Questions Thread

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I know it is a bit early to be asking questions, but I just purchased my badge and already had one so I figured I'd start a generic questions thread.

Last year badges ended up being mailed out, but there was no option to have a separate shipping address from your billing address when ordering the badge. Will there be an option for this later or in profiles? My billing address is different from my home address, and I know some people prefer to have PO Boxes or to ship to their job.

I just purchased two passes for myself and significant other. Haven't yet gotten the voucher that I've seen mentioned in the FAQ, and in my profile page on the expo site, it lists me as registered for a bunch of 2012 events happening. Strange to say the least.

Midniqht:
I just purchased two passes for myself and significant other. Haven't yet gotten the voucher that I've seen mentioned in the FAQ, and in my profile page on the expo site, it lists me as registered for a bunch of 2012 events happening. Strange to say the least.

Under "My order history" there should be something along the lines of "payment received". That's all the confirmation I've been able to find for the moment.

ccesarano:
I know it is a bit early to be asking questions, but I just purchased my badge and already had one so I figured I'd start a generic questions thread.

Last year badges ended up being mailed out, but there was no option to have a separate shipping address from your billing address when ordering the badge. Will there be an option for this later or in profiles? My billing address is different from my home address, and I know some people prefer to have PO Boxes or to ship to their job.

From the FAQ:
"In the coming weeks you will be asked to provide name and address information for each registration that you've paid for. This will ensure that each pass makes it to the appropriate attendee before the show."

I guess that means you can set separate addresses.

Ah, probably should have checked the FAQ. Thanks for informing me!

ccesarano:
Ah, probably should have checked the FAQ. Thanks for informing me!

You're welcome, I like showing off my superior knowledge helping out.

Any VIP options this year?

Something Witty:
Any VIP options this year?

Nothing similar to last year (as far as I can find), VIPs will probably only be actual VIPs.

Probably just as well about the VIP thing, I don't think that turned out quite how they'd hoped last time.

There isn't much on the site yet as far as what all is going on; is humans vs. zombies or laser tag returning this year?

Yeah I have a question: why is this expo the same weekend as SIEGE?

Cory Buckley:
Yeah I have a question: why is this expo the same weekend as SIEGE?

Did you sign up just to post that [complaint]? It's all about planning. My bet is that the date for this was set well in advance of it actually being announced, let alone before whatever SIEGE is. Not like they're going to change it for you.

I work in the event planning industry - trust me... dates are planned out so far in advance, it'd make your head spin.

D: Is there anyway in the future this event might move a little more midwesterly (that's right, I just said midwesterly). I live in Omaha,and even now, 5 months out, plane tickets to Raleigh are roughly $400 which is slightly out of my budget, and an 18 hour drive is kind of far for a convention, even one such as this.

Jake Dolezal:
D: Is there anyway in the future this event might move a little more midwesterly (that's right, I just said midwesterly). I live in Omaha,and even now, 5 months out, plane tickets to Raleigh are roughly $400 which is slightly out of my budget, and an 18 hour drive is kind of far for a convention, even one such as this.

Though it's not impossible, I wouldn't count on it. Durham is the Escapists hometown. I can imagine it having to move (to Raleigh) if it outgrows Durham. And if it grows very big (wishful thinking for the moment) there might even be a second one (like PAX).

Is there any info about being an exhibitor for the Expo?

AngelSword:

From the registration page on the Expo site

Sponsors & Exhibitors

If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or exhibiting at Expo in the future, please contact our sales department:

Newton Grant 919.354.0949 [newton[at]escapistexpo.com]

Eleuthera:

AngelSword:

From the registration page on the Expo site

Sponsors & Exhibitors

If you are interested in becoming a sponsor or exhibiting at Expo in the future, please contact our sales department:

Newton Grant 919.354.0949 [newton[at]escapistexpo.com]

Ah. I was looking for a dedicated "Exhibitors" page. This explains why I couldn't find it.

Thanks

Confused on why there is no negotiated room rate for the Downtown Marriott this year?
Was there some problem that the hotel does not want our business ?

The Downtown Marriott is Attached to the convention center? I could be wrong on this.. Google maps is not being helpful telling me where both properties end and begin?

Both advertised hotels are Very far away from the convention center & the Shuttle shuts off at 10:00PM.... ($36.00 dollars for transit that could leave me stranded when it stops at 10:00PM an hour's walk away)
Can't seem to find Bus service) ( help ?)
Will the MOS concert be over by nine?
Does the Whole convention shut at 9:00 -9:30 like the main exhibition hall of last year's con?

This is not a complaint - I am genuinely confused and looking for answers since the set up so different from last year?

I'd like to know if the Escapist can provide a list of good restaurants to eat at that's reasonably close to the Expo. When me and my brother went last year, all we could find was the McDonalds nearby to eat out at. If we'll be at the Expo for hours, be nice to go someplace nice to eat. Whether it be inexpensive or not.

Also, is there a good shawarma place in the Durham/Raleigh area? After me and my brother watched the Avengers, we joked that after the Expo, we'd try to find a shawarma place to eat at to celebrate a good time at the Expo. In fact, be funny if the Escapist made a video at some point showing clips of stuff that occurs at Escapist Expo '13, and at the very end of the webvideo is the Escapists eating shawarma as a parody of that last stinger after the credits in the Avengers.

Oh, and I got one more thought. Since MovieBob once made a Big Picture video during PAX East this year about places to visit at Boston, maybe the Escapist can make a video of places to visit in Durham/Raleigh during everyone's time in the city if they wish to do some sightseeing.

Saarai-fan:
I'd like to know if the Escapist can provide a list of good restaurants to eat at that's reasonably close to the Expo. When me and my brother went last year, all we could find was the McDonalds nearby to eat out at. If we'll be at the Expo for hours, be nice to go someplace nice to eat. Whether it be inexpensive or not.

Also, is there a good shawarma place in the Durham/Raleigh area? After me and my brother watched the Avengers, we joked that after the Expo, we'd try to find a shawarma place to eat at to celebrate a good time at the Expo. In fact, be funny if the Escapist made a video at some point showing clips of stuff that occurs at Escapist Expo '13, and at the very end of the webvideo is the Escapists eating shawarma as a parody of that last stinger after the credits in the Avengers.

Oh, and I got one more thought. Since MovieBob once made a Big Picture video during PAX East this year about places to visit at Boston, maybe the Escapist can make a video of places to visit in Durham/Raleigh during everyone's time in the city if they wish to do some sightseeing.

There's a list of restaurants within walking distance of the Expo on the Expo site (under the travel heading). Last year we ate at Tyler's a few times (at the ATC) and Bull McCabe's. We also tended to get coffee (and occasionally breakfast) at Blue Coffee Cafe, which is essentially across the street from the convention centre

Saarai-fan:
Also, is there a good shawarma place in the Durham/Raleigh area? After me and my brother watched the Avengers, we joked that after the Expo, we'd try to find a shawarma place to eat at to celebrate a good time at the Expo.

http://www.babaghannouj54.com/ is what you want. It's a local chain, and really tasty (even if the website is horrible). A couple of the locations have a lunch buffet as well!

Will there be HvZ this year?

verdestylo13:
Confused on why there is no negotiated room rate for the Downtown Marriott this year?
Was there some problem that the hotel does not want our business ?

The Downtown Marriott is Attached to the convention center? I could be wrong on this.. Google maps is not being helpful telling me where both properties end and begin?

Both advertised hotels are Very far away from the convention center & the Shuttle shuts off at 10:00PM.... ($36.00 dollars for transit that could leave me stranded when it stops at 10:00PM an hour's walk away)
Can't seem to find Bus service) ( help ?)
Will the MOS concert be over by nine?
Does the Whole convention shut at 9:00 -9:30 like the main exhibition hall of last year's con?

This is not a complaint - I am genuinely confused and looking for answers since the set up so different from last year?

Actually we do have a negotiated rate with the Marriott this year. They were just a bit slow in letting us have it. The block expires on September 2nd so book soon!

The Saturday Night Shindig will be starting and ending later this year, details to be released soon.

More on the hours of the show and programming soon. I promise it's better than last year though :)

William Costen:
Will there be HvZ this year?

You probably already saw this, but HvZ has just been announced to return this year.

Not crazy!
So I booked my room at the Marriott ages ago, but just recently saw that they were giving discounts to expo attendees. I can't seem to find where that was posted on the expo site, but assuming I'm not crazy, and there is indeed a discount:

How should I go about applying that discount?

Myan:

Actually we do have a negotiated rate with the Marriott this year. They were just a bit slow in letting us have it. The block expires on September 2nd so book soon!

The Saturday Night Shindig will be starting and ending later this year, details to be released soon.

More on the hours of the show and programming soon. I promise it's better than last year though :)

Hi,

I joined Escapist after hearing about the Expo on Weekend Confirmed. I'm considering attending, as I love video games, and games of all sorts, and because I live in nearby Chapel Hill, NC.

I guess I just don't know what to expect. I read the list of activities and everything, but I don't know, would someone give me some information on what happens at these expos? Is it kind of like a comic book convention?

Thanks for any input.

gonzagylot00:
Hi,

I joined Escapist after hearing about the Expo on Weekend Confirmed. I'm considering attending, as I love video games, and games of all sorts, and because I live in nearby Chapel Hill, NC.

I guess I just don't know what to expect. I read the list of activities and everything, but I don't know, would someone give me some information on what happens at these expos? Is it kind of like a comic book convention?

Thanks for any input.

It's somewhat like a comic book convention, but with a focus on (computer)games. There's a whole bunch of videos taken at last year's Expo here.

Short summary, there's panels (by some of the site's contributors), a cosplay competition, a concert by Miracle of sound, computer and tabletop games to play, stuff to buy, and a lot of other things I'm drawing a blank on at the moment.

I am trying to cancel my registration (financial concerns), but I can't seem to find any way to do it. Am I missing some obvious link?

Myan:

Why is the booking from the 2nd to the 6th when the Expo doesn't start until the 4th?

Volunteers and exhibitors will often get in Wednesday night allowing them to get up and put in a full setup day on Thursday so everything is ready to go for showtime. Additionally, many cons have exhibitor or fan run pre-show events (organized parties, community meetups, etc.) on Wed and Thurs night. Thus, convention blocks typically are extended forward from the actual convention.

Will there be a board game library at the expo like there was last year?

Saarai-fan:

Hey, It's Dan from No Right Answer! I love the idea of an EXPO video with the Escapist personalities eating Shawarma at the end in silence. I'll see if I can wrangle the peeps together for that! I'll bring my camera, and my love of meat!

Eleuthera:
[quote="Saarai-fan" post="547.403679.17123173"]I'd like to know if the Escapist can provide a list of good restaurants to eat at that's reasonably close to the Expo. When me and my brother went last year, all we could find was the McDonalds nearby to eat out at. If we'll be at the Expo for hours, be nice to go someplace nice to eat. Whether it be inexpensive or not.

The American Tobacco Campus has the aforementioned Tylers, which has pretty decent bar food & salads. There is also Cuban Revolution - moderately priced Cuban food, and The Mellow Mushroom - pizzas and sandwiches. Plus the campus itself is beautiful to walk through.

Pretty close around the corner from the convention center you will find Rue Cler, which is a French-style bistro. Try their beignets and crepes for breakfast/early lunch. Personally, I'd go to Monuts Donuts in the morning, though. Dos Perros has nice upscale Mexican creations and (from what I hear) a great Sunday brunch. A little upscale for arriving in your Gipsy Danger cosplay outfit, though.

If you don't mind a very short drive (or long and possibly scary walk) or have a local to guide you, 9th Street in Durham has a great strip of restaurants. From the comfort food of Elmo's Diner to the wonderful chicken nachos at Cosmic Cantina, you'll find good stuff on 9th -- even if it is filled with Duke fans ;-)

Hope that helps.

-tensider
local to the area

tensider:

Eleuthera:
[quote="Saarai-fan" post="547.403679.17123173"]I'd like to know if the Escapist can provide a list of good restaurants to eat at that's reasonably close to the Expo. When me and my brother went last year, all we could find was the McDonalds nearby to eat out at. If we'll be at the Expo for hours, be nice to go someplace nice to eat. Whether it be inexpensive or not.

The American Tobacco Campus has the aforementioned Tylers, which has pretty decent bar food & salads. There is also Cuban Revolution - moderately priced Cuban food, and The Mellow Mushroom - pizzas and sandwiches. Plus the campus itself is beautiful to walk through.

Pretty close around the corner from the convention center you will find Rue Cler, which is a French-style bistro. Try their beignets and crepes for breakfast/early lunch. Personally, I'd go to Monuts Donuts in the morning, though. Dos Perros has nice upscale Mexican creations and (from what I hear) a great Sunday brunch. A little upscale for arriving in your Gipsy Danger cosplay outfit, though.

If you don't mind a very short drive (or long and possibly scary walk) or have a local to guide you, 9th Street in Durham has a great strip of restaurants. From the comfort food of Elmo's Diner to the wonderful chicken nachos at Cosmic Cantina, you'll find good stuff on 9th -- even if it is filled with Duke fans ;-)

Hope that helps.

-tensider
local to the area

I think you meant to quote @Saarai-fan

Saarai-fan:

I'd also like to recommend Bull City Burger and Brewery for food. They have the best burgers in the area (maybe the world!!!!)
All fresh ingredients made on site.

Majikbean:
I'd also like to recommend Bull City Burger and Brewery for food. They have the best burgers in the area (maybe the world!!!!)
All fresh ingredients made on site.

I am in FULL agreement with this. I went to the Expo last year and my housemate and I hit this place up 2 of the 3 days we were there. Excellent beers too (microbrewery FTW!). :)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here