Zero Punctuation: Doki Doki Literature Club

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Doki Doki Literature Club

This week, Yahtzee reviews Doki Doki Literature Club.

Watch Video

Wow, I was torn between knowing this was probably coming and wondering whether he'd actually go through with it.

Of course he's playing this garbage the one Wednesday I can actually watch the stream.

I can applaud a game being ambitious and doing something different. However, I always take issue of a game intentionally being buggy and have you think that you have computer issues. I remember reading a review of an album where the band intentionally played like the CD was skipping. I thought, well if you are doing that, then I have no reason to buy your crappy album. I had the same reaction when I read about Doki Doki Waifu Club.

I'm with Yahtzee on this one. I couldn't help but stop caring after the first big reveal and while its a neat little idea, being free was probably the best move it could have made.

Johnny Novgorod:
Of course he's playing this garbage the one Wednesday I can actually watch the stream.

Garbage? More like BEST INDIE GAME OF 2017!!!!!!!

I find this game a lot easier to like than Undertale, probably because the fanbase isn't nearly as toxic. Its just a bunch of people enjoying a good in-joke.

Cold Shiny:

Johnny Novgorod:

Garbage? More like BEST INDIE GAME OF 2017!!!!!!!

I find this game a lot easier to like than Undertale, probably because the fanbase isn't nearly as toxic. Its just a bunch of people enjoying a good in-joke.

Undertale at least has gameplay. This, like you said, is nothing but a joke. And not a very good one at that.

I ended up getting spoiled by the Game Theory episode on this, so I kinda already knew what the big twist was. And I still don't have any reason to actually play it, from the sound of it.

MatthewTheDark:
I'm with Yahtzee on this one. I couldn't help but stop caring after the first big reveal and while its a neat little idea, being free was probably the best move it could have made.

See i couldn't even care about them before the suicide. They all act so completely bonkers over-the-top Waifu like it was impossible for me to see them as human, but simply tropes with varying sized tits. Humans don't actually act like Anime shcoolgirls.

This was surprising. At least he admitted that the game was well written in parts.

Of coarse dating sims bore me so I probably would last long enough to get the creepy psychological horror part of this.

Dalisclock:
I ended up getting spoiled by the Game Theory episode on this, so I kinda already knew what the big twist was. And I still don't have any reason to actually play it, from the sound of it.

Hell, they spoiled it with the thumbnail alone. Game Theory is pure cancer and the sooner its creator outs himself as a Nazi or something and gets banned from the entire Internet, the better off we'll all be.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.

So egging Yahtzee on to try a particularly weird game really works? Neat!

Steve the Pocket:
Hell, they spoiled it with the thumbnail alone. Game Theory is pure cancer and the sooner its creator outs himself as a Nazi or something and gets banned from the entire Internet, the better off we'll all be.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.

OK, I understand why people don't like Game Theory but there's actually a WHOLE lot more going on here than just girls slowly being creepy and the game bugging out. You should watch at least the first video of it.

I enjoyed the whole game, but I do feel that where the stuff starts going down was the peak. That said, if the theories are correct and this is leading up to a whole different game that is as interesting as it sounds and good, this will be a pretty awesome way to build up hype for a game.

Also, you definitely have to be able to tolerate anime to enjoy this game, because while there is characterization to each character, there is a thick layer of tropes and clich?s for each one.

Steve the Pocket:

Dalisclock:

They have some interesting ideas but holy shit I hate his smug voice.

Anyway, sounds like its not as good as Undertale or Spec Ops the Line. But, I also got spoiled from the Game Grumps play though, which I went into knowing something would happen.

My only takeaway from this is that "KWAA YOU ACCIDENTALLY NUDGED MY CLITORIS!" made me cry with laughter for a solid 5 minutes.

Cold Shiny:

If the majority of people carried this attitude towards popular media, quoting The Dead Parrot Sketch or anything From the Holy Grail would still result in capital punishment.
It's generally sound not engage with the lowest common denominator of a fandom -- people who base all of their interactions on a single piece of media. Undrtale is well liked by many talented artists and intelligent critics, only most of them somehow don't run around screaming about it on every corner of the internet 24 hours a day? Wiiierd!

Boy January has been pretty brutal. I guess there're options now that it's over, like Subnautica or Dragon Ball.

Cold Shiny:

Your fandom has Trapsuki.

You're in the pit with the rest of us.

I'm surprised he gave it a go. Would like to see him play Katawa Shoujo.

Steve the Pocket:

Don't get me started on those fucking thumbnails. After a point it feels like almost everyone one of them has to have bleeding from the eyes, eyes with small/no pupils or iris', wide open mouths with a worried/shocked expression, or something else that makes you think "Boy something must be fucked up in this vid!" So stupid, I wanna tell their thumbnail artist (Whoever it is) to take a creativity course or two cause shit's played out by now.

Looking into it, this kind of crap became repetitious with the "Pokemon: Friends or VICTIMS?" theory. There was one thumbnail with the above traits before, but it actually fit the video topic a little. Ever since the Pokemon one it's downhill from there

Devieus:
Boy January has been pretty brutal. I guess there're options now that it's over, like Subnautica or Dragon Ball.

Yahtzee mentioned he was playing Subnautica and the new Monster Hunter.

That was surprisingly more positive than what I expected, even if it's still about the same lines as I'd have expected.

I have issues with the game but I find the "free and not that long" to make me more lenient towards it. And it is quite enjoyable. Not being good at horror games, I quite like the low-key scares and I especially love the depression part. It's probably what makes people really like the game - a LOT of people at the subreddit admits some sort of depression or being aware of a mental issues that they are dealing with. I wish there was more of it. Related to that, I would say that the characterization is what makes the game strong - it isn't hard to get attached to any of them, and even with the antagonist, you see where she's coming from and saw her struggle.

My issue is mainly that there are a LOT of loose ends in the story. Sometimes making it feel more like a viral advertisement for Dan Salvato's next game than its own thing.

No, I wasn't ready! When he mentioned the suicide I could hear the music playing in my head D:

I think the suicide was probably the most effective moment, but there was still a lot of interesting ideas in the rest of the game too. And that bit about right clicking Steam is exactly why it should be downloaded off of the developers website. Messing around with the files is much more natural when you've installed the game yourself and opened it from the exe.

Marik2:
I'm surprised he gave it a go. Would like to see him play Katawa Shoujo.

4chan's cripple fucking game: one of the few things actually worse than this trashheap.

I'm disappointed you can't select words for Monika.
Just so you can do this whole thing where you actually select only Monika.
Then just get to the end where Monika feels guilty for you wanting her all along.
And then deletes herself because she can't accept the fact she deleted the others.

Steve the Pocket:
...correct me if I'm wrong, but judging by the thumbnail and title, it sounded like the video consisted of nothing but pointing out the foreshadowing that any idiot could have noticed if they'd just played the game a second time.

Isn't that basically every Game Theory video that isn't just "Illuminati confirmed" style memery? (Peach was a ghost the whoooole tiiiime!)

I've heard about this game... but it's only after this review that I decided to look up a Let's Play of it... and all I can say is... yeesh.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Anyone getting a serious .GIFfany vibe from Monika? Just me?

ReservoirAngel:
My only takeaway from this is that "KWAA YOU ACCIDENTALLY NUDGED MY CLITORIS!" made me cry with laughter for a solid 5 minutes.

I personally liked the "jailbait of anime girls" line. It's a great way to describe a far too large portion of the anime the pump out every year.

I think this is your cue to create an anime-based Chzo game.
The world is ready. Even if you absolutely are not.

CrazyGirl17:
I've heard about this game... but it's only after this review that I decided to look up a Let's Play of it... and all I can say is... yeesh.

You're not the first to say that.

This is the issue I have most of these rug-pull games, like Spec-Ops: The Line, Undertale, and now apparently this; As soon as I realize it's rug-pull game I'm just gonna be focused on the rug and when it's going to get pulled.

Worgen:

Steve the Pocket:

Dalisclock:

They have some interesting ideas but holy shit I hate his smug voice.

Anyway, sounds like its not as good as Undertale or Spec Ops the Line. But, I also got spoiled from the Game Grumps play though, which I went into knowing something would happen.

I don't mind his voice but the For Honor episode was bad, very bad. I remember when he said that vikings don't have farms at home so they need to raid for basic resources. He then comments on how little, if any, upper body clothing they wear.

That was too stupid to be actual history so I looked up some info he was stating and found out that the majority of the video was completely false. I had assumed he would be used to looking up info and researching but that was clearly false.

RaikuFA:

CrazyGirl17:

You're not the first to say that.

Which part? (If the latter, then I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees it.)

daxelkurtz:
I think this is your cue to create an anime-based Chzo game.
The world is ready. Even if you absolutely are not.

...I would so want to see that, if only for Trilby-sempai!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here