"Gamers" Are Still Dead, Y'all

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

If you're THAT starved for a comment, here. Have this one.

I mean, it's been said a million times now. In this very comment section, in fact. Why still peddle this "gamer culture" nonsense?

The only ones doing this clickbait bullshit are the "journalist" hacks that you quoted.

Metalix Knightmare:
I've never felt that gaming is some sort of in-group that is nigh impenetrable by those who come from the outside. I've been a lifelong gamer every since I got NES console back in 1989-90 (and before that I used to play on an Amiga at my uncle's place) and never have I felt that I belonged to any gamer group. And never have I felt that I was missing something crucial to enjoy games.

It wasn't, really.

But now on the other hand, ho boy, the list of qualifications before you can call yourself a gamer is larger and more in flux than a goddamned contract with Tzeenetch himself.

Is having played and beaten Dark Souls still on the list? I remember being told I wasn't a gamer because I had no interest in the series.

Whups, wrong poster quoted. Apologies.

Anyhou, as said earlier...

Are we really this starved for content around here that was have to start baiting the alt righters? Again?

As much as I despise on our Trump blessed Gatekeepers and their eternal vigilance in keeping gaming the safe space for conservative values that it never was, it's mainly on account of things like this article that these people got traction and credibility in the first place. You enabled this. You picked fights where fights weren't needed. You gave people like Tanker, Status, Mettalix, ect all the ammo they needed to plant a nice big Kek flag up our fucking asses and prove what they said was right. Didn't matter the collateral damage, long as you got your licks in.

We fought the US government and won. We fought people like "GamerGate", and won. People like you fucked it up, NewClassic. You did everything to make this little war happen. You did your part in ruining a subculture I cherished and, not that long ago, would have fought to the death to defend.

A pox on all of you, but especially on the people who seem to want to just keep fighting for the sake of fighting.

I appreciate the apparent... genuineness behind the OP.

And boy, do I also appreciate the Salt. Mmmm... nostalgic.

I'd respond more seriously, but frankly, I've been taking the piss out of everything here for like, two months now, it'd be a shame to ruin that streak now. Plus everything I had to say on the matter I said in... fuck, I think 2009.

...what? This shit's been in the gaming community since the 80s, possibly earlier. Though at the very least back in the day you didn't have to deal with everyone dropping 'SJW' like it's a meaningful word.

*sigh* I miss those days...

Ogoid:

Maybe I'm simply too "toxic" to get it.

Well hey, at least you admit it. /rimshot

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Thaluikhain:

Mechamorph:
It is also funny when certain writers attribute things to gaming media when it is prevalent in culture at large. Yes, unrealistically beautiful women, men (thanks Japan...), handsome men and men built like bodybuilders are common in gaming. They are also found in all mediums of human expression. Idealisation or celebration of the beauty of the human form goes back to Antiquity. Problems in gaming? You are basically asking them to ignore one of the touchstones of human culture. Attractive people are pleasant to look at. They help sales. That is why even your local newscaster looks presentable if not outright good looking.

Firstly, I'm not seeing anyone saying games are unique in that. That things are present elsewhere does not mean they aren't present in games.

Secondly, I'm not seeing anyone saying the presence attractive people in games are an issue. Ideas of what attractiveness means, sexualisation and so on, sure, but not the presence of attractive people.

Now, I'm sure you could find the odd person arguing either or both those points if you were to go digging, but neither point was brought up by this article, nor appears too much in the usual debate.

The point I am trying to make is that it is ultimately futile to try and remove sex, sexuality and appreciation for the human form from any kind of media. It has been part of cultural expression for what we know of human history and likely will continue to do so. Criticising gaming media for such things is pointless because it is not a factor in gaming as a medium as you noted, it is something inherent in practically all known human cultures. These things are part of the human condition.

Trying to "have a conversation" about characters like Bayonetta or Juliet Starling (egregious in these cases as they are tongue in cheek send ups) and ultimately attempting to censor or remove them because they are too objectified or too sexy is basically asking the company to turn down potential profit. One can argue the basis and validity of the artistic vision, if there indeed much of it to be found in a commercial product like video games which can require a large staff of people working on a single installment. What matters is the projected income from the game and what the company believes would sell. My point is that companies will do what is profitable in the end no matter what people may say about it. A company is beholden to its stockholders and they generate revenue through sales. Doing anything inimical to this goal is not particularly conducive to the long term health of the company.

If people are wondering why an article like this came out of nowhere... let me toss this fun tidbit I stumbled upon out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/russpitts/status/911978717077016576

I'm not going to make the claim that Mr. Macris, still listed under the staff here, expressly ordered for a violently clickbaity title front loaded with absurdist language on a site he knows is dead, as a means of squeezing out what little SEO (search engine optimization) juice add revenue by association to an equallly volatile and nasty event years back. The man is scum, he'd clearly do much worse.

HOWEVER! This is the single largest piece of site content, comment-wise, aside from Yahtzee, to see a release in... well, months. Views likely back that up too, cause again hyper click-baity. I'm not going to touch upon the article, I got sick of all the rancorous bull crap spewing out from both sides a month into that debacle. Even as a jest, I don't have the energy to listen and respond to it. It's nice to see a piece of legitimate new content though... I just wish it was something fresh, rather than a stale horse carcass brought out from the freezer for one more beating.

You did it a piece of clickbait that destroyed my last interest in this site, I am out.

Okamisama:
If people are wondering why an article like this came out of nowhere... let me toss this fun tidbit I stumbled upon out.

That thread made some pieces fall into place about what happened here.

Glad I didn't pay for pub club guess I will be sticking to other solutions for advertising when that ends. Might be time to start archiving in the future around here.

Okamisama:

I'm not going to make the claim that Mr. Macris, still listed under the staff here, expressly ordered for a violently clickbaity title front loaded with absurdist language on a site he knows is dead, as a means of squeezing out what little SEO (search engine optimization) juice add revenue by association to an equallly volatile and nasty event years back. The man is scum, he'd clearly do much worse.

Russ Pitts, ever the gentleman, showing his appreciation for the opportunity given him by this site. One thing though, any insinuations about Mr. Macris ordering recycled waste to be posted here in order to "squeeze SEO juices" is a little off the mark, given that HE DUN LEFT THE COMPANY in the summer. So this resurgence of GamerHate you're witnessing appears to be the result of his absence.

ScaredIndie:
Glad I didn't pay for pub club guess I will be sticking to other solutions for advertising when that ends. Might be time to start archiving in the future around here.

Alas, I did. Coincidentally the day after Mr. Bobert Chipman exited the site, and have been renewing since. If this is supposed to be the new editorial policy, I might as well cancel it. Too bad they're unlikely to refund for the time left.

In that case though, what would there be to archive? Just more musings like this? I think I could do without.

StatusNil:

Alas, I did. Coincidentally the day after Mr. Bobert Chipman exited the site, and have been renewing since.

Why would you do that? There is nothing on the site worth paying for, hasn't been for years.

NewClassic:
All of these things seem to stem from the same idea: What games have been for the past forty or so years must remain the only thing games are allowed to be.

Not even that. It's what games have been just for the past decade or two. Lots of people make the mistake of seeing the past 15 years of gaming and saying it was always like that (frequently either to excuse the present situation or to look like they are taking the industry into completly unknown territory when it really was just forgotten long time ago). Genres and character divesity was much more different in the 80's and 90's (specially in PC gaming). I'm not saying it was an utopical period of time; it just used to have more options of great quality genres than in the past 15 years.

I was always perfect, haven't changed and remain perfect. It is all of you who must do better. Don't copy me though, only one of me is enough.

Neverhoodian:
Turns out she was a fellow geek, and talk inevitably turned towards suitably geeky subjects.

Haha, what a phony, a real life fake gamer girl poser-ess. :^)

What's funny though, I actually did a bit of a stereotypical "geek cred" call-out when I saw my sister sporting a Batman pajama shirt. I know my sister well enough to say she got it for the cool and/or meme factor (she did), which is obviously perfectly fine as long as you're honest about it (I'm not above that either).

NewClassic:
Further, I make no demands of the industry. Just of the community. I genuinely like a lot of games that have some problematic views on sex and race, and that's okay, so long as I also have some awareness about it. It's when games and the games community refuses to admit there is a problem that it becomes profoundly problematic, which is why it's good to do some self-reflection once in a while.

That's almost entirely my problem. You're making demands of a "community" based entirely on your own subjective view of its interests. What you consider problematic (and man, is that word overused) is not to many others for many reasons. Gaming has many different groups, so it's pretty much impossible to refer to them as a whole. But by and large, gamers have shown time and time again that they refuse to admit there is a problem because there really isn't one. If people want to play video games, they will. There's nothing stopping them from doing so. Anybody who participates in the medium will find their niche along with others who will gladly welcome them into it. It may seem like it creates a "cult" mentality, but really it's just how humans work. We can't help but group together based on commonalities. That's not "problematic," that's just life.

This is really sad - to see the Escapist stoop to Polygon levels of clickbait.

Honestly - citing Leigh Alexander, claiming that Bayonetta is sexist (who's main character was designed by a female game dev as her power fantasy)

This is click-bait - pathetic click-bait. The only thing left on the Escapist worth coming for it Zero Punctuation... when is he going to up and leave? I'm sure he'd do far better going solo on youtube with a patreon or something.

This just makes me miss Ron even more :(

Well, that's a way to make sure the few remaining escapist users leave.

By the way, most of the writers of the "gamers are dead" articles aren't even a part of the gaming industry/journalism anymore, meanwhile, "gamers" are still pretty fine. It's a fight they were bound to lose.

Achelexus:
"gamers" are still pretty fine.

Come on, tell the truth. You know and I know that they cry an awful lot for people who're fine. I know it's the 21st century and everyone can wear their heart on their sleeve, but Jesus, just roll your sleeve down a little bit sometimes. They'll need to bring whambulance jokes back soon.

Considering gaming has gotten even more inclusive and mainstream in the last few years, I think it's good to remind the people who insist that they "are the real gamers!", that they indeed are the minority. Now more than ever.

Then again, given how they seem to know next to nothing about media and cultural criticism, maybe they complain because they think the "Gamers are dead" articles were about literally murdering gamers? They're not exactly geniuses is what I'm saying.

Crimson, Neverhood and Callate already made the effort, so there's nothing I can really add, except for noting the people popping in the thread only to decry people for popping into the thread.

Smithnikov:

We fought the US government and won.

DaCosta:

Then again, given how they seem to know next to nothing about media and cultural criticism, maybe they complain because they think the "Gamers are dead" articles were about literally murdering gamers? They're not exactly geniuses is what I'm saying.

Nah, they are right, they were about literally murdering gamers. I was right there, following Zoe Quinn's orders during the Great Gamer Pogroms. I executed 30 myself. It was awesome.

GR8 B8 M8

Three years ago stuff like this started something whose embers last to this day, I loved the escapist for allowing discussion back then but as a certain Power Metal band put it:

It's the nature of time
That the old ways must give in
It's the nature of time
That the new ways comes in sin
When the new meets the old
It always end the ancient ways
And as history told
The old ways go out in a blaze
Encircled by a vulture
The end of ancient culture
The dawn of destiny draws near

Nothing else to see here, gaming will move on and everything will be forgotten. The last one left should close the lights.

NewClassic:

The same could be said for reading articles like these. They're still a consumer product, much like games. Both have consequences beyond internal context, though, so both are worth criticizing.

It certainly could be said for articles like these, if they hadn't become ubiquitous in the gaming media, their message treated like a self-evident truth and any disagreement or dissent just further proof not only of its veracity, but of its very necessity; The Escapist for one not engaging in that behavior was the main reason for my continued presence here, something I clearly may have to reconsider.

As far as "consequences beyond internal context", while I have yet to see a case be made for games having any in any convincing manner, I'll most certainly agree articles like these have, which is something I'll get back to later.

No one is really making demands of the entire games industry, or the entire games community, but rather articles like these hope to push back a little at the behaviors that can harm new players and fans, without having to compromise on quality or artistic expression. There's nothing wrong with sex, which is why only FOX News got upset about Mass Effect, but there is sexual objectification in combat lingerie. Criticizing that, even if it's the only flaw one finds in a game, is still valuable. Maybe not personally valuable, but being able to see that it harms at least someone is good to keep in mind.

I beg to differ. Some are clearly making demands of both the entire games industry and the entire gaming community, with rhetoric only superficially different from that we've all been intimately familiar with since the 90's ("games are harmful"), that has been proven to have no substance whatsoever given the slightest amount of serious scrutiny; a kind of rhetoric that has already held back one entire art form for the better part of a century.

In short, making mindful decisions instead of unconsidered ones are what everyone hopes for, and also in hopes that it leads to a better community. Though everyone's definition of "better" may vary, the important takeaway is to see any criticism as valid, even if not holistically valuable.

So yeah, getting back on the topic of "consequences beyond internal context" and a "better community"... maybe it's just me, but from where I'm standing, general discourse on the topic of video games only ever became more hostile as a result of the self-righteous posturing of the would-be gatekeeper with an entirely disproportional sense of their own relevance your title alludes to - or that of any of its other 14 or so adherents, for that matter - instead of less.

As genuinely great as games like Bayonetta and Lollypop Chainsaw are, we also need to accept that the criticism about the sexuality built into them is valid. No one is saying these games are inherently bad, or there should be no games styled and developed in this way, but that we genuinely need to recognize that skimpy nuns, bikini-clad martial artists, exposed-breast ninjas, and The Witcher sex scenes create an image that the games community doesn't resist.

Bayonetta - 2009
Bayonetta 2 - 2014
Lollipop Chainsaw - 2012
Witcher 3 - 2015

I'm sorry, but are these games still hotly debated? If we are suppose to discuss present issues in the industry, would it not be appropriate to cite recent examples?

The escapist is on it's last knees and this is just a last ditch attempt at some traffic IMO.

Callate:
"As genuinely great as games like Bayonetta and Lollipop (sp) Chainsaw are, we also need to accept that the criticism about the sexuality built into them is valid."

...Fucking hell, no. No we don't. Criticism is not inherently worthy[...] It isn't really about examination in any credible way, it just says, "this is wrong, there is only one right way, fix it or face the consequences [...]Don't tell me the criticism is inherently "valid"- it isn't. It's bullshit. It's hateful and stifling to creativity."

So one of the creators of Dishonored 2 attributed his meeting with Anita Sarkeesian to his creative decisions to include more women in the sequels and have Emily as a playable character. By having the first game criticised, the creator realised that Sarkeesian had a valid point, took that point to the writing team of the next game, and they made a much better sequel as a result. I just finished playing Death of the Outsider, which has a black bisexual woman with disabilities as the protagonist. So tell me how has Sarkeesian stifled creativity in this instance? It seems like her wrods have helped make a better game.

But as far as I'm concerned, Lollipop Chainsaw and Bayonetta and Doom and the like have every damn right to be exactly what they are

Yes they do, just as much as I have every damn right to point out the flaws in those games. My criticisms could be valid, but that in no way means they have to go back and change the games to my whim even if I wanted it, nor does it mean that people can't like those games I criticised, nor does it mean I don't like those games I criticised.

I could go a hundred years without hearing anyone complaining about Quiet's costume in MGS V again, or the proportions of the female characters in Dragon's Crown. Trying to embarrass someone for presenting something you find objectionable is not the same thing as a sincere query. Not everything is suited for everyone- that's part of what diversity means.

You literally could go a hundred years without hearing complaints about Quiet's costume: it really isn't hard to avoid critics talking about games, but then again that comes back to the main problem, which is that you just can't stand to hear people make certain types of complaints about games - it has nothing to do with your other arguments about whether these criticisms are even valid, just that you've decided you don't want to hear them, and that your strategy to devalue them is to paint the complainers as fascistic.

I am not obligated to agree that something is "problematic". I am not required to stir myself into apoplexy because of the way a particular character is portrayed. I am not impressed by attempts to guilt me into buying into the "validity" of criticism that does a crap job because it believes it's already been half-done for them, the audience primed to credit all the same shallow pre-conclusions, coached in the same jargon.

You do however see it as perfectly reasonable to complain about those people who complain, despite that being a self-contradicting argument considering they, as you say, don't have to do what you want.

Neverhoodian:
Where are all the "Tabletop players are dead" articles, I wonder? [...] I find it curious how, despite how insanely popular sports is among such a wide swathe of the population, you don't run across any Leigh Alexander hit pieces or Feminist Frequency videos covering the very real sexist issues among certain fans. Society seems perfectly fine with toxicity in other venues (in person, no less), but video games? That's suddenly the Worst Thing Ever.

In fairness, you're reading on a game website, not a tabletop site nor a sporting site, so of course you won't exactly bump into that many editorials on sexism in not-gaming things. And also, whilst gaming is a huge hobby enjoyed by hundreds of millions, only a very narrow people proactively read articles and think pieces about games. The same applies for every other major hobby.

Now that said, there absolutely is criticism of sexism in tabletop and sports - and in the latter, I think the general public are a bit more receptive to the problem. News have entire sections for sports, and these routinely bring up sexism. Hell, they've just released a biopic movie about sexism in tennis.

DaCosta:
Considering gaming has gotten even more inclusive and mainstream in the last few years, I think it's good to remind the people who insist that they "are the real gamers!", that they indeed are the minority. Now more than ever.

The funny thing is that gaming is only more "inclusive" now because the people who made it a more hostile place have been slowly kicked out, that includes most of these who cry about "gamers".

I think you made a bit of a mistake here. See, gamer's are still around. It seems that Leigh Alexander's career was the only think that died since the time these articles were relevant.

Seriously though, why do this? Do you need clicks that badly? Are you hoping to get picked up by one of the other sites when this place spontaneously explodes due to lack of tech team? Just... why?

Fine, I'll do a quick stream of consciousness breakdown of my thoughts on it.

The article talks of gaming culture like it has to appeal to and be easy for those outside it to immerse themselves within it. It does not. No culture does. If you want to learn about a culture, you put the effort in to learn and to join it, you do not expect it to be served up to you on a platter, let alone that it change to your whim as you don't contribute to it. Painting that as "gamers don't want people in their hobby" is also disingenuous. Most gamers love to share their hobby. They just don't want it to be forced to adhere to the political views of others, especially those who want to politicize everything about the games themselves and kick the old gamers out of it because they don't agree. You know, the sort trying to claim that there is wider problems that gaming causes by cherry picking examples and pretending they apply to the universal whole as later happens in this article.

This article attempts to paint people not wanting change as sexist or racist while ignoring that far, far too much of that "push for change" is presented as declarations of racism or sexism on the current audience and attempts to shame and demonize people into changing what they like. Other "gamers are dead" articles, after all, were the response to gamers demanding such outrageous things like the games journalists to be ethical, only to be demonized and openly lied about and stereotyped. Really answers the question raised on why gamers don't want change when you put it in the context of the people demanding change are also doing everything in their power to bully and drive them off.

the article also tries to drum up sympathy for developers having to react to fans, while ignoring that it was developers, and journalists helping them, screwing the consumers over time after time that creates the very distrust and lack of faith in developers that cause these sorts of things. Or maybe since we are digging up old controversies, why don't you make an article about how mass effect 3 fans were entitled and spoiled in expecting the promises about the ending to be fulfilled? How about recent kickstarter rip-off No-man's Sky?

Article lies about what games are "allowed" to be by entirely ignoring that nothing stops indie games from being whatever they want, and that it is only because larger companies need to make money as to why you wont see larger companies trying that by investing millions into a game that doesn't sell equally well to what the audience actually is buying.

And it does this to try to claim "we need to discuss the sexuality built into them". No, we don't. As a gaming culture, we don't have to care at all about your personal pet politics or your desire to make generalizations about large groups of people over cherry picked examples. Furthermore, when yo uare using cherry picked examples to make sweeping claims about the culture as a whole, you ARE saying that those games are bad by extension and that those who support or create them are. Hell, sometimes this mindset isn't even hidden as things like the DoA localization controversy showed.

And really, the witcher? The game itself was a dark, mature game that held that theme throughout, not pulling back from things like sexuality any more than violence in telling its story and creating its world. If you are trying to make any sort of argument about sexuality in gaming with relation to how other people view it, pointing to the witcher as an example of something we might want to avoid is a sure sign of why no one will listen to you and why gamers shouldn't.

Furthermore, perhaps there would be less concern about censoring games if there wasn't, you know, blatant examples of people pushing for this sort of "examination" also championing very blatant censoring of games. From flagging games off steam, to demanding chances to remove options that offend them, to demonizing those who like them, to actively sabotaging localization efforts, the examples of censoring games pile up so it is little wonder more gamers grow wary of these political ideologues. Saying " I don't want to censor games" is not very convincing when followed with "but this is unacceptable, sexist, racist and needs to change because I want it to, regardless what the customers and fans want". Well, at least you didn't argue that it isn't censorship if it isn't the government doing it. That is something at least.

In the end, the "basis" of the toxic gamer label stems exclusively from those who have been using that image for their own purposes. Like every example of a stereotype, it is justified by cherry picked examples and exists because it is marketed and used by opportunists and hateful demagogues. This would be the very people the article complains are criticized by gamers. The very person you linked in this article is a clear and present example of that.

So in the end, this article is just terrible.

You know what it reminds me a lot of? Same sort of justification as "Black people wouldn't have that stereotype if they weren't always committing violence and eating fried chicken".

Although gaming is alive and well, the basement-dwelling Mountain Dew goblin teenager stereotype who screams at his mother for "interrupting" his boob-modded Call of Duty match to give him his pizza rolls image others have of gamers is still very troublesome. It's an image we need to resist.

Projecting much?

Part of the struggle is one of vocabulary. Games are a relatively young medium, and their unique quirks and methods still aren't known to everyone. Telling a lifelong player to be mindful of their sensitivity settings isn't really a hard step for those familiar with the parlance, but has no context or frame of reference for those outside of first-person gaming. It's also true of things like frame perfect links, expert jungling, getting mana screwed, pocket Mercy, No Mercy runs, TAS runs, and countless other expressions within gaming. For the average person more on the periphery of games, terms like these have no real glossaries, and certainly very little frame of reference outside of already knowing the basics of each game.

So does any hobby and job. Try to go to a law school or a serious science convention to prove my point.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/nl303405g
Read this. Let's see how far you'll venture.

The other part of the struggle is the culture itself. It's hard to push into games from the outside because there is resistance to the concept of glossaries. More pertinently, those who need them. Things that widen games to audiences formerly in the outside of the culture read as some kind of betrayal. Those who feel passionately about games seem to want to keep them close, locked into a familiar shape with familiar communities. The culture that feels those already playing belong to the in-group, and out-groups trying to join either need to fold themselves quietly, or leave. That games don't belong to anyone but those already in.

Ah, you're one of those people. Yes. The outgroups HAVE to fold themselves into the community. The reason for this is so that we won't have impostors, that say that they love all video games, while in reality at best played only Farmville, at worst actually hate games and use this to push their own agenda.

This culture is a problem, and one that manifests itself in a lot of ways. Women have a hard time pushing into game communities without the expectation to just tolerate the sexism already present. Minorities who speak against the overwhelming lack of representation are just called racists themselves for failing to accept that whiteness is the default, and any deviation is somehow confrontationally political where overwhelming underrepresentation isn't.

Well screw those people, the exit is right over there. No one is going to listen to your stupid demands of representation. If you want gaming industry to notice you, them do something that earns it.

Fantasization of sexual femininity and toxic masculinity is the expected normal, and any push for alternatives is seen as invasive and unwanted. Honesty about design is read as manipulation, and developers are punished for getting out of line or designing games in "wrong" ways.

http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/391540/header.jpg?t=1503525486
https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/ubicomstatic/en-US/global/search-thumbnail/Search_Thumbnail_RL-V2_Mobile_138440.jpg
http://media.nintendo.com/nintendo/bin/H046_DMqLS1vDuBChewr5h01OfubAvyW/pIvIRVTIZdQxUCEFwmP6irIPSANuTMMa.jpg
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/half-life/images/2/26/Chell_portal2.PNG/revision/latest?cb=20120726045729&path-prefix=en

So...what "wrong ways" are we talking about here? For every sexy women and muscle man out there there are games that don't have them and still are popular.

The lattermost point found its way to Twitter on a thread by developer Charles Randall. The thread begins talking about the fact that developers tend to be stingy with information.

Holy crap, that is the dumbest thing I've read this week.

There are still topics I can't touch because I was candid once and it resulted in dumb headlines, misunderstandings, and harassment.

I'm going to assume that that "gamedev trick" is actually shit like "hey, microtranscations are awesome, guys!", because otherwise proofs or you're full of shit.

So while I'd talk candidly about certain big topics right now -- I know doing so would lead to another wave of assholes throwing shit at me. (And of course I face almost nothing compared to women/PoC/lgtbq+ folk)

Holy shit, the virtue signalling is REAL.

I did a public talk a couple weeks ago to a room full of all ages kids, and afterwards, a kid came up to me and was talking about stuff. And I shit you not, this kid (somewhere between 13-16 I'd guess) starts talking about how bad devs are because of a youtuber he watches. He nailed all the points, "bad engines", "being greedy", you name it. I was appalled.

You westerners really can't take a punch if a 13-16 y.o can trigger you. Also, well excuuse me, princess, for daring to have legitimate issues in current gamedev.
Yes, a lot of games use outdated engines. Yes a lot of devs are using and defending greedy business practices. If you're that scared of this teenager saying this in your face, then the problem's in you.

I worry about what other topical hatred he's picking up on at the same time. I guess this leads into a bigger point. When you attack developers for "being political", that's a facet of the bullshit that forces us to keep things hidden from public view.

That's because. You're. A. Game developer. Your political opinion is irrelevant. The last thing we need in gaming is people ruining it by showing completely unnecessary politics. The reason why they do this is simple - they want their views to be noticed and accepted by everyone. I don't care about your political views and I'm certainly not going to accept them. All I care is playability of your game and your ability to deal with criticism. Nothing more, nothing less.

All of these things seem to stem from the same idea: What games have been for the past forty or so years must remain the only thing games are allowed to be. Any change to format, mechanics, or culture should be heavily questioned, criticized, and thrown out if too avant garde. Keep costumes skimpy, muscles big, breasts and butts bigger, characters white, status quo stable, and no matter what-if someone speaks out against any of it-mob them into silence. Games belong to "gamers," and anyone who doesn't toe the line clearly isn't a Real GamerTM.

Yes. That's right. And what's wrong with that? You demonize the entire gaming community. You're no better.

The problem this creates is that, from the outside, gaming appears to be a teen dude's clubhouse that hides copies of Playboy under the furniture, invites his friends over to objectify the girl who wears short skirts to class, believes strongly that minorities couldn't have realistically existed in fantasy medieval times, and vehemently defends the artistic merit of combat armor designed for and worn by lingerie models. At a glance, it isn't an image that seems wrong, either.

And you people say "Just because one game journalist fucked up, doesn't mean they're all bad". No. You started this first. You did this in 2014 and continue doing this.

As genuinely great as games like Bayonetta and Lollypop Chainsaw are, we also need to accept that the criticism about the sexuality built into them is valid. No one is saying these games are inherently bad, or there should be no games styled and developed in this way, but that we genuinely need to recognize that skimpy nuns, bikini-clad martial artists, exposed-breast ninjas, and The Witcher sex scenes create an image that the games community doesn't resist.

How is people loving sexy things bad?

And when parts of the community do resist, they're met with very public and vocal dissent about how they're trying to "censor" games, or are accusing the community of uniformly being misogynist or racist. That's almost never the case, and acknowledging that the culture can sometimes resemble a sex-crazed white boys' club is exactly why the visual of an energy drink-downing troglodyte has never been entirely dispelled from what gamers are. We need to resist the apparent rule in this culture that games are above questioning sexist, racist, or adolescent design or cultural decisions.

"We don't actually say that they're all sexists and racists, but actually you are. Stop that."
Now that's what I call cognitive dissonance!

Things like feminist and racial critique of games are a part of the spectrum of what a people who play and criticize games are, and have always been. Without letting ourselves acknowledge these things as a part of the natural discourse of games, then it will always feel a little bit juvenile. It will always seem to people that our dramatic space operas are just sex games with blue aliens. It will always appear to senators and lawyers that our violence is harmful fantasizing rather than just one of many tools in games' storytelling belts.

And you know what I say to those people and senators? "Well good for you, now fuck off, your opinions are garbage. Your feminist and racial critique is garbage, your "games violence is harmful fantasizing" is garbage".
All of this shit only divides the gaming community even further, but you don't care now, do you? Non of your ilk care.

Further, the longer aggressive disagreement to anything perceived as "harming games" is the culturally appropriate, level-headed response, the longer even game developers will find this community toxic. Even from within, the rhetoric of war pervades disagreement more than actual discourse does. Games culture has an aggression problem, and it's time to own up to that.

And let's start off this brilliant step into a new, brighter gaming community, by kicking off the toxic, harmful elements of it! Like you, for example.

Dispelling the toxicity does mean taking a hard look in the mirror and honestly admitting that the toxic things that happen-even with the best intentions-are damaging. That is the basis of the harmful "gamer" label. What the rest of the world has internalized over years of booth babes, anime waifu boob mousepads, underdressed heroines, white-only heroism, and violent revelry does not make our community look like the mature medium games have largely become over the years. As long as the community keeps throwing very public, very aggressive tantrums at anyone pointing this out, though, it will keep looking this way.

And I. Do not. Give. A. Damn. You can call me all the slurs you want. I'll continue playing my games and watch my animes and show you the middle finger. you can only say stuff. I not only can say back, I can also do. And you know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna play Bunny Black in my comfy basement and there's nothing you can do about it!
I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't accept people that are barging into my community and start to divide and conquering them.

runic knight:

You know what it reminds me a lot of? Same sort of justification as "Black people wouldn't have that stereotype if they weren't always committing violence and eating fried chicken".

So, what you are saying is... You identify as a Gamer-American?

OK, a few questions:

1. Since gaming is bigger than music and movies combined and literally everyone plays games these days, can you explain what "gaming community" and "gamer culture" are?
2. Since games are more versatile than they've ever been before, what's wrong with having a few games that appeal to the more primal side of a teenage boy? For someone who's preaching all this inclusivity, you sure want to exclude the people you don't like.
3. Why do you take so many jabs at white men in this article? I've been hearing about how evil I am for the past decade or so and I've had enough.

Vanilla ISIS:

3. Why do you take so many jabs at white men in this article? I've been hearing about how evil I am for the past decade or so and I've had enough.

It is because straight white men suck, my good dude.

dragoongfa:
GR8 B8 M8

Three years ago stuff like this started something whose embers last to this day, I loved the escapist for allowing discussion back then but as a certain Power Metal band put it:

It's the nature of time
That the old ways must give in
It's the nature of time
That the new ways comes in sin
When the new meets the old
It always end the ancient ways
And as history told
The old ways go out in a blaze
Encircled by a vulture
The end of ancient culture
The dawn of destiny draws near

Nothing else to see here, gaming will move on and everything will be forgotten. The last one left should close the lights.

Imperial force defined, facing 500 samurai
Surrounded and outnumbered, 60 to 1 the sword face the gun
Bushido dignified, it's the last stand of the samurai

Sorry I love that song so I couldn't help myself.

Mechamorph:
The point I am trying to make is that it is ultimately futile to try and remove sex, sexuality and appreciation for the human form from any kind of media. It has been part of cultural expression for what we know of human history and likely will continue to do so. Criticising gaming media for such things is pointless because it is not a factor in gaming as a medium as you noted, it is something inherent in practically all known human cultures. These things are part of the human condition.

Again, not seeing anyone complain about games for merely including sex. Ok, there are probably some Mary Whitehouse types out there, but usually people are talking about how it's done, not that it's done.

Mechamorph:
Trying to "have a conversation" about characters like Bayonetta or Juliet Starling (egregious in these cases as they are tongue in cheek send ups) and ultimately attempting to censor or remove them because they are too objectified or too sexy is basically asking the company to turn down potential profit. One can argue the basis and validity of the artistic vision, if there indeed much of it to be found in a commercial product like video games which can require a large staff of people working on a single installment. What matters is the projected income from the game and what the company believes would sell. My point is that companies will do what is profitable in the end no matter what people may say about it. A company is beholden to its stockholders and they generate revenue through sales. Doing anything inimical to this goal is not particularly conducive to the long term health of the company.

Yes, it makes a profit...but then so does Michael Bay, Justin Bieber, Kendall Jenner etc. People are going to have things to say about those as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here