An Idea for an escapist expo 2013 panel: A discussion of Horror.

A discussion/debate of horror. With the focus being on dead space like games (jump scares and many monsters) vs amnesia like games (creeping horror and few not fightable monsters). with Jim Sterling representing dead space like games, and Yahtzee Crowshaw representing amnesia type games.

I like this idea, but I think we could also go into ideas for future games, and look at how survival horror has changed over time.

Could also discuss the target market for [survival] horror games. Example: Fatal Frame is (in my opinion) one of the best survival horror game series, and they stopped releasing them for America. WHY!?!?

"The importance of foreign countries to the industry"?

Hmm, that is quite an interesting idea. Reminds me of the debate between the movies Evil Dead (2013) and the original Evil Dead (1981).

Though many loved the original because of it's head figure Bruce Campbell and the creepy aspects within the original... many also are fond of the new, deeply serious and horrifying Evil Dead that just came out. I sure am, because it scared the living wits out of me.

Speaking of Dead Space, many criticized it for being mainly just a jump scaring game. Even though it could of tried to add more element to it, I would of much rather had that then what Dead Space became now. It is to action-y, with little to no horror revolving it. The story still is quite good, but it doesn't have that atmosphere like the first one did.

Still, the idea in the OP does sound nice if we could hear it from Jim and Yahtzee as they debate.

Midniqht:
I like this idea, but I think we could also go into ideas for future games, and look at how survival horror has changed over time.

Could also discuss the target market for [survival] horror games. Example: Fatal Frame is (in my opinion) one of the best survival horror game series, and they stopped releasing them for America. WHY!?!?

I fully support this! I would love to have movie bob there as well to talk about how horror / survival games compare to the movies. As a side note, Zombie U was awesome! It reminded me of when I played the original Resident Evil for the first time. It is a proper survival horror game!

And as a side side note:
I would love love love to see a panel on game localization! It is a little appreciated business that is crucial to enjoying an imported title! Localization can make or break a game.

To clarify I chose Yahtzee for comments he has made in the past (for example http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/333-Dead-Space)

and Jim for his has made ( http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6461-Scare-Tactics or http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6773-Dead-Space-The-Best-New-IP-This-Generation)

But I am aware that Jim also likes the creeping horror games as well.

JohnHayne:
"The importance of foreign countries to the industry"?

I'd like to hear the panel's musings on this, but I'm not sure how far the discussion would go beyond: "We'd like to see it happen. Can someone make it happen?". I won't be at the Expo myself, so would humbly request that someone ask this question if the opportunity arises; during a section that's being filmed, so I can sit with my vicarious appreciation.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here