Zero Punctuation: MadWorld

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

The balloon analogy, trully brilliant. And note to self, never ever drink something while watching yahtzee's reviews. It's bad for the monitor.

Enlong:

Eternal Vigil:
Hmm...Madworld was my hope for a mature audience on the Wii, along with HOTD and the Conduit later this year.

There's so few games on it that I'd want to play on it, I think I have to agree with Yahtzee and hope developers give up on the system and focus on the other two for the mature audiences.

Oh yes, that's the right idea. There are developers who have been pumping out a lot of mediocre games for the Wii, so the right idea is for developers of good games to just stop trying, and let the mediocre developers run the place while they retreat to the 360 and PS3. Yeah. That makes total sense.

I love the use of sarcasm there.

To me the Wii is dead. There a few games that still give me very faint hope for the system, but I feel it was a waste of my money, as I barely use it.

As much as I dissagree with you...I still loved the review :D

+1 for "spectacle fighter" being considered a real genre.

Poptart Fairy:

Sylocat:
persecuted by a mythical endless army of Nintendo fanboys, who are apparently much worse than every other type of fanboy for some arbitrary reason.

Ironically enough, this 'mythical' army has popped up in the thread spearheaded by yourself. lols.

Me and what army? :p

In all seriousness, I'm just tired of the majority pretending to be a persecuted minority.

You know what's good? Pedigree Chums with Branston Pickle. Mmmmmm....

(Disclaimer: I have not had either of these products)

I thought the whole point of Mad World was that it was supposed to be a game inducing regression in the minds of teens. To that end, it seems to work pretty well. The onomatopoeia is fucking awesome though.

But the way he went "fuck you" at the presupposed sarcastic rebuttals frightened me. That's some unbridled, passionate hate right there.

Last but not least I'd love to see him alternate the hatred with some good lovins' and as modern gaming Jesus bestow upon us what is righteous to play and what is not. But seriously, I'm genuinely curious as to what this man thinks a good game make.

Ha!
"...the fuckers repeat themselves more than an amnesiac in a ear hospital"
is absolutely hilarious.

"Where am I?"
"What"

xD

Yahtzee is the reason I wake up every morning!

Great review, never disappoints

Spot of the old ultra violence. awesome Clockwork Orange reference :)
~Frosty.

I'd recomend everyone to read the escapist review on MadWorld, as it explains exactly why it's at it's best on the wii.

Also, it's tiresome to see the fans masturbate to every new ZP opinion. He's not going to bone you.

Ugh, I can't hold it anymore.

I really believe Yahtzee is a smart man, but come on... making games on wii just because nintendo gives money ? Nintendo giving money ? Are you kidding ?

MadWorld certainly isn't the best game to use wiimote - I still find it more entertaining than a button masher though, but maybe that's just me. But why do you want it on another console ? What's the problem with creating a new visual style because of the console's limitations, isn't *this* supposed to be creativity, rather than generic UE3/dirt brown/HD cel-shading ?

The reason I still like the wii is because it's limitations force developers to imagine ways to cleverly use their possibilities. No more heroes did it and I believe MadWorld also does it. There sure is a lot of crap on this console, but it's the only one where I can expect rare games like these... and unlike platinum's upcoming Devil May Cry clone, with angels instead of demons and Sarah Palin replacing Dante/Nero.

So please, developers, continue to support it... I know nintendo is ruled by morons and that gamers will love you more for making games for more powerful machines, but that doesn't means these games will be any better. Dare experimenting, christ !

>:(

xqxm:
Haha, nice. I dislike the departure from funny slaughter of a game to serious reviewing you seem to have taken though.

So I'm not the only one that's noticed.
Sometimes lately I can't even tell if he likes it or not. I much prefer when he tore apart every game in a funny manner not to mention that when he does like a game, it's always some steaming pile of crap like No More Heroes.

My Wii's controls are just fine. I think Yatzee just needs to change his batteries or reposition his sensor bar...

Now that's the most I've laughed at Yahtzee in ages.

I have to admit, my suspicions about this game were raised when I saw dozens of brand new copies in Gamestation at a big discount less than a month after release.

*shrug*

Good show like always. Nintendo should have followed SEGA to the grave and made games for good counsels.

I'd say Spectacle Fighter either needs to be redefined or the selection of games needs a do-over because DMC, VJ and God Hand are all hard games where the enemies most certainly fight back, which, if I've heard correctly, isn't exactly the case in MadWorld.

Also, I doubt he meant Nintendo are paying them to make violent games for the Wii (especially considering they try to have a family-friendly approach), but remember that the Wii has, by far, the largest install base. Sure, most of it consists of people who wouldn't give the game a second glance, but no other console has the same potential.

I don't think that's the reason it was made for the Wii though. It might be hardware limitations (I hear many japanese developers are trying as hard as possible to hang on to their old hardware) or just trying to fill a market segment.

BirdKiller:
Has Pedigree Chums been paying to have its name be said or read at least once now? >_>

For all we know, that stuff is tasty... :-)

Dectilon:
I'd say Spectacle Fighter either needs to be redefined or the selection of games needs to a do-over because DMC, VJ and God Hand are all hard games where the enemies most certainly fight back, which, if I've heard correctly, isn't exactly the case in MadWorld.

On the normal mode the enemies aren't that bad, but if you up the difficulty the game becomes much more difficult. Quite frankly, I like that approach more than putting making the "standard" difficulty a hard one, because it's annoying when you have to play through the "easy" mode instead on those games and you feel like a retard because it always says something like, "For people who haven't played a lot of games before."

Nooooooooo! *hugs wii*

Leave my baby alone! What harm as she ever done to you, mean bitter brit?

Apparently it's suspension-worthy to say that a Zero-Punctuation clip is good, looking at the first page, but, at any rate.

Is it just me, or does Mr. Croshaw seem to reverse his points of view frequently? Madworld is essentially another No More Heroes (albeit with the between-level grinding removed to just get to the over-the-top evisceration-fest). As good? Well, no, not quite, but you can only do so much without SUDA-51 leading a project. The aspect felt more like an American 1980s gore comic book mixed in with the commentary from professional wrestling. Okay, the game isn't Branston Pickle, but could be compared to an off-brand knock off.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe The Escapist is just looking for someone to rip into things. Perhaps I'm just trying to find logic in the foaming mouth of a rabid madman?

Dectilon:
Also, I doubt he meant Nintendo are paying them to make violent games for the Wii (especially considering they try to have a family-friendly approach), but remember that the Wii has, by far, the largest install base. Sure, most of it consists of people who wouldn't give the game a second glance, but no other console has the same potential.

I don't think that's the reason it was made for the Wii though. It might be hardware limitations (I hear many japanese developers are trying as hard as possible to hang on to their old hardware) or just trying to fill a market segment.

It has a large install base but selling a """hardcore""" game on it is far more difficult than on any other platform.

IMO it was an attempt to be creative - not even to push the hardware, but rather to make a game that is visually nice without HD, normal mapping and all this stuff I'm not nerdy enough to like.

Actually, for all that Yahtzee spews bile on the Wii, it's pretty much got the largest share of positive (or at least as positive as that cranky bastard gets) reviews from him.

Super Mario Galaxy and House Of The Dead: Overkill were pretty much go out and buy recommendations. The only other one I can think of (not counting the trips into history) is Bioshock.

Henriksen:
Why dont you just stop reviewing games for Nintendo if you hate them so mutch. Its getting pretty boring to listen to you wine about Nintendo all the time. It seems like nomather what comes out for it you will hate it.

No, he complains cause what comes out on Wii must suck compared to what it would have been on a real console. He doesn't hate it cause it's on the Wii, he hates that being on the Wii means they wasted potential.

Sennune:
Another great review. I really appreciated the "A Clockwork Orange" reference.

Soylent Green. The whole bit was a reference to Soylent Gree. Alex just watched a small film screen. The people in Soylent Green watched early Imax. I'd say more, but that'd ruin the movie for the people who haven't seen it.

Edit: It appears I focused on the wrong moment.

'a spot of the old ultra-violence'

awesome, a clockwork orange reference :)

Syntax Man:
Funny as always, but I must say that Yahtzee seems to always pick on the Wii itself a lot. Especially considering the massive exaggeration present with his complaints about the motion sensor. Come on, it works pretty well and the delay between 'input' and game registry is only a fraction of a second..

Then he's not exaggerating. A fraction of a second is still huge, especially in videogames

Sylocat:
Every time he reviews a Wii game, he reiterates all his nitpicks about it before getting down to the actual review.

Because every wii game suffers simply because they are on the wii, and the complains are no less valid. The game would have been better simply by being made on PS3 or 360 instead.

He's not a PS3/360 fanboy, he harps on PS3 all the time. He's a quality game fanboy. And Wii doesnt have them

making games on wii just because nintendo gives money ?

Thats not what he said. He didn't say it was nintendo giving them money, but that they were in it just cause they felt they could make more money on the wii

you're right, it's like developers are just trying to make something slightly different so that everyone who owns a wii will buy it, even though it'll be shit and worse than it could have been if it were on any other console.

Indeed it is.

Gildedtongue:
Apparently it's suspension-worthy to say that a Zero-Punctuation clip is good, looking at the first page, but, at any rate.

I noticed that as well and said, "What..arbitrary..silliness."(best line in any ZP vid I've seen thusfar)

I can't watch it for some reason, I've tried several browsers (including Firefox).

It just says "Stream Not Found".

Does anyone have any clue what the problem is?!

Techni:

Henriksen:
Why dont you just stop reviewing games for Nintendo if you hate them so mutch. Its getting pretty boring to listen to you wine about Nintendo all the time. It seems like nomather what comes out for it you will hate it.

No, he complains cause what comes out on Wii must suck compared to what it would have been on a real console. He doesn't hate it cause it's on the Wii, he hates that being on the Wii means they wasted potential.

How did it being on the Wii make it not live up to it's potential? Rather than a graphical and audio upgrade, what added potential would have been realized by putting MadWorld on a 360 or PS3?

Awesome as always yahtzee!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 64770)