Thor - Ragnarok - A Hela Good Time (Insert Groan Here)

When i went to see this last week the only objection i could raise to this movie was the choice in licensed music.

My only complaint about the movie was that it wasn't long enough.

GGGRRROOOOOAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!

Probably my least favourite Thor film - I liked Dark World, sue me.

wizzy555:

Watch the spoilers.

I really enjoyed this. I like the progression with hulk and thor, both really well done. I loved Hela. She takes over the screen and is my new crush.

Might be my favourite marvel film since GOTG or Antman.

wizzy555:

I'm of two minds about this. One the one hand, the abundance of humor is well done and makes the movie really fun, and since I loved both Guardians of the Galaxy movies that style of rapid fire humor works for me. On the other hand, it really felt like the people working on it really wanted to make a Guardians of the Galaxy movie instead because the whole thing just smells like a GOTG with Thor characters replacing the actual GOTG. Not to say Thor has never be comedic, Tom Hiddleston's Loki in particular is hilarious in almost every scene he's in, and there are a few quips and jokes here and there when Thor's cast is around, but really aside from Loki it really just doesn't fit Thor characters to constantly fire off jokes and be the receivers and deliverers of physical comedy, the Thor cast in general is much too serious for that to really work for them. I'd say they managed to pull it off for this movie but it's going to be very difficult to keep it up without it looking stupid.

Oh, and Wizzy I'll echo the whole "they really shouldn't have shown Hulk in the trailers" thing, what is with movies giving away the best plot points and moments in the movie during the trailers all the time and killing the impact? I get that they usually use some of the better moments in the movie as hooks in trailers but especially with movies that are generally good there's plenty of non-spoilery moments in the movie they could have used instead. This is the reason I typically avoid watching trailers for anything I actually think I might want to watch.

immortalfrieza:
Oh, and Wizzy I'll echo the whole "they really shouldn't have shown Hulk in the trailers" thing, what is with movies giving away the best plot points and moments in the movie during the trailers all the time and killing the impact?

I saw the movie last Friday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the two previous Thor movies. Seeing that they were pulling a bastardized Planet Hulk storyline in the trailers, was indeed the hook to get me into this one.

Thor's opening conversation with Surtur "I'm not even doing this." and the dragon hammer drop had me reeled in within the first 10 minutes. This movie was incredible fun.

As some people already mention on the web, Ragnarnok was the best among the Thor triliogy in my opinion. It's mainly due to the sci-fi elements to it which is ironic since isn't Thor suppose to be mythologal among the superheroes?

Scarim Coral:
As some people already mention on the web, Ragnarnok was the best among the Thor triliogy in my opinion. It's mainly due to the sci-fi elements to it which is ironic since isn't Thor suppose to be mythologal among the superheroes?

The movies are a mix of regular and Ultimate Marvel and in Ultimate, Thor (and all of Asgard) are high-tech sci-fantasy aliens instead of straight up Norse deities.

immortalfrieza:

wizzy555:

I'm of two minds about this. One the one hand, the abundance of humor is well done and makes the movie really fun, and since I loved both Guardians of the Galaxy movies that style of rapid fire humor works for me. On the other hand, it really felt like the people working on it really wanted to make a Guardians of the Galaxy movie instead because the whole thing just smells like a GOTG with Thor characters replacing the actual GOTG. Not to say Thor has never be comedic, Tom Hiddleston's Loki in particular is hilarious in almost every scene he's in, and there are a few quips and jokes here and there when Thor's cast is around, but really aside from Loki it really just doesn't fit Thor characters to constantly fire off jokes and be the receivers and deliverers of physical comedy, the Thor cast in general is much too serious for that to really work for them. I'd say they managed to pull it off for this movie but it's going to be very difficult to keep it up without it looking stupid.

Yeah... I enjoyed the movie, but it left me a bit unsatisfied, and I think the unwillingness to let more than about a minute go by without a joke was part of that. In a way, it reminded me a bit of something with the main musical theme of "The Lord of the Rings" and how the "Rohan" theme became the more emotionally stirring musical piece for me because they never undercut it with a cheap joke. Whereas the triumphant "Main Theme" got saddled with "Right. Where are we goin'?" (Augh... Shut up, Pippin!), "Rohan" always said "These people are proud, noble, and doomed, but they're going to keep fighting to the end."

It probably didn't help that

Not a bad movie at all. It has a lot of nice visuals, Hela is awesome, many of the jokes land, Tom Hiddleston is always fun, and Cumberbatch's segment made me very happy to see the character again. It just needed to take half a breath to stop winking at and elbowing the audience.

Callate:
It just needed to take half a breath to stop winking at and elbowing the audience.

Thanks Matthew for your thoughts, seems to me that I am gonna spend my hard earned money on this movie. Loved your review!

Meh, saw it last night and it was...okay. The best of the Thor movies, sure, but its way too goofy and too schizophrenic in tone.

I really liked it, it was a ton of fun. Something about it felt lacking however. I'm not sure if it was the tendency to undercut the drama with a joke or bit of slapstick. It might have been the plot itself. Good guys have to stop bad guy (gal), spend 70% of the movie doing sidequests, then stop bad guy (gal). Details aside, it felt a bit like 2 separate movies going on, with the heroes and villains not interacting at all between the beginning and end.

Despite the long term consequences set forth in the conclusion, it felt unnecessary overall. Fun, but kinda pointless.

Silentpony:
Meh, saw it last night and it was...okay. The best of the Thor movies, sure, but its way too goofy and too schizophrenic in tone.

TheVampwizimp:
I really liked it, it was a ton of fun. Something about it felt lacking however. I'm not sure if it was the tendency to undercut the drama with a joke or bit of slapstick. It might have been the plot itself. Good guys have to stop bad guy (gal), spend 70% of the movie doing sidequests, then stop bad guy (gal). Details aside, it felt a bit like 2 separate movies going on, with the heroes and villains not interacting at all between the beginning and end.

Despite the long term consequences set forth in the conclusion, it felt unnecessary overall. Fun, but kinda pointless.

Silentpony:

Silentpony:

TheVampwizimp:

Silentpony:

I actually didn't like this one overall. It seemed it was trying way too hard to be funny at the expense of everything else including characterization and as a result a lot of the jokes felt forced. It WAS funny at parts but it was just too much.

I really liked this movie. It was very funny and interesting movie.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here