Zero Punctuation: Sonic Mania

Pages PREV 1 2

the video:
Cryptic crossword: Raw Ken scrambles to enjoy himself (6)

I see what you did there.

Anagram of "raw ken" ... enjoying himself.

Hawki:

Devieus:
There is exactly one open world Sonic game and we're not talking about it.

...Sonic Utopia?

I was going for Bioware's abortion that was Chronicles, but any one of them will be "that one game". Utopia is a fan game though, and it doesn't look terrible.

kenu12345:

Devieus:
He's making some decent points. Sonic would be well suited in an open world game, or even a metroidvania. There is exactly one open world Sonic game and we're not talking about it. Sonic's mechanics lends itself really well to exploration, but the camera is always too focused on his nose that looking ahead any significant distance just doesn't happen.

That's my gripe with it anyway, it's less of an issue in the 3D ones, but those come with problems of their own.

Eh I would have to disagree with ya there. While yes exploration is a key element of sonic so is getting to know a stage to make the fastest path through it and too those hidden special stages. Its why I am on my fifth playthrough and still having a ball

Those are things that explain Sonic games, not so much the Sonic character whose defining attributes are going fast and having attitude. An open world game would allow for both those things to come much more to light than what basically amounts to a puzzle platformer.

Devieus:

I was going for Bioware's abortion that was Chronicles, but any one of them will be "that one game". Utopia is a fan game though, and it doesn't look terrible.

I don't have much love for Chronicles, but it isn't open world. You can't go anywhere from the start, you can only move from area to area as the story allows.

Hawki:

Devieus:

I don't have much love for Chronicles, but it isn't open world. You can't go anywhere from the start, you can only move from area to area as the story allows.

I didn't get far in it, but from what I've played you can usually turn around and go back to the start of the game.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here