Zero Punctuation: MadWorld

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

I suspect that the problem Yahtzee has with the Wii is the same problem that I have with it, the DS and the iPod Touch. I've yet to see any game which I felt was improved by the Wiimote controls, other than sporting games where the motion was a direct analogue of what you're actually doing. When it's doing stuff like Wii Sports or Wii Fit, the Wii is in a class of its own. But a classic-style actioner like Madworld is always going to work better with the precision of button and pad controls, and once you take the Wiimote out of the equation you're left with a console with markedly less horsepower than its competitors. I accept completely that this is due to my being an older gamer- I don't want to play games by drawing on the screen with a pen, tilting the display all over the place or putting my fingers on the game screen. I want controls that do the job of control and then get out of the way and let me play the game, and that doesn't seem to be what the Wii is about.

Ok, this, finally, is the episode where I say: Bloody hell, I want the old titles back.
Just about any version of "Mad World" would have been nice, though obvious.

Nice episode, and nice Alex DeLarge costume for Rick.

Majere613:
I suspect that the problem Yahtzee has with the Wii is the same problem that I have with it, the DS and the iPod Touch. I've yet to see any game which I felt was improved by the Wiimote controls, other than sporting games where the motion was a direct analogue of what you're actually doing. When it's doing stuff like Wii Sports or Wii Fit, the Wii is in a class of its own. But a classic-style actioner like Madworld is always going to work better with the precision of button and pad controls, and once you take the Wiimote out of the equation you're left with a console with markedly less horsepower than its competitors. I accept completely that this is due to my being an older gamer- I don't want to play games by drawing on the screen with a pen, tilting the display all over the place or putting my fingers on the game screen. I want controls that do the job of control and then get out of the way and let me play the game, and that doesn't seem to be what the Wii is about.

Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime 3 IMO were greatly enhanced by the Wii's motion control scheme, to the point where it's hard to go back to the old "regular" style of playing with a basic controller in your hands. The problem is that these games are few and far in-between, or rather, GOOD uses of them.

Glad as hell I looked at this I was thinking about getting this so my wii was more then a dust collector. Thanks for another useful review.

karmapolizei:
Ok, this, finally, is the episode where I say: Bloody hell, I want the old titles back.
Just about any version of "Mad World" would have been nice, though obvious.

Nice episode, and nice Alex DeLarge costume for Rick.

Knowing the old style, I doubt he would have used "Mad World" for the theme. The only time the opening theme was the same as the game title was "No More Heroes" and Yahtzee stopped it in mid-song and said, "No No, that's a little too obvious."

HardRockSamurai:
Well done Yahtzee! I think everyone would like to know WHY THE FUCK IS THIS GAME ON THE Wii???

No, I wanna know when will Yahtzee by shoved in a box and dropped of a cliff on some jagged rocks. Seriously, enough is enough. Alright we get it, he hates the Wii, he hates the games that get on it. Can we move on? He drove this topic to the ground faster, than thoes Wii-mote jokes lost their wit (even if they didn' have wit to begin with.) I don't like the Wii myselfe, but this is just fucking annoying to no end.

Techni:

Syntax Man:
Funny as always, but I must say that Yahtzee seems to always pick on the Wii itself a lot. Especially considering the massive exaggeration present with his complaints about the motion sensor. Come on, it works pretty well and the delay between 'input' and game registry is only a fraction of a second..

Then he's not exaggerating. A fraction of a second is still huge, especially in videogames

Truth. Even 1/10 second of delay can kill you in certain games. Actually, all games should strive for no longer than 1/60 second.

He's right about the commentators' habit of repeating themselves, but other than that... I find that the graphics on this game are actually pretty good, and I never had any problem with the Wii's reactions to my movements. Perhaps Yahtzee is just waggling his wand instead of actually doing what the screen tells him to do - my brother has the same problem, and he also complains frequently about it "not responding well" to his franctic shaking.

JoeNut:
you're right, it's like developers are just trying to make something slightly different so that everyone who owns a wii will buy it, even though it'll be shit and worse than it could have been if it were on any other console.

You are wrong. Instead of intuitive Wii Remote movements, you'd have to blandly press buttons in the QTE - it would be much like pressing Play every few seconds to continue watching your movie. On the Wii, it actually feels like you're contributing something to the power struggles, which is something that could not be achieved on any other console. I dare claim that if this game had been released on the 360, it would not be half as much fun.

Techni:
Because every wii game suffers simply because they are on the wii, and the complains are no less valid. The game would have been better simply by being made on PS3 or 360 instead.

He's not a PS3/360 fanboy, he harps on PS3 all the time. He's a quality game fanboy. And Wii doesnt have them

Metroid Prime 3; Corruption. I assume you get the point, yes?

Pretentious Gears of War trailer--AMEN!

I very good reveiw as always but one question has been bothering me with all Yahtzee reveiws who is the picture of the guy you use to show people, the one with red hair?

yourbeliefs:

Techni:

Henriksen:
Why dont you just stop reviewing games for Nintendo if you hate them so mutch. Its getting pretty boring to listen to you wine about Nintendo all the time. It seems like nomather what comes out for it you will hate it.

No, he complains cause what comes out on Wii must suck compared to what it would have been on a real console. He doesn't hate it cause it's on the Wii, he hates that being on the Wii means they wasted potential.

How did it being on the Wii make it not live up to it's potential? Rather than a graphical and audio upgrade, what added potential would have been realized by putting MadWorld on a 360 or PS3?

He wouldn't have had to try to adapt to a control scheme that doesn't fit his brain despite him liking it originally?

Oh wait, I forgot who the primary crowd on the escapist is and who he's pandering to.

Spinwhiz:
Hi Everyone!

The Escapist has been nominated for another Webby this year and we could really use your help to win The People's Voice Award for Best Game Related Website! Here are the easy steps:

1) Sign up for a free account at http://pv.webbyawards.com/
2) Click on the "Website - Vote Now" link
3) Click on "Game Related" under Entertainment
4) Then submit your vote!

Thank you for all your help! It's because of you, the community, that we win these great awards!

And yet we rip into turbine for stuff like this.

Very funny review, one of the few that have made me laugh out loud lately. I think I have grown to used to Yatzee

Kanashe:
No, I wanna know when will Yahtzee by shoved in a box and dropped of a cliff on some jagged rocks.

Where I come from, we call that being "Tomb Raidered"

Moriarty70:

Kanashe:
No, I wanna know when will Yahtzee by shoved in a box and dropped of a cliff on some jagged rocks.

Where I come from, we call that being "Tomb Raidered"

*drum sound*

I've never posted here before, I don't ever intend to again, but I had to respond to this.

The criticisms about MadWorld are by and large funny and on the whole very fair -- it's a good, short game that's entirely crippled by a frustrating camera and somewhat iffy controls -- but what I don't get is this bent against the Wii. Do you people get all excited and bothered if there's an E rated game on 360 or PS3? Should a game not be released for PC, as an example, if it contains drug or gambling references? What's with the arbitrary fucking restrictions on what should or not should be released on hardware, not based on control or graphic capabilities, but on content? What the hell is that?

Was the Blu-Ray/HD DVD race decided because studios decided violent movies should be put out on HD DVD? You people are the problem. Some idiots on the internet decide the Wii is for kids because there are no games with a mature bent to them. Developers come out with mature games and then the internet jackoffs demand that they stop.

People will want to buy these games or not. Let the market decide. If they sell, they sell. If they don't, they don't. In the mean time instead of slagging the Wii, why don't you go outside and maybe try getting laid or something?

I have to agree with Yahtzee on the fact that this game should not be on the Wii. As Yahtzee said the Wii should be left go casual gamers and leave it at that. Developers should realise this and when they get the concept for a new game that gamers may actually like, they should look into developing it on the 360 or PS3 if not both.

Daymo:

Spinwhiz:
Hi Everyone!

The Escapist has been nominated for another Webby this year and we could really use your help to win The People's Voice Award for Best Game Related Website! Here are the easy steps:

1) Sign up for a free account at http://pv.webbyawards.com/
2) Click on the "Website - Vote Now" link
3) Click on "Game Related" under Entertainment
4) Then submit your vote!

Thank you for all your help! It's because of you, the community, that we win these great awards!

And yet we rip into turbine for stuff like this.

Very funny review, one of the few that have made me laugh out loud lately. I think I have grown to used to Yatzee

"WE" don't rip into Turbine at all. Some people may have but I told Turbine (and every other developer) they could do it.

You know, I really understand what he means about the Wii. If I had all 3 consoles of this generation, I think I can safely say that the Wii would probably be my least used console. Yeah, there are some good games for the Wii that work well with the motion controls (Such as Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition), but I used to look at the rack of potential rentals for the Gamecube at my local Blockbuster and I would have at least heard of the games on the shelves. Now I look at the Wii's line up and find myself asking "Wait, what the heck are these?" I haven't heard anything about any big Wii releases for a long time now (However I admit that I don't keep up to speed as much as I should). I haven't heard a thing about Mario or Metroid for the longest time and all I know is that Zelda is aiming its guns at the DS again.

Its sad to say, but the Wii for me has been reduced to nothing but something to use to go down memory lane and play things like Super Metroid, Star Fox 64, and other old titles I loved.

Techni:

Sylocat:
Every time he reviews a Wii game, he reiterates all his nitpicks about it before getting down to the actual review.

Because every wii game suffers simply because they are on the wii, and the complains are no less valid. The game would have been better simply by being made on PS3 or 360 instead.

He's not a PS3/360 fanboy, he harps on PS3 all the time. He's a quality game fanboy. And Wii doesnt have them

Apparently Metroid Prime 3, RE4, NMH, HotD, etc., don't exist.

Ok, I had to register just so I could say this. The part where it says "Oh Frabjous Day" above the TV and Yahtzee is saying "Calloo Callay" is AWESOME.

Made me laugh out loud for real.

My friend bought a wii, then sold it, then bought another one, then sold that one.

I wasn't really listening to the details of why my friend did this because I don't care about other people or what they do. But it seemed to me that every so often the console held up something shiny that made people want to buy said shiny thing and the console to play it on, but after a short while the charm had gone and the console neglected. That is not the establishment of anything worthwhile so I won't ever get a wii.

I liked Madworld. Denigrating a game for the required platform is just childish, especially when the required platform is so cheap compared to the competing platforms.

Sewblon:
I liked Madworld. Denigrating a game for the required platform is just childish, especially when the required platform is so cheap compared to the competing platforms.

Well, nowadays cheap compared to ONE other platform...

I can't wait for some good games to come out for him to review

I think Yahtzee's starting to sound just a little like the tiresome-yet-amusing "hardcore" gamers who complain that for once the biggest console out there is not targeted directly at them. Sure, the Wii is not perfect, and it's got a lot of shovelware, but resenting a console because of its focus on casual and "kiddy" games is kind of ludicrous- do only 18-34 year old men deserve marketing attention? Be grateful someone's mixing it up finally!

Interestingly enough, though this review is somewhat negative it does give enough information that I actually think I'd enjoy this game. In that sense I think Yahtzee did a good job, because a good review isn't one that makes you agree with the author so much as it is one that gives you enough information to make your own decision. I think he needs to come to terms with the fact that the Wii isn't so much bad as it is not for him, but other than that, good show.

For a moment there, I thought Yahtzee made a reference to Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness when he mentioned having chainsaw in the place of your hand. But then again...

The points system is what got to me the most (aside from the controls, but that's obvious, isn't it?), Yahtzee pointed its flaws out as well. It would need proper fixing, but not taking away. Because if it was taken away, well... the game would lose a lot of meaning to playing it. Or not, if you are in it just for violence (don't know many who would pick Mad World over, say, Manhunt or any similar game).

And the Wii controls don't work with these kinds of games, it's also why I play games on the Wii that don't require the waving around of the Wiimote, making you look like the ADHD village idiot blathering about pink winged men in the sky, just to do jump, punch, or any action necessary for going through the game. It was fun for the Wii Sports (and that fun didn't last long) but that's just it.

As for what Yahtzee gave us, it was a quality review. Sort of a blow to the gut, since I still hold some hope for the Wii (eventually this will prove out to be a bad idea and a waste of time, I know) but what with having experienced all the flaws there are, I see that he is making sense.

Just picture that for a moment, doing up your fly with a chainsaw for an arm...

who is that one picture that yahtzee uses all the time, its at 2:15 in this one but he uses it in a lot of other ones too. ive seen that man before but i cant seem to remember where

O_o that was very weird. Also in most cases during this I'm going "snap!" o_O

i loved the solynt green reference

great movie btw

Great as always

First.

lol, or not :)

I may buy a Wii for this....

My Dad now has a Wii. He's the kind of person who wouldn't touch a serious games console unless it held the key to immortality, so this goes to show what a pile of crap the Wii must be.
Five minutes with the motion control bollocks and I'm ready to throw it out the window.
Death to nintendo.
Oh, good "review" Yahtzee. Let's see more anti-nintendo rants! Just pick any random Wii game and use it as an excuse to piss all over the big N.

"He's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Game Critic."

Got that right. You can also shove fanboy on there since he keeps badmouthing the Wii more than the other consoles. I know the thing isn't perfect but c'mon, blatantly pointing it out isn't going to make more games with actual effort put into them get made any faster. Well maybe it will but not to the degree you're doing it, Yahtzee.

And how are the controls bad? There was barely any moment in MadWorld that moves didn't register for me. I call bullshit on that.

The only points Yahtzee made that I can agree on are this: A) Okay so yes commentators Howard and Kreese do repeat themselves waaaaaay too much. That seems to be a problem with games with commentary as a whole. And B) sure the final boss is easier than he should be since he's y'know the final boss. Especially when you consider who the final boss is being pretty unexpected when you think about it. I wouldn't call that battle piss-poor but I wouldn't say it met the required challenge quotient for a final boss battle.

I think Yahtzee's starting to sound just a little like the tiresome-yet-amusing "hardcore" gamers who complain that for once the biggest console out there is not targeted directly at them. Sure, the Wii is not perfect, and it's got a lot of shovelware, but resenting a console because of its focus on casual and "kiddy" games is kind of ludicrous- do only 18-34 year old men deserve marketing attention? Be grateful someone's mixing it up finally!

Interestingly enough, though this review is somewhat negative it does give enough information that I actually think I'd enjoy this game. In that sense I think Yahtzee did a good job, because a good review isn't one that makes you agree with the author so much as it is one that gives you enough information to make your own decision. I think he needs to come to terms with the fact that the Wii isn't so much bad as it is not for him, but other than that, good show.

Couldn't agree more with that statement. The fact that Yahtzee dropped so many damn "stop making games, especially M-Rated ones, for the Wii" comments pissed me off more than his negativity towards the game itself. Look, I'd like for less shovelware and more "hardcore" stuff on Wii myself but that doesn't mean you shouldn't out and out condemn anyone who makes games for the system that actually took some effort just because it's on the Wii of all things.

Great review Yahtzee! Now as much as I like Madworld, I HAVE to agree that it is repetitive. Two hours in, and I stopped at the dungeon level.

Also I HATE it when the wii remote doesn't respond at times. Everytime I execute a horizontal attack, I execute a vertical attack. Just tedious to keep on reconnecting the remote.

I'm going to finish it but I bet I'll trade it in a few months later.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here