Escapist Expo Volunteer Thread

Pages PREV 1 2

Hrm. Well, we could always try calling the Office number to see if anyone picks up, and if they do then drive on over to help out.

Susan Arendt:
Ok, here's the deal - we'll need volunteers here at the office starting at about 4pm on Thursday. We'll be putting the programs into the bags (about 3000 of 'em!). After that, we'll be unboxing PCs, shlepping them over to the Convention Center, and loading them up for the League of Legends tournament. So a lot of miserable grunt work, but hey, you'll get pizza! And hang out with us in our underground lair!

Did I mention the pizza?

Our address (for those of you with cars) is 406 Blackwell st. We're in the basement of the Crowe building. Look for elevators by a coffee shop called Saladelia and go down. Presto!

Pizza down some possibly shady elevators leading to a basement containing untold evil? Deal!

Count me in for bag stuffing and PC transporting on Thursday. I am super excite. :D

EDIT: Oops, sorry, I won't be there after all. Have fun!

Hey, folks --

Some of you are asking about Thursday, and what times we'll be where. If you're going to get in late, we certainly appreciate your willingness to help, but given that we're not 100% sure where we'll be and when, just plan on showing up in front of the Convention Center at 8am Friday morning for orientation. We will have plenty to do, I assure you.

I hope everyone volunteering has fun! I'd have joined you if I had Friday off :P

Susan Arendt:
Hey, folks --

Some of you are asking about Thursday, and what times we'll be where. If you're going to get in late, we certainly appreciate your willingness to help, but given that we're not 100% sure where we'll be and when, just plan on showing up in front of the Convention Center at 8am Friday morning for orientation. We will have plenty to do, I assure you.

My friends and I aren't volunteers, but I figured a friend in need, etc. In this case, I'll focus my energies to trying to gather non-volunteers for some Thursday night shenanigans.

I wish you all luck with the inner wheels and gears of the Expo!

I'm gonna be flying out in a few hours but I'm not scheduled to arrive until 4:55. Is there a shuttle from the airport to the marriot or do I need to get a cab?

The Marriott does not have an airport shuttle. They have a shuttle service you can call, but unless you're coming in a group it won't be any cheaper than just grabbing a cab.

I'm going to arrive at the airport around 5:45, anyone else likely to show up around the same time interested in splitting the cab fare?

For future reference, I do not know how to find changes in schedule. I wanted to know if there is a particular page where we can find our volunteer schedules or should we just rely on the excel charts from the emails?

I'm in the same boat- the schedule only listed me as having a one-hour shift at Chest High Walls initially, so I've been spending my shifts doing odd jobs for staff or whoever's in charge at the moment.

My assigned shift at CHW was great fun, though, even though it ran long. For the first hour or so we barely had anybody there, but then people showed up in droves and then we had to organize queues and groups and orange tape and counters and whew fun. It was like playing a game of Tetris where the pieces periodically wander off and move into other rows, and also there was a super helpful Zapdos cosplayer who hung around. Oh and that guy with the materia orb things or whatever, like holy frig how does he do that with the moving his hand but the ball doesn't move and it just like hovers there and jumps around seemingly independent of his actions it's like magic. And there was a Dog Tier Jade (from the homestucks yo) who, along with several other people, informed me that I looked like David Tennant, which happens unreasonably often when I'm at a place where everybody knows who that is. And also there was this Riddler cosplayer's charmingly chatty grandma who gave us marketing advice, and we moved tables and tents and orange tape, and halfway through this staff guy showed up and made the whole thing free to play! We refunded people instead of handing out ugly imaginary consolation hats, though. (why would i ever wear the Proof of Purchase when i have an unusual towering pillar i mean cmon). The... wait a minute, I didn't... uh, lemme see. According to the schedule, it was... oh okay. So Victoria and I had our hands full dealing with tickets and parties and wait times but still, good times.

But yeah none of that was actually the point, the point was that the schedule seems a little off and I'm worried that I'm supposed to be being more responsible than I am, like after my shift's over people will ask me if I'm on break and I'm like, uh, I mean I'm done but is there volunteer stuff I still have to do? I don't want to be the guy who's slacking off when he's supposed to be helping out.

completely unrelated, oh my god have you people SEEN the cosplay here, i mean DUDE this shit is bananas. there's Snake and the Gangnam Style guy and a bunch of Steve?s and a Darth Vader and a Pyramid Head that really looked beat up and that Garrus with the realistic mask and the sexy Zapdos and the 10th Doctor (that's TimeLord right? dude your getup is sweet and i may need to steal it) and the Demoman from TF2 (they got more kids in candy corn horns and gray facepaint than they got the likes of me!) and M Bison and like okay there's a kajillion cool getups here is there a thread about it yet

I just wanted to post one big thanks to everyone that helped as a volunteer. I'm sure without you guys this whole thing would have fallen apart.

ccesarano:
I just wanted to post one big thanks to everyone that helped as a volunteer. I'm sure without you guys this whole thing would have fallen apart.

You have no idea. Our volunteers were amazing, and went way above and beyond the call of duty. We couldn't have pulled this off without them.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.