An Open Letter to The Escapist Community

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 NEXT

tippy2k2:

Vendor-Lazarus:
I know you mods and staff have basically no contact with Defy, but it will be interesting (as in the Chinese Interesting times saying) seeing which of the three (so far I think?) roads the site will take.
Defy owned but Community driven, Old Guard/Susan Arendt owned or Enthusiast Gaming Owned.

What is your own personal speculations?

I think it depends on whether Zero Punctuation is tied into The Escapist itself or Defy.
If The Escapist then Defy will never let it go! ^^

Like Redlin5 said, I can only speculate as you guys have the same info as I do.

The rest of this can be skipped with no change to the overall level of knowledge.

God this was a depressing read.

Both the initial letter and the thread following it.

Some of you folks are still so fucked up, even after all these years. It's genuinely sad to see.

StatusNil:

Vendor-Lazarus:
Enthusiast Gaming Owned.

They pitched? Clearly, the only offer that has any chance of making things work here. But they'd have to get the lay of the land carefully, so they can watch out for the encroaching darkness... and bring a vision other than "third-rate Kotaku-NeoGaf hybrid".

Any other takers?

If one can trust a new account that shares the name of one of the founders, they sort of did.
Verification needed of course.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1024692-Poll-Buying-back-the-Escapist?page=2#24147391

Sadly, it seems they too have trouble contacting Defy.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1024692-Poll-Buying-back-the-Escapist?page=2#24149955

Vendor-Lazarus:

If one can trust a new account that shares the name of one of the founders, they sort of did.
Verification needed of course.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1024692-Poll-Buying-back-the-Escapist?page=2#24147391

Sadly, it seems they too have trouble contacting Defy.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1024692-Poll-Buying-back-the-Escapist?page=2#24149955

"So our plan would be to buy The Escapist, see who is recognized as the 'leaders' in the community, hopefully bring back some of the staff, and see where we can invest to continue growing it larger and producing more content/features."

Uh... that's gonna go well. Someone really should warn them.

I guess they've tried the number ("What is this 'e-male' you speak of?") on http://defymedia.com/contact-us/ and nobody picked up. That's a shocker.

Funnily enough, The Escapist is not listed under "Our Brands", alongside "Gurl" and "Prank It Fwd", whatever the hell those are.

StatusNil:

Susan Arendt:

Then we clean the FUCK out of this place. Scorched earth, motherfuckers. I honestly don't understand why you're not already doing that. If this is YOUR site now, then make the community you WANT.

Haven't your crew scorched enough earth already? "Gaming culture" is a burned-out warzone now, and for what? Nathan Greyson's casting couch privileges? The mad respect you "gamejournos" will be basking in once you deliver the medium to the status of High Art enjoyed by sternly didactic East German children's programming circa 1978? And where will it ever end?

Yeah, what this place really needs is the return of the fascist cosplayer whose predilection for sexual degradation led him to marry his long-lost twin sister to hector us on what to feel. And obviously the sadly undiagnosed MoonBatman who goes on gleefully genocidal rants over his waking nightmares of self-created stereotypes ripping off his basement-dweller lifestyle. Presumably, it's hard to tell with all the foam.

NEXT!

JoJo:

With this sad news, though, comes an opportunity. The moderation team has been granted a number of powers to keep the site running. The new community-run Escapist will be looking for your input on how the site operates, and for volunteers in creating content. We may even look into adjusting the Code of Conduct, if that is possible with the tools we've been given.

Neo-NeoGAF, with content salvaged from Leigh Alexander's pit of discarded wine boxes? Yeah, no.

NEXT!

Vendor-Lazarus:
Enthusiast Gaming Owned.

They pitched? Clearly, the only offer that has any chance of making things work here. But they'd have to get the lay of the land carefully, so they can watch out for the encroaching darkness... and bring a vision other than "third-rate Kotaku-NeoGaf hybrid".

Any other takers?

Thank you for channeling Jebidiah Atkinson. I just popped in to wonder why there were 17 pages of comments. Now, I am wondering why I am still visiting this site.

NEXT!

StatusNil:
"Gaming culture"

lol

Andy Chalk:

StatusNil:
"Gaming culture"

lol

Indeed, but hardly up to the standards you'd expect from a "Wordmeister".

StatusNil:

Haven't your crew scorched enough earth already?

your still here so obviously not.

StatusNil:

Andy Chalk:

StatusNil:
"Gaming culture"

lol

Indeed, but hardly up to the standards you'd expect from a "Wordmeister".

A work of art isn't perfect when there's nothing left to add; it's perfect when there's nothing left to take away.

StatusNil:

"So our plan would be to buy The Escapist, see who is recognized as the 'leaders' in the community, hopefully bring back some of the staff, and see where we can invest to continue growing it larger and producing more content/features."

Uh... that's gonna go well. Someone really should warn them.

I guess they've tried the number ("What is this 'e-male' you speak of?") on http://defymedia.com/contact-us/ and nobody picked up. That's a shocker.

Funnily enough, The Escapist is not listed under "Our Brands", alongside "Gurl" and "Prank It Fwd", whatever the hell those are.

Your rantings about "gaming culture" and Gamergate aside, I'd like to ask you: what do you think is happening here? And by that I mean, why do you think the Escapist is crumbling? Are you in the camp that believes the Escapist wasn't actually pro-GG and if it had been, everything would have been peachy? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm also curious, since you have a lot to say about what will NOT work to save this site, what you think can actually be done to help it.

Exley97:

Your rantings about "gaming culture" and Gamergate aside, I'd like to ask you: what do you think is happening here? And by that I mean, why do you think the Escapist is crumbling? Are you in the camp that believes the Escapist wasn't actually pro-GG and if it had been, everything would have been peachy? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm also curious, since you have a lot to say about what will NOT work to save this site, what you think can actually be done to help it.

Oh yeah, I'm the one that has been ranting about "gaming culture" for the past half a decade at least, that must be why I always put it in mocking scare quotes. I'm very concerned about the status of this medium as a middlebrow Art substitute, you see. Will somebody please think of the adults who want to stroke their chins at elegant symposia on games, instead of indulging in some kind of tawdry escapism or "gameplay"?

Anyway, I think The Escapist is crumbling because it has no money and no staff. This is partly because of the general collapse of "games journalism", the enthusiast press that hates its own audience and wants to trade it for a new, trendy one. So the audience has moved on. Then there is the parent company that obviously doesn't believe in investing in its properties, chronic bad management and lack of revenue. The customary supporting interlinking of the game journo clique dried up when The Escapist disobeyed the Party Line about "teh Hate Movement!" and got blacklisted, so there is nobody directing random traffic here, and all the regulars got the freebie PubClub that eliminated all the ads and any incentive to pay for a subscription, apparently as one giant act of sabotage by the tech guys who were laid off when Defy closed the East Coast office after the Editor-in-Chief moved to Seattle because his wife (and former "General Manager" of this site) got a job at Wizards of the Coast. Oh yeah, and then there were the forum wars, because some people feel entitled to exist in a hive mind everywhere they go. That about cover the basics?

The Escapist was never "pro-GG", Alexander Macris arguably was, but he didn't set a "pro-GG" editorial policy. Rather, the site tried to do the right thing and allow discussion while deliberately ignoring the controversy after the initial rush job of an article trying to show an alternative perspective by Macris. You know, escapism instead of pseudo-political posturing. The rest of the staff never broached the subject in a favorable light in any content I can remember. Hell, Bob "Exterminate the Subhumans!" Chipman was a regular contributor for months during the intense initial phase, until his constant unhinged social media hate screeds against the site's audience were deemed beyond the pale.

Sadly, the petty tyrants of the games media and their followers proved too bitter and twisted to allow such brazen rising above their little culture war, so they kept undermining The Escapist throughout, feeding malicious gossip to the industry through their established networks. No doubt one day many details will emerge. So actually yeah, in retrospect it might have been a more financially viable strategy to just hoist the Jolly Vivian and go full #GG, since that's what the site was painted as anyway. Might as well have attracted a partisan crowd. Not that that was what I would have preferred, since I didn't get into this for personal amusement. I just wanted to enjoy my freaking video games.

What I think can be done is a reboot, followed by ignoring the fuck out of this culture war and its conceited post-adolescent authors in the gutter press, all with new people at the helm. The content could be about... hmmm... maybe games of some sort? Get this, approached as potentially cool and enjoyable things, not as a checklist of micro-oppressions to be censured. That's the kind of novel idea that could revitalize this old place. And of course keep the forums compliant with Chapter II of On Liberty, with standards of conduct based on civility instead of flavor of opinion.

this shit is GOLD

StatusNil:
snip

Okay. Two follow-up questions.

First, you wrote the site is collapsing because it has no money and no staff and it's partly because everyone hates game journalism. Fine. But then why are Gamasutra and Kotaku and other DeepFreeze-banned sites like that still around, and the Escapist (DeepFreeze approved!) which you say "tried to do the right thing," is on its death bed? Surely you don't think it's just because some sites won't link to Escapist content. So what is it? If GG is so huge and the anti-PC, get-politics-out-of-my-games crowd is even bigger, then....what happened?

Second, if producing editorial content and interviewing GG participants like Roguestar and other 4chan creeps and hiring GG supporters as staff members was, in your mind, "never pro-GG" then what would have been? What *should* Macris and the site have done?

oh no

Exley97:

First, you wrote the site is collapsing because it has no money and no staff and it's partly because everyone hates game journalism. Fine. But then why are Gamasutra and Kotaku and other DeepFreeze-banned sites like that still around, and the Escapist (DeepFreeze approved!) which you say "tried to do the right thing," is on its death bed? Surely you don't think it's just because some sites won't link to Escapist content. So what is it? If GG is so huge and the anti-PC, get-politics-out-of-my-games crowd is even bigger, then....what happened?

Gamasutra is just a part of the infrastructure of UBM plc. (TIL it was founded by David Lloyd George a century ago) that publishes mostly community blogs along with job listings. It certainly wouldn't be profitable as a standalone "games journalism" site. Kotaku... who knows what the real numbers are, those are a shifty lot over there. It might help a little to have a media empire that can invest real money to back them, and of course serious search engine optimization experience, so that when you search for a game, Kotaku will pop up in the top results. Defy Media doesn't appear to be in the same league at all.

Of course a lot of the other GJP sites are suffering, you just picked special cases for your argument. Rolling Stone's "Glixel" thing started downsizing right out of the gate, Destruction was just bailed out by those Enthusiast people who were considering snapping up this site as well, and so on.

As to what happened, I never suggested that "GG" is "so huge" in terms of the entire gaming public, as most people don't even care one way or the other and are not regular readers of any website. But the thing is that The Escapist didn't try to appeal to "GG" in any specific way, aside from that one article in 2014. They didn't write about it, they didn't tame the vociferous GamerHaters on the forums, nothing. By "doing the right thing" I meant exactly that: they were trying to put the whole thing into perspective and rise above it. Unfortunately, that left "GG" lukewarm and tolerant rather than motivated to follow the site. And they just produced nowhere near enough actual gaming content to attract the apolitical crowd. And some of the content we had here was cosplay and things like that. It boggles the mind, as the writer in question was capable of covering games as well as most "journos" at least.

Exley97:
Second, if producing editorial content and interviewing GG participants like Roguestar and other 4chan creeps and hiring GG supporters as staff members was, in your mind, "never pro-GG" then what would have been? What *should* Macris and the site have done?

Doesn't it ever strike you as a somewhat warped perspective that not unpersoning people because some cliquesters connected them to some other people on their giant "Muh Enemies" chart even needs defending? Like I already said, they were employing Jim Sterling and Bob Chipman as well, and one of them left own their own accord (I thanked God when he did, naturally). Also, do you go to Kotaku to complain about the NeoGAF creeps? Or the Something Awful creeps infesting games media?

Anyway, as I said, at the time I believed they did what they should have done, which is to get out of the controversy. Maybe I was wrong. But if you mean "what should they have done to be considered 'pro-GG'?", well duh. They should have covered the damn thing for a start. Criticized the false narrative. Exposed collusion. Given voice to the actually silenced and misrepresented people. That kind of stuff.

StatusNil:

Exley97:

Gamasutra is just a part of the infrastructure of UBM plc. (TIL it was founded by David Lloyd George a century ago) that publishes mostly community blogs along with job listings. It certainly wouldn't be profitable as a standalone "games journalism" site. Kotaku... who knows what the real numbers are, those are a shifty lot over there. It might help a little to have a media empire that can invest real money to back them, and of course serious search engine optimization experience, so that when you search for a game, Kotaku will pop up in the top results. Defy Media doesn't appear to be in the same league at all.

I see. So UBM, which has layed off people by the hundreds over the last decade-plus and closed or sold off many publications and had a major round of layoffs in 2015 on the heels of the GG advertiser boycotts, just decided to sh*tcan most of its editorial operations but decided to hang on to Gamasutra even though, as you say, it's not profitablel? Are you serious?

As for Kotaku, are you actually arguing that it's using some sort of SEO voodoo, and THAT is why it's still around?

StatusNil:
Of course a lot of the other GJP sites are suffering, you just picked special cases for your argument. Rolling Stone's "Glixel" thing started downsizing right out of the gate, Destruction was just bailed out by those Enthusiast people who were considering snapping up this site as well, and so on.

No. I picked the two most obvious GG targets, and the two sites that were most frequently complained about by GGers. They are not special cases. I was told by GGers in this forum, repeatedly since the summer of 2014, that those two sites were in serious decline and would crash and burn as a result of their offending transgressions and GG's boycotts. And yet they are still around. THAT is why I chose them.

StatusNil:
As to what happened, I never suggested that "GG" is "so huge" in terms of the entire gaming public, as most people don't even care one way or the other and are not regular readers of any website. But the thing is that The Escapist didn't try to appeal to "GG" in any specific way, aside from that one article in 2014. They didn't write about it, they didn't tame the vociferous GamerHaters on the forums, nothing. By "doing the right thing" I meant exactly that: they were trying to put the whole thing into perspective and rise above it. Unfortunately, that left "GG" lukewarm and tolerant rather than motivated to follow the site. And they just produced nowhere near enough actual gaming content to attract the apolitical crowd. And some of the content we had here was cosplay and things like that. It boggles the mind, as the writer in question was capable of covering games as well as most "journos" at least.

I think you are in serious, serious denial about just how much this site did to appease and attract GamerGaters. I doubt folks

And also, by "tame the vociferous GamerGaters on the forums," I can't help but think that's at least a partial reference to me. Nicely done.

StatusNil:

Exley97:

Doesn't it ever strike you as a somewhat warped perspective that not unpersoning people because some cliquesters connected them to some other people on their giant "Muh Enemies" chart even needs defending? Like I already said, they were employing Jim Sterling and Bob Chipman as well, and one of them left own their own accord (I thanked God when he did, naturally). Also, do you go to Kotaku to complain about the NeoGAF creeps? Or the Something Awful creeps infesting games media?

Anyway, as I said, at the time I believed they did what they should have done, which is to get out of the controversy. Maybe I was wrong. But if you mean "what should they have done to be considered 'pro-GG'?", well duh. They should have covered the damn thing for a start. Criticized the false narrative. Exposed collusion. Given voice to the actually silenced and misrepresented people. That kind of stuff.

I'm confused. You said at the time that the Escapist should NOT get involved with GamerGate? As in, stay out of the whole thing?

And by giving a voice to the silenced, do you mean stuff like this?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergateinterviews/12397-Brad-Wardell-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12400-Daniel-Vavra-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12402-Kyle-McConaughey-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12384-Xbro-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12393-Roo-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12399-Scion-GamerGate-Interview

Exley97:

I see. So UBM, which has layed off people by the hundreds over the last decade-plus and closed or sold off many publications and had a major round of layoffs in 2015 on the heels of the GG advertiser boycotts, just decided to sh*tcan most of its editorial operations but decided to hang on to Gamasutra even though, as you say, it's not profitablel? Are you serious?

I am. Businesses adjust their focus all the time, which includes selling assets and letting employees go. Now, Gamasutra is tied to the whole GDC business with industry events and networking, and I'm not aware of there being all that much competition in that niche. So maybe they want to hold onto that, nothing unusual there. And, as we have discussed, most of their content is "Featured Blogs" by community members.

Exley97:
As for Kotaku, are you actually arguing that it's using some sort of SEO voodoo, and THAT is why it's still around?

Among other factors. Dunno if they still do it, but the Gawker organization were notorious for their habitual crosslinking across their properties to direct stray clicks and, even more importantly, to improve the search ranking of their content. So you'd get Kotaku links not only on the main Gawker site, but even Deadspin would post some half-assed blog about those bad gamers and link to Kotaku, "cuz sports!" apparently. And it's not like they lack boosting partners on select "competing" sites either, though obviously they can't share the benefits equally.

Plus you can take Kotaku out of Gawker, but it's far from certain you can take Gawker out of Kotaku. I wouldn't put defrauding advertisers with bot traffic past some of those people.

Exley97:

I think you are in serious, serious denial about just how much this site did to appease and attract GamerGaters. I doubt folks

Hey, I doubt folks a lot too. But again, why would you think treating normal, law-abiding people who just happen to complain about real problems with the media as human beings instead of some subhuman pestilence is some extraordinary measure of solicitude? It's normal, and the fact that you don't recognize it as such might be something to worry about.

With those being the standards in your circles, are you even allowed to be talking to the likes of me? Or would you get in trouble with your Allies if they found out?

Exley97:

And also, by "tame the vociferous GamerGaters on the forums," I can't help but think that's at least a partial reference to me. Nicely done.

If you like. I've seen worse than you, though.

Exley97:

I'm confused. You said at the time that the Escapist should NOT get involved with GamerGate? As in, stay out of the whole thing?

And by giving a voice to the silenced, do you mean stuff like this?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergateinterviews/12397-Brad-Wardell-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12400-Daniel-Vavra-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12402-Kyle-McConaughey-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12384-Xbro-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12393-Roo-GamerGate-Interview
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/gamergate-interviews/12399-Scion-GamerGate-Interview

Yes, I supported their editorial policy of staying out of it, including not taking sides on the forums or banning any opinions that were presented in a civil manner.

And yes, I mean something like that for starters. That of course is the one feature by Mr. Macris I mentioned, divided into separate interviews for reasons perhaps possible to divine.

There's some solace in the fact that most Escapist alumni are doing great nowadays. The turn-of-the-decade Escapist was fertile soil for today's talent, but its strengths were video production - something we want consolidated on a single platform nowadays, not sectioned off on individual sites.

It has had a good legacy, but the thought of Susan Arendt, Russ Pitts, the LRR and EC crews, Gavin Dunne, Jim, Bob and Yahtzee banding together to save the site... Well, honestly, they're all so much better off without it. The Escapist is reaping what Alexander Macris sowed; judging by some of the posters here, they wouldn't have it any other way. I'm sorry for the loyal community members, seemingly determined to keep the life support on, in memoriam of the days when The Escapist had a freakin' expo, but I can't help but feel a bit vindicated.

I stopped coming after the summer of 2014. And I always thought, "If the Escapist actually starts prospering with this new 'audience', I'll have to admit that what's happening in gaming is more than just an upwelling of conservative hysteria." Thankfully, that wasn't the case, but I almost feel the site should stay like this - a grisly reminder of what happens when you invite nerddom's shameful underbelly to populate your fora.

QuiteEnjoyed2016:
Incidentally, I doubt you could give that Bob chap his Big Picture back, I believe he imploded in a cloud of pompous sanctimony live on a video and now just sits quivering in an ice cave, wracked with manufactured guilt that every film doesn't just have an all African, all refugee, all female cast siting in semi-darkness, mumbling in serbo-croat, as tears streak their faces, about the enduring sins of the West and how they must all atone.

I seem to recall Bob had a personal youtube channel whose videos not-infrequently reached 100K+ views, and he's been doing regular MovieBob Reviews for Geek.com for a while now. He's been doing about as well as Jim or LRR. Impressive for an imploded person.

I especially appreciate you characterizing serbo-croat speakers as if we were some kind of bedraggled 3rd-world radicals.

I especially appreciate you characterizing serbo-croat speakers as if we were some kind of bedraggled 3rd-world radicals.

Boy this thread is going places.

StatusNil:
snip

1. If you think that UBM or any legacy media organization (IDG, Ziff, etc.) holds on to unprofitable, failing media properties, in this day and age of declining ad revenue and hyper competitiveness, for no good reason then you're sorely mistaken.
2. Oh my gosh -- Gawker properties LINKED TO ONE ANOTHER??? Stop the presses!!!! What you're describing isn't SEO voodoo or unethical linking practices. It's standard procedure. And it's not the reason Kotaku is successful. You're reaching. And also, you and others have thrown out the smear that Kotaku uses bots to boost traffic -- but like others, you don't have any evidence of this, and you never did. You're grasping at straws in depseration to explain why a site you hate is still around.
3. You can go back over my posting history here to see, as you probably already know, that I've said repeatedly that the gaming industry and gaming press have serious, deep-rooted problems. I've never once argued the opposite. Regardless, I don't see what that has to do with your denial of how much this site did to embrace GG. (I'll come back to this at the end)
4. I'm sure you have seen worse. And I'm sure you've probably tried hard to get the "GamerHaters" out of here. Free speech and all that. But anytime you want to compare track records here, you just let me know. And anytime you want to know who I am, just DM and I extend the same agreement to you that I've presented to other folks here. Then you can dig up all the nasty, abusive, ban-worthy things you *think* I've written here and send them to my employer in the hopes of getting me canned.
5. So you're still arguing you wanted the Escapist to stay out of the whole thing? And you're posting history will back this up? I want to be clear about what you're arguing here. And you're arguing that once they did start to direcvtly write about GamerGate, your feeling was that the site didn't go far enough/do enough to support it? Is this correct?

And finally, I'll be blunt: I think you, as with other diehard GGers, are unwilling or unable to consider the idea that the Escapist's position on Gamergate is at least partially responsible for where the site is today.

Exley97:

1. If you think that UBM or any legacy media organization (IDG, Ziff, etc.) holds on to unprofitable, failing media properties, in this day and age of declining ad revenue and hyper competitiveness, for no good reason then you're sorely mistaken.
2. Oh my gosh -- Gawker properties LINKED TO ONE ANOTHER??? Stop the presses!!!! What you're describing isn't SEO voodoo or unethical linking practices. It's standard procedure. And it's not the reason Kotaku is successful. You're reaching. And also, you and others have thrown out the smear that Kotaku uses bots to boost traffic -- but like others, you don't have any evidence of this, and you never did. You're grasping at straws in depseration to explain why a site you hate is still around.
3. You can go back over my posting history here to see, as you probably already know, that I've said repeatedly that the gaming industry and gaming press have serious, deep-rooted problems. I've never once argued the opposite. Regardless, I don't see what that has to do with your denial of how much this site did to embrace GG. (I'll come back to this at the end)
4. I'm sure you have seen worse. And I'm sure you've probably tried hard to get the "GamerHaters" out of here. Free speech and all that. But anytime you want to compare track records here, you just let me know. And anytime you want to know who I am, just DM and I extend the same agreement to you that I've presented to other folks here. Then you can dig up all the nasty, abusive, ban-worthy things you *think* I've written here and send them to my employer in the hopes of getting me canned.
5. So you're still arguing you wanted the Escapist to stay out of the whole thing? And you're posting history will back this up? I want to be clear about what you're arguing here. And you're arguing that once they did start to direcvtly write about GamerGate, your feeling was that the site didn't go far enough/do enough to support it? Is this correct?

And finally, I'll be blunt: I think you, as with other diehard GGers, are unwilling or unable to consider the idea that the Escapist's position on Gamergate is at least partially responsible for where the site is today.

1. Unprofitable networking and community building properties directly serving their GDC event business, which I believe could be one of them "good reasons". I also suspect the likes of Ubisoft forums aren't making a great profit out of third party ads, yet they persist.

2. Yeah, standard SEO & clickbaiting procedure. Because why shouldn't sports sites and the like involve themselves in gaming-related Internet controversies, right? And if you're so against "throwing out smears", why don't you take that noble cause up with Kotaku? At least I said it wouldn't surprise me if they did that, which is far, far more benefit of the doubt they ever gave those they smear on no evidence. But I guess that's OK if you're a Professional, instead of an anonymous rando on a failing forum.

3. Yes, yes, "deep problems" over there, everybody look that way! Certainly nothing to see on Kotaku's casting couch!

4. I'd much rather see them grow out of it rather than getting banned, and how are they going to do that in some echo chamber? But obviously flagrantly abusive baiting to get people I like banned is not something I'm going to ignore without reporting it. Once the nastiest ringleaders were banned, I haven't really reported many non-spam posts, not even direct insults to me. Nor have I ever called for any bans based on which side of an issue anyone falls.

Also, I don't think anything you've posted here would be grounds to "get you canned". I'll have a look at your published work if you'd like to, though, see if it lives up to those darn ethical standards. One thing I do believe is worth firing a journalist over is publishing false, malicious narratives as factual reporting, so if you haven't, you should be good.

5. No, you misunderstand. When The Escapist announced their editorial policy of staying out of the controversy, I supported that. That was well after the attempt by Macris to report another side of the story. If I'm not mistaken, Joshua Vanderwall announced it when he took over as EiC. Feel free to look it up, I should be on record agreeing.

What I'm saying is that had they decided to be "pro-GG", they should have done way, way, way more to cover the issues. But they didn't, except on that one occasion, and Greg Tito was promptly called to a dressing down by Alex Lifschiz, because apparently everyone is answerable to this noteworthy luminary.

Finally, you don't have to announce you're going to be blunt, all I've ever seen from you defenders of corruption and juvenile totalitarian fantasies is blunt. Dunno if I'm a "diehard GGer", as I've never Twittered the hashtag, posted on a chan or KiA (though I guess I should start, what with the way this site seems to be going). And I've never sent anyone threats of violence either, if you'd like to air that canard yet again. I'm just some person who was rudely woken to a great concern about the way the games media, and apparently the whole damn world, was being pushed. But surely I've considered The Escapist brought it on themselves by going out dressed the way they wanted, instead of the proper uniform. Then I decided it's not fair to blame the victim.

AzrealMaximillion:

dateryu:
Welp, time to replace that escapist bookmark with destructoid and keep an eye out for when Yahtzee does a Jim Sterling.

Dtoid isn't doing so hot these days either. If anything he could just go straight YouTube unless Polygon or IGN wants to cut the cheque.

Gaming websites are just not doing so hot, and that's been going on for about 5 years now.

Because the creators realized they could go directly to the viewers.

Best thing about the Escapist going under is getting to see Susan's scathing responses to the people trying to have a go at her. Who knows, if there's more of this I might start coming back here more often.

Oh dear, what a show. Well, I'd say we had a good run, but the last few years felt like The Escapist being a walking corpse with no redeeming qualities. I stopped coming here on the regular and checked in every now and then to see how the community was doing, and it was always without fail disappointing.

This used to be my videogame home away from home. And it can't even have the dignity to die when its time has come. But I'll come back every now and then until it closes down for good. I envy the patience of the mod team to pour work into this site after all this time.

General Twinkletoes:
Wow. Haven't been here for years. I used to really love this place until it went to shit around gamergate.

Same here, I used to love and comment on this site, but since the gamer-gate thing I only see the occasional Zero punctuation. I don't even have a "side" in the whole issue never have had.

It is unfortunate that the site hasn't been able to keep itself afloat from the whole controversy. I have fond memories of the content here, but everything except Yahtzee seemed to be sucked into gamergate and the general cultural upheaval that is going on.

Holy hell, I haven't been here in ages.
This is really sad to hear though, this place used to be like a second home for me. I really hope you you guys can stay afloat, the forums were always the best part of the site for me anyway so I'm sure you'll be fine.

A lot of names on the list of moderators I recognise from back in the day though... congratulations on your modhood, whenever that was!

(edit: tfw quote in the post above yours basically says the same thing)

Edit 2: Oh okay, this thread is a shitshow. I'm gonna crawl away again.

To all of those saying "Oh going full GamerGate ran the site into the ground" it's not nearly that insidious or badass. I WISH the site was brought down by some kind of anti-GG conspiracy that funneled away all of our viewers, and that all of our content creators were fired because they TOOK A STAND against GG and THE MAN canned them.

The truth, as always, is about money. Some people left because they thought they could get paid more elsewhere, some people were fired because the parent company didn't think they were worth the cost, and ultimately funds were funneled away from the site because our parent company didn't think it made enough money (probably true).

Steven Bogos:
To all of those saying "Oh going full GamerGate ran the site into the ground" it's not nearly that insidious or badass. I WISH the site was brought down by some kind of anti-GG conspiracy that funneled away all of our viewers, and that all of our content creators were fired because they TOOK A STAND against GG and THE MAN canned them.

Ha, still pushing conspiracy nonsense? If you walk into a pub full of abusive people and feel it's not worth your time to stay doesn't mean you are conspiring with every other person who has and will make that same choice.

We watched the website pander to GG, many gave this site the benefit of the doubt until it went too far. Had the site not bend over backwards to support GG may not be in a better position, but it wouldn't have poisoned the well.

Steven Bogos:

The truth, as always, is about money. Some people left because they thought they could get paid more elsewhere, some people were fired because the parent company didn't think they were worth the cost, and ultimately funds were funneled away from the site because our parent company didn't think it made enough money (probably true).

That's assuming the esteemed Parent Company even recalls ever owning The Escapist. Which, judging by the absence of any mention of this site on their website, Twitter profile etc., might not be the case. Then again, maybe they just wrote it off as a loss not worthy of any of the investment monies they raised a while back.

Be that as it may, they're evidently thinking about selling the whole company off at a discount:

"Defy Media, the parent of online outlets like Smosh, Screen Junkies and Made Man, is considering a sale almost two years after raising $70 million in a funding round led by Wellington Management Co., according to a person with knowledge of the matter who asked not to be identified because the deliberations are private.

The company, which is based in New York, is in a much stronger position than Mashable, which once sought as much as $300 million but now appears ready to accept much less. Defy produces 75 regularly scheduled programs for television and online, and is working with major media partners including Viacom Inc.'s Comedy Central."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-17/mashable-sale-talks-signal-reckoning-for-digital-media-upstarts

Now there's a sweet deal for Ms. Arendt & co., all that digital estate to scorch! It's enough to get anyone's Justice Sense tingling like one of the milder STDs.

Still, a "much stronger position" than good ol' Mashable. So, maybe Defy are not quite ready to accept "much less" than $300 million. I guess our prospective scorchers have to get their Patreons ready.

I volunteer as tribute!

I can talk about games. You want someone to do random blog posts about adventures in Final Fantasy XIV? A column on Eorzea fashion? I'd be all over it.

Im not sure if this is the right thread to ask but i could not find a thread talking about it. It appears the messaging system has been severely culled. Group notifications and quote responses dissapeared. Is this going to get fixed or is this the new way things are going to work?

Huh. Been a long time since I popped in here. Honestly I'm more surprised that my last post was in 2016, I thought I'd been gone longer than that.

Kinda sad the Escapist is failing but eh, saw it coming around the time Extra Credits and LLR dropped.

Semes:

Steven Bogos:

Ha, still pushing conspiracy nonsense? If you walk into a pub full of abusive people and feel it's not worth your time to stay doesn't mean you are conspiring with every other person who has and will make that same choice.

We watched the website pander to GG, many gave this site the benefit of the doubt until it went too far. Had the site not bend over backwards to support GG may not be in a better position, but it wouldn't have poisoned the well.

Literally the second part of his post stated that the reason why he believes Escapist actually failed is because they canned creators who they deemed not bringing in enough cash and the ones who DO bring in the cash left to greener pastures because Patreon is a lot more beneficial to them.
The post you Cherry picked to reply to was a joke.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here