Zero Punctuation: Far Cry 5

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Far Cry 5

Yahtzee reviews Far Cry 5

Watch Video

So Yahtzee quite liked it? Oh boy finally a game I can download

Osvaldas Daniulis:

Well yah, but bear in mind that all of the ending are a bit of a *MAJOR* pisser. Even more so than the "Stay on the Island Ending" of Far Cry 3, which I find far more upbeat than Far Cry 5's Endings.

Although I am a lonely man, so there could be other reasons why the Island ending is better than what you're left with at the end of 5.

The ending isn't so depressing when you consider that it's likely a hallucination caused by the Bliss.

darkrage6:
The ending isn't so depressing when you consider that it's likely a hallucination caused by the Bliss.

Pretty sure that all endings are what they say they are.

He left out that this is the first game in the whole Far Cry series where you can play as a woman, but

I wonder if Yahtzee moved his Extra Punctuation blog somewhere else, because the endings and what they could mean about using violence to solve anything sounds like a pretty good topic.

Spoiler Concerning Ending of Far Cry 5, don't touch if you don't want to be spoiled.

I actually want to play this game, mostly because I because I will extract great enjoyment wrecking some American shit. I'm not paying $80 though nor am I touching any game with microtransactions.

Canadamus Prime:
I actually want to play this game, mostly because I because I will extract great enjoyment wrecking some American shit. I'm not paying $80 though nor am I touching any game with microtransactions.

Yah, sorry to say it but the people you will be fighting really don't apply to any mold you may be inclined to bear prejudice against. They're just an army of amoral thugs who popped out of plot holes - they could literally be from anywhere.

Rather, you will get to enjoy a backwoods American festival involving testicles. If you think that's weird, please bear in mind that some people in this Great Nation will literally place bets and cheer when cows in front of them take a dump. It's called Cow Bingo. Those are the people you will be helping in this game. You're welcome.

Venatio:

Canadamus Prime:

Yah, sorry to say it but the people you will be fighting really don't apply to any mold you may be inclined to bear prejudice against. They're just an army of amoral thugs who popped out of plot holes - they could literally be from anywhere.

Rather, you will get to enjoy a backwoods American festival involving testicles. If you think that's weird, please bear in mind that some people in this Great Nation will literally place bets and cheer when cows in front of them take a dump. It's called Cow Bingo. Those are the people you will be helping in this game. You're welcome.

As much as I would prefer them to be some right-wing militant extremists, wrecking the shit of some religious whack job cult would still be joyful enough.

Also why doesn't that surprise me?

Canadamus Prime:

Because you're jaded after too much time on the internet. Obviously.

I don't get his "ending" point. Like, yeah, there's an ending, but after that the game still lets you faff around the world to complete side missions you missed. I think he just put the game out of his mind after the ending and didnt realise this...

This isn't like Fallout New Vegas where it's over and done.

Venatio:

Canadamus Prime:

Or that the idea any game would openly declare a group of people 'the enemy' and have you kill them en mass, vigilante style, would cause a shitstorm.
Imagine if FC5 was set in...San Francisco, and the enemies were militant gay people, and your job was to just kill gay people. Or in Israel and jews. Or South Africa and Zulus. Or London and Labor Party.
I'm not saying Trump voters are inherently good, but not all of them are literal home-grown domestic terrorists chomping at the bit to burn their neighbors alive, torture dogs, and carve their skin up Slaanesh style to please what is basically the Bible, Slaanesh version with mutilation, torture, rape, and drugs.

Silentpony:

Venatio:

Canadamus Prime:

Or that the idea any game would openly declare a group of people 'the enemy' and have you kill them en mass, vigilante style, would cause a shitstorm.
Imagine if FC5 was set in...San Francisco, and the enemies were militant gay people, and your job was to just kill gay people. Or in Israel and jews. Or South Africa and Zulus. Or London and Labor Party.
I'm not saying Trump voters are inherently good, but not all of them are literal home-grown domestic terrorists chomping at the bit to burn their neighbors alive, torture dogs, and carve their skin up Slaanesh style to please what is basically the Bible, Slaanesh version with mutilation, torture, rape, and drugs.

We were talking about Cow Bingo.

Venatio:

Silentpony:

Venatio:

We were talking about Cow Bingo.

No, you were talking about Cadamus wanting to kill right wing extremists Americans

His second line was in reference to Cow Bingo from my second line, his first line was referring to my first line correction that he wasn't fighting traditional right wing extremist Americans. Which is something Yahtzee pointed out.

Cadamus' lack of surprise at hearing of the practice known as Cow Bingo was to him a source of wonder, because by all rights most people unaware of this local custom might at first express a measure of distaste. I pointed out that not being surprised by Cow Bingo was due to him being devoid of the ability to express natural shock because of the effect of prolonged internet use. I.e. Jaded.

To wit, I would never dream of making fun of other people's form of entertainment. Especially when it comes from a natural source. Therefore I am not making fun of Cow Bingo. In Far Cry 5 we have the Testical Festival. Which we get to enjoy, while liberating the area from amoral thugs who popped out of plot-holes.

You just quoted the wrong section of our conversation to make your point.

Venatio:
His second line was in reference to Cow Bingo from my second line, his first line was referring to my first line correction that he wasn't fighting traditional right wing extremist Americans. Which is something Yahtzee pointed out.

Cadamus' lack of surprise at hearing of the practice known as Cow Bingo was to him a source of wonder, because by all rights most people unaware of this local custom might at first express a measure of distaste. I pointed out that not being surprised by Cow Bingo was due to him being devoid of the ability to express natural shock because of the effect of prolonged internet use. I.e. Jaded.

To wit, I would never dream of making fun of other people's form of entertainment. Especially when it comes from a natural source. Therefore I am not making fun of Cow Bingo. In Far Cry 5 we have the Testical Festival. Which we get to enjoy, while liberating the area from amoral thugs who popped out of plot-holes.

You just quoted the wrong section of our conversation to make your point.

Ahh, my mistake. I thought the second line about not being surprised was in reference to the nature of the cult! I misunderstood the flow of the conversation, my bad.

As long as you respect Cow Bingo and Testical Festivals, all is well.

Venatio:

Canadamus Prime:

Yeah, that's probably it.

@Silentpony yeah I was going to say that question about my lack of surprise was in reference to the cow bingo, but it seems that's been covered already so never mind.

EDIT: Also my name is CANADAmus Prime. I am not a secret government organization from the DC universe.

Venatio:
As long as you respect Cow Bingo and Testical Festivals, all is well.

The Testical Festival quest was cute but oddly placed. Like here, lets cut off the balls of some bulls and eat them, while our friends are being tortured and mutilated literally just down the road, and then lets all get drunk and pass out, while an evil cult is, again, literally down the road waiting to attack the town.

Would have worked way better as a post-John Seed quest

America is reading, The Fall of the Roman Empire.
Uk is reading, 1984.
Germany is reading the definition of hypocrisy over and over, yet still isn't getting it.

What a time to be alive.

Canadamus Prime:

EDIT: Also my name is CANADAmus Prime. I am not a secret government organization from the DC universe.

That's exactly what a secret Government organization would say...

Silentpony:

Canadamus Prime:

That's exactly what a secret Government organization would say...

Well I'm Canadian so I can't be a secret US government organization organization from the DC Universe.

Canadamus Prime:
SNIP

It just keeps getting deeper...

Silentpony:

Canadamus Prime:
SNIP

It just keeps getting deeper...

Well I'm certainly not from the DC Universe anyway.

Wait- is he saying that having competent NPC allies is a bad thing? I'd much rather have that than the opposite, even at the risk of having my actions trivialised a bit.

Looking back on it, I think the vast majority of Far Cry games have had depressing endings. "You've become too savage a thing to return to Western civilization" is their version of a happy ending.

Onliuge:
America is reading, The Fall of the Roman Empire.
Uk is reading, 1984.
Germany is reading the definition of hypocrisy over and over, yet still isn't getting it.

What a time to be alive.

I've actually considered Romes arc from time to time against America's growth, and while the outlook is depressingly similar, we're still at a place in the timeline where things can either change, or it's so far away from the end of the Republic it won't matter. Because, you see, America hasn't had it's war with it's Carthage yet. That is to say, Russia.

Granted, that is going to be a very bad time to live in as a huge percentage of Romes population died during the Punic wars, particularly once Hannibal got going, and in this case the salting of the earth will probably be replaced with "cleanse in nuclear fire". However I take comfort in the fact we're still within the Republic Period, and while the use of Mob Tactics in politics has taken hold, violence does not yet rule.

Squilookle:
Wait- is he saying that having competent NPC allies is a bad thing? I'd much rather have that than the opposite, even at the risk of having my actions trivialised a bit.

I think he was pointing out how useless it makes the player character feel, and dare I say it, the ludonarrative dissonance.
We're told the cult is super powerful, unstoppable, and that only you the hero can save the day.
Then Bill from the pizza joint and his dog Bongo storm a cult fortress and effortlessly take it back. Makes you wonder why only the hero can save the day, and what everyone else is doing.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW shit, son! Ben just slagged on Trump voters! Guess he's now an SJW games journo. Has Ian and Sargon been alerted yet?!

Venatio:

Osvaldas Daniulis:

Well yah, but bear in mind that all of the ending are a bit of a *MAJOR* pisser. Even more so than the "Stay on the Island Ending" of Far Cry 3, which I find far more upbeat than Far Cry 5's Endings.

Although I am a lonely man, so there could be other reasons why the Island ending is better than what you're left with at the end of 5.

Well the way Yahtzee spoke of the ending is the main reason why I want to play it, I haven't felt anything playing games for a while so maybe that depressing sounding ending will stick with me, plus I'm intrigued by how some people call it shitty and some just depressing. Eh it's farcry without climbing radio towers that's already worth a try.

The funny thing with the Cult is that (in the bit I played before it became a mess of barely playable trash) that there's no apparent backstory as to how they went from Joseph Seed to giant militia dragging people off and brainwashing them with super-magic-drug.

Like, there's an in-between step there where people had to have joined the Cult itself, and there's no acknowledgement of any attempt at reasoning. They just jumped to "Welp, brainwashed magic drug junkies" to half-assedly explain the enemy forces.

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol. 4 covers nearly 1500 years so that is not very specific.
Also if you knew anything about Roman history you would know we most closely line up with the time of the Gracchi which is hundreds of years before the start of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol. 4 covers nearly 1500 years so that is not very specific.
Also if you knew anything about Roman history you would know we most closely line up with the time of the Gracchi which is hundreds of years before the start of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Osvaldas Daniulis:

Venatio:

Osvaldas Daniulis:

Well the way Yahtzee spoke of the ending is the main reason why I want to play it, I haven't felt anything playing games for a while so maybe that depressing sounding ending will stick with me, plus I'm intrigued by how some people call it shitty and some just depressing. Eh it's farcry without climbing radio towers that's already worth a try.

Well suit yourself. But if you really like "conflicted endings" then you should (if you have not already) play the Enderal Skyrim Overhaul. Don't let the description fool you, it's basically another game. You only need vanilla Skyrim, not Special Edition & no DLC at all. It is better than Skyrim in many, many ways. Just remember to save often and get ready for one heck of an ending that may leave you feeling drained.

I was frankly hoping that the other Far Cry games would get cheaper, but then I remember that I hate leaving Steam for Ubisoft's ridiculous service that I keep forgetting my password to.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here