Zero Punctuation: Extinction and Attack on Titan 2

Extinction and Attack on Titan 2

Yahtzee reviews Extinction and Attack on Titan 2

Watch Video

Made a JRPG one of his top 5 last year, and now this.
One of us! One of us! One of us!

Aeshi:

Forget that, I'm starting to build my bomb shelter. The doomsayers were right.

Aw crap, Yahtzee just ruined Attack on Titan for me with his better Titan-fightin' tactics. Well, he would have, if the series itself didn't do that with their "Surprise! This character you almost forgot about is a Titan!" twists with no proper build-up. My reactions are less "What? They're the Titan the heroes were looking for all along?!" and more "Wait, who's that person?"

RaikuFA:

Aeshi:

So what's the next step, raining blood? Or flying livestock?

Attack on Titan would be so much better if they just used giant robots. Also maybe as a twist the robots are too hard for one pilot, so a second pilot has to help. And they have lasers, and plasma guns and huge saw blades.
That way instead of angsty tweens and teens being angsty and jumping around, you have trained grim serious soldiers in giant robots killing giant monsters.

No, now there's also angsty teens piloting those giant robots.

Silentpony:
Attack on Titan would be so much better if they just used giant robots. Also maybe as a twist the robots are too hard for one pilot, so a second pilot has to help. And they have lasers, and plasma guns and huge saw blades.
That way instead of angsty tweens and teens being angsty and jumping around, you have trained grim serious soldiers in giant robots killing giant monsters.

Ah yes, grim soldiers, because everyone remembers the protagonists of Call of Duty as some of the most memorable and relatable characters in recent memory.

In all honesty, Attack on Titan is by no means a masterpiece, it's the anime equivalent of the world's most expensive B-movie as far as writing goes, but i'd still take its cast over yet another Sergeant Generico, and quite frankly giant robots would completely ruin everything, the whole point is that titans are supposed to be unimaginably huge monsters we can't hope to match and so have to resort to either hiding behind massive walls or desperately fighting them with suicidal techniques that only work half the time. Saying you want Attack on Titan with giant robots is like saying you want an animated version of Pacific Rim 2

Silentpony:

Dude, if you want to go watch Pacific Rim, go watch Pacific Rim.

At least it's not Titan A.E.

Fuck you, Yahtzee.

Never cared that much for spectacle fighting (Not hack & slash..sigh) games myself, it lends itself too readily to quick-time events and the "cinematic" style with over-the-shoulder cam (Not over-the-head...Yet another mix-up of terms) and lengthy movie segments.
I'm not trying to discourage them being on consoles, where they actually fit somewhat due to consoles inherent limitations, but I could wish they weren't ported and promoted so heavily to PC's.

I can agree with Yahtzee that at least it's not Titan A.E. though. ,)

bificommander:
No, now there's also angsty teens piloting those giant robots.

So basically Attack on Titan, but nothing like Attack on Titan?

One of the most important things in the first 20ish volumes of the manga is how weak people are compared to the titans. That all kinda goes our the window by the start of Volume 22, for reasons that I won't explain for the sake of avoiding spoilers.

CyanCat47:

Silentpony:

Ah yes, grim soldiers, because everyone remembers the protagonists of Call of Duty as some of the most memorable and relatable characters in recent memory.

In all honesty, Attack on Titan is by no means a masterpiece, it's the anime equivalent of the world's most expensive B-movie as far as writing goes, but i'd still take its cast over yet another Sergeant Generico, and quite frankly giant robots would completely ruin everything, the whole point is that titans are supposed to be unimaginably huge monsters we can't hope to match and so have to resort to either hiding behind massive walls or desperately fighting them with suicidal techniques that only work half the time. Saying you want Attack on Titan with giant robots is like saying you want an animated version of Pacific Rim 2

r/woosh

All the attacks on Titan A.E. hit when the movie came out. Heyo!

Darth_Payn:
Aw crap, Yahtzee just ruined Attack on Titan for me with his better Titan-fightin' tactics. Well, he would have, if the series itself didn't do that with their "Surprise! This character you almost forgot about is a Titan!" twists with no proper build-up. My reactions are less "What? They're the Titan the heroes were looking for all along?!" and more "Wait, who's that person?"

RaikuFA:

Aeshi:

But where is he going to find a trained pet spider to work the buttons?

/on topic: Little more hate for Titan AE than I care for but to each his own.

Hey! What do you have against Titan A.E.?

Darth_Payn:

RaikuFA:

Aeshi:

I'm seeing frogs raining down from the sky.

Yeah the title's one of those weird cases where the Japanese rightsholders insisted that foreign releases stick to their weird half-competent English translation instead of something sensible because they think it sounds cooler.

Anyways the reason they don't use guns is because their firearms tech is inexplicably shit. They have some ye-olde cannons that can fire off grapeshot or not-very-accurate HE rounds, but that's about it. Apparently the discrepancy between garbage guns and absurdly functional grappling jetpacks takes a vaguely conspiratorial bent much later in the story, but for the most part it's just there to enable slick web-swinging blade acrobatics.

ToastyMozart:
Anyways the reason they don't use guns is because their firearms tech is inexplicably shit. They have some ye-olde cannons that can fire off grapeshot or not-very-accurate HE rounds, but that's about it. Apparently the discrepancy between garbage guns and absurdly functional grappling jetpacks takes a vaguely conspiratorial bent much later in the story, but for the most part it's just there to enable slick web-swinging blade acrobatics.

Pft, I want to know how they built those series of concentric hundred foots walls around entire countries. Trump can't get one 12 ft wall built, and he's got Mexico to pay for that.

"Surely the translators should have realized it's about Attacks by titans rather then Attacks on Titans"

Attack on Titan is a mistranslation on "Attacker Titan" which is the name of Erin's Titan form. Similarly named as the "Female Titan", "Armored Titan", And "Colossal Titan" are named.

Thaluikhain:

ToastyMozart:

Pft, I want to know how they built those series of concentric hundred foots walls around entire countries. Trump can't get one 12 ft wall built, and he's got Mexico to pay for that.

....Well...and I warn you, we're about to go straight into bullshit lane, downhill with the breaks removed, so proceed with caution. I'll say that there's a less bullshit excuse in that there's a powerful faction within the walls deliberately stagnating tech development. As for how that works and how the walls got built? *Sigh* Oh boy.

Things like this are why I feel like sometimes mysteries are better left unsolved.

Canadamus Prime:

The movie's a mess. A beautiful, spectacular, emotional mess that's a major part of my childhood, but a mess nonetheless.

hittite:

Canadamus Prime:

The movie's a mess. A beautiful, spectacular, emotional mess that's a major part of my childhood, but a mess nonetheless.

Oh. I thought it was an enjoyable movie. Of course I haven't seen it in years.

Canadamus Prime:
Of course I haven't seen it in years.

Most people haven't. Rather telling, wouldn't you say?
Now, I actually have seen it recently. I'm a huge Don Bluth fanboy just for how gorgeous his animation always is, but even I'll come right out and say he didn't put out a single good movie after All Dogs Go To Heaven. The quality of his animation never faltered, but the quality of his storytelling took a nose-dive at Rock-A-Doodle and he never really recovered.

Funny how this thread is more concentrated on the anime and a movie only mentioned in a closing title card, not either of the games.

RJ Dalton:

Canadamus Prime:
Of course I haven't seen it in years.

Most people haven't. Rather telling, wouldn't you say?
Now, I actually have seen it recently. I'm a huge Don Bluth fanboy just for how gorgeous his animation always is, but even I'll come right out and say he didn't put out a single good movie after All Dogs Go To Heaven. The quality of his animation never faltered, but the quality of his storytelling took a nose-dive at Rock-A-Doodle and he never really recovered.

Funny how this thread is more concentrated on the anime and a movie only mentioned in a closing title card, not either of the games.

Titan AE was a Don Bluth movie? Huh, I didn't know that. *checks IMDb* Well I'll be damned.
Yeah he kinda lost it as a storyteller after All Dogs Go to Heaven, but Titan AE was probably one of the better post-All Dogs movies.

Canadamus Prime:

hittite:

Canadamus Prime:

Oh. I thought it was an enjoyable movie. Of course I haven't seen it in years.

I never said it wasn't enjoyable. Heck, I just bought a copy at Goodwill and a VCR just to watch it. But the development was a nightmare, the movie itself was rushed to compete with Treasure Planet (and Disney was rushing too which resulted in both movies being less than their best) and the less said about the marketing the better. That said the "intelligent guard" scene is probably one of my top 10 movie moments of all time.

Silentpony:

Pacific Rim got a game. It was shit.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here