GDC 2009: Single vs Multiplayer Game Design

GDC 2009: Single vs Multiplayer Game Design

At GDC 2009, Between indie dev Jason Rohrer ruminates on the old "Games as Art" question, and the differences between single-player games and multiplayer ones.

Read Full Article

Ugh... I hate this viewpoint that developers are starting to take on. Why oh why must games be multiplayer experiences? Multiple people can do just about anything together, that has nothing to do with what makes video games unique.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Ugh... I hate this viewpoint that developers are starting to take on. Why oh why must games be multiplayer experiences? Multiple people can do just about anything together, that has nothing to do with what makes video games unique.

Agreed.
I do not play games to interact with other people most of the time. That is what I do when I am not playing games. I do not want to be forced to play with some idiot I have never met in the flesh and that screams obscenities over a bad microphone in a cracking voice.

I get enough of them elsewhere.

Good on them for rising to the challenge.

Thank god dice didnt' listen to you guys in regard to bf2, i had a blast for 2 years intill i got utterly bored of the game, i can't say i hated having to interact with other people in that game, sure i have to deal with the occasional tard from time to time but they were easily dealt with.

If you don't like like dealing with other players dont buy the game just buy another single self servering package of a game.

Just as there will always be games out there with poor AI, there will always be multiplayer games out there that require zero player interaction(i bet that saves heaps of $development $time weeee), there's already a ton of same old same old multiplayer games out there already, so why be a bitch about some game developers getting creative.

zomg my team mates will steal my points/kills=less points for me!!! wahh

Skyweir:

Agreed.
I do not play games to interact with other people most of the time. That is what I do when I am not playing games. I do not want to be forced to play with some idiot I have never met in the flesh and that screams obscenities over a bad microphone in a cracking voice.

I get enough of them elsewhere.

My sentiment exactly, I use games to AVOID those imbecilic timewasters, not to play with them.

What I love about games is the immersive quality and the story. I don't care if it's the far-reaching multiple pathway story of say Fallout 3, or the linear progression of Call of Duty 4. I just enjoy the feeling that I am in a fantasy world living my own experience and the idea of having that being taken away as some 14-year old with bad hygiene and worse spelling tells me "U r teh suck! I rape yo moma azz" fills me with dread.

A good game should focus entirely on it's single-player aspect first and foremost. Then if it's a simple game like a shooter or racer, use the remaining time and space to fit in a multi-player aspect to it. Preferably something other than just a few scrimmage maps. That form of multi-playing sucks.

In other words, multi-playing should never take away from the single-player aspect of the game. Pure multi-player games really should be few and far between. They d have thier place, just as any genre, but they are far from being the only genre and should be treated as such.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here