Expo Ideas

Pages PREV 1 2

Susan Arendt:

The vast majority of our volunteers went sooooooo far above and beyond the call, but some just plain bailed on us. And it's silly, but it really hurt my feelings.

I'd really like to apologize for my half-assed volunteering. I was so worried about making it to panels rather than helping out a lot of the time.
Next year! Total complete %100 dedication to volunteering!
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

verdestylo13:
Could the following be provided?
Better communication about what having a VIP badge allows you to do.
I was not notified about the cocktail party time or location. (No e-mail) Asked a Volunteer.....they told me no such this was going on. Still bummed because I brought a formal kimono and my best manners to attend hoping to interact with the staff and content contributors in less hurried more relaxed setting.
It would have been great to thank your team for providing such an interesting site in person. Sadly, I found out hours later...after the party had already happened.

Was there a VIP badge line?
I got to wait in line quietly following the volunteers direction watching rude people push past me flip off the volunteers and run into the convention on the first morning.
This got better as more volunteers were stationed at the beginning of the con.

More Night time events.... Burlesque was fantastic.
Please, please invite them back next year.
They were phenomenal and on target to their audience.

A second miracle of sound concert...if possible?
An award for the Volunteer who ran Kings Landing all weekend - he was a pleasure to talk with.
Was POLITE and knew how to work a room full of people to get then seated orderly and in to the event quickly!

For clarification, the cocktail party was not for VIPs, it was for sponsors, special guests, that sort of thing. Sorry about the confusion.

There was a VIP-only line at registration - the issue with that was we allowed too many VIP passes to be purchased. Lesson learned for next year.

Thank for the clarification! Appreciate it! :)

I mentioned it in one of the video threads, but this seems a more appropriate place:

In advance it would be cool if forum members were allowed to send in questions for panellists, the staff of the Escapist then choose the best ones to ask the panel. Perhaps in the Expo section there could be "What would you like to ask the panellists?" thread.

Susan Arendt:
There was a VIP-only line at registration - the issue with that was we allowed too many VIP passes to be purchased. Lesson learned for next year.

No kidding. I had a hard time finding other people that weren't also VIP. I like to feel high and mighty around total strangers because of small marks on the tag around my neck. Instead it bred a sense of equality for all early adopters and devoted Escapists. What kind of Expo is that?

In all sincerity, the enormous number of VIPs showed that we all wanted as much out of this expo as possible, their indication on our badges showing our dedication and allowing conversations about the content of this site to open up more easily. If there was a means of customizing the badges with up to 3 symbols shown on the badge of our favorite content from The Escapist (ZP, LRR, MoS), then it would show what parts of the site we were knowledgeable about, but without allowing for a cluster of VIPs and offer the best of both worlds. Just a thought.

Susan Arendt:

I can't imagine you guys expected nearly as many people to jump on the early train as you ended up seeing.

Silverspud:
If there was a means of customizing the badges with up to 3 symbols shown on the badge of our favorite content from The Escapist (ZP, LRR, MoS), then it would show what parts of the site we were knowledgeable about, but without allowing for a cluster of VIPs and offer the best of both worlds. Just a thought.

A badge with three "slots" and a selection of stickers with symbols for the various features would definitely be welcome!

If there's another anime theater next year, they should have the anime shown there be of more popular anime, such as Dragon Ball Z or Fullmetal Alchemist. Most of the time I went in there it was nearly empty, but then again, I guess it couldn't compete with the awesome panels and free arcade games. I did enjoy the last anime they showed there, Dragon Age - Dawn of the Seeker.

Also would of been nice to see more comic book retailers on the floor. I understand Ultimate Comics was local, but I think another from in the Research Triangle region, or Piedmont Triad region, Cape Fear region, or the Charlotte Metro region would be a nice fit too. Comic book retailers enjoy going to conventions like these I think, as they enjoy going to one's such as the Heroes Convention in Charlotte NC during June. (Honestly think the Escapist should have a booth at the Heroes Convention in 2013. Think it would be an awesome welcome addition and make it even greater for the convention along with if it's true Marvel's Stan Lee will be returning back as he enjoyed 2012's convention a lot from what I've heard.)

Also think some of the Escapists should have their own special panels. Graham and Paul had their own, as did Dr Mark, but a separate one for Yahtzee, another for MovieBob, another for Jim, and another for whoever else would also be enjoyable. Make it easier for everybody to ask questions quickly to their favorite Escapists.

I think the biggest reason the anime room was so empty was due to the fact that no one was aware of it ahead of time and no one quite knew how to find the place. I can't speak for others on the selection, but I prefer seeing anime I had never seen before, and after watching the Tales of Vesperia anime I am more inclined to check out the game now.

If you have anime that people are already aware of, well, why would you watch it at a convention?

Susan Arendt:

At the risk of sounding like a snob I would imagine you'd want to make the VIP passes around an order of magnitude more expensive as well as adding additional VIP features.

I'd be all about that, by the way.

The badges were rather flimsy. I noticed many people's badges had been broken where the lanyard is supposed to clip onto it. I would certainly like to see a more substantial badge material rather than cardboard for next year. Plastic would work well. Not sure of the costs for it though...

Mexi-Con!
If those weirdoes in cat-ears can make their silly cons, why can't we?
*Dons a sombrero*

Saarai-fan:
(Honestly think the Escapist should have a booth at the Heroes Convention in 2013. Think it would be an awesome welcome addition and make it even greater for the convention along with if it's true Marvel's Stan Lee will be returning back as he enjoyed 2012's convention a lot from what I've heard.)

I think a booth at Heroescon would be a great idea!

ccesarano:
I think the biggest reason the anime room was so empty was due to the fact that no one was aware of it ahead of time and no one quite knew how to find the place. I can't speak for others on the selection, but I prefer seeing anime I had never seen before, and after watching the Tales of Vesperia anime I am more inclined to check out the game now.

If you have anime that people are already aware of, well, why would you watch it at a convention?

I agree that perhaps it would be a good idea for the Escapist to inform it's audience a bit better about the Anime Theater if they do it again. As for the anime being more well known, I think as long as perhaps they're adaptions lots haven't seen, I think they might turn up. To this day I haven't seen DBZ's "Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans," "Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return," or "Episode of Bardock" Haven't seen FMA's "The Sacred Star of Milos." But I do think having some not so well known anime mixed in would help too. I enjoyed seeing Fairy Tail and Dragon Age when I saw them. Only saw the last part of Tales of Vesperia though. Wished I saw the whole thing as it looked good. Hopefully it's on Netflix.

Chiki:
I think a booth at Heroescon would be a great idea!

Thanks for agreeing. I really do think it would be a nice fit at Heroes Con. Just to further note, I wouldn't mind it if the booth's only purpose was to sell Escapist merchandise and perhaps inform convention goers of the site. But it would be also cool if one of the Escapists came there, such as Graham and Paul, or Yahtzee, or MovieBob, or Jim.

gamefreakbsp:
The badges were rather flimsy. I noticed many people's badges had been broken where the lanyard is supposed to clip onto it. I would certainly like to see a more substantial badge material rather than cardboard for next year. Plastic would work well. Not sure of the costs for it though...

Yep, we tried to go an eco-friendly route with the badges, which turned out to be a mistake. We knew they wouldn't be super-sturdy, but we didn't think they'd be that easily ripped. Lesson learned.

Susan Arendt:

gamefreakbsp:

Yep, we tried to go an eco-friendly route with the badges, which turned out to be a mistake. We knew they wouldn't be super-sturdy, but we didn't think they'd be that easily ripped. Lesson learned.

If you can foot the bill for it next year making elaborate/sturdy badges is always a really nice touch to any con. I keep the Dragon*Con badges as souvenirs each year because they're pretty and are a great reminder of the event specific to that year.

Example courtesy of google:

Actually that does bring to mind that more eco-friendly badges may be made out of materials that are easier to fake, creating an issue with fake badges.

I think it would be cool to have a little something for forum users

I was wondering how many people at the Expo (especially on Saturday) were actual forum users

It could be just one guy shouting outside, but it could be amusing

But still, great job overall! :D

Having badges with our usernames on them would be a nice addition. (If no-one hasn't mentioned that yet. D: )

Aeryn Seoung:
Having badges with our usernames on them would be a nice addition. (If no-one hasn't mentioned that yet. D: )

I love this idea.

Badges with names on them are a registration nightmare. Almost every time I hear a horror story about a con with a multi-hour registration line, even for pre-registered people, it's one of the ones who put names on the badges. It really does add a ton of work and time both before and during the show.

That said, I actually think community members being able to have their forum names displayed is awesome. The thing I've seen that seems to work best is a badge which is slightly larger than the show badge and sits underneath.

At PAX, I know that the community organizes this themselves, and the only piece of information I think you would need would be the dimensions of the show badge.

I only skimmed this thread and may have missed someone else making this suggestion, but it would be awesome if you could get The Protomen to play next year. Timing might be an issue, since they'll surely be on the west coast for PAX again.

A word of warning if you do get them: They have a LOT of stuff to set up on stage, so schedule them accordingly. I've been to some of their shows where it took over an hour to get set up, sound checked, in costume and ready to play. Also most of their shows i've been to they played long sets. For those reasons I recommend having them go either first or last.

Please no Real Life Names On badges.... This was the first con I have attended that badge line as it was QUICK. The volunteers Checked your info Gave you your badge some free stuff...BAM you were on your way! (10min tops!)( Not like the Dragon Con line that the minimum wait is 3 hours with preregistration)(SP)
If you put a BLANK space for your User name that might be a good idea.

Yeah, we won't be putting names on badges, but a blank might be a good compromise.

verdestylo13:
Please no Real Life Names On badges.... This was the first con I have attended that badge line as it was QUICK. The volunteers Checked your info Gave you your badge some free stuff...BAM you were on your way! (10min tops!)( Not like the Dragon Con line that the minimum wait is 3 hours with preregistration)(SP)

I don't know when the last time you went to D*Con was, but the last two years I've been I was in line for less than 5 minutes. That was Friday morning registration both times.

Fappy:

verdestylo13:

I don't know when the last time you went to D*Con was, but the last two years I've been I was in line for less than 5 minutes. That was Friday morning registration both times.

Last time I was at Dragon Con was Last year. It was a 3 hour wait. I am pleased that you were in an out of line so quickly. (If you would be so kind as to tell me how you accomplished that so I can add it to my Dragon con Wiki.) We had postcards ... took ourselves to the early line ... stood there for 3 hours... got badge ...skipped back to the hotel... passed out in preparation for not sleeping most of dragon con.

verdestylo13:

Fappy:

verdestylo13:

Last time I was at Dragon Con was Last year. It was a 3 hour wait. I am pleased that you were in an out of line so quickly. (If you would be so kind as to tell me how you accomplished that so I can add it to my Dragon con Wiki.) We had postcards ... took ourselves to the early line ... stood there for 3 hours... got badge ...skipped back to the hotel... passed out in preparation for not sleeping most of dragon con.

I think it really depends how early you guys went to register. We don't get up very early for cons, so we couldn't have been there any earlier than around 10 or 11am Friday morning.

Fappy:

verdestylo13:

Fappy:

I think it really depends how early you guys went to register. We don't get up very early for cons, so we couldn't have been there any earlier than around 10 or 11am Friday morning.

My con mates ensured we were up at the crack of dawn. Well consider 10AM for the Next Dragon Con. Thanks for sharing. Will be attending other cons in 2013 - Lovecraft, World Con, Reader Con and if there is a repeat The EXPO. It was a great atmosphere to be in.

verdestylo13:

Fappy:

verdestylo13:

My con mates ensured we were up at the crack of dawn. Well consider 10AM for the Next Dragon Con. Thanks for sharing. Will be attending other cons in 2013 - Lovecraft, World Con, Reader Con and if there is a repeat The EXPO. It was a great atmosphere to be in.

Yeah, I loved the Expo. Hope it keeps the same low-key atmosphere next year. It's a breath of fresh air after D*Con.

Just thought of this, but I think it might be fun if some Abridged anime voice actors were invited to the next Escapist Expo too. People like LittleKuriboh, KaiserNeko, Lanipator, MasakoX, Takahata101, and Megami33. Heard they only go to conventions they're invited to. They might even do an event at the expo to show off their work on anything they're working on at the time. Think they'd be funny to have around.

is it already clear when the next escapist expo will take place, i heard about the event and became interested

Cimble:
is it already clear when the next escapist expo will take place, i heard about the event and became interested

Nothing official yet, it's been tentatively set for October.

Eleuthera:

Cimble:

Nothing official yet, it's been tentatively set for October.

Now I wait for the mentioning of ticket sales...

*Puts up tent and whistles campfire songs*

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.