An Open Letter to The Escapist Community

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 18 NEXT

Wow. Haven't been here for years. I used to really love this place until it went to shit around gamergate. What ever happened to TopazFusion? I remember he got especially targeted around then. Crazy to see so many familiar names and faces still here in this thread (I dunno where my avatar went though.)

I admire your guy's passion. Hope the site sticks around

EDIT: Jojo and Fappy as mods, Caramel Frappe as staff? What a time to be alive.

shrekfan246:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Those were some good times, man. I still think about the Expo often and I still have the lanyard too.

Hang on a second...

There we go!

I still find it so weird I managed to hang out with Daystar (and some other Brits) twice in one year. Life's full of surprises.

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

Hey! :D

General Twinkletoes:
Wow. Haven't been here for years. I used to really love this place until it went to shit around gamergate. What ever happened to TopazFusion? I remember he got especially targeted around then. Crazy to see so many familiar names and faces still here in this thread (I dunno where my avatar went though.)

I'm sure that now you've mentioned his name, someone will come and tell you what happened. :p
But basically, he's gone and no longer active on this site.

General Twinkletoes:
Wow. Haven't been here for years. I used to really love this place until it went to shit around gamergate. What ever happened to TopazFusion?

He got caught abusing his powers to harass people in the Gamergate group and was demodded.

Turns out they were right, I guess.

gigastar:

Slanzinger:

The Lunatic:

98 posts, big part of the forum were you?

Perhaps not. Some of us don't judge our sense of self-worth on having a five-digit post count on a single account. /shrug

But... you *do* realise there used to be more to this site than just the forum, right?

So how about instead of just bitching about certain contributors you explain why you dont want to see them return.

Either you're replying to the wrong person or you've completely caught the wrong end of my meaning. There's nothing I would like more than to see this place turned back over to the "old guard" (their willingness permitting, considering they've mostly moved on in a big way by now)

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

*gasps*

Nerd Queen of the Rocking Corgi!!! We've missed you so very, very much!

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

Uh, had a slight system malfunction. But, uh, everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?

gigastar:

NewClassic:
And if they want to review something to which they don't have access--like a game that hasn't been released yet...

Ok one thing i will say is that one practice i think should absolutely be abandoned is review copies. Another persistent issue with games journalists at large is that theyre not really consumers, as they not in a position to be paying for what they review. And from a community contributors standpoint, something i would write a review for is something i was passionate enough about to have invested in.

And all the time when i parse through through Steam reviews for a new game i always see people who think a game is not worth full price at release even if their review is a positive one.

There is no way to mitigate this while being a professional or even semi-professional reviewer. The second doing reviews becomes part of your routine, your purchasing decisions shift and you no longer represent the average consumer in that regard. Games just become a cost you bear in order to do business. Only courting reviews from people "invested" in a given game is a one-way-ticket to everything gets 9/10 town.

shrekfan246:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Those were some good times, man. I still think about the Expo often and I still have the lanyard too.

Hang on a second...

There we go!

That little thing got around.

The Rogue Wolf:

shrekfan246:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Hang on a second...

There we go!

Daystar was there in spirit if not in person.

The Rogue Wolf:

shrekfan246:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Hang on a second...

There we go!

I'm honestly surprised that it became a thing considering I just did it for funsies. XD

I still laugh at this picture since it looks like he's sneaking in to get my pizza.

General Twinkletoes:

I admire your guy's passion. Hope the site sticks around

EDIT: Jojo and Fappy as mods, Caramel Frappe as staff? What a time to be alive.

He no longer exists. He's been erased. All posts deleted. (At his own request, GamerGate was a rough time for the site)

And here:

I really, really wish I could think of something to pitch, but unfortunately I'm not a creative-writing sort. I could offer some technical knowledge, being a professional web dev, but I understand you don't have access anyway so I would likely be of little use there too.

It does occur that we might reach out to some past creators to start posting their content here again, on the no-pay-but-patreon-allowed basis. For most of them they have literally nothing to lose by doing so, as they're still making content anyway. Marter has done so already, but others could too. Garwulf, EDA, LRR, GameTheory, that chap who made those crayon drawings (which I enjoyed but I can't remember his name), also there was that slow burn comic about someone stuck in a VR world that only managed to run to the end of its first chapter - I'd love to see a continuation of that, and would sub a patreon too.

As to "oh but it means evil Defy gets teh monies from adverts!!1!".... no it doesn't. I havn't seen an ad on this site in months. Even the sponsored posts have stopped. I'm pretty sure the only place Escapist gets any money from now is Yahtzee on YT. Potentially if we make a go of this then ads might start running again, but then we've got some leverage - if we don't like some dictat from Defy, we simply threaten to stop the content, and thus the ad revenue dries up again. No matter how bad they are, it cannot possibly be in their interests to let the money dry up.

OT: I know its not the purpose of the topic, so perhaps some people could PM me about it, but I honestly never understood what GamerGate was, or how it affected the Escapist - what the issue was, what the two sides were, etc. To me it just seemed like a lot of shouting and a lot of people being fired / banned / leaving.

The Lunatic:

General Twinkletoes:
Wow. Haven't been here for years. I used to really love this place until it went to shit around gamergate. What ever happened to TopazFusion?

He got caught abusing his powers to harass people in the Gamergate group and was demodded.

Turns out they were right, I guess.

Not getting rid of GamerGaters the second they infested this site is one of the reasons the site is dead now.

I never got a reply or anything said regarding helping to provide content via streaming or producing lets plays as content for the site. Money is no issue to me as I always did it to have fun with others.

I may lurk most times but that happened around the time WW was made and they removed the box with current threads in it but I would like to help keep this site alive. I already lost one site this year and I don't want to loose a 2nd.

Its also pretty cool to see all kinds of older people from back when the site was at its prime here :D

Veldie:
I never got a reply or anything said regarding helping to provide content via streaming or producing lets plays as content for the site. Money is no issue to me as I always did it to have fun with others.

I may lurk most times but that happened around the time WW was made and they removed the box with current threads in it but I would like to help keep this site alive. I already lost one site this year and I don't want to loose a 2nd.

Its also pretty cool to see all kinds of older people from back when the site was at its prime here :D

Try this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/6.1024592.24145262

I'm looking to help out in the same way with video content, and I was directed to pitch at the email listed in the Submissions Contact Page.

Fiz_The_Toaster:

The Rogue Wolf:

shrekfan246:

Hang on a second...

There we go!

I'm honestly surprised that it became a thing considering I just did it for funsies. XD

I still laugh at this picture since it looks like he's sneaking in to get my pizza.

Daystar always was a little scamp.

The Lunatic:

lacktheknack:
Looking at who doesn't want the return of Susan, getting Susan back and chasing out the people fussing about her would be my number one wish from a genie.

The Rogue Wolf:

Given the choice of getting her back or keeping you two? I think I'll take her.

Exactly my point, we have people who care more about winning internet fights than keeping the website alive.

You're funny.

This website was more vibrant and alive while Susan was here than it's ever been since she left.

So, anyone think they'd be interested if I wrote stuff on how modern game engines and rendering techniques work? Maybe other mechanisms of how game development happens as well?

I work on this stuff basically every day, and I see lots of people wanting to learn how that kinda thing works, so I'm curious if people think that'd be worth doing articles or "articles" on.

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

So what I've learned here is that Vendor-Lazarus and The Lunatic are seemingly some of the trashgoblins who've destroyed The Escapist.
Good to know.

Either that or they're WILDLY delusional and have no idea how much more fantastic it was when Russ and Susan ran the place than at any other time.

Ieyke:
So what I've learned here is that Vendor-Lazarus and The Lunatic are seemingly some of the trashgoblins who've destroyed The Escapist.
Good to know.

Them and the rest of their Gamergater ilk, yes.

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

Hullo.

You are missed. Some of us remember how good it used to be and who was in charge at the time.

gigastar:
Ok one thing i will say is that one practice i think should absolutely be abandoned is review copies. Another persistent issue with games journalists at large is that theyre not really consumers, as they not in a position to be paying for what they review. And from a community contributors standpoint, something i would write a review for is something i was passionate enough about to have invested in.

I'm going to focus on another tack, one similar to what The Wooster took. Specifically, I'm going to say that no one has any idea what anyone's value of a dollar is. No one. Your value for dollar is going to be vastly different from mine, and mine will be vastly different from whichever post came before this one, and whichever one will follow it.

Which means, as a reviewer, it isn't my job to care about whether or not something is "worth the money." Because, to me, there is almost no game worth $60. I just can't spare that kind of money when it could rightfully go to groceries, or give me more hours of enjoyment if I hold onto it for a month and get games on sale. But for someone who makes $80,000 a year, like an engineer, maybe $600 isn't too big a cost, if it means getting the extra deluxe statuette edition. Maybe getting a $6,000 computer to run the newest game at the highest possible specs on 4K resolutions is exactly the sort of value-for-dollar they're looking for out of Far Crysis: Call of Grounds, or whatever title I'm reviewing that week.

As a reviewer, both those like myself and those like the fictional engineer are my audience. It's not my work to tell them what their dollar is worth. If anyone expects me to, they're also expecting me to shave off potential audience in case they somehow fit a magical average than any given reviewer holds in their head.

As a reviewer, then, it's my job to not just offer my opinions, but how I got to them. Yes, Firewatch was an absolutely beautiful experience that kept me feeling indulgent throughout the four hours of campaign, and yes, I'd be willing to recommend people also have that experience. No, I can't tell you if it's worth the cost of admission, because I don't know your wallet this week, this month, or how it will look the next sale. I can tell you that it's beautiful, but short. If that's worth it to you, cool, make a judgment call. For some people, they'd spend three times the cost of that game on a single meal, for others, it might be their newest piece of entertainment for the rest of the year. If they read my review and figure that's for them, then they've already answered the question of whether or not it's worth their money. I couldn't have.

As long as you feel like critics are beholden to a fictional consumer, then I can't imagine how any review would please you. No one is ever going to define a consumer assessment perfectly enough to match everyone's theoretical standard, but them making calls about whether or not something works well can lead every discerning reader in the right direction.

Besides, fans rarely read reviews to find out if they'll love a game. Most will buy it anyway, and read reviews to find out if they'll tolerate the reviewer.

Steve the Pocket:
Oh, and someone else I'd add to the list: Shamus Young, who was let go just this past year. He still runs his own blog, alongside some other folks who until recently were also part of a Let's Play show with him called Spoiler Warning (they still are; he's not; I don't know the specifics of that). One of those people, Campster, also has his own show called Errant Signal, which you might be familiar with and which feels very much like old-school-Escapist material.

Shamus and Josh had a disagreement about forum moderation, which ended up being the last straw in a long chain of disagreements. I enjoyed Shamus on there, but I understand the reasons why what happened happened.

Finding this link took time I didn't really have (about to go to work) but it explains why they split like they did: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=38217

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

Yay! ^__^

Red Sentinel:

The Lunatic:

lacktheknack:
Looking at who doesn't want the return of Susan, getting Susan back and chasing out the people fussing about her would be my number one wish from a genie.

The Rogue Wolf:

Given the choice of getting her back or keeping you two? I think I'll take her.

Exactly my point, we have people who care more about winning internet fights than keeping the website alive.

You're funny.

This website was more vibrant and alive while Susan was here than it's ever been since she left.

Agreed. That was the time it was my second bookmark whenever I opened my browser, and now I just visit for the new ZP every week because there's literally nothing else here to consume.

Sassafrass:

I'm sure that now you've mentioned his name, someone will come and tell you what happened. :p
But basically, he's gone and no longer active on this site.

Yikes, you're right. A can of worms probably best left unopened.

Drathnoxis:
snip

Thanks!

Anyway, gonna echo everyone else. This site was fantastic under Susan and the rest of the staff back then. There used to be so many reasons to come. A forum that was kept nice by strict moderation, and actual content other than ZP. Grey, MoS, Jimquisition, Extra Credits, and moviebob all on one site.

I don't know if there's any serious interest from them about buying back/creating some other community, but I'd absolutely be on board.

How about this? Effective tomorrow, anyone who even so much as mentions Gamergate or Gamergaters again even one more time gets a $100 fine and maybe even jail time.

Accusations of Gamergate affiliation will be met with a $200 fine to the accusing party.

Fappy:

Fiz_The_Toaster:

Good times at those conventions. I wasn't even old enough to drink :p

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

You might not remember me at all but I recall you complimenting my Adam Jensen cosplay at EE 2012. Just something that sticks to mind

Happy to see a familiar face from way back when :)

Arnoxthe1:
How about this? Effective tomorrow, anyone who even so much as mentions Gamergate or Gamergaters again even one more time gets a $100 fine and maybe even jail time.

Accusations of Gamergate affiliation will be met with a $200 fine to the accusing party.

Is Gamergate (shit, $100 poorer) still a thing? Or people just enjoy living in the past?

Lets face it we have a bad reputation because the previous owner joined gamer-gate and alt right.

Maybe someone like Movie bob or Feminist Frequency to buying the site and restoring the old guard would improve our reputation and bring back some of the old users. either way water is rising fast and if don't do any thing we will drown.

Wintermute:
Is Gamergate (shit, $100 poorer) still a thing? Or people just enjoy living in the past?

I don't even know, but either way, it's not relevant to this site anymore and people are just opening up rifts in the community by bringing it up constantly.

Arnoxthe1:

Wintermute:

I don't even know, but either way, it's not relevant to this site anymore and people are just opening up rifts in the community by bringing it up constantly.

It gets brought up constantly because gamergate's presence on this site, and this site's steady decline, coincide with one another. So naturally people are going to make the connection and lay blame.

Susan Arendt:
Oh, hey, hi.

So...what's new?

Andy Chalk:

How I feel:

Oh my... Andy, Grey and Susan all coming out of the woodwork for this thread? Nostalgia comes flooding back... :D

nickpy:
As to "oh but it means evil Defy gets teh monies from adverts!!1!".... no it doesn't. I havn't seen an ad on this site in months. Even the sponsored posts have stopped.

...Huh. I was all ready to point out that it's because you, like almost everyone else, had been grandfathered into the pub club, but... I opened the home page in a private window just now to check and holy crap you're right. That said, I am getting these little pop-ups at the bottom of the screen, at least on the forums. To anyone who didn't get a free pub-club upgrade, are the "spot check" captchas gone too? That was one of the most infuriating things to me, running ads and then making you parrot them back in order to have the right to speak. Like something out of a goddamned cyberpunk dystopia.

scorn the biomage:
Lets face it we have a bad reputation because the previous owner joined gamer-gate and alt right.

"Previous" owner? His name is still listed on the staff page. Is this outdated information?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 18 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here