Zero Punctuation: Resident Evil 5

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Once again; right on the money.
What Yahtzee did fail to mention was that not only does the AI choice of weapon usage seem a bit bewildering at the best, but her aiming seem a bit, well, suspect as well. Through the course of the game, and I haven't completed it yet, I have ended up with about 15,000 bullets being fired "accidentally" in my muscular back by my partner. Maybe she was a bit piss*d for being kept on a tight ammo allowances, but as a highly trained agent she ought to have learned that shooting the only other person in the country that does not want your brain for nutrition purposes is not a good survival strategy.

This is what I don't get. He talks about a "realistic depiction" of Africa, then gets mad about the "mud huts and villages". News Flash! They still have that stuff in Africa! There are still tribes of people living that way, and its not freaking racist! That would be like saying a level in an Amish Village would be racist against white people... Give me a freaking break!

Let me just say that if anyone has ever played Resident Evil Zero, 1, 2, and 3..you will know that many WHITE people get killed. White is a race people, should that not be racists? Of course not because apparently white people do not have racial slurs and other races can be racist to them without fear of being racist. The only idiots here is not Capcom, it is society itself. They are so easy to jump on racism if a black man dies, but when a white person dies it is not racist even if it was a racial attack.

Also there are white people in Africa. They are mostly in southern Africa, but then the games doesn't really specify where the game takes place in Africa.

Anyway, I can see why Capcom went backwards in the inventory system, but it doesn't mean it was a good idea. Reduce if you must OR allow us to add spaces to it by way of upgrade. Maybe add a space for a cost.

I did have more fun with Resident Evil 4, then I did RE5. "What are ya' buyin?"
Armor should not take a space up in your inventory. That is ridiculous. I wear armor. I don't lug it around.

One last thing, why is everyone so bitchy about not being able to shoot and walk at the same time? As I recall not one Resident Evil game did this. So I don't get people all of a sudden now think that walking and shooting at the same time were a part of it.

Judithia:

Treblaine:

On topic though, love the review, I think Yahtzee just saved me 40 quid ($60) and definitely won't get this game without a rental.

I would rent it before you say you don't want to buy it.

Its good to try things out for your self instead of just listening to a critic.

well, Ok, thanks for giving me my own advice on renting this game.

I know that when I said I "won't get this game WITHOUT a rental" is a double-negative but to clarify that means that I WILL rent this game before I consider buying it. But there is nothing about this game that really appeals to me and all the reviews and user feedback seem to be saying the same.

Come back Shinji Mikami, Capcom is NOTHING without you!!!!

How exactly is someone "a bit" black? *glares at Yahtzee*

"Never attribute to malice what can be equally attributed to stupidity." I never realized Hanlon's Razor applied so much to video games as well before watching these reviews.

Not quite as funny as some of the more recent ones, but I have to admit, the idea of desperate, terrified flight from one's own support character made me laugh out loud.

I wasn't suprised when he reveiwed this game. While I won't be picking up this game (for my own reasons, not because of Yahtzee) the reveiw was great. It actually made me laugh.

Brockyman:
This is what I don't get. He talks about a "realistic depiction" of Africa, then gets mad about the "mud huts and villages". News Flash! They still have that stuff in Africa! There are still tribes of people living that way, and its not freaking racist! That would be like saying a level in an Amish Village would be racist against white people... Give me a freaking break!

What Yahtzee meant by that was people originally thought the setting of RE5 was racist. He commented on how Capcom made great efforts to deny this racism in that setting. However when they switched from the setting of the developing nation instead to mud hut villages all this effort went to waste as people instantly perceive black people living in mud huts as stereotypical and racist.

The running away from your partner part, EPIC LOLZ!!!

wow this is my first response EVER on a yahtzee vid. and i have seen EVERY vid he has made....... that being said...... i'm totaly gay for yahtzee's reviews....... amazing.... and this one almost made me p my pants...... best review yet.... that being said i LOVE RE5..... know almost everything about the series....... and this review was spot on..... it was exactly what was wrong with the game..... which is what a review should be :), cause i don't want to know what was good about the game... i wanna decide that:)

Atleast now I know that I don't have to waste any money on this chunk of graphics, I can just dig out my Gamecube.

Good review, I think Yahtzee actually focused on the game more than he has in a while, and it was quite amusing.

I too cry for the disappearance of the oh so lovable awesome accented merchant.

Really wish the forums had a delete button.

stiver:
Resident Evil 2 is still the best game in the series.

110% agrea with this statement. It was also the most scaries. Have not playied not sence I felt 4 was got so much over hype for CC butchered game. Was not expecting 5 to be this super awsome game. Sadly RE is dead like SH is dead. Funny it seems horror games alway hit thier peak at the 2nd game. Yahtzee made me thing of RE5 sound like it was the outbreak with a plot. Lol with the 4 perso co op zombie survile bonus for beating the game. You might as well play CoD WaW for nazi zombies.

Did anyone else get the hooker joke? I feel so damn proud that I got the history geek hooker joke.

James Cassidy:
Let me just say that if anyone has ever played Resident Evil Zero, 1, 2, and 3..you will know that many WHITE people get killed. White is a race people, should that not be racists? Of course not because apparently white people do not have racial slurs and other races can be racist to them without fear of being racist. The only idiots here is not Capcom, it is society itself. They are so easy to jump on racism if a black man dies, but when a white person dies it is not racist even if it was a racial attack.

Also there are white people in Africa. They are mostly in southern Africa, but then the games doesn't really specify where the game takes place in Africa.

You forgot the part that this game is made by the Japaness. Bet you anything they will have RE 6 in like china or something just for more itiots to bitch about. It so funny even saying the racist stuff as if they have forgot the game made by the Japaness.

Treblaine:

Judithia:

Treblaine:

On topic though, love the review, I think Yahtzee just saved me 40 quid ($60) and definitely won't get this game without a rental.

I would rent it before you say you don't want to buy it.

Its good to try things out for your self instead of just listening to a critic.

well, Ok, thanks for giving me my own advice on renting this game.

I know that when I said I "won't get this game WITHOUT a rental" is a double-negative but to clarify that means that I WILL rent this game before I consider buying it. But there is nothing about this game that really appeals to me and all the reviews and user feedback seem to be saying the same.

Come back Shinji Mikami, Capcom is NOTHING without you!!!!

Cool your jets.

Lukirre:
Atleast now I know that I don't have to waste any money on this chunk of graphics, I can just dig out my Gamecube.

Good review, I think Yahtzee actually focused on the game more than he has in a while, and it was quite amusing.

If you have a friend who enjoyed Resident Evil 4 then 5 is worth it for co-op alone.

But then again co-op makes a mediocre game fantastic in my books.

Brockyman:

Well we know that, I think it was more that they were speaking jibberish and living in mud huts, making them look like savages.

James Cassidy:
Let me just say that if anyone has ever played Resident Evil Zero, 1, 2, and 3..you will know that many WHITE people get killed. White is a race people, should that not be racists? Of course not because apparently white people do not have racial slurs and other races can be racist to them without fear of being racist. The only idiots here is not Capcom, it is society itself.

While I don't really care, I just want to point out that in Resident Evil Zero, 1, 2, and 3 you played a Caucasian lead killing other Caucasians, in Resident Evil 5 you play a Caucasian killing coloured. Not really the same thing there.

"You're carrying your armour in the pocket of your armour!"
Haha didn't even think about it that way! I've gone through the game on all difficulties and never bought armour though, just saw it as a waste of space...

Muahahahaha. That made me laugh so hard:
''You're wearing your armor in a pocket of your armor.''
I'm surprised absolutely nobody noticed that before, I guess we all got used to that sort of stuff that we inevitably end up accepting them.

'' How the hell can someone be (a bit) black''
Because she looks like she's been dipped in tea...

I agreed with absolutely everything said. The game was tons of fun on Co-op, if you just plugged your ears in during cutscenes. I went back and played it by myself and it was horrible. Jesus. Just horrible.

Well thats my enthusiasm for this game crushed. So far the only really worthwile game to sow up this year has been downloadable.

Well I thought it was an enjoyable romp through a zombie wasteland. Until I had to start over thanks to a bug. Then it was "look how awesome my pimped-out starting pistol is."

Indigo_Dingo:
Well thats my enthusiasm for this game crushed. So far the only really worthwile game to sow up this year has been downloadable.

You must try really hard to hate games.

That or your nostalgia goggles are on far too tight

We will all miss you creepy pirat-sales-man-guy... but you propably couldn't get your'e guns through security in the airport..? :)

Loved it.
Especially the sexist part, for some reason. ("But no, she has to be as tough as all the men. Isn't that cute?")

I kind of thought it was Ak-74 in the game?

Paradox244:
Did anyone else get the hooker joke? I feel so damn proud that I got the history geek hooker joke.

Jack the Ripper, of course. I'd think that was obvious...until I remembered my own historical geekiness.

You know that advert that you have to watch before you can actually play the video? Did anyone understand a word of what was being shouted?

He didn't even mention the quick-time events... Or the instant kill attacks (That don't have a quick-time event to prevent it).

Oh well, still a great review. Loved the part about how armour takes up a space in your inventory.

JPMotion:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA "Capcom aren't bad people. They're just IDIOTS." Good LORD I love Yahtzee :D

He renewed all of my loyalty to him with just that statement over the big, politically-accurate, fuss over the game's setting and then the dev's miserable handling of the issue.
Pity the AI partner didn't work out...was looking forward to a game that finally pulled it off effectively.
Though the case changes here, where they're faulted not for their incredible stupidity, but for their overeager helpfulness and well...average stupidity.

Never terribly well understood the storyline...
Hardly even knew it existed 'till reviewers started praising the GC release of RE4 as the best ever.
From what I've pieced together, the whole thing plays out like a bad comic book, with all the WTF-inspiring plot twists and devices, but with the regrettable air of actually trying to take itself seriously (like KZ2 prior).

I hated the Demo for this game for 3 purposes. Yahtzee hit on two (Inventory and AI), but mostly I hate that you have to aim to f*cking shoot! It pisses me off. I had my shotgun ready to pown Mr. Axe Murderer, then bam, I stab the air, and he hits me in the face.

Two things that fucked me off with this game:

Sheva kept shooting me in the back

I didnt think it was possible to jump on your own band wagon and mess it up.

RE5 feels like a dressed up prostetute of an imitation of RE4, from the stages down to the bosses.

Its cheap and easy and gets you off but doesnt last as long and doesnt feel nearly as satyisfying.

You know what I don't get, and really hate?

How if you have 5 gernades and pick up a sixth, that sixth one with take up it's own slot, and if you use that one gernade, that's it, your out of ammo for gernades, even if you have five more sitting right there.

This wasn't a problem in RE4, how can it be a problem now?

Judithia:

Indigo_Dingo:

You must try really hard to hate games.

That or your nostalgia goggles are on far too tight

The games in question are Flower, Lumines Supernova, Noby Noby Boy, and Savage Moon. I don't ask much of games. Besides, if I had nostalgia goggles I would have liked Street fighter IV. I have no nostalgia goggles to speak of.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here