Expo regrets

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So now that most people are back home and letting their minds linger on Expo while getting back to their real lives, I'm sure that there are regrets everyone had at Expo. I'm not talking about the big crazy ones that create lifetime movies, I'm talking small things.

Maybe you missed out on a panel, or didn't buy something quick enough. Maybe you wanted to do something but missed out on it, or didn't bring something/forgot something to get signed or show off. List goes on, but what's your biggest regrets about the happenings at Expo?

I had 3 sorta big ones. I regret not getting a chance to talk to Yahtzee a bit (although I doubt many Expo-goers did, understandably but still), I regret not extra securing my Yen necklace before the cosplay show, and I regret not getting to laser tag on Saturday like I had originally planned...didn't get to shoot y'all from behind walls that stop the bullets coming at me that are only as high as my chest.

I regret not going to Laser Tag earlier. I planned on going on Sunday but then it was cancelled due to the rain :(

I also regret not getting to speak to Gavin or Chris outside of the panels.

I also regret being an annoying fan to Yahtzee on the plane. I could have at least asked how he was instead of just going up for a signature :P

Oh yeah and I didn't get a picture of myself with the chainsword :(

TimeLord:
I regret not going to Laser Tag earlier. I planned on going on Sunday but then it was cancelled due to the rain :(

My one major regret was that I DID go to Chest-High Walls. Fun, yeah, but I kinda wrecked my knee. :(

First person to make a "laser to the knee" joke gets taken out back and shot.

I regret not going to ANY panels. I'd always head to one, see the giant line and turn my ass right back around.

I regret getting a migraine on Sat and missing the Miracle of Sound concert.

Finally, I regret not talking to any Escapist Panelists when I saw them (Mainly: Graham and Paul, and Jim Sterling, who was waiting for the elevator the same time as me), I blame my crippling shyness.

Ah well, there is always next time!

My biggest regret was one that kept coming back to me multiple times a day:

Not exchanging information with any of the awesome people I hung out with/chatted with during those three days.

failedpoet:
In fact, I even started a thread with that in mind. :)

Also, it would have been pretty awesome to hang with some of the folks who's content I absorb on a daily basis. I chatted with MovieBob for maybe a minute while I was terribly drunk in a tiny room party immediately before we were all kicked out.

Next year? I'm buying shots and or cookies for at least Graham, Yahtzee, MovieBob, Gavin, and Susan. At the LEAST.

I regret being too shy to go up and ask Gavin a question in his songwriting panel. I suck.

I regret not being able to go to the Expo. Does that count?

Aeryn Seoung:
I regret being too shy to go up and ask Gavin a question in his songwriting panel. I suck.

What was your question?

As for my own regrets, I wish I'd had more time to socialize with people. I knew I'd be busy, but I had no idea just how busy. Let's plan a group breakfast next time, ok? I really do want to chat with you guys more next time.

Susan Arendt:

Aeryn Seoung:

What was your question?

I remember him saying that he had a tiiiiny recording studio, and wanted to ask him specifics on his set-up. (Most of which was answered in other questions pretty much) I used to do a bit of work in recording studios and as a tech for lighting and sound in musicals and such, so it was something I was really curious about.

Susan Arendt:

Aeryn Seoung:

What was your question?

As for my own regrets, I wish I'd had more time to socialize with people. I knew I'd be busy, but I had no idea just how busy. Let's plan a group breakfast next time, ok? I really do want to chat with you guys more next time.

I talked to Mud a bit about it and it'd be great to have some kind of community meet & greet during the Expo. I actually wanted to talk to you as well (and some others), but every time I saw you you were zipping around doing what needed to be done!

Fijiman:

Same here, a damned shame too, considering all the fun that was had.
Good thing Team Hollywood is posting videos of the panels for those of us who didn't attend.

I regret not going. :( Alas, the downsides to being an Arts Student living in South Australia - so broke that buying anyone birthday presents means I don't have lunch for a week, let alone the money for a trip to America and back for an Expo.

I regret not getting around to the laser tag. It was actually one of the things I was most excited about and I wound up not doing it. I also regret not going to the favorite game and hour of love panels. I didn't even realize I regretted that until I watched the recordings of them last night. Finally, I regret that I couldn't find the guts to my Commissar's bolt pistol (nerf recon) and had to use a barricade which kept malfunctioning on me and got me killed in the zombie game. I had to gut the bolt pistol to carry it with my commissar costume at pax east, and I lost one piece of it that was required to make it function again. At least I went out leading from the front and refusing to retreat in the face of certain death at the hands of the Emperor's enemies.

Fijiman:

Yeah... The problem is that it's so far away from The Netherlands...

ElektroNeko:

Fijiman:

Yeah... The problem is that it's so far away from The Netherlands...

I only live in Virginia so I'm not that far, but I have no money and I had no disire to drive that far by myself.

I saw every panel on my list and participated in every tournament that piqued my interest (and failed spectacularly, but had fun). My smaller regrets include not trying out any tabletop RPGs or boardgames with other players. I don't regret seeing the Berlesque Show, even though I'll never be able to play Bioshock again without certain images assaulting my mind. Biggest one would have to be letting shyness get the best of me and avoiding the opportunity to chat with Escapist personalities, even when they were sitting at the table next to mine or sharing an elevator ride with me. I couldn't think of anything to say without gushing about how hilarious or insightful they are and how happy they make me each day of the week. Ah well, maybe next year...

Aeryn Seoung:

Susan Arendt:

Aeryn Seoung:

What was your question?

I remember him saying that he had a tiiiiny recording studio, and wanted to ask him specifics on his set-up. (Most of which was answered in other questions pretty much) I used to do a bit of work in recording studios and as a tech for lighting and sound in musicals and such, so it was something I was really curious about.

I wanted to ask him about that too when he mentioned it since I do recording and sound for theatre and for a production company.

I was hoping to run into him and ask him, but he was so busy and I chickened out. >.>

Fijiman:

i second this D: i wanted to go but no moneys for it

TimeLord:

I also regret being an annoying fan to Yahtzee on the plane. I could have at least asked how he was instead of just going up for a signature :P

Did somebody say Chainsword?

Nasrin:

YES! That's how I knew there was one! I saw that picture on your Facebook and was instantly jealous!

TimeLord:

YES! That's how I knew there was one! I saw that picture on your Facebook and was instantly jealous!

I'm just glad I had time to even TAKE a picture. We stopped by to see if they needed help and I figured playing with the ridiculously heavy and ornately made sword was a good way of expressing that.

I prefer to think of it in terms of "lessons learned" rather than regrets. For example, based on previous years experience of doing cons I organized my clothes differently this time, by day, which turned out to be very effective. Small lesson, I know, but a lesson nonetheless.

Another lesson is to possibly make my own sign for gathering Escapist attendees on Thursday night. That way we're not always shouting to people asking if they're attendees and telling them to join us.

Next time we'll bring a good amount of our own alcohol in order to avoid the abysmal times and selection of the ABC stores and to also avoid paying high prices throughout the city/hotel.

On that note, small gatherings in the hotel room (Friday night) are okay. Large gatherings in the hotel room (Saturday night) are not okay. Stick to the lounge for larger gatherings.

Get to the Chest High Walls on Friday, because it was full on Saturday by time I was able to make it. On that note, don't believe people when they say Chest High Walls is closed on Sunday due to weather, because we passed by right before closing time on Sunday and people were playing. I mean come on!

This might sound weird, but I actually feel kind of crap for our group inviting the D20 girls over to our room as they were right next to us, yet I never took the time/chance (or maybe I never had it?) to really talk to any of them and learn who they were. I got to talk to a couple, but I didn't have any substantial conversation with them and that is a failing on my part.

Which leads to my most frequently learned lesson from these events: be more outgoing. I mean it seems weird of me to say this, as I wound up having so many friend requests to make and respond to on Facebook after this. I've NEVER had that after a convention. Yet I still feel like I could have done more for some reason.

So yeah, that would be my list of lessons learned. :)

Nasrin:

TimeLord:

That's a good substitute for a banhammer.

I regret that the one chance I had to interact with MovieBob ended with him saying something funny about mosquitoes rather than me working up the guts to try and tell him how much I ADORE his shows or how much I link his videos to people to try and explain why I love Sucker Punch so much, or even get his autograph or anything.

It's funny, even though all of the Escapist staff are just big ol' nerds like me and should, by all rights, be extremely accessible, I just had a weirdly difficult time working up the courage to talk to them.

I REGRET NOTHING.

just kidding. I wish I'd talked to Yahtzee more, I apologize to everyone that got drunken texts from me Friday night, and I wish I'd stayed in the lobby later on Saturday night with the party crew. Apparently after I left a few of the Escapist folk were down there and I totally missed it. Sorry, I was tired and had a booth to run, flight to catch, etc etc.

ccesarano:
I wound up having so many friend requests to make and respond to on Facebook after this. I've NEVER had that after a convention. Yet I still feel like I could have done more for some reason.

I know the feels.

Nasrin:

TimeLord:

Those suspenders are awesome!

Fijiman:

I second that. I hope they have another one,would really love to go to the panels and see Yatzee rage wen I ask him how he felt while playing FF10

Oh, forgot one: One of the inclusions in the swag bag was a notebook which I started to use as an alternative-autograph getter. I basically asked a few people to sketch themselves destroying something they hate, and while I got some cool sketches (including the D&D Sluggers and Cory Rydell) there are a bunch of other folk I didn't even think to get sketches from. I think I'll bring it with me across multiple different shows, though.

Aeryn Seoung:

Aw, you can ask me now :)

Susan Arendt:

Aeryn Seoung:

What was your question?

Actually on our way home we were talking about how next year we're going to book an extra day, specifically to just chill and hang out with fans/staff. Would've been great to have a nice casual day with everyone!

MiracleOfSound:

Aeryn Seoung:

Then please, do tell me all the intimate details about the general setup in your recording studio, as well as any hardware and software you typically use. :3

A couple of my main regrets:

Not going onstage for 'Mining All Day Long.' I was worried that I wouldn't get the lyrics right and then managed to do it perfectly while singing along anyways.

Not getting the chance to chat with Jim personally. Beyond getting an autograph and a couple small similar things, I didn't get to interact with him much. What made it worse was that a couple I met up with from another forum had dinner with him and, had I been staying at the Marriott that night, I might have been able to too. Why Jim in particular? Because I'm a big fan of his work and, even when I don't agree with him or think an episode is going to be biased, he always does a great job with explaining his side of the issue.

I did get to chat informally with other content providers thankfully. It didn't help I was afraid to speak with any of the crew while the expo was active because everyone was so busy and I didn't want to take their time up anymore then I already did.

Not doing the Chest High Walls. Like others, I had planned on doing it Sunday but the rain made it impossible.

Other then those relatively small things I don't have many regrets. Next time (if there is one) I need to figure out a better way of carrying things. My backpack was soooo heavy and hurt my shoulders. It had: cookies, Magic decks, my Magic trade-stuff, dice, a 3DS, and basically anything else I felt was important to have with me.

EDIT: Oh, and not getting a picture of the Last Supper.

Susan Arendt:

It would be nice to do something like that, but it'd likely require a whole restaurant being booked given how many people would likely want to come. Being busy making sure the entire expo was actually running is a good excuse for not being able to chat though.

failedpoet:
Next year? I'm buying shots and or cookies for at least Graham, Yahtzee, MovieBob, Gavin, and Susan. At the LEAST.

Hey, cookies are MY thing! Don't go stealing my turf man. :P Seriously though, I made a lot of cookies and gave them to a lot of people. I'm glad that I think I only ended up with 3 cookies, and that was because I got tired of carrying them around everywhere. >_> I'd welcome someone else bringing some though. Hope I remember to do so next year.

Aeryn Seoung:

MiracleOfSound:

Aeryn Seoung:

Then please, do tell me all the intimate details about the general setup in your recording studio, as well as any hardware and software you typically use. :3

Cubase 6 - main program for recording/mixing

Kontakt 5
Ableton Live

Gibson Les Paul guitar
Fender Jazz bass

Orange Tiny Terror amp

RODE NT1000 vocal mic
Shure SM57
Shure SM58 (guitars etc)

KORG Nanokey

2 Tapco monitors
Yamaha Audiogram 6 soundcard

That pretty much covers it!

I regret that the conference was held over there in the colonies and not here, in the motherland.

*sips tea and all that*

MiracleOfSound:

That pretty much covers it!

I do beleive I just squeed over your Rode. It's such a nice condenser mic! Although, another question.. I've heard that typically people use the SM57 for recording electric guitars, and not the SM58 (as it's typically used as a general 'lol vocals' microphone.) I know there isn't that much of a differance between the two mics when you go look at them on a specification level, but what is the distinct differance between the two that you have found in recording Miracle of Sound?

(I feel like I'm geeking over you, I'm sorry. ._.)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here