An Open Letter to The Escapist Community

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Im not sure if this is the right thread to ask but i could not find a thread talking about it. It appears the messaging system has been severely culled. Group notifications and quote responses dissapeared. Is this going to get fixed or is this the new way things are going to work?

Huh. Been a long time since I popped in here. Honestly I'm more surprised that my last post was in 2016, I thought I'd been gone longer than that.

Kinda sad the Escapist is failing but eh, saw it coming around the time Extra Credits and LLR dropped.

Semes:

Steven Bogos:
To all of those saying "Oh going full GamerGate ran the site into the ground" it's not nearly that insidious or badass. I WISH the site was brought down by some kind of anti-GG conspiracy that funneled away all of our viewers, and that all of our content creators were fired because they TOOK A STAND against GG and THE MAN canned them.

Ha, still pushing conspiracy nonsense? If you walk into a pub full of abusive people and feel it's not worth your time to stay doesn't mean you are conspiring with every other person who has and will make that same choice.

We watched the website pander to GG, many gave this site the benefit of the doubt until it went too far. Had the site not bend over backwards to support GG may not be in a better position, but it wouldn't have poisoned the well.

Literally the second part of his post stated that the reason why he believes Escapist actually failed is because they canned creators who they deemed not bringing in enough cash and the ones who DO bring in the cash left to greener pastures because Patreon is a lot more beneficial to them.
The post you Cherry picked to reply to was a joke.

Strazdas:
Im not sure if this is the right thread to ask but i could not find a thread talking about it. It appears the messaging system has been severely culled. Group notifications and quote responses dissapeared. Is this going to get fixed or is this the new way things are going to work?

I have not noticed anything like that but frankly, if it's a Tech thing, it is very very very unlikely to be fixed.

That's not something we have any access to and even if we did, I doubt any of us would know what to do about it.

Hahahaha how the fuck does this even happen?
How do you lose ALL of your paid staff like this?
Like, why the fuck did all the people leave in the first place? Why did no one stop them? No cash?

Padwolf:
I volunteer as tribute!

I can talk about games. You want someone to do random blog posts about adventures in Final Fantasy XIV? A column on Eorzea fashion? I'd be all over it.

Sounds good! If you haven't already seen it, you can pitch anything here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/contact

Understandably, things may be a little slow over the holiday period, we are only volunteers after-all. :-)

TheYeIIowDucK:
Hahahaha how the fuck does this even happen?
How do you lose ALL of your paid staff like this?
Like, why the fuck did all the people leave in the first place? Why did no one stop them? No cash?

No one wanted to work here anymore. After it had became a mouth piece for harassing, far right scum people left this place in droves.

tippy2k2:

Strazdas:

I have not noticed anything like that but frankly, if it's a Tech thing, it is very very very unlikely to be fixed.

That's not something we have any access to and even if we did, I doubt any of us would know what to do about it.

So you are telling me that the missing message categories are on my side. Im posting a screenshot of what i am seeing, notice how comment replies and groups are missing:

https://i.imgur.com/ZIfyv2X.png

Strazdas:

tippy2k2:

Strazdas:

So you are telling me that the missing message categories are on my side. Im posting a screenshot of what i am seeing, notice how comment replies and groups are missing:

On my end I still have quoted notifications as well as a group listed on my drop down

Theory - you manually deleted all messages in your quoted/group folders resulting in the folders being removed from the inbox which means they no longer display on the drop down & you currently have Quote Notifications set to off

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/forum_options

Strazdas:

tippy2k2:

Strazdas:

What Gauche said right above me as I also have all my notifications and whatnot working with no issues (Chrome).

If that does not work, plug-ins can interfere with them so if you're running plug-ins, try to disable them and see if it works or in a different browser. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that a plug-in is blocking it.

Gauche:

On my end I still have quoted notifications as well as a group listed on my drop down

Theory - you manually deleted all messages in your quoted/group folders resulting in the folders being removed from the inbox which means they no longer display on the drop down & you currently have Quote Notifications set to off

I never delete quote notifications and i did not alter the settings, i just found myself with those missing. Thank you for confirming this is on my end, though. However i checked and indeed the settings became off for some reason, so i guess if the system somehow wiped all notifications i suppose thats possible (doesnt explain group notifications, though). I would appreciate if you were to quote me to test this.

tippy2k2:

What Gauche said right above me as I also have all my notifications and whatnot working with no issues (Chrome).

If that does not work, plug-ins can interfere with them so if you're running plug-ins, try to disable them and see if it works or in a different browser. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that a plug-in is blocking it.

I am normally using Firefox, i trued logging in with IE that is used for nothing but my works internal website because they didnt program it right for other browsers and have the same issue. Same goes for Firefox Safe Mode (all addons disabled and default settings). However Gauche did lead me to notice the noifications got disabled on thier own somehow, so id appreciate a test now that i reenabled them.

Strazdas:

Gauche:

I never delete quote notifications and i did not alter the settings, i just found myself with those missing. Thank you for confirming this is on my end, though. However i checked and indeed the settings became off for some reason, so i guess if the system somehow wiped all notifications i suppose thats possible (doesnt explain group notifications, though). I would appreciate if you were to quote me to test this.

Quoted as requested

Gauche:
[quote="Strazdas" post="6.1024592.24166226"]
Quoted as requested

The category appeared now, thank you. Got no idea how the settings got reset and all previuos messages deleted. I guess the ghost of Kross doesnt like me.

So this is the end huh? Feels like yesterday I started lurking. Then signed up a while after. Good times, bad times, this site's had em all.

EDIT: And my pic is gone :( I thought i updated it after the free pup club.

Qizx:
So this is the end huh? Feels like yesterday I started lurking. Then signed up a while after. Good times, bad times, this site's had em all.

This may of been it

Gauche:

Qizx:

This may of been it

That is indeed my picture! Thank you kindly, now when this place does finally go into the sunset, I'll go the way I came.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here