Battle Royale America

Battle Royale America

One of the best books I've read this year is Toushun Takami's Battle Royale.

Read Full Article

We already had American Battle Royale it was called the Hunger Games.

Joking aside, I would recommend Danganrompa. It's Battle Royale mixed with Ace Attorney.

First response mentions the Hunger Games...which I totally wasn't going to do.

Of course, the Hunger Games mostly political and dealing with haves and have nots and the roman Empire in general, not contemporary high schools in particular. I daresay there are oodles of YA fiction which deal with it, though, just not stuff many have heard about.

EDIT: Damn, forgot to say, the other thing I came to say was "Hey, Garwulf is still active, I thought he was going to stop."

While I think an American Battle Royale would be very interesting, I believe it would be a very different beast from the Japanese version. The original had a very strong undercurrent of horror to it, Japanese children have their lives revolve around their class for several years at a time. The sense of identity between classmates is usually stronger than in American culture. Giving weapons to American students and telling them to kill would end up closer to "Lord of Flies" really. The violence is more natural, more personal but it does lose some of the shock factor of the original.

Thaluikhain:
First response mentions the Hunger Games...which I totally wasn't going to do.

Of course, the Hunger Games mostly political and dealing with haves and have nots and the roman Empire in general, not contemporary high schools in particular. I daresay there are oodles of YA fiction which deal with it, though, just not stuff many have heard about.

Yeah, the comparison to Hunger Games is really tenuous, once you get past the 'kids killing each other' part. The people in HG know exactly what's happening and why, and many of them deliberately train for and enter the competition to win fabulous rewards, a competition that is broadcast to and influenced by the population at large. BR takes an entirely normal class, tells them they are in a nightmare, and murders one of them (who the others have known for years) to prove their point. It's much more about the personal scale and the breakdown of their society and cultural taboos, rather than the macro questions of why it's happening and how to stop it.

EDIT: Damn, forgot to say, the other thing I came to say was "Hey, Garwulf is still active, I thought he was going to stop."

He said he was going to finish out his last few columns, and if no angel investor came in then the column would go on hiatus again.

I have just made a brand new account for one exact specific thing. KOUSHUN. It's -KOUSHUN- Takami. I'm sorry, but that just bugged the hell out of me.

I bought the book because of this article so you'll always have that feather in your cap.

I saw the movie way back in the day but I thought the movie was based on the Manga, which I've never really been into. Finding out that it's based on a book peaked my interest so I gave it a buy and will give it a go.

tippy2k2:
I bought the book because of this article so you'll always have that feather in your cap.

I saw the movie way back in the day but I thought the movie was based on the Manga, which I've never really been into. Finding out that it's based on a book peaked my interest so I gave it a buy and will give it a go.

I've seen/read all the versions of Battle Royale, and honestly I liked the manga the most. I loved the movie when I first saw it, but after reading both the manga and the book its problem becomes glaring: it doesn't have time to let you get to know the characters. Movie makes the characters a lot simpler, painting the key characters as just good or evil. The manga (and the book too, but since I didn't like it as much I'll stick to the manga) allowed the characters to be a lot more complex, plus it had the time to let you get to know the characters which made many of their inevitable deaths a lot more impactful.

Still, the book is worth a read, just saying that the manga is definitely the best version. At least in my opinion.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here