Which My Little Pony Would be Your Bestie?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Smithnikov:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

I desperately need to know how MLP is related to right wing politics. I've never watched an episode of it so maybe I missed something.

I'll have to root about for it, it's been a couple of months, but basically, MLP promotes nationalism, is pro traditional marriage and religion, anti-immigration, and is anti LGBT.

Worgen:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Smithnikov:
Nothing stupid about it.

And it wasn't from Tumblr.

I desperately need to know how MLP is related to right wing politics. I've never watched an episode of it so maybe I missed something.

Don't listen to him. He was talking to some right wing brony (which still sounds like a joke) and decided that was how things were. I don't think hes actually watched the show, he just decided it was right wing because of what someone on twitter said.

Essentually his points are it promotes nationalism for reasons that make no sense, it promotes traditional marriage since it doesn't have two female characters make out, anti-immigration because the changelings were trying to devour love and the ponies fought against them, and is anti-lgbt because of the pro traditional marriage thing. I don't even remember what he said about religion before or if that was one of his points then.

Guys, I need a link where someone explains this. Right now one of you is saying "it is" and the other is saying "it isn't" without backing it up.

I'm very doubtful though. The whole thing stinks of a tumblr-tier conspiracy.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

This may or may not be the same guy, but here.

http://mynationalistpony.tumblr.com/

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Smithnikov:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

I'll have to root about for it, it's been a couple of months, but basically, MLP promotes nationalism, is pro traditional marriage and religion, anti-immigration, and is anti LGBT.

Worgen:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Don't listen to him. He was talking to some right wing brony (which still sounds like a joke) and decided that was how things were. I don't think hes actually watched the show, he just decided it was right wing because of what someone on twitter said.

Essentually his points are it promotes nationalism for reasons that make no sense, it promotes traditional marriage since it doesn't have two female characters make out, anti-immigration because the changelings were trying to devour love and the ponies fought against them, and is anti-lgbt because of the pro traditional marriage thing. I don't even remember what he said about religion before or if that was one of his points then.

Guys, I need a link where someone explains this. Right now one of you is saying "it is" and the other is saying "it isn't" without backing it up.

I'm very doubtful though. The whole thing stinks of a tumblr-tier conspiracy.

My guess on where this comes from is all down to the Villain Starlight Glimmer who's shtick was equality for all and her way of achieving it was to remove what was special about each character so everyone was the same. It was kind of a creepy Stepford Wives type deal. While I wouldn't call it Right Wing, it could be considered anti-radical left.

The label is stupid though, it's like using the Flim Flam Brothers episode to declare MLP:FIM a left wing show because it shows a negative side to capitalism.

Smithnikov:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Ugh dude, I don't think that's serious and if it is then the person that wrote it is clearly a crazy person. You might not want to take anything in it as gospel.

Worgen:

Smithnikov:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

Ugh dude, I don't think that's serious and if it is then the person that wrote it is clearly a crazy person. You might not want to take anything in it as gospel.

There are people who take Time Cube seriously. Hell, there's that wierd theory that posits History as we know it is just a lie made up in the middle ages(Which is strangely popular in Russia). Knowing that, this doesn't surprise me at all. Though I honestly wonder why people read so much into a show with magical talking ponies.

Smithnikov:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

One guy looking deep into a childrens cartoon to find some hidden agenda which coincidentally is fighting for what he personally think society should look like on its own isn't really much evidence dude... I mean, there are people who argue that The Witcher has a nationalist agenda, people who argue that other childrens cartoons have some multicultural one, blabla... This is one crazy guys Tumblr. I read a few entries. Admittedly I've not watched the show (apart from youtube clips) but it just doesn't look like much more than someone who thinks he alone has understood what the writers have been trying to subtly convey - but has he really? Probably not.

...And besides that, the entries I read were really confused. He made references to how much the show favored individuality multiple times. First, this is a kids show: you give kids confidence by telling them to accept and like themselves. Second, I could just as easily waste my time by making a blog arguing MLP is a leftist show for this very reason as well - both the left and the right wing claim their systems are the only ones in which one can be truly individual. The right because how can you be free when you're being crushed by so many laws and taxes, the left because how can you be free if you're still caught in the ever present, all important class war? This idea that the left is opposed to individuality is a new development, a conclusion the world makes when it looks at people who take gender studies classes, or the Antifa, or - forgive me - slightly hysterical individuals who worry about cartoon horses being right wing propaganda.

Or respect for property. This show is clearly laying the groundwork for ownership of people aka slavery to be made acceptable again. Except its fucking not, its just telling children not to steal each others toys and asking to play with them instead.

Sorry but I can't buy it. That Tumblr is just a troll right? And you're trolling me right? Well, you got me.

Dalisclock:

Worgen:

Smithnikov:

There are people who take Time Cube seriously. Hell, there's that wierd theory that posits History as we know it is just a lie made up in the middle ages(Which is strangely popular in Russia). Knowing that, this doesn't surprise me at all. Though I honestly wonder why people read so much into a show with magical talking ponies.

There is a theory that nothing after last Thursday ever happened. I mean can you conclusively prove that anything after last Thursday happened? Can you be 100% sure that anything that seems like it took place after last Thursday wasn't planted to make you think there was a time before last Thursday. You can have a theory about anything, it doesn't make you any less a crazy person.

But the reason that people can read so much into My Little Pony is that the show is actually really deep and its different. Its got some very good characters who have plenty under the surface for analysis. Plus the world is different than the real world. Most western tv takes place in what is essentially the real world. MLP at least had a lot of room for fan interpretation and worlds.

Worgen:

Dalisclock:

Worgen:

There is a theory that nothing after last Thursday ever happened. I mean can you conclusively prove that anything after last Thursday happened? Can you be 100% sure that anything that seems like it took place after last Thursday wasn't planted to make you think there was a time before last Thursday. You can have a theory about anything, it doesn't make you any less a crazy person.

But the reason that people can read so much into My Little Pony is that the show is actually really deep and its different. Its got some very good characters who have plenty under the surface for analysis. Plus the world is different than the real world. Most western tv takes place in what is essentially the real world. MLP at least had a lot of room for fan interpretation and worlds.

I'll admit most of my enjoyment is from the world building, the characters and plots are above average kids show faire (twilight sparkle is still best pony, fight me), but the sort of fantasy industrial revolution setting That avoids the standard fantasy humans and elves is probably the main draw and why I still watch the new seasons.

As for that website, isn't that the guy that thinks the Starlight Glimmer two parter was some kind clever condemnation of Communism? I remember it was a painfully stretched article that ignored most of the actual message of the episodes in favor of reading in to subtext and allegory, and had some weird interpretation of Communism that apparently Communism means you can't do anything you like and the government assigns you your role which even the Stalinist USSR didn't really practice outside the lowest levels of labor. I am almost curious what that guy thinks about the diplomacy episodes from the last two seasons where the characters go out of their way to be culturally sensitive to foreign leaders or the Changeling redemption two parter, I bet his logical leaps over the yak episode are delightfully bizarre.

Edit: holy shit, I just realized this Tumblr is basically what Eternalnothingness would have been if he was obsessed with MLP and warped right wing politics, rather than just MLP, DBZ, and a warped view of teamwork.

EternallyBored:

Worgen:

Dalisclock:

I'll admit most of my enjoyment is from the world building, the characters and plots are above average kids show faire (twilight sparkle is still best pony, fight me), but the sort of fantasy industrial revolution setting That avoids the standard fantasy humans and elves is probably the main draw and why I still watch the new seasons.

As for that website, isn't that the guy that thinks the Starlight Glimmer two parter was some kind clever condemnation of Communism? I remember it was a painfully stretched article that ignored most of the actual message of the episodes in favor of reading in to subtext and allegory, and had some weird interpretation of Communism that apparently Communism means you can't do anything you like and the government assigns you your role which even the Stalinist USSR didn't really practice outside the lowest levels of labor. I am almost curious what that guy thinks about the diplomacy episodes from the last two seasons where the characters go out of their way to be culturally sensitive to foreign leaders or the Changeling redemption two parter, I bet his logical leaps over the yak episode are delightfully bizarre.

Edit: holy shit, I just realized this Tumblr is basically what Eternalnothingness would have been if he was obsessed with MLP and warped right wing politics, rather than just MLP, DBZ, and a warped view of teamwork.

Oh no way, Rarity is totally best horse.

Yeah, that guy is a total crazy person. The Glimmer two parter is clearly about how we don't all need to be the same, how realizing and embracing our differences and working together makes us stronger as a whole. Not sure how anyone could get a condemnation of communism from it.

Lol, yeah that sounds about right.

Fluttershy! Perfect.

I got AJ. That seems about right. I've only watched the first 2 seasons... I think. I needed something sweet after the first time I watched Magica Madoka and I was suitably cheered up when... The Halloween episode? Was that near the end of season 2. That's the last one I remember. Anyway AJ was cool, without being so worried about being cool like Dash. That seems a lot like my actual friends anyway.

Man, I got worst pony. I guess that's what I get for trying to live the honest life.

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

One guy looking deep into a childrens cartoon to find some hidden agenda which coincidentally is fighting for what he personally think society should look like on its own isn't really much evidence dude... I mean, there are people who argue that The Witcher has a nationalist agenda

Does it? How much research has he put into it?

Sorry but I can't buy it. That Tumblr is just a troll right? And you're trolling me right? Well, you got me.

Wellp, that's your call, but no, he's not a troll, and I'm not trolling you.

Smithnikov:

RiseOfTheWhiteWolf:

One guy looking deep into a childrens cartoon to find some hidden agenda which coincidentally is fighting for what he personally think society should look like on its own isn't really much evidence dude... I mean, there are people who argue that The Witcher has a nationalist agenda

Does it? How much research has he put into it?

Wellp, that's your call, but no, he's not a troll, and I'm not trolling you.

What makes you think this guy isn't trolling and is right if you haven't seen the show? And don't just say you were arguing with one other person on the internet that seemed to fit what he is saying.

Ukomba:
The label is stupid though, it's like using the Flim Flam Brothers episode to declare MLP:FIM a left wing show because it shows a negative side to capitalism.

That episode made no sense, everybody was an idiot in it. The Apples are struggling to meet demand for cider, then Flim and Flam show up with a way to make better tasting cider magnitudes faster. They make a ridiculously skewed offer at 75%-25% for them, Apples don't make a counter offer at all. Then the Apples agree to a competition for exclusive cider distribution rights for no reason even though Flim and Flam are going to have massive supply problems finding apples, as evidenced by the fact that the Apples are supplying all of the apples for the competition. Flim and Flam couldn't even find enough apples to compete, why are the Apple family even agreeing to this? They have nothing to gain! The Apples then predictably lose the contest against the superior production capabilities of machine and they... lose the farm? What?! They never agreed to bet the farm, the contest was for distribution rights! None of the Apples even dispute this, they just hand over the farm! Then Flim and Flam celebrate by handing out the cider they made after cutting quality control! They made more than enough for all of Ponyville, before they started mulching up entire trees, they should have served that!

I don't even know what the message is supposed to be here. Partnership with Flim and Flam would have solved every problem if they could have worked out a fair price. But instead The Apple family bet everything they have when there is nothing to gain, and Flim and Flam throw away their victory for no reason. It doesn't make any sense.

MLP was originally intended to sell plastic toys to 8 year old girls. As a sort of female equivalent to G.I. Joe.
What do you expect?

And what do you expect when obsessive nerds start to pour over every minute detail of a show intended for little girls?

You get the obsessive fanboys, the conspiracy nuts, the apologists, the hate mobs and finally the weirdos that sexualize everything and make it awkward for everyone else.

JenSeven:
MLP was originally intended to sell plastic toys to 8 year old girls. As a sort of female equivalent to G.I. Joe.
What do you expect?

And what do you expect when obsessive nerds start to pour over every minute detail of a show intended for little girls?

You get the obsessive fanboys, the conspiracy nuts, the apologists, the hate mobs and finally the weirdos that sexualize everything and make it awkward for everyone else.

To be fair, while MLP: FiM was aimed for young children (not just girls, but kids below 10 years old), the creator of the show is Lauren Faust, the animator behind Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and helped with movies like The Iron Giant & Cats Don't Dance. She's famous for making her work appealing to all ages, without either group feeling left out.

The reason so many people ended up loving MLP: FiM is because the show didn't treat it's audience like a bunch of 8 year olds. Instead, it had witty jokes, great animation, deep plots (well, not DEEP but meaningful) and very likable characters. There's a reason why it got so popular, despite no one would of considered getting into a show about little ponies in the past.

Even though as of now, I feel as though the show lost it's touch ... it's still pretty good, if you have nothing else to do. Also about the fanboys / theorists / ect, you get that with every fandom in literally everything. Game of Thrones? You have all of that. Dr. Who? You have that too. Steven Universe? Overwatch? Even Pokemon that's been running since forever? You have all of that as well. I don't get why it's a surprise to anyone that any game / show / movie / book that gets popular, you're going to get some bad apples in the mix. I guess MLP gets more notice is because the show is about little ponies, and everyone was taught only little girls were allowed to like ponies. But, that's just my guess on the subject.

Caramel Frappe:

JenSeven:
What do you expect?

To be fair, while MLP: FiM was aimed for young children (not just girls, but kids below 10 years old), the creator of the show is Lauren Faust, the animator behind Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and helped with movies like The Iron Giant & Cats Don't Dance. She's famous for making her work appealing to all ages, without either group feeling left out.

The reason so many people ended up loving MLP: FiM is because the show didn't treat it's audience like a bunch of 8 year olds. Instead, it had witty jokes, great animation, deep plots (well, not DEEP but meaningful) and very likable characters. There's a reason why it got so popular, despite no one would of considered getting into a show about little ponies in the past.

Even though as of now, I feel as though the show lost it's touch ... it's still pretty good, if you have nothing else to do. Also about the fanboys / theorists / ect, you get that with every fandom in literally everything. Game of Thrones? You have all of that. Dr. Who? You have that too. Steven Universe? Overwatch? Even Pokemon that's been running since forever? You have all of that as well. I don't get why it's a surprise to anyone that any game / show / movie / book that gets popular, you're going to get some bad apples in the mix. I guess MLP gets more notice is because the show is about little ponies, and everyone was taught only little girls were allowed to like ponies. But, that's just my guess on the subject.

Probably the main difference is, fans of those series are nowhere near as vocal as MLP fans. I know of all those fanbases and know that the fans love those series a lot, but they don't tend to be so present and vocal as MLP fans.
It seems like fans of the other things just like to quietly enjoy their shows and accept people not enjoying it. MLP fans seem to be quite the opposite of that. I think that is why the fanbase gets noticed a lot more and there is a MUCH bigger pushback against them, because it seems like they push the show into people that don't want to bother with it just as hard.

It might just be that bronies tend to congregate more in the nerd parts of the internet, as opposed to the others, and that might explain why I run into them SO much more than other fanbases.
But yeah, doesn't help that they are a LOT more vocal about it, making the experience of meeting them a LOT worse as well.

I mean, by comparison, just on this site, most of the other things you mentioned, discounting news items that involved them, maybe they have been on the front page once or twice. Ever since the whole Bronie thing happened here, MLP content must have been on the front page over 10 times (again, discounting actual news concerning it).

EDIT:
I mean, let's look at it from another side. What if I was staff here on The Escapist and for some reason I started making front page things about Freakazoid. A show you might not care about.
Just a lot of things about Freakazoid on the site. A GAMING website.
Or heck, let's go with something more relevant and recent.

Minions.

If I made a poll about "Which Minion would be your Bestie" and put it on the front page. And you'll see more Minions related things pop up in other places too. Not the kind of "Minions are awful" things you usually see here and there when someone brings it up, but stuff actively praising Minions.

How would you feel about that?
When your favorite GAMING NEWS site gets overrun by rampant Minions fans?
Minions that have barely anything to do with GAMING NEWS. And it gets pushed all over the place.

Let me ask you then, would that annoy you? To see that pop up all over the place?

JenSeven:
What do you expect?

What do we expect about what?

So just because its aimed at girls that means its bad?

Just like every fandom. In fact you can pretty much judge how popular something is based on the amount of sexualization of it. Kind of like how your trying to sexualize cats with your avatar.

Worgen:

JenSeven:
What do you expect?

Just like every fandom. In fact you can pretty much judge how popular something is based on the amount of sexualization of it. Kind of like how your trying to sexualize cats with your avatar.

Really now, you have sunk down to the level of trying to insult someone based on their avatar? Is that all you can do in response to what I said?

I mean, you are lucky already that you didn't get banned together with American Tanker. You had just as much fault in what happened because you kept fanning those flames. You were a bit more diplomatic about it and talked around it, but you still actively antagonized him.

But anyway, I was trying to have an intelligent conversation about this subject with Caramel Frappe, so do you have anything else too bring to this conversation except for veiled insults, if not, please leave us be to have a civil and intelligent discourse.

Thank you.

JenSeven:

Worgen:

JenSeven:
What do you expect?

Really now, you have sunk down to the level of trying to insult someone based on their avatar? Is that all you can do in response to what I said?

I mean, you are lucky already that you didn't get banned together with American Tanker. You had just as much fault in what happened because you kept fanning those flames. You were a bit more diplomatic about it and talked around it, but you still actively antagonized him.

But anyway, I was trying to have an intelligent conversation about this subject with Caramel Frappe, so do you have anything else too bring to this conversation except for veiled insults, if not, please leave us be to have a civil and intelligent discourse.

Thank you.

I'm not insulting you. I'm pointing out a double standard.

I didn't get banned because I didn't threaten anyone. He was much more at fault than I was. He came into a thread about something he apparently didn't like and was looking to start a fight, I just delivered. I mean you came into this thread looking for a fight too mr "...I hope it dies out again."

You probably should have had a reply in your message then since the post I responded too wasn't directly referencing another. Also, starting out your "intelligent conversation" with "And what do you expect when obsessive nerds start to pour over every minute detail of a show intended for little girls?

You get the obsessive fanboys, the conspiracy nuts, the apologists, the hate mobs and finally the weirdos that sexualize everything and make it awkward for everyone else."

Doesn't sound like you're starting out civil.

JenSeven:
I mean, by comparison, just on this site, most of the other things you mentioned, discounting news items that involved them, maybe they have been on the front page once or twice. Ever since the whole Bronie thing happened here, MLP content must have been on the front page over 10 times (again, discounting actual news concerning it).

Just to put this in perspective; the first episode of the current iteration of MLP first aired in October 2010. (The exact date was 10/10/10, which I assume they did deliberately).

It's been almost a full 7 years since then. For something to be frontpage'd 10 times in 7 years, well, that's actually an absolute minuscule drop in the bucket.

Well, I got Best Horse With Butterflies On Its ButtTM on my first try. I can happily get out of this warzone as fast as humanly possible...

wow this place really fell into the you-know-what while I was gone. You must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel to be running quizzes on bronies.

Got Rarity who just happens to be my fav anyway.

Not going to lie, I was rigging it so I could get Rainbow Dash :P

I have to thank Escapist for making me a brony, back when it started in 2011 with their Star Craft Pony trailer post.

Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash
Take this quiz

I mean...I dunno how I got her..but alright I guess. I thought I would be more of a Flutter or Twilight.

Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle
Take this quiz

I would have guessed Fluttershy but this is ok too.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here