Interested in an evening of drinking with other like minded individuals?
Yes
96.8% (30)
96.8% (30)
No
3.2% (1)
3.2% (1)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Escapist Expo 2013 pre expo pub crawl

Greetings everyone!
After attending last year's con and seeing just how awesome it was I wanted to get involved more in the escapist community. What better way to do that than over a few beers?!
Since this year the expo is in October and the weather will likely be nice, I think it would be the perfect opportunity for a pre-expo pub crawl!

Really at this stage, since it is still early, I am just trying to see if there would be any interest in this sort of thing. The actual crawl would likely be the Thursday evening before the expo. The crawl would stay in the downtown Durham area and we would hit like 4 bars through out the night.
Another idea I was tossing around was having some kind of theme for the crawl. We could turn the whole thing into a zombie walk (it will be close to Halloween after all ) or something like that.

So if you are planning to attend the expo this year and a pub crawl sounds like a good way to spend the night before the expo, then please just respond to the poll.

I will get into the details of the crawl once there is enough interest in it.

Thanks for reading

I'll be there Thursday, and I'd like to go to a bar. Will think about the crawling bit.

As things stand at the moment me and some friends will be in town Wednesday evening late, so we might be up for hitting a bar (or several) Thursday evening.

It would highly depend on when I fly into town Thursday night. I'd definitely be open for Friday/Saturday, but Thursdays, I imagine, will be a stretch for some travelers.

All the more reason the con should be moved up here in Canada. If it's in Ontario, the drinking age is 19 and if it's Québec then it's 18! Bring the Expo the Canada!
And I'm only 18...

mitchell271:
Drink in ALL the Canadian Places!

I'll be 18 as well; I'll still tag along and drink some ginger ale or something

Someone needs to be designated driver!

PsychicTaco115:

mitchell271:

I am sure we will need some drunk people wranglers. :-)

Midniqht:
It would highly depend on when I fly into town Thursday night. I'd definitely be open for Friday/Saturday, but Thursdays, I imagine, will be a stretch for some travelers.

Yeah I understand many people will not be into town until Thursday night or Friday morning. I will still consider having he whole thing on Friday night, but then it will likely run against some of the actual Expo activities, and I really wanted to avoid that if possible. If it is on Thursday, it will likely not begin until 8 or 9 at night, so some travelers who are coming on Thursday evening and staying in downtown Durham could make it.
I am certainly still in the wait and see phase, and have not settled on any details yet. I won't do any actual planning until mid July probably.

Majikbean:

PsychicTaco115:

mitchell271:

I am sure we will need some drunk people wranglers. :-)

I can do that!

All I need is a taser for the more rowdy drunks and we'll be in business!

Interested in an evening of drinking with other like minded individuals?

Seriously, is that a question? Quit acting like I'm not drunk already.

This seems so awesome....
as did last years expo....
and just like then...
I won't be able to make it :,(
I'll just travel the bars in my city then and be mentally with you guys!

Because of this, I will try to insure my travel plans make this work. Scout's honor.

A little tardy to the party in replying. But I love this idea! Only problem is, I'm unsure what time we will be arriving Thursday night (we are leaving after work, and it's ~5 hour trip).

Regardless, I'd love to see how this plays out. Maybe we can make it in time!

I'm down. I missed the Expo last year, so I need to make up for it!

Count me in. It's just down the street anyway!

Hello all. Thanks for taking the time to respond to the thread! I am happy to see that there is some interest in this kind of thing. For those of you who are coming to town on Thursday, I would imagine the pub crawl would start somewhere between 7 and 9 at night. Of course, nothing is set in stone yet. If it ends up that you are arriving near the start time, don't worry. If you still want to participate you will be able to meet up with the crawl after it begins. I intend to have the entire crawl mapped out and posted on these forums, so everyone knows where we are going beforehand and can catch up with us if need be!

I booked my hotel starting Thursday and will bring my best (and only) kilt.
It gives me +5 to Alcohol consumption, as does all kilts.

Now that I have my pass ordered and I am fully planning on making it this year. I will be happy to join the lot of you going out to drink. Just look for the guy wearing the t-shirt of my avatar since I will be making one, very soon.

Eleuthera:
As things stand at the moment me and some friends will be in town Wednesday evening late, so we might be up for hitting a bar (or several) Thursday evening.

Last year volunteering went on late remember. It depends on when we get finished at the offices this year.

TimeLord:

Eleuthera:

Last year volunteering went on late remember. It depends on when we get finished at the offices this year.

Oh, sure. But on the other hand we'll also be staying downtown this year. So it's a lot easier to go out for a few drinks and walk back to the hotel once we feel like sleeping (more then usually...)

So, I would want to do this, my only thing that I would wonder about is how I'd recognize fellow escapists apart from the common barfolk. Wouldn't want to walk up to a random group and be all like "Heeeeeeeyyy..." and have them walk off like I'm crazier than I already am.

I really want to make it this year!

Somnambulistic:
So, I would want to do this, my only thing that I would wonder about is how I'd recognize fellow escapists apart from the common barfolk. Wouldn't want to walk up to a random group and be all like "Heeeeeeeyyy..." and have them walk off like I'm crazier than I already am.

I'm sure we'll come up with some way to recognise each other, nearer to the event. At the very least we might pick an easy location to start from.

Somnambulistic:

I intend to plan the event so that there will be sign up on these forums before the event, so that I know about how many people will be coming. Also, like Eleuthera said, we will all meet up at the first bar on the crawl and take it from there.

I'll will be posting a fully detailed list of the bars we will visit nearer to the event.

Also, also: I am still not abandoning the idea of maybe doing a theme crawl that the participants can dress up for if they choose. Something nerdy, or video game themed would be great. Personally I think a zombie walk/pub crawl would fit well since the Expo is in October!

If I have any energy left after setup on Thursday, I'd be happy to attend the pub crawl!

The_Q:
If I have any energy left after setup on Thursday, I'd be happy to attend the pub crawl!

Same here, I'm really looking forward to meeting as many people as I can from the community! :)

Side note: I think 23 people sounds like plenty of interest to me. ;-)

Let's do this thing!

Obviously we don't have to use this to find local bars. I just thought the site was hilarious.
WHERE THE FUCK SHOULD I GO FOR DRINKS?

Just a friendly bump so everyone doesn't think this thread is dead. I am certainly intending for this pub crawl to happen.
In July and August I plan on visiting several bars near the expo and speaking with the management to gauge their interest in hosting our event. As I said before (at least I think I said it before, I was probably drunk at the time) during this crawl we will visit either 3 or 4 pubs. After I have the bars finalized I will post it in this thread along with other information concerning the pub crawl.

I am really looking onward to the expo and meeting many of you over a pint!

~M~

That's a great idea, Majikbean, Dastardly and I are in!

Hello again everyone.
I can't believe how close, yet so far away, the expo is! In just days, myself, accompanied by a close personal friend and bar fly, will begin selecting the pubs that all of us will be visiting during (what I like to think of as) The FIRST ANNUAL Pre Escapist Expo Pub Crawl!!!
The plan is to get three or four bars on board with us and create a kick ass night for expo attendees that want something badass to do the Thursday night before the expo!
I know it has been a long time talked about, but this pub crawl is going to happen, and with all of you it will be great!
I hope you all are as excited as I am! If you are just reading this thread for the first time let me know you are interested by clicking yes on the poll at the top of the page!

Until next time,

~Majik~

Well 6 weeks to go, thought I help out the thread with a bump and ask where are we going to meet at?
We might want to establish some sort of bar hopping route, so those who can not be on time can join up later.

I'm afraid I won't be attending (neither the pubcrawl nor the Expo proper), have a fun evening and have a few one me ;)

sl0th:
Well 6 weeks to go, thought I help out the thread with a bump and ask where are we going to meet at?
We might want to establish some sort of bar hopping route, so those who can not be on time can join up later.

An excellent idea! Sadly I don't know downtown Durham well enough to suggest a starting route. I'd suggest the starting point to be Tyler's though. Thoughts?

Okay so a bit of good news and a bit of bad news....First the good news. The pub crawl will still be happening, the bad news is that it is no longer going to be a pub crawl. Instead it will be more of a meet and greet event at one bar. My intentions were to create an event that extended the expo festivities into Thursday evening. I wanted for attendees to be able to relax, meet each other, drink, and play games! As much as I love a good pub crawl, I thought the evening would be more relaxed if we kept the event at just one location. This also creates an event that people can easily join later on into the evening with out much trouble! I sincerely hope that you will all still come out to the event, I think it will be incredibly fun.

So, now that I have the details set I an opening up another thread that will contain all the details, sign up information, discussion. Pleas direct all further event discussion to the new thread.

If anyone has any questions for me please just PM me!

See you all at the Expo!!

UPDATE:
Just added the info and sign up thread!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook