Useful Donkeys

Useful Donkeys

A few years ago, one of the banes of my childhood resurfaced. I was watching the remastered Star Trek episodes premiere on CBS, but there was a problem

Read Full Article

I've heard this is one of the reasons why Futurama got cancelled on Fox.

I think the change already happened. It is just matter of old moguls not catching up fast enough to it. The idea of ad blocks and programme schedule is bankrupt with younger generation. Nobody in their right mind watches shows when the shows are aired. They watch things when they have time to watch them. Nobody in their right mind wastes time watching ad blocks, they fast forward through them or get services that don't interrupt the content with ads.
I find myself regulary just throwing my hands up each time when on tv ad block starts and just turn it off. To the point I barely watch TV at all and I am an old guy, not really the 'young generation' anymore.

Same with news outlets like BBC or CNN (picked these because they should be still recognisable worldwide). They're dead, they just don't realise it yet. Every time they try to report on internet or social media related things I go like 'yeah I heard about that... 2 months ago'. Every time they advertise (yes advertise can't call it any other way) some form of agenda, doctrine, country or personality, it immediately makes me retch. I spent enough time in my youth under regimes and their mass media propagandas to know one when I see one.

They still must be seeing more sports-fans than Star Trek fans. Or they have deals which gives them the obligation of giving live sports higher priority than whatever show follows it (regardless the actual audience).

I know in the DFW area, Fox wised up first. If they were broadcasting the late game which usually finished around 6-6:30pm, they wouldn't schedule anything other than sports wrap-up shows or possibly a rerun of one of their cartoons to fill the time till 7pm (when primetime starts in the central time zone). Apparently CBS has finally done the same and moved 60 Minutes to start at 7pm instead of whenever the late game ended.

Good riddance, I say. Ain't nothing on TV worth watching anyway.

As long as Americans (people in generally really) continue to pay to watch football players suffer chronic traumatic encephalopathy injuries, I don't think it will change for a while.

Jamcie Kerbizz:
I think the change already happened. It is just matter of old moguls not catching up fast enough to it. The idea of ad blocks and programme schedule is bankrupt with younger generation. Nobody in their right mind watches shows when the shows are aired. They watch things when they have time to watch them. Nobody in their right mind wastes time watching ad blocks, they fast forward through them or get services that don't interrupt the content with ads.

Seriously. These days, the only time I put the cable on rather than Netflix is if there's a marathon of a show I like and I just want to have it on in the background while I work on something on my laptop. Anything I really, really want to watch, I'll go to Netflix. Or other means, if they don't have it. If I love the show, I'll buy the DVDs for later viewing convenience.
When I was growing up, though, before streaming became a thing, shows I wanted to watch getting pre-empted by sports games was the most infuriating thing, especially if it was an anime (which tended to have more serialized storytelling, even back then, which made missing an episode a huge problem). This continued to be a problem even into the days of DVR (my dad was one of the early adopters of the system, and even got a lifetime subscription for one before they stopped offering those), with the only difference being that you wouldn't know your show had been pre-empted until long afterward, when you actually went to watch the recording, only to find out that, haha, nope, it was pushed back by Local Sports Team and Opposing Sports Team going into overtime and you missed it! Actually, that might have made it even worse, come to think of it.

J.McMillen:
I know in the DFW area, Fox wised up first. If they were broadcasting the late game which usually finished around 6-6:30pm, they wouldn't schedule anything other than sports wrap-up shows or possibly a rerun of one of their cartoons to fill the time till 7pm (when primetime starts in the central time zone). Apparently CBS has finally done the same and moved 60 Minutes to start at 7pm instead of whenever the late game ended.

That's actually not a bad idea. Why didn't they all start doing that years ago?

It's hard to argue "When we feel like, maybe..." against "Whenever you are ready!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here