Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 5

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Good review.
And like most other people commenting who arent leaving a message purely to quote something said in the review itself like parrots with ADHD, im going to leave my opinion.
Its a good game. Its resi 4 with a new outfit. I couldn't care less about the inventory system,it works well enough and actually leaves you with a challenge (once you had the large case in Resi 4 you were pretty much set, providing you could actually aim).
If you liked resi 4, buy it. If you don't, keep it to yourself.

While I did love the game (3rd 1000/1000, WOO!), I agree with Sheva's love of the handgun at the start but if you instead gave her a rifle, she's an incredibly good shot. And I always found it curious why your melee and bulletproof armor are in your inventory

bjj hero:

ElTigreNegro:

bjj hero:
Cracked me up. I hate RE games with a passion, I didnt play 4 but I downloaded the demo hoping things had improved... OH... DEAR...

Controls were shit, cant move and shoot, very bad but could be explained, your aiming I guess. Cant move with a knife drawn. WTF?

I guess you just suck at aiming, go back to play Gears of War if you just want to run and shoot aimlessly.

Actually, once I figured out only head shots count the demo was easy. I said the controls were shit, not the aiming. Theres no good reason not to be able to move and shoot and no excuse not to be able to move and use the knife.

I dont play GOW, prefer CoD 4 myself. Its not "aimless" shooting if there is an enemy on the recieving end of the bullets. I guess moving and shooting would be too much for you, one thing at a time...

I argue, firing while moving (or at least aimming while moving) should be a game mechanic. I've heard people argue that it is 'unrealistic'. But Chris Redfield is a tank of a man, surely he can easily fire a gun while walking.

It is impossible to please the fanboys, everytime I suggest a change in gameplay they scream about it turning into Gears of War. When I said they you should be able to fire and move but with a large recoil (making it a tough choice between standing and firing well-placed shots or moving backwards but with less accuracy) I was still accused of trying to pervent their beloved franchise (when in reality I'm just trying to fix one of its major flaws).

Excellent review, One of the funniest of '09! xD

Spawn_Of_Kyuss:
Triple-c*nted hooker strikes again.

Hip, Hip, Hooray for the triple-cunted hooker!

P.S. Let me quote Yahtzee here: "By the way, it's alright, you can swear on the internet, your mum probably isn't going to read it. I know, because she's too busy beng fucked. By ME."

Another great weekly dose of hilarity... though the though struck me that while I do agree with most of what Zero Punctuation goes on about in the gaming industry... the lack of good games has really left me quite amazed. The most consistent theme in ZP reviews are unimaginative games designed without any real thought put into the fun 'game' part. I may not be the most serious gamer but I find in surprising that there has yet to really be a title that I was actually excited about.
I've actually found some of the really simple games more entertaining... starcraft, deus ex, freelancer... moon lander.

i'm sorry i always had respect for you but now i have come to the conclusion that ur shit at gaming... Really the inventory is no problem at all and the AI of Sheva isn't as bad as you say, she hardly ever used a pistol with me. Right when you began with saying that RE1 was shit i knew that this was going wrong. Sorry i liked every review of you but this one made me believe that you are not good at gaming...at all.

LMFAO. HEY YATZEE, GOT SOMETHING THAT MIGHT INTEREST YA! HEHEHEHEHEEE

It was hilarious and not overdone with hatred, a good balance that left a fan like myself laughing and not complaining.

Supposedly they are re-inventing the series again next game. We will see....

Alright. Let's see...Four pages and half of the posts are just pointless praizeing by the Yahtzee sheep. Now let's see what can I say bout this review. Well, for once it's not funny in any way, the jokes are just 'meh', and the witty remarks are mostly "Yeah, you said that before" (if any of you Yahztee sheep wanna blead on me saying I'm wrong, then fuck you.), now the bad jokes/writty analogies aside, the review itselfe wasn't much. I mean alot of people already said RE5 felt like RE4, but cut down, so bassicly Yahtzee didn' say anythin' new, and just what already has been said. Also brining the racist thing, I wanted to mention this durin' the 50Cent game, but fuck it, I'll say it now. I don't know if Yahtzee is just a moron, or did he skip logic, but whenever you defend yourselfe/excuse sayin' your not racist. It mostly ends up backwards, plus Yahtzee kinda showed on how much his 'not racist' by tossin' racial jokes left and right. If he wasn' racist as he claimed as he was, he woulden' have defended himselfe.

Noone got banned at the start of the thread;
natural selection works.

I was hoping this would be reviewed.
Right on. You have summed up my hatred of the inventory system brilliantly.

I'm really glad I'm not the only person who thinks RE4 is better than RE5. That Sheva chick is god awful, truly. Ashley was much better. Even if she didn't necessarily help you out a lot you could just stuff her in a dumpster until the danger was gone and then bring her back out. Sheva is just *too* damn "helpful". I once loaded a new area to have her run off somewhere, come running back, yell at the top of her lungs "ARE YOU OK??!!1" and then spray me in the face with first aid spray when I was a little over half health.

I was playing this game with a friend who had never played RE4, and the entire time I was rambiling on about how RE4 did everything RE5 did, but better.

Seriously, everything that's wrong with RE5 was something they did right in RE4, but had to change in order to fit co-op into the game or to please the fans who were crying for the change and really should have just shut up.

For example, in RE4, you had to pause to change weapons or heal or fiddle around a bit to pick up that cool new gun you just found but have no room for.

This meant that you were always right in the thick of the action, but people complained because it meant that you were taken out of the action while you sorted items.

In RE5, it's all realtime, so if you have to do some invintory managment, you have to RUN AWAY FROM THE ACTION, praying you don't die while you mix herbs or equip that sixth gernade that takes up its own spot and when you use it your unarmed all of a sudden.

So now, instead of always being in the action, which is what people want, you have to run and hide, which is what people wanted.

And that's just one example, I could name a dozen other things that they did right by RE4 but changed for RE5 and made it a worse game for it.

"Capcom aren't bad people, they're just idiots."

No argument here. If you plan on playing alone you'd be better off getting punched in the dick....repeatedly.

At least that way you'll get the same experience without losing $60 and hours of your life.

SatansBestBuddy:
I was playing this game with a friend who had never played RE4, and the entire time I was rambiling on about how RE4 did everything RE5 did, but better.

Seriously, everything that's wrong with RE5 was something they did right in RE4, but had to change in order to fit co-op into the game or to please the fans who were crying for the change and really should have just shut up.

For example, in RE4, you had to pause to change weapons or heal or fiddle around a bit to pick up that cool new gun you just found but have no room for.

This meant that you were always right in the thick of the action, but people complained because it meant that you were taken out of the action while you sorted items.

In RE5, it's all realtime, so if you have to do some invintory managment, you have to RUN AWAY FROM THE ACTION, praying you don't die while you mix herbs or equip that sixth gernade that takes up its own spot and when you use it your unarmed all of a sudden.

So now, instead of always being in the action, which is what people want, you have to run and hide, which is what people wanted.

And that's just one example, I could name a dozen other things that they did right by RE4 but changed for RE5 and made it a worse game for it.

The "Live" aspect of the inventory system isn't that bad. I normally spend free time reorganizing my items so that I'm prepared if the shit starts to fly and I'm not working on dealing with it when there's dozens of Africans in my face. However, the SMALLNESS of the inventory and lack of ease in exchanging items is what's annoying people the most. And the fact that herbs can't be stacked and that ammo has punishingly small capacity (only 50 bullets in 1 gun ammo slot??) only exacerbate the problem.

incal11:
Noone got banned at the start of the thread;
natural selection works.

Uhm, actually in this particular example it was intelligent design by 'Mod'... unfortunately there are no natural predators of internet a$$holes ... I just realized that statement can sooo be used out of context.

Thanks a lot Yahtzee, now my key board is covered in tea, I really have to stop watching Zero Punctuation with a drink in hand.

I miss the merchant too, but I don't think he was a pirate somehow...

Great review.

I'm playing through it right now and I'm having a blast. Sheva was moronic at the beginning, but honestly, if you take her gun away and give her a machine gun and rifle, she's a goddamn monster. I've seen her switch to rifle to pick off manjini from far away (scoring headshots too no less) and then using burst fires when they got close. She's even staggered a couple and ran up to melee, which I thought was awesome. Maybe I'm just lucky that the ai that came with my game is smarter than the average bear.

My only qualm with the inventory is the fact that Chris has a holster designed to hold a pistol, yet it still takes up a slot. Other than that, it does add a certain degree of (albeit artificial) challenge when it comes to deciding if that extra item is truly worth losing a slot.

Oh, and my take on the armor in armor: It takes up a slot because the armor is covering one of their magical pockets

carry armor in a pocket in your armor and capcom arent bad people they are just idiots are both good calls

as always, another good review. two thumbs up.

RE5 wasn't bad. You get a smaller inventory screen, but you also get an nigh infinite storage bin you can access between levels.

What I do hate though is that interesting situation where I have 20 bullets. My partner has 10 bullets. I want those bullets. But both of our inventories are full. I cannot request this ammo because I have no space, and the game won't automatically add the ammo on top of my existing cache.

The partner AI is hockey-helmet, mittens-on-strings retarded. She basically stands around and does nothing while zombies are trying to chew my face off. She wastes ammo constantly, it actually got the point where I took away her guns and gave her a cattle prod and that was it. When she's not doing bugger all, she's usually standing in your way, blocking you from shooting.

So play co-op, either online or offline. You can probably get through amateur mode w/ the AI, but human partners is essential when you get to higher difficulty levels. Thankfully Capcom has done a good job with the online mode so it's not a complete clusterfuck like certain games.

As for armour taking up a space in the inventory, maybe it's not in the inventory just blocking your pockets :P

And so far I am having no major issues with the small inventory. I can go into a level carrying a pistol w/ a full mag, my trusty shotgun, and that is it. I will exit the level with more ammo, healing potions, treasure, and a variety of other junk the game will throw at me. The inventory is not broken, it's just different.

This is especially easy if you beat the game on a lower difficulty first, since your items and and weapons all carry over. Starting on Normal mode with a maxed out handgun and more bullets than God certainly makes things easier.

I think peole are expecting way way way to much out of Sheva. We should always keep in mind she is still just a computer controlled player, how much can the comuter really do? If she did all the work for you it wouldn't be much of a challange. If you play the game with her JUST as a supprot player and don't really expect much outta her things get 10 times better. Now with that said once I went thru the game a few times and unlocked infinite ammo, I gave her a magnum and she never missed a shot, something to be said for "bad" AI.

On top of that, Armour is just Armour. you don't strap on a bullet proof vest and magicly have 10 more pockets. Armour is met to save your life, not carry your shit. Now with that in mind, If you put armour plates over your legs (like in RE5) wouldn't you end up covering a few pockets.....Just sayin'

P.S. For all of you having trouble with the A.I. I wrapped all modes with her, Including pro people need patients. I have played with a lot dumber people online then my computer A.I. If you don't believe me....Redfield2701 on the PSN

Funny as the corner of hell where all the comedians go.
Oddly tickled by the unimpressed yet patient crab, and if a game's ever released where you're healed by your female sidekick wiping your tears with a hanky, I'm buying it. No questions asked.

egg

what's my prize?

L.O.L.

May as well buy a ZP t-shirt...

i actually had hope for RE5. but if the inventory system is THAT bad then i'm not playing it.

yeah i tought that hole retarted thing about inventory was stupit to i mean they could have at least make it so u paused the game when u went into it!!

I loved the 'sort of black' bit!

puchead:
right.......... memory quiz time!!!

Gun, Knife, Nintendo DS(Old Version), Cadbury Creme Egg, Jar Of Branston Pickle, Copy og the Beano, Captain Pickard .....thing, The TARDIS, a purple Dildo

yes, you don't have to say it-I have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy to much time on my hands.

I got the cream egg, switchblade and the DS, but couldn't remember the other 6. didn't even notice the bottom row the first time round.

I know a bit about Resident Evil.

I agree with the fact that Resident Evil 5 has the spark of 4 in there somewhere, but doesn't let it come to fruition because so many wrong ideas have been put in.

However, I disagree with Yahtzee's "Partner" problems, which is apparently the biggest problem he has with the game. His first problem was the fact that Sheva always seemed to resort to the Handgun. So lame!

Here are some ideas, Yathzee:

(1) ditch her Handgun, and she'll have (a) her Machinegun or whatnot at the ready and (b) one extra inventory slot for you! Win win!

(2) If you're a clever player, you'll find out that you can tell Sheva to switch between Cover and Attack Mode. In Cover Mode, she's the lovely Handgun/Sniper Rifle housewife you described, but in Attack Mode, she'll whip out that Machinegun and not heal you that often (and bring out the big herbs when you actually need them - or not hehe :).

The inventory system problems I can relate to but not when one of Yahtzee's complaints is that an Egg is taking a WHOLE inventory slot. They do stack, you know. Five of'em in one slot. Feel immortal with five golden ones at the ready anytime.

With that said, I personally have other gameplay and story related problems with Resident Evil 5. A LOT of them, far too many to list here - I'll be talking about them all in my FAQ, don't worry :). And keep in mind, I've been playing this series fanatically since it all began. I always liked the story, the new game elements/challenges and its twists.

Until now. Resident Evil 5 is a quilt of games and not an attractive, coherent whole because of it. Gameplay wise, I can work around all the issues, but I don't find myself enjoying the game while doing this. I don't like the Boss fights at all - those giant orange glowing globes being the cause, because it feels like an insult to my gaming intellect. They remind me of Lost Planet a lot actually - say, who directed Resident Evil 5 again?

Yep, that's right.

It's not Shinji Mikami. I fear that because he left, a large part of what made Resident Evil so interesting to me left as well. Now we're Takeuchi country, the man who loves giant orange glowing globes, pointless plots and completely forgettable characters (I mean, how many of you out there actually liked Irving and Excella? Not to mention how "important" they are as characters in the story).

Anyway, I'll tell you all here and now that after taking this baby through Professional mode, I am disappointed in Resident Evil 5. Really. This game had such enormous potential, but it has been squandered - the resulting quilt (sans the story) may be nice to look at and to play in most of the parts, but it doesn't leave a lot of lasting impressions (there are some, but quite limited). As a whole, I'd rate this to be a decent, fun romp, but not much more than that.

Takeuchi is talking about a "total reset" for Resident Evil 6. After reading the Files, I fear that I already know what this reset is going to be. And I really hope that they won't do it.

All right, ranted long enough. See you in the FAQ (or not).

For the first time, I agreed with each and every bit of Y's review. No merchant, the nine circles of hell and a copy paste of the first area of RE4. Oh dears. The armor bit had me rolling on the floor but my favorite was the sidestep to fall of the bridged. They really needed to innovate. Coop all the way. Wander how the hobo felt sitting at Y's couch.

This one was really good. The first one (recently) I laughed alot in.

Totally completely awesome funny reveiw! :P

"Capcom arn't bad people, they're just idiots"

I like the way this is put. Any racism in RE5 isn't diliberate, it's just Capcom being retards so there not much to worry about.

Not as mean as usual and more honestly mean. Nice job.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here