Thursday/Sunday Night Socializing for Early Arrivals and Hanger-Ons

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This is a thread to try and organize gatherings for those of us arriving Thursday night to the Expo and/or leaving on Monday morning, thus needing something to do Sunday evening. I myself am staying in the Marriott attached to the convention center, but feel free to post your own get-togethers at different hotels in the area, or possibly even suggest local places to eat.

In addition, feel free to note anything you plan on bringing, such as board games, DS/3DS games, PSP/Vita games, etc. that you will be bringing.

Durham Marriott City Center

Attached to the convention center.

Thus far all I can find is the restaurant in terms of places to gather for board games. For the time being I will assume there are lounge-style areas where a group can gather for longer periods of time, at least until someone familiar with the hotel can provide additional details and (alternate) locales within the hotel (or convention center).

Board Games
Provided by ccesarano:
- Resident Evil Deck Building Game
- Mall of Horror
- Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil
- Space Hulk: Death Angel
- Munchkin Quest

Provided by Twyce:
- Cash n Guns
- Shadows of Camelot
- 7 Wonders

3DS Games
- Resident Evil: Revelations
- Theathrhythm: Final Fantasy
- New Super Mario Bros. 2
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Dead or Alive: Dimensions
- Kid Icarus: Uprising

COMMENT GAMES YOU'RE BRINGING AND WHAT HOTEL YOU'RE STAYING AT BELOW

Based on current plans, I'm in a weird space right now. My friends and I will be staying at LaQuinta Thusday, the City Center Friday and Saturday, and we're not sure where on Sunday (we're likely going to head out after the expo is done, but I might be able to convince them to stop and hang out for a bit before we leave). It might be wise to set out hang-outs during Friday and Saturday as well for those of us who dislike sleep. :p

I figured I'd leave Friday and Saturday open, as there are going to be late night events such as Movie Night with Movie Bob and the Miracle of Sound concert. Plus, there will be enough attendees and watering holes that I imagine finding people to hang out with will not be a problem.

My clan is arriving Thursday night, but I have a feeling we will be getting in pretty late. We are also staying at the Marriott Durham Center.

We will be bringing the following board games:
Cash n Guns
Shadows over Camelot
7 Wonders

and maybe more.

We'd love to maybe get a group together for some bar crawling (if that is even doable from the location, not sure how the town is laid out). I know Friday and Sat have late night events, but maybe afterwards we can plan something?

I'd love to get a group going, instead of playing 'guess who attended the expo' in a dark bar or restaurant. :D

There's a number of locations within walking distance. Some pals of mine and I were looking for a meet-up of folks from a separate forum, and we managed to find a couple.

I'll post the links here when I'm not feeling so wiped. However, I'll definitely be adding those board games to the list.

You guys are making me want to keep my reservation at the Marriott more and more... if it weren't a great deal more expensive ($50 so) I'd likely just do it. >_< Oh well. As for getting together after the late night events, I'd be up for that. Not sure about a bar crawl though. I'm not a drinker... though I may have my mind changed. We'll see. I'd just like to actually get people together and hang out when the expo isn't directly going on just to keep things interesting.

Our 'group' (well the people I'm travelling with, not really sure we're a group) Will be arriving Wednesday evening. We (well, I) should be available to hang out/do stuff Thursday and Sunday. We all plan on leaving Monday morning.

I won't be bringing any games (besides a few Magic decks), but I'd definitely be up for playing some board/card games.

We're all staying at the Red Roof Inn (which should be about 10 minutes drive from the Expo), but since I'll be carpooling people to and from the hotel, and I don't plan driving back and forth 4 times a day we'll be there as a group or not at all probably...

Kapol:
You guys are making me want to keep my reservation at the Marriott more and more... if it weren't a great deal more expensive ($50 so) I'd likely just do it. >_< Oh well. As for getting together after the late night events, I'd be up for that. Not sure about a bar crawl though. I'm not a drinker... though I may have my mind changed. We'll see. I'd just like to actually get people together and hang out when the expo isn't directly going on just to keep things interesting.

Doesn't necessarily have to be bars with the intention of getting wasted. More like just a social setting for everyone to gather in (outside the expo). I think bars are usually just the most convenient. I'm not a big drinker either :)

Duke University's campus and associated hang out spots are about a 10 minute walk from the Expo area. There are also a myriad of bars, venues, shops and the like clustered around the downtown area.

Eleuthera:
Our 'group' (well the people I'm travelling with, not really sure we're a group) Will be arriving Wednesday evening. We (well, I) should be available to hang out/do stuff Thursday and Sunday. We all plan on leaving Monday morning.

I won't be bringing any games (besides a few Magic decks), but I'd definitely be up for playing some board/card games.

We're all staying at the Red Roof Inn (which should be about 10 minutes drive from the Expo), but since I'll be carpooling people to and from the hotel, and I don't plan driving back and forth 4 times a day we'll be there as a group or not at all probably...

We do have 3 cars actually, there's yours, and both my roommates have a car and a truck. :D

I would like to think of us as a small group/posť/gang/awesome team of awesome. We'll probably hang out in the evenings together at any rate.

sky14kemea:

Eleuthera:

We do have 3 cars actually, there's yours, and both my roommates have a car and a truck. :D

I would like to think of us as a small group/posť/gang/awesome team of awesome. We'll probably hang out in the evenings together at any rate.

Ooh, extra cars. those can come in handy :)
I guess we'll see how many people end up at the RRI, but I'm pretty sure there will be some carpooling going on ;)

I'm staying in the area for a little while after the expo ('til Wednesday), just because I didn't want to fly out to the US for any less than a week. Not sure what I'll be doing after, but thinking I might see Ben Folds in Cary on the Monday...

If anyone knows of anything super awesome happening in the area post-expo, let me know!

Nasrin:
Duke University's campus and associated hang out spots are about a 10 minute walk from the Expo area. There are also a myriad of bars, venues, shops and the like clustered around the downtown area.

Hrm. That might be something to consider. The hotel is a desired location as anyone walking in and out can theoretically see the gathered geeks, making socializing with new folks easier. However, if there's truly no good spot, a campus location might be best.

What sort of areas look like they'd be able to hold such gatherings?

Anyone who's down to get some drinks Friday and/or Saturday, let me know. I'll be at my booth (pixel art paradise) during most of the con, but I'm free after the hall closes. :D

I just wanna know if there's any good arcades in the area. This arcade rat has been jonesin'.

I'd totally be up for some Escapist virtual racing. Or showing off with gun games.

The Rogue Wolf:
I just wanna know if there's any good arcades in the area. This arcade rat has been jonesin'.

I'd totally be up for some Escapist virtual racing. Or showing off with gun games.

I only got a few skill ranks in Googling, but all I could drum up was a place called Snarks, who doesn't seem to have a very good website. Maybe one of the Escapist employees from the area are more familiar?

The second place I found is called Palace Pointe, though their partial list of arcade games leaves something to be desired.

Maybe another Google search can yield more information for Snarks, as that seems more in line for what you're looking for?

Hi- don't know if there has been and established meeting time or place but I for one would enjoy some gaming before the expo. Staying at the Marriott and arriving early. If there is board game playing or a pub crawl please let me know.

I'll have a tablet with me, so I plan on keeping this thread updated when I arrive.

Anyone who's getting in early enough and would be willing to help us out Thursday evening, we'd be much obliged!

Susan Arendt:
Anyone who's getting in early enough and would be willing to help us out Thursday evening, we'd be much obliged!

What time is 'early enough' out of curiousity? My group will hopefully getting in somewhere between 6-8 and, after settling in, I might be willing to come and help out if possible.

I'm going to have a decently large group with me, so if you can provide some details and info we might be able to lend a helping hand. It'll be good to move around after a 7.5 hour car ride.

And then board games!

Kapol:

Susan Arendt:

What time is 'early enough' out of curiousity? My group will hopefully getting in somewhere between 6-8 and, after settling in, I might be willing to come and help out if possible.

I believe we'll begin Thursday at 4 in the afternoon

Ok, so we'll begin stuffing programs into bags around 4pm at our offices here in the American Tobacco Campus (ATC). After that, we'll be shlepping computers over to the convention center. Not really sure how long it'll all take.

For those of us arriving too late to be of assistance to The Escapists, I will be scouting around the Hotel seeking out areas to do the gamings. There are a couple of methods I figured I could try and keep in contact with people.

1) Phone number. I could text anyone interested when and where we are meeting. This is the most direct way, but a huge pain in the ass if there's a lot of people that want to be contacted.

2) This thread. With the advent of smart phones and tablets it should be easy enough to bookmark this thread ahead of time and refresh it with updates as to where people will be meeting up.

3) Twitter. I'll use hashtag #EscapistExpo to notify where and when I'm playing board games.

As of this moment, Thursday, Friday and Sunday night will be my free evenings for board games and gatherings. So look out for posts here and on Twitter. Naturally, if anyone wants to post their own findings and decisions, feel free to post here.

The fifth board game I shall be bringing is Munchkin Quest. I'm a bit iffy on it since it requires a decently large table, but shouldn't require one so large as my other games, Gears of War, Game of Thrones and Order of the Stick (plus, I'm more familiar with the Munchkin Quest rules).

I look forward to gaming with anyone that wishes to join tomorrow night! I'll post information here as soon as possible.

And in response of this once more:

Nasrin:

The University might actually be a perfect spot if their doors are open to non-students during the evenings. Depends on if I feel like exploring Thursday night or not.

For helping on Thursday, is there anything we should know or could do if it turns out we can? Like where should we go to help? It seems my group might be arriving a bit earlier then expected (if I can get myself out of bed), and as stated before, I would like to help out if possible.

Also, I'm fine with hanging out wherever works Cesarano. But I might be meeting up with people on another forum, so I'm not sure.

Safety and anonymity be damned!

Is anyone else holed up at the Duke Tower hotel?

At time of writing, I'm sat here with a bowl of Froot Loops and jet lag, wondering what to do for the day. :P

If anyone gets here Thursday night and is looking for something to do, there's a movie I HIGHLY recommend. It plays at the Carolina Theatre, and the movie is called The Revenant. It's a zombie/vampire highbreed kind of movie, and it's REALLY, really awesome. It plays only twice, and has been playing select around the country. Showtimes are 7:20 & 9:30, I know watching a movie is kinda eh, but I do recommend this movie, and I'll be at the 9:30 showing, thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Link to the site's showtimes -> http://www.carolinatheatre.org/films

My group and I just got here a few hours ago and have been doing some exploring.
Is the expo going to be the bottom floor? 'Cause the top two floors are swarming with pre-K edumacators and arts & crafts.

Also staying at the Marriott, by the way.

Dire Sloth:

Is the expo going to be the bottom floor? 'Cause the top two floors are swarming with pre-K edumacators and arts & crafts.

Huh, can you imagine if the Expo and them combined forces? One hell of a mix.

My crew is heading out from Northern VA in a couple of hours. I suspect we won't be getting in til verryyyyy veerrryyy late (as in early AM late). I wonder if anywhere will be open to grab some food before hitting the hay D:

We are at the Marriott also.

Twyce:

Dire Sloth:

Huh, can you imagine if the Expo and them combined forces? One hell of a mix.

My crew is heading out from Northern VA in a couple of hours. I suspect we won't be getting in til verryyyyy veerrryyy late (as in early AM late). I wonder if anywhere will be open to grab some food before hitting the hay D:

We are at the Marriott also.

I fucked up and got the wrong hotel. So mo pre-k crafts.

Dire Sloth:

Oh no, so you aren't at the Marriott?

My crew just arrived. The Marriott (right on Foster Street) looks to have plenty of space for board games so after we grab dinner, look for four guys sitting at a table playing board games. Maybe around 8 or 9 pm I'd say.

Twyce:

Dire Sloth:

Oh no, so you aren't at the Marriott?

We were, but it was the wrong one. All the way in Raleigh. I shit a ton of bricks and built a house with them!
Now we're at Duke Towers!
CLOSE ONE!

ccesarano:
My crew just arrived. The Marriott (right on Foster Street) looks to have plenty of space for board games so after we grab dinner, look for four guys sitting at a table playing board games. Maybe around 8 or 9 pm I'd say.

Are you guys hungry by any chance? We're outside of the convention center looking for places to eat.

Dire Sloth:

ccesarano:

Are you guys hungry by any chance? We're outside of the convention center looking for places to eat.

Ack! We just ate! Which reminds me: the Mellow Mushroom gets my full approval. For Calzones at least. As I very much love pizza, we may have to return.

I contemplated going to Whiskey tonight, but I think I'll stick around here and do the board game thing instead. I don't feel like such a busy club tonight. So feel free to look for nerds with board games!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.