Expo Survivor: Reports From the Hot Zone

The morning dawned somewhat bright, somewhat early and more than somewhat warm and humid in Durham, North Carolina, but your fellow Escapists who made the trek to attend the Escapist Expo 2013 were undaunted! Many stood in the sweltering heat for hours in the cool, air-conditioned room for minutes to pick up their Expo badges.

Be sure to open pictures separately- the size doesn't play well with the forum borders.)

Once more, the sleepy little burg of Durham became a battleground in the never-ending war between the living and the undead!

We explored the new craze that's sweeping the nation: Lazer Death Karaoke 3000!

Panels! You know I love 'em. The first one I sat in on was about how to create an online cult, something that every modern person should know about!

The panels were popular! Lines were long, and for some reason went up stairs.

The Escapist Q&A! Questions were asked! And destroyed! BY ANSWERS!

And then what everyone was waiting for... the Hour of Love.

Neko ears attacked! Our brave, heroic Jim bravely and heroically sacrificed himself to save us all... only for the experience to reveal his inner Cenobyte.

And now here's a bunch of pictures that I can't really be bothered to caption with humorous quips because my pizza is getting cold.

Day 2 of the Expo! We've captured the uptown area and driven out the rebels. Soon this city will be claimed for the Escapist Empire!

...wait, sorry, that speech is for next week. Here's some pictures and video instead.

Firstly, a video I forgot to add before: Dr. Mark going phiolsophical with us and reciting a haiku.

Many media luminaries stopped by to partake of the festivities.

A certain famous taco made an appearance! Once more I was able to capture his image undetected.

Visitors from the world of Rule 63 also stopped by.

Union rules require me to take at least one picture of Paul doing a thumbs-up at each Expo.

Even sworn enemies laid down their arms to enjoy themselves.

And let's not forget panels! MovieBob's quiz show was awesome.

A second Escapist Q&A!

Once more the battle between Humans and Zombies raged.

Her costume lights up and plays sounds. That is more dedication than I will ever have.

And here's some pictures that I'm not going to caption because it is one in the goddamn morning. (Seriously, I'm 37. That's, like, 4:30 young-people time.)

And last, and most CERTAINLY not least, because I love you all so very much (except for you over there; you're kind of a jerk) you guys get a sneak (shaky-cam) preview of some of Gavin Dunne's music. (As soon as YouTube processes it.)

Day 3. Everything's winding down; hangovers are being nursed, lost sleep is being lamented, and four-dollar chicken wraps are being digested. But we're not quite done yet! There's still a few panels, and gosh darn if we're not gonna see at least some of them... specifically, the Escapist Podcat and the final Q&A session. (Spoiler: Jim was the final boss.)

Speaking of pixies:

I spotted our quiet, unobtrusive Dr. Mark having an animated conversation with a staffer.

Humans (and zombies) weren't the only attendees! Characters of other species also came out on our last day.

Neon Ice-cream Battle 5000 continued to be a popular pasttime.

This picture was taken for only completely wholesome reasons.

And, just before leaving, there's enough time to grab pictures of a few of the stars of the show close-up.

And just because I can, here's a few more pictures.

It's been a fun time! (Though, note to myself: Bring rechargable batteries next time, because hotel shop batteries are expensive as balls.) Huge thanks to the Escapist personalities and staff, and all the volunteers who gave up their time to make things better for the rest of us.

I want to give photog credit when I share my picture - twitter name?

What magic allowed you to get that close? O_O

And I wish you had told me, I wanted to meet more Forum Users!

So when are the official Escapist videos of the panels going to be uploaded for those who couldn't attend or watch live online?

Nice pics and coverage from your end, however.

rig0r_m0rtis:
I want to give photog credit when I share my picture - twitter name?

I haven't got Twitter. If you'd like to share a photo in this post, feel free!

PsychicTaco115:
What magic allowed you to get that close? O_O

And I wish you had told me, I wanted to meet more Forum Users!

I keep telling people, I have that custom forum title there for a reason! Also, I'm not really interesting to talk to.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to add (and everyone who was at the Motorco knows what I'm on about.)

If their next album (or at least a song) isn't entitled cat food then I won't know what to do with myself... XD

Just posting to give props to you for doing this ^_^

The Rogue Wolf:

I spotted our quiet, unobtrusive Dr. Mark having an animated conversation with a staffer.

I feel slightly stalked. And I like it.

The Rogue Wolf:

A certain famous taco made an appearance! Once more I was able to capture his image undetected.

More impressively, you got me! D:

I wasn't even wearing the clown mask! You fool! What have you done? XD

T0ad 0f Truth:

The Rogue Wolf:

Is...is that Teoes in the background?

Barbas:

T0ad 0f Truth:

The Rogue Wolf:

Is...is that Teoes in the background?

I'm insulted. I'm way more handsome than that guy.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here