Editor's Note Escapist Magazine Volume 2: Issue 0

Editor's Note Escapist Magazine Volume 2: Issue 0

Escapist Magazine was intended to be timeless, in the way of all finely crafted things. Even if video games are about what's next or new, what fascinates us with them will never die. Now, as we bend inexorably into our own next newness, we take a look back.

Read Full Article

Republishing from the archive? That sounds promising. I'm kinda curious of what I missed back then.

Definitely developed a library of gems over the years. I read the written content increasingly from 2010 on but I know there is much that I missed. Also preserve them games folks!

*steps out of their hut made of the scraps of singed forum posts and decaying webcomics* We knew you'd come back for us!

Sounds good, man. Lookin' forward to lookin' backward!

Sorry, that sounded flippant. What I meant was it'll be good to revisit the articles that drew me here in the first place.

Neat. Wasn't around during first years of the Escapist, so I'm curious to see what the big talking points of the time were.

Now, personally I don't care about the Escapist way back when, but bringing back old material and making it easily available is a good thing, because there's always someone that does.

I would like to thank you for doing this.

Really, I do. I don't know what the future holds but I do hope if nothing this, this Volume 2 will show people why we came here and more importantly why we stayed.

I wish you the best and I look forward to seeing the new content :D

Holy Crap, an actual message from someone on staff on the front page of the Escapist.

I honestly can't remember the last time that happened. Please keep it up. Don't be like Defy and just let things happen and then not tell anyone.

Thank you. That was well written and really struck a cord with me. Also, I'm looking forward to re-publishings and new publishings alike. It's good to see the site back in the hands of someone that cares again.
(That's not meant as a slight to the mods who've kept the site going, it's in reference to the previous owners...)

Are you back, Russ?
Good to hear The Escapist still has life in it left!!!
Been here daily sinds Yahtzee's Zero Punctuation Guitar Hero III review. ;)

Welcome back, Russ.

Welcome back! I've referred people to the "cheating my way through college" several times when I've had to explain why I cheat in single player games.

Escapist, for me, has been a weird site - it's the site where a lot of talented people started off and were more or less let go (with various degrees of drama). Still glad it's still around.

I hope you get it back on track.

Huh. I think I speak for everyone still here when I say "go on..."

I think that should be wane, not wain. Good to see things going up/back up though.

So... Where are we going?

busterkeatonrules:
So... Where are we going?

Back in the saddle, to adventure!

AND BEYOOOOND!

OT: I've stopped looking into this site for a while and decided to peek at it out of curiosity, glad I did so I could see the article.
I'm curious as to what the future brings, perhaps I'll dare to dream the Escapist may be revived.

Looking forward to all the upcoming changes and updates. Thanks Russ

Welcome back Russ. I guess you found enough tiberium to power your red lights.

Russ Pitts:
Escapist Magazine was intended to be timeless, in the way of all finely crafted things. Even if video games are about what's next or new, what fascinates us with them will never die. Now, as we bend inexorably into our own next newness, we take a look back.

Those who choose to spend their time reminiscing about the past, neglecting their present and future, won't have a future.

It's now Saturday. It has been three days since Zero Punctuation should have been posted. It still hasn't happened.
You literally have ONE piece of content to put up. If you can't figure out how to do that, there's no hope for this site.

At the risk of derailing this thread off of the "Welcome back Russ, hope you unscrew everything that happened here since you left" track...

madwarper:
It has been three days since Zero Punctuation should have been posted.

Sounds like you could have made another thread for that instead of butting in on Russ' welcome back parade. All things considered, a delay in ZP is light compared to what could have happened, like the site imploding.

Anyway, as my little blurb says, I joined way back in early 2011, which iirc, was right before Russ left. That's when things were good, and I'm hoping they get somewhere close to there. Bob being back is a good sign, plus the chance of seeing someone make fun of Greg Tito again for his review of Dragon Age 2 should give everyone a nice :D on their faces. :D

Very exciting to come across and read. I'm filled with ennui and hope, I love this place, and look forward to the 'victory lap', if it may so be.

madwarper:
You literally have ONE piece of content to put up. If you can't figure out how to do that, there's no hope for this site.

Those of us who work with computers for, like, a living know that, even over a dedicated gigabit link, rsyncing 13 years of content and metadata over to a new server is going to take non-trivial time. It is also reasonable to assume they're setting up a new, modern CMS, and customizing/integrating it with whatever their new business model is going to be.

And it's not like Yahtzee hasn't taken a week off before without prior announcement. Yeah, I miss his stuff. But I also want the man to enjoy his life. I could easily see Russ phoning up Yahtzee and saying, "Hey, we're basically blowing up the server; would you like to skip a week? Go take your wife out to Trou Normand or something..."

Wow I haven't seen this name for a while, feeling nostalgic haha. Now we just need to get Jim and moviebob back and we're set.

And while games are about what's new, the true significant games are timeless. Even if we don't still play them themselves, they ceaselessly keep affecting what the new games will be. Stuff like chrono trigger never really died.

I've been a long time visitor of the escapist, and I have to say this is the brightest bit of news this website has seen in quite a few years.

I was always a fan of the highly curated magazine format, and I definitely look forward to potentially seeing it return.

Here's to new and renewed beginnings.

Dreiko:
Wow I haven't seen this name for a while, feeling nostalgic haha. Now we just need to get Jim and moviebob back and we're set.

And while games are about what's new, the true significant games are timeless. Even if we don't still play them themselves, they ceaselessly keep affecting what the new games will be. Stuff like chrono trigger never really died.

Bob is coming back, Jim said no though.

He's at a point right now where he'd rather stay independent.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here