Zero Punctuation: Pyre

Pyre

This week, Yahtzee reviews Pyre

Watch Video

Throwing a new game on the funeral pyre, I see. :P

Well at least I feel somewhat validated in my lonely gamble to getting Pyre. There's not really anyone I know who seems interested in it.

Those matches were the only place to hear that wonderful commentator snarking away with those rolling 'r's that mildly arouse my ears. And mayhaps that easy difficulty setting choice betrayed the usefulness of the upgrades because the opposing teams start improving themselves too and every little helps at that point. Some matches got pretty intense at times in a good way. Also the way the upgrades relate directly to the character's personality I thought were nicely executed. That is all.

Man, I played the heck outta Bastion and Transistor is one of my favourite games, but this one felt like they went a bit overboard with the artsyness ever since it was announced. And nothing I've seen/heard/read really compels me to hop right in ASAP. :(

I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember the majority of Dragon Age 1 party members being very mortal and/or miss-able (can't speak to the other 2 games).
Not even counting the end of the game possibilities:
Leliana can be told to bugger off, or be killed when you defile a religious artifact
Wynne can be killed as soon as you meet her, or killed when you defile said religious artifact above
Sten can be left to die in the standard doomed cozy village rest-stop, or told to bugger off at any time
Alistar can bugger off if you don't pick him to be your pretty prettiest princess, or wind up executed
The Dog can die if you don't find the medicine for it in the wilds
Morrigan leaves if you decline to have sex with her/fail to convince someone else to have sex with her.
Zevran can be killed at numerous points in the scene you meet him, and can potentially betray you later
Shale you can just opt to not find, and will betray you under certain circumstances
[Mystery Party Member] can, like many of the above, be killed as soon as you meet him

The only people guaranteed to be with you up to the end iirc are Ogryn[Who refuses to leave even if you tell him to bugger off], and [mystery member or Alistar]

Always nice to see Yahtzee actually enjoy a game.

*squints* Did Yahtzee use a picture of Pepper as a stand-in for the dog character?

Oddly enough if I trained them up and got to know them, I'm picking them LAST to release into the wild I MEAN set free. I'll send off random guy I just met to be free, go slam somewhere else me and Donovan have got 3 pointers to do for eternity.

Strange to hear Yahtzee say he likes a game, but still funny. I mean, visual novels, who would have thought?

MoltenSilver:
I might be remembering wrong, but I seem to remember the majority of Dragon Age 1 party members being very mortal and/or miss-able (can't speak to the other 2 games).
Not even counting the end of the game possibilities:
Leliana can be told to bugger off, or be killed when you defile a religious artifact
Wynne can be killed as soon as you meet her, or killed when you defile said religious artifact above
Sten can be left to die in the standard doomed cozy village rest-stop, or told to bugger off at any time
Alistar can bugger off if you don't pick him to be your pretty prettiest princess, or wind up executed
The Dog can die if you don't find the medicine for it in the wilds
Morrigan leaves if you decline to have sex with her/fail to convince someone else to have sex with her.
Zevran can be killed at numerous points in the scene you meet him, and can potentially betray you later
Shale you can just opt to not find, and will betray you under certain circumstances
[Mystery Party Member] can, like many of the above, be killed as soon as you meet him

The only people guaranteed to be with you up to the end iirc are Ogryn[Who refuses to leave even if you tell him to bugger off], and [mystery member or Alistar]

Not having played any Dragon Age game, I hesitate to ask what you mean by "defile a religious artifact".

Darth_Payn:

Not having played any Dragon Age game, I hesitate to ask what you mean by "defile a religious artifact".

You pour dragon blood on some sacred ashes on behalf a crazy cult, snort them like coke and gain awesome powers some consider to be...

...unnatural.

'Kiss me on the boobs'
If that's not Andromeda's writing perfectly, then my face is tired.

Since it isn't being displayed on the homepage here is the ZP picture for this review

http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1421/1421466.jpg

edit - wasn't up at the time

So would this be the logical conclusion to that one poem you once wrote for Rymedown Spectacular?

Ah, the ol' Valkyrie Profile dilemma, now in basketball visual novel form

Supergiant games never really appealed to me much, I loathe anything to do with sports so i'm avoiding this one like the plague.

The front page has 3 ZP videos on the bar.
Slow fortnight guys?

Xsjadoblayde:
Well at least I feel somewhat validated in my lonely gamble to getting Pyre. There's not really anyone I know who seems interested in it.

Those matches were the only place to hear that wonderful commentator snarking away with those rolling 'r's that mildly arouse my ears. And mayhaps that easy difficulty setting choice betrayed the usefulness of the upgrades because the opposing teams start improving themselves too and every little helps at that point. Some matches got pretty intense at times in a good way. Also the way the upgrades relate directly to the character's personality I thought were nicely executed. That is all.

I got it. But I'm with Yahtzee but for difference reasons. I liked it but not loved it. I don't even think the music was as good or meaningful this time.

Yahtzee reviewed a game called Pyre.
His comments did not start a fire.
I guess it didn't cause him ire.
Yes, I know this ditty ain't inspired.

Yahtzee likes being in a box because its warm and safe. Its confirmed, Yahtzee is a cat.

I think there's 2 very specific reasons the "basketball" gameplay didn't resonate with Yahtz:
1) It's all about "Zoning" while he enjoys neither Fighters nor RealTimeStrategy ...
2) From gameplay I saw on letsplays ... the A.I. just isn't quite robust enough to stop most "Cheezy" player exploits from anyone experienced in programming

Supergiant Games is one of the few companies that has built enough of a track record with me that I'm prepared to buy whatever shit they peddle whether or not the reviews are good (Until I get burned at least). Yahtzee liking it might just be enough to get me to buy it before it goes on sale though

Its not often a zp review makes me want to buy a game...

Not sure why he chose a 1980's Kevin Keegan. But then why not.

Catfood220:
Yahtzee likes being in a box because its warm and safe. Its confirmed, Yahtzee is a cat.

Yet he loves talking dogs and dislikes talking cartoon cats. Seems like a subconscious desire to always feel like the only smart guy in the room.

gillnavisingh:
Slow fortnight guys?

If you see the weekly schedule on the bottom of the front page you will see the perfect example of the current state the site is in.

Honestly it feels so barren these days. then again the site is so old that its a wonder it kept alive till now.

Artorius:

gillnavisingh:
Slow fortnight guys?

If you see the weekly schedule on the bottom of the front page you will see the perfect example of the current state the site is in.

Honestly it feels so barren these days. then again the site is so old that its a wonder it kept alive till now.

At least the escapist is being honest about it now. For a while they had features on there that had left the site months before, either because they were trying to fool people into thinking the site was more active then it was, or they didn't care enough to fix it.

Do visual novels calling themselves a game actually make money when people can "play" them for free on YouTube?

Catfood220:

No, he hate cats, because cats are always trying to steal his box

..and squeaky mouse toy

You know, I think dantes inferno probably has mini golf in it already.
I mean, it is set in hell.

Thanks for the tip about turning the difficulty down. I didn't like the gameplay. I did get a rush from it, but it was from stress, rather than enjoyment.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here