Zero Punctuation: A Way Out

A Way Out

Yahtzee reviews A Way Out

Watch Video

"EA Original" Now there's a phrase I won't be able to say with a straight face.

So...what was the twist?

Silentpony:
So...what was the twist?

And you left him in Australia, you monster.

It's funny to think of that one guy's giant nose as inventory space to store items needed to solve puzzles for breaking out of prison.

I hated Principal Bumblecunce. He was always giving me detention.

Eh I liked this game, also am I the only person who always thought Shawshank was an immensely overrated film?

...So it starts by ripping off Shawshank Redemption and ends by ripping off Double Dragon?

A Way Out sounds boring.
Then Yahtzee gets to the part where I want to play Saints Row 2.
Only to remind myself I want to see how bad A Way Out is.

You can't complain about all of the games that force you into sewers for large sections of play and then tell this game to let you crawl through a pipe full of shit for an hour you hypocrite!

Gauche:

Silentpony:
So...what was the twist?

For further elaboration

Had to register an account in order to post something critical about your conundrum:

Yeah, like you really have a girlfriend.

Seth Carter:

For further elaboration

Haven't played the game myself, but from your description it sounds like it might also work if

Like I said, haven't played the game myself, so I don't know if that would make it better or worse. All I know for sure about the game is that I watched the Post-ZP stream, and when they came to the house of the old folks I kept wondering "why did the creators put the 'bumming-around-for-funsies'-part HERE of all places?"

wh173:
Had to register an account in order to post something critical about your conundrum:

He does, actually. They do Let's Play's together on YouTube.

Hmm that twist at the end when you turn on each other reminds me of that one Splinter Cell Game that had a co-op story campaign in addition to it's single player one. One player is an American Agent and the other is a Russian and throughout all the missions you're working together to sneak into locations, take down enemies in sync and complete objectives until the last mission where you are both debriefed separately and are ordered for your final task to kill the other player. What follows is either a tense stalking throughout the rear of a cargo plane as you try to snipe one another with silenced pistols or it becomes a wacky action scene where you run at each other emptying assault rifles and the campaign ends with one of you dead and the other being congratulated.

Nile McMorrow:
Hmm that twist at the end when you turn on each other reminds me of that one Splinter Cell Game that had a co-op story campaign in addition to it's single player one. One player is an American Agent and the other is a Russian and throughout all the missions you're working together to sneak into locations, take down enemies in sync and complete objectives until the last mission where you are both debriefed separately and are ordered for your final task to kill the other player. What follows is either a tense stalking throughout the rear of a cargo plane as you try to snipe one another with silenced pistols or it becomes a wacky action scene where you run at each other emptying assault rifles and the campaign ends with one of you dead and the other being congratulated.

It's Spliter Cell Conviction and it was less "debriefed seperately" and more "send debriefing to the american agent in text and audio, with text being found by russian due him being on the toilet with the text device", making it a slightly different (and hence bit more interesting) way of doing it with still ending up in that PvP fight.

But when Yathzee mentioned that the pure Coop game ends up with a PvP fight with both players against each other, that was the first thing I was thinking of, too: The Coop campaign of Conviction.

I think the 2-player-mode of Streets of Rage 1 or 2 also had that, but that went a bit silly where you were offered to join the main villain and if one agreed and the other disagreed, you fought each other, THEN the lead villain (which doesn't make sense if you agreed to join him) - and THEN take over his job (which then doesn't make sense if you didn't agree)

Mangod:

wh173:

He does, actually. They do Let's Play's together on YouTube.

Too bad you have no sense of humour.

Bindal:

But when Yathzee mentioned that the pure Coop game ends up with a PvP fight with both players against each other, that was the first thing I was thinking of, too: The Coop campaign of Conviction.

Like much of 'A Way Out' the PvP fight is largely a false choice though. You do have the third person shootout, with a couple of cutscenes interrupting to change the scene. But it just leads to a button mashing QTE that ignores any part of the previous scene where both players tap E to try and struggle towards a gun and the winner shoots the other.

[b]Use several hours of your spare time to acquire extra $1000 on your paypal account each week... Get more details on following site>>>

.......... http://Help80.com

darkrage6:
Eh I liked this game, also am I the only person who always thought Shawshank was an immensely overrated film?

I don't think it's possible to overrate something? It's possible to not like something that is widely rated personally I guess.

Seth Carter:

Bindal:

Like much of 'A Way Out' the PvP fight is largely a false choice though. You do have the third person shootout, with a couple of cutscenes interrupting to change the scene. But it just leads to a button mashing QTE that ignores any part of the previous scene where both players tap E to try and struggle towards a gun and the winner shoots the other.

Actually, Conviction is just a straight 1on1 deathmatch - no QTEs, no cutscenes outside of beginning and ending, and with a more logical inclusion of a justification.

Guess Yahtzee thinks middle-aged bank office workers all just come stock with a comprehensive knowledge of firearms handling and ability to calmly and efficiently rob a gas station. Come on man, with how much the story cribs from/homages these sorts of films how did you not see something like that coming.

The way it's revealed is a bit logically suspect sure (good job, boss) but it's kinda obvious that SOMETHING about the guy's not on the level if you've seen at least two crime movies ever.

Seth Carter:

Not at all, the E-tapping difficulty gets scaled by how much remaining health your character has. So if Vincent absolutely trashed Leo during the big gunfight and has a 60% HP lead their player can just lazily tap the button while Leo's mashes like crazy and still win.

Seth Carter:
Why the cops don't just nab Harvey instead of sending two guys in alone.
Why wouldn't Vincent (in my playthrough) just "accidentally" let Leo go if he's that invested.

Mostly because Leo's flipping his shit at the time and letting him go would almost certainly result in him coming back for revenge. Also pretty much all of Vincent's plans involve minimizing panic and damage caused, he's willing to let some bad stuff slide for revenge-boner reasons, but he's still been trying to keep collateral to a minimum the whole time.

Also the FBI can't just send guys to go deal with someone in Mexico, it's outside their jurisdiction and presumably the local government wasn't being cooperative extradition-wise.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here