mention the pizza?

Our address (for those of you with cars) is 406 Blackwell st. We're in the basement of the Crowe building. Look for elevators by a coffee shop called Saladelia and go down. Presto!

Tisiphone1:
I don't know how many of you have con volunteering experience, but since inevitably somebody will be new, I thought I would pass on the #1 piece of advice I was given when I started doing this.

Though we don't have details, I will make the leap that Escapist Expo will be like pretty much every con ever and will be providing us with a single awesome volunteer shirt which is our badge of office. You will be wearing this one shirt for a non-insignificant amount of time for as many as three straight days, and if you think that the minimum one shower you're going to take each day is sufficient to keep that shirt fresh, you're probably wrong, especially since some of us are going to be outside in what's looking to be low-mid 80 degree (27 C) weather with 70%+ humidity.

So, if you don't already have some, my suggestion to you all is to go out in the next week and pick up some kind of quick-drying Under Armor type undershirt to wear while you're volunteering. These are great not only at keeping you drier while you're wearing them, but because you can give it a quick dunk in a hotel sink at the end of the day, throw it over a towel rack or shower curtain rod, and have it completely dry and ready to go the next morning for another day of keeping your volunteer shirt something which brings attendees over, rather than something driving them away.

Thanks for your attention. See you in less than a week!

You are correct! You will all get one shirt to wear whenever you are volunteering, which will be for at least three hours every day you're attending the show. So trading it out for other shirts would probably be a wise way to go.

I'm not sure when my crew and I will be arriving. We may not get into town until about 4:30pm or 5pm, and we'll need to get things with our hotel sorted out. Is there a place at the Convention Center we could meet you for unpacking and carrying stuff?

ccesarano:
I'm not sure when my crew and I will be arriving. We may not get into town until about 4:30pm or 5pm, and we'll need to get things with our hotel sorted out. Is there a place at the Convention Center we could meet you for unpacking and carrying stuff?

I can't say for sure what we'll be doing at what time - much of this will be on the fly, for sure.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.