An Open Letter to The Escapist Community

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 18 NEXT

An Open Letter to The Escapist Community

To The Escapist Community,

As many of you may have noticed by now, there hasn't been much staff interaction over the last few months. It is with regret that, to our knowledge, that all paid staff have been relieved of their duties, with the apparent exception of Yahtzee, The Escapist's streaming staff, and Encaen for a few contracted hours a month. We won't beat around the bush, it is a serious situation. We can't promise that The Escapist will last forever; it may have years left in it, or it may disappear tomorrow. What we can say is we will do our utmost to keep this site running in an orderly fashion, for as long as it stays online. That said, nearly everything that it does is through volunteer efforts.

With this sad news, though, comes an opportunity. The moderation team has been granted a number of powers to keep the site running. The new community-run Escapist will be looking for your input on how the site operates, and for volunteers in creating content. We may even look into adjusting the Code of Conduct, if that is possible with the tools we've been given. Together we can breathe some life back into this site, one article at a time.

A quick note: the old appeals system cannot be accessed for technical reasons, but new appeals can be directed towards EscapistAppeals@gmail.com, where they will be dealt with by an independent moderator who did not give out the original infraction. This moderator will contact the appealing party to ask for their argument as to why they feel it does not breach a rule, as well as liaising with the moderator responsible for the infraction to ask them to explain their reasons before reaching a final decision on the appeal. Any infractions given out on or after the 1st of September 2017 are eligible to appeal under the new system.

Anyhow, we'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we hope you will stay with us for the next step in The Escapist's journey.

EDIT - New content submission guidelines and information can now be found on the Content Contact Page, or by clicking "Submissions" in the footer below.

Your Loyal Moderators and Staff,

Basement Cat
Caramel Frappe
Dr.Susse
EscapeGoat
Fappy
JoJo
NewClassic
Redlin5
tippy2k2

Thanks for your service and know that I'm not going anywhere. Keep being awesome you guys and words cannot describe how much your work on this website has changed my life for the better :)

Damn... Hopefully the site can be reborn and the owners don't just let it die. Still it is nice that the mod team is willing to continue to donate their time to keep the site running. Thanks for that. It will be interesting to stick around here awhile longer and see where everything goes from here.

Might as well get this question out of the way: How come the list of mods on the CoC don't match the list here? Does it just need to get updated? Also, where did Voltaiq come from?

I think a lot of the community realized that things aren't great right now. Certainly not what they once were when we had two or three pieces of content every weekday. I'm not really sure what went wrong, but I feel like it started when Extra Credits left.

All that being said, I'm not going anywhere. I'll be here til the end. And probably won't even find a new forum if it does go under. I started posting here because I enjoyed the community. And even if there are individuals that I think are a harm to the community, they're barely worth my attention at the end of the day.

Anyway, I'd love to contribute. Alas, I'm a talentless hack. If ever I do come up with some sort of article that I think people might enjoy, I guess I could give it a shot.

Yeah, I'm not totally surprised by this news. I've had suspicions for a while about the condition of the Escapist, and what the mods have been up to for the past couple of months.

Fucking sad, really.

That said, I'm glad you guys given enough of a shit about this place to at least try to make it functional. Much appreciated, my homies. I know I've been very critical with a couple of people and how they go about things, but that doesn't mean I don't care. Just annoyed that there was a lack of communication, so I'm happy that you guys came forward and explained what is going on.

I know I'm not going anywhere, mainly out of habit now, so I know I'm interested in knowing what y'all have planned.

Fuck Defy and love you guys. <3

Aerosteam:
Might as well get this question out of the way: How come the list of mods on the CoC don't match the list here? Does it just need to get updated? Also, where did Voltaiq come from?

CoC is probably tied up under proper admin tools, so I doubt a mod can change it that quickly. I imagine Encaen or Frappe could if they had the time, they could rewrite or tidy it up but until then, we'll just have to be smart.

Also if by contribute, you mean take reviews into consideration, I may have a desire to write a couple. Although it'll be on old ass games as I don't have the money to keep up with new releases, which could be a problem. :p

Sassafrass:
Also if by contribute, you mean take reviews into consideration, I may have a desire to write a couple. Although it'll be on old ass games as I don't have the money to keep up with new releases, which could be a problem. :p

NewClassic is on point for the articles although people are helping him edit/sort. I think the submissions will be going through him although a supplementary announcement may be made for clarification.

In anycase, we'll take what people are willing to give. This place is user-content driven like its never been before at this point. I suggest anybody who has put thought into a piece and who would like some readership to consider it.

I can't promise they'd be of much quality, as I'm stuck without a desktop for the time being, but I could try my hand at any gaming news stories I come across.

Just want to add that community contributors are now allowed to plug external sites in their content for the purposes of compensation (like Patreon) and personal brand awareness (like blogs). We have nothing to pay contributors short of badges, unfortunately.

Redlin5:
In anycase, we'll take what people are willing to give. This place is user-content driven like its never been before at this point. I suggest anybody who has put thought into a piece and who would like some readership to consider it.

Might be a good idea to put a sticky somewhere about acceptable topics and where to submit writeups then.

gigastar:

Redlin5:

Might be a good idea to put a sticky somewhere about acceptable topics and where to submit writeups then.

Good suggestion. We obviously don't want people wasting their time writing something not audience/site appropriate.

gigastar:

Redlin5:

Sure thing. I'll start drafting that soon.

I'm honestly pleasantly surprised that this post hasn't triggered a wave of whining. Yet.
Maybe I should try my hand at reviewing, after looking at some of the writing I did and tucked away in the past.

Edit: news post, I mean, not my post specifically, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to use my post as a springboard into whinging.

You guys are like the band that kept playing as the Titanic sank.

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Katherine Kerensky:
I'm honestly pleasantly surprised that this post hasn't triggered a wave of whining. Yet.

Well as youre undoubtedly aware, the whining has already happened in the Wild West.

And i suppose if the doors being opened then i might try my hand at reporting and reviews in my off time.

Aerosteam:

We only listed the mods and staff who specifically agreed to sign their names to the statement, so a couple of mods who are busy right now didn't get on in time. Volt is a recent recruit of ours who came highly recommended by another mod. He's purely on spam patrol at the moment, owing to his convenient timezone.

Thank you for your candidness.

NewClassic:

gigastar:

Redlin5:

Myself and a friend may be interested in doing this, so I'll definitely keep an eye out. Even though it's just exposure it'll let us get feedback from an audience.

Fappy:
Just want to add that community contributors are now allowed to plug external sites in their content for the purposes of compensation (like Patreon) and personal brand awareness (like blogs). We have nothing to pay contributors short of badges, unfortunately.

What if their Patreon does something that wouldn't be approved by Escapist Magazine?

Yiff
Hate Speech
Misinformation
Flame Bait

I'd come up with more examples but I can't think of any.

There is hope still in this bittersweet situation. Much respect to all those still keeping this ship afloat, wherever tides await us, a new horizon teases an unsure adventure, so let's bring out the rum and keep on keeping on.

The Enquirer:

NewClassic:

gigastar:

Myself and a friend may be interested in doing this, so I'll definitely keep an eye out. Even though it's just exposure it'll let us get feedback from an audience.

That's great because we pay entirely in exposure!
Jokes aside any writing you wouldn't normally do is good building experience.

I am taking credit for atleast some of this! (since I kept pushing the 'community work together...and other things)

I was actually worried this was going to be JoJo telling off everyone for complaining, but its not and I am very happy to read this.

I also recommend some sort of way to have real input on what is posted as content here. I get that some people like Taco News, and if people want to defend it, then go ahead, but the "Better than nothing" and otherwise rudely dismissive responses is not exactly fair and is a bigger reason why I take issue with it.

Basically some sort of clear feedback system would be nice.

Not completely unexpected but still sad news.
I hope the site gets back on it's feet.
I've visited this place almost daily for about ten years now and will remain to do so for as long as it's up.
I'd love to contribute to the site but I don't know if I'd find the time.

Jacked Assassin:

Fappy:

What if their Patreon does something that wouldn't be approved by Escapist Magazine?

Yiff
Hate Speech
Misinformation
Flame Bait

It may differ on a case-by-case basis, but a good rule of thumb is that it's a-okay if nothing promoted on the Patreon page would violate the CoC. Rules for linking to questionable content would still apply.

Fappy:

Jacked Assassin:

Fappy:

Yiff
Hate Speech
Misinformation
Flame Bait

It may differ on a case-by-case basis, but a good rule of thumb is that it's a-okay if nothing promoted on the Patreon page would violate the CoC. Rules for linking to questionable content would still apply.

We should establish this now, because if its not then its going to be a debate later when it actually happens,

What happens when someone using their Patreon for content on the Escapist is found to be affiliated with a controversial social movement like (and this is a deliberately extreme example) the Klu Klux Klan?

gigastar:

Fappy:

Jacked Assassin:

Yiff
Hate Speech
Misinformation
Flame Bait

We should establish this now, because if its not then its going to be a debate later when it actually happens,

What happens when someone using their Patreon fro content on the Escapist is found to be affiliated with a controversial social movement like (and this is a deliberately extreme example) the Klu Klux Klan?

Nuke may set some basic guidelines in his upcoming post, but I don't think we can write a set of rules that will cover every scenario. That said, if we feel it necessary we can always pull something questionable. It's not like anyone's signing a contract, and from a legal perspective none of us (mods and users alike) are representing the site. If controversy should arise it would have to be fairly contrived.

I highly doubt it will come up though. The remaining community members are a pretty dedicated bunch to have stayed for so long, and I only imagine this sort of thing happening by a deliberate troll. I'd be surprised if someone like that had content approved in the first place.

I agree though, and we'll do what we can to head-off potential issues.

Welp, time to replace that escapist bookmark with destructoid and keep an eye out for when Yahtzee does a Jim Sterling.

OK. Fine. I volunteer. I can talk about movies, video games and the culture they exist in at great length, I've been plaing video games since I was three years old, I have a sexy european accent and I have a lot of provocative, politically left leaning views that are sure to get the attention of people on 4chan. I can write reasonably well, I have a semi decent gaming PC and a number of idiosyncratic opinions about culture, pop and otherwise.

You want criticism, I can give you criticism. You want general cultural punditry, let me tell you, I have enough bones to pick to last you for years. If you can give me exposure, I can give you content.

Sorry, but this situation is just god-damn absurd. Just... Completely absurd. How can they expect to run a site if they don't have any paid staff?

BreakfastMan:
Sorry, but this situation is just god-damn absurd. Just... Completely absurd. How can they expect to run a site if they don't have any paid staff?

They don't.

The grim reality is that this place is left mostly to take in what it can silently. The only reason anyone is "running" it is because we volunteered to.

NewClassic:

BreakfastMan:

They don't.

The grim reality is that this place is left mostly to take in what it can silently. The only reason anyone is "running" it is because we volunteered to.

So basically, the site is in hospice now?

Is there any plan on what to do once Yahtzee inevitably leaves?

JoJo:

As many of you may have noticed by now, there hasn't been much staff interaction over the last few months. It is with regret that, to our knowledge, that all paid staff have been relieved of their duties, with the apparent exception of Yahtzee, The Escapist's streaming staff, and Encaen for a few contracted hours a month. We won't beat around the bush, it is a serious situation.

no shit. Why not just create a subreddit since there's no difference between an all volunteer mod team here or there?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here