Saturday Night Pary? Pub Crawl?

I read about this in one of the threads. What're the details on the Saturday Night shindig? Bands, food, drinks?

And what was this mentioning of a pub crawl? We need to organize this!

aretelio:
I read about this in one of the threads. What're the details on the Saturday Night shindig? Bands, food, drinks?

And what was this mentioning of a pub crawl? We need to organize this!

Gavin is doing a show with D&D Sluggers and Random Encounter. The info is on the expo site:
http://www.escapistexpo.com/event/special/saturday-night-shindig

Food and drink will be all around, as both bars and restaurants are abundant in downtown Durham.

I'd prefer not to crawl to pubs. But I might be fine with walking. :p

yeah, I was discussing this with my friend. He's all like "Do they call it a crawl because you're too wasted to walk to the next bar?"
He's got a point. Let's skip merrily to the bar... then stumble to the next.

FYI, there's a nifty looking place called Bill McCabe's that's a ten minute walk, but they won't split the check for parties of 8 or more. They have a pretty informative website. That's where I'm holding a meetup with another crew from another forum, or looking to once I get some votes in.

Other locations we looked at were Full Steam Brewery (which doesn't offer much info on their menu aside from alcohol or if there's quiet areas to talk to friends), The Republic (which looks rather fancy), Whiskey (which looks to require a membership so is probably not permitted), and Beyu Caffe.

EDIT: Nevermind, that cafe doesn't have alcohol. I don't know why it was suggested for a meet-up, then.

ccesarano:

EDIT: Nevermind, that cafe doesn't have alcohol. I don't know why it was suggested for a meet-up, then.

Because not everyone is a "bar crawl" kinda person. =P

Speaking of which, who's in for a café crawl?!? Huh?!? Huh?!?!

... Yeah okay.. I'll just go over here. ->

sky14kemea:

ccesarano:

Because not everyone is a "bar crawl" kinda person. =P

Speaking of which, who's in for a café crawl?!? Huh?!? Huh?!?!

... Yeah okay.. I'll just go over here. ->

I'm not a drinker myself, so wherever I go I'll likely just be hanging out unless someone convinces me to have a few drinks. I'd be fine with a cafe crawl at some point.

Maybe I just haven't been to the right cafe's, but most of them seem better suited to smaller groups. Pubs and bars, on the other hand, are used to lots of people looking to party hardy and get drunk, so there's usually a place you can have a large gathering.

I used to not drink alcohol as well, so I understand. As such, I try to find places that have a decent food selection as well. That way if you don't drink, there's at least something you CAN enjoy. Food is usually not the point of a pub crawl, though truth told, haven't been a part of one yet, and if this is on Saturday then I likely won't be.

I just figured I'd toss some ideas out. :)

Hmm, I feel obligated to share my Durham-ness. Let's give this a shot.

ccesarano:
FYI, there's a nifty looking place called Bill McCabe's that's a ten minute walk, but they won't split the check for parties of 8 or more. They have a pretty informative website. That's where I'm holding a meetup with another crew from another forum, or looking to once I get some votes in.

This is a HUGE Duke University hangout so it will most likely be packed with students.

ccesarano:

Other locations we looked at were Full Steam Brewery (which doesn't offer much info on their menu aside from alcohol or if there's quiet areas to talk to friends),

They regularly have food trucks outside but they don't have an actual restaurant.

ccesarano:

The Republic (which looks rather fancy),

It is, or so I've heard

ccesarano:
Whiskey (which looks to require a membership so is probably not permitted),

Strict dress code and a fee to cover membership. Though they have a great selection of whiskeys, bourbons and scotches. And the membership part lets you smoke inside.

ccesarano:
and Beyu Caffe.

Great food during the day though!

Don't forget that we will have a cash bar during the shindig throughout the entire time but if you're looking for fun beyond the shindig or at another timeTyler's has a fantastic selection at the American Tabacco Campus (which happens to be where some of the Expo stuff is occuring as well, and I believe they will be offering a discount to Expo attendees). James Joyce is the closest thing to an Irish pub in downtown Durham and a great place for a pint. The Federal is next door and equally awesome.

I was planning on calling in to make a reservation for my group from another forum, and primarily hoping for outside dining so noise would be less of an issue. Might have to change location, but at least Tyler's and James Joyce seem good choices.

James Joyce and The Federal are likely perfect for a pub crawl, though, what with being next door to each other.

Bull City Brewery has some of the best burgers around here, and a Boylan soda fountain machine, and fries made with ducks.

Oh and beer/wine. :D

Kross:
and fries made with ducks.

Do you mean made with duck fat or actual ducks? Because the later is extremely weird!

TimeLord:

Kross:

Do you mean made with duck fat or actual ducks? Because the later is extremely weird!

Duck fat, though I'm sure the ducks thought it was part of them. :D

For actual ducks and other non standard meats, you'll have to check out http://nanataco.com/food.htm (about 3 minutes down the road from our office, right next to http://www.theqshackoriginal.com/menu.html )

I hope everyone's hungry!

Any near-by bars with karaoke? :P

TimeLord:

Kross:

Nonono, you're thinking of it wrong. The fries are made with duck fat or ducks in the way you're thinking (I think). The ducks actually help make them. And as such, they're a bit sloppy and have some deep-fried feathers mixed in.

I need 2 crawls. Looking for a good beer/bar crawl every night and lookin to crawl for some coffee every morning. Please let there be a Starbucks at the convention center I require a KVO drip of coffee to live in the daylight :0

Alright, anyone familiar with GamersWithJobs, we're having our website get-together at Tyler's Tap Room at 5pm Saturday. So if you are in the area between then and 8pm, feel free to look for me and say hello. I'm the guy from these photos, though I won't be wearing the hat.

ccesarano:
Alright, anyone familiar with GamersWithJobs, we're having our website get-together at Tyler's Tap Room at 5pm Saturday. So if you are in the area between then and 8pm, feel free to look for me and say hello. I'm the guy from these photos, though I won't be wearing the hat.

At 6pm Tyler's has a dinner menu.

That is when you order the Mac & Cheese + Chicken + Shrimp + Pork for slightly too much money and regret nothing.

Does anyone want to organize places to meet on Friday or Sunday nights? Personally I was planning on Dame's Chicken & Waffles for dinner on Friday, but am up for drinks after.

Kross:

ccesarano:

At 6pm Tyler's has a dinner menu.

That is when you order the Mac & Cheese + Chicken + Shrimp + Pork for slightly too much money and regret nothing.

I've lived on University Dr for 5 years now and somehow never been to any of these places. Must try.
Had to work Friday but definitely making Saturday and Sunday.

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.