Zero Punctuation: MadWorld

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Everytime he drops a Battle Royale reference, I develop confusing, often emotional, feelings for him.

Turns out I'm not the only one who is confused by Madworld being on the Wii.
Touche'

Spinwhiz:

Daymo:

Spinwhiz:
Hi Everyone!

The Escapist has been nominated for another Webby this year and we could really use your help to win The People's Voice Award for Best Game Related Website! Here are the easy steps:

1) Sign up for a free account at http://pv.webbyawards.com/
2) Click on the "Website - Vote Now" link
3) Click on "Game Related" under Entertainment
4) Then submit your vote!

Thank you for all your help! It's because of you, the community, that we win these great awards!

And yet we rip into turbine for stuff like this.

Very funny review, one of the few that have made me laugh out loud lately. I think I have grown to used to Yatzee

"WE" don't rip into Turbine at all. Some people may have but I told Turbine (and every other developer) they could do it.

Hah, just voted and got a "in the lead" for the Escapist.
Obviously I did it right and even more obviously I demand a cookie which I might share with Yahtzee for that great review.

I have to agree with Ben on this one just because its violent and on the Wii(treis hard not to make a penis joke) it suppose to be good. The points system doesn't seems like it works well.

Hmm, I was leary of this as well, I thought it to be cool until the Wii logo in the corner had running away, screaming.

I much appreciate the Battle Royale references that have been in the last few reviews, a great novel in a great review.

ElTigreNegro:
Yes, it's an accesible way for many people to play games, no doubt there, but here's the thing: all the people that started to play games thanks to this are really not playing any other games that are not these type of mini-games that use the wii mote. Put them a traditional controler and they may start to feel weird once more. In other words, it's a self contained market with no chance of expanding beyond that, Nintendo's way of "expanding" this is not by making a different type of game, is just by making a sequel to Wii sports, more of the same in other words. Other developers are jumping in the same bandwagon right there.

By those standards, though, gaming stagnated long ago. People who buy the Wii for the casual minigame titles at least have a chance to try and like other types of games, so there's some expansion potential. Certainly more than the already established gamers who won't really expand through any means short of cellular division.

ElTigreNegro:

Yes, it's an accesible way for many people to play games, no doubt there, but here's the thing: all the people that started to play games thanks to this are really not playing any other games that are not these type of mini-games that use the wii mote. Put them a traditional controler and they may start to feel weird once more. In other words, it's a self contained market with no chance of expanding beyond that, Nintendo's way of "expanding" this is not by making a different type of game, is just by making a sequel to Wii sports, more of the same in other words. Other developers are jumping in the same bandwagon right there.

I don't get it- why is it important or even inherently desirable that they move on to games with traditional controllers? The market is grown nonetheless, and more people are playing and having fun.

when i looked at the advert i throught it looked odd... and it did look to violent for a wii game seeing as i see the wii to be a family game

Soylent green is an obscure reference now? o-o

This video was Laugh Out Loud funny! A good one no doubt. I have a Wii and played Madworld, and I agree almost 100% with this review, the boss fights and commentators r the only reason to buy this game except all the boss fights r the same dodge and slash BS, only Rinrin was remotely enjoyable or intense....and the final boss epic fails beyond compare...and yes the Wii is a piece of shit that's why I have a PS3...the Wii is only for when when I want to play with friends...who don't have an interest in games like Resistance 2 or Gears...

...this game isn't worth your money if you are considering buying it....rent it or borrow it from a friend who was dumb enough 2 buy it :P

R u talking 2 people who actually own a Wii and are over the age of 12...and have no other next gen console....

The Wii sucks....its controls are unbearable, I fucking own one, if u want my Wii code as proof so b it...I HATE the motion sensing BS, and Ben (Yahtzee)clearly agrees with me...I found games that weren't heavily motion sensing dependent to be more enjoyable and the funny part is for games like Mario kart where their is the option...the controller wins every time vs motion sensing....Nintendo is so much about gimmicks they are alienating REAL gamers like me and Yahtzee (I suppose, I won't speak for him)

Hail Yahtzee, The one true king reviewer of games in a comedic fashion, his word is law!!!

I agree good sir, gief refund for Wii, Wii Sportz is the best game for the Wii and it's included with the console...

Sorry double post :)

GAAAAAAAAAAH!!

Why Yahtzee!? Why don't you ever give the Wii a chance. Sure it doesn't bend over backwards to tell you how great it's graphics are and how very serious it is (Oh look another grainy brown hellscape for me to grunt across as yet another space marine) but just because the Wii doesn't feel like catering to you and the "GAMEZ R SERIOUS BIZNESS" crowd that you oh so love.

The Wii is just as good as the other two systems. I suspect you have never actually touched a wii-mote for more than seven seconds before denouncing it a travesty against your preconceived notions and then never again giving it a chance. I have never experienced the problems you speak of. I have never found the controls to not register movements. I have never found them to be difficult or unintuitive.

I don't know what your problem is. But you should seriously bend the fuck over and remove the PS3 from your rectum before the pent up bullshit causes your head to explode!

willard3:
The Wii comments are awesome as always.

"Spectacle fighting", huh? I suppose that's actually one of my choice genres, as it's just plain fun to tear through legions of baddies in the coolest-looking ways possible...and get rewarded for being awesome.

Is it just me or is FAllout 3 like that thaanks to VATS

DRUNK_CANADIAN:
R u talking 2 people who actually own a Wii and are over the age of 12...and have no other next gen console....

The Wii sucks....its controls are unbearable, I fucking own one, if u want my Wii code as proof so b it...I HATE the motion sensing BS, and Ben (Yahtzee)clearly agrees with me...I found games that weren't heavily motion sensing dependent to be more enjoyable and the funny part is for games like Mario kart where their is the option...the controller wins every time vs motion sensing....Nintendo is so much about gimmicks they are alienating REAL gamers like me and Yahtzee (I suppose, I won't speak for him)

So why do you own one?

And this "REAL gamers" bull is precisely what I'm talking about. You are not more entitled to your opinion because you can play Kaizo Mario World without saves or were one of the beta testers for the Atari 2600 or because your PC rig is bigger than anyone else's. We are all people playing games where we pretend to be spacemen and plumbers and the world's least subtle Black Ops officers, and the Wii's failure to target you will not result in Nintendo going bankrupt no matter how much you wish it so. The Wii is an objective success and though you can gripe that it doesn't have the best game library or variety of genres or that the motion sensing could be improved (Nintendo seems to even agree with you on that, what with "Motion Plus"), trying to claim that it's the worst thing since the Jaguar is just your sense of entitlement showing.

i dun like it

I'm not sure what it is but this video was not funny to me.

Spinwhiz:
Hi Everyone!

The Escapist has been nominated for another Webby this year and we could really use your help to win The People's Voice Award for Best Game Related Website! Here are the easy steps:

1) Sign up for a free account at http://pv.webbyawards.com/

I wonder if the people who got angery at Trubine during MM will do this.

I'm against censorship, too. I hate it when we have to be so lite in the USA, because some idiot finds something to whine about that's mildly offensive. The more you try to hide the truth from someone, the more they'll try to find out.

Ah trapped insects... Good school memories.

Anyway, I found Yahtzee's review of this torture sim to be rather good. Plenty of side references thrown in, a little less hate; so I suspect he enjoyed it as much as he admitted. The lack of the wii's finesse is something I too have noticed. The controller was meant to be the greatest thing out, but in my experience (not too much, but I've played a few of the games) it doesn't quite get there. Could summarise it down to flawed, imprecise response to what you are trying to achieve.

As a fencer, the fencing reference made me chuckle.

....Ouch.

I personally thought Madworld was excellent. I didn't expect a chew-out like this at all.

Evan Waters:

I don't get it- why is it important or even inherently desirable that they move on to games with traditional controllers? The market is grown nonetheless, and more people are playing and having fun.

It isn't, it just means that the Wii will keep getting a flow of one dimensional titles and very few worthy titles. Again, if a lot of people keep buying all these mini-games compilation, what could possibly motivate Nintendo and other companies to take the risk of making something different? The production cost for this games is low, and the gains high. It's a golden goose for sure, one that actually has started to eat itself in Japan by the way. That's why Nintendo is already making Wii sports 2, they don't want to see the novelty die so fast. I just wonder how long it will last.

I found this episode to be funny, but I do not agree with the review itself. Mainly because A) Madworld is kickass (especially in the military base and B) The unwarrented Wii hate. I know that it's full of shovelware, but that's the developers' fault, not the hardware. Anyway, loved the review, even though I whole-heartedly disagree with it.

Haha. Anyone who owns MadWorld will know how accurate the balloon comparison actually is. I really enjoyed it though. I do believe Sega are holding the Wii up at the moment though, with HotD: Overkill and MadWorld.

meh, worth a rental. a good reason to dust off the Wii

Awesome Yahtzee! Keep it up.

Love the God Hand references.

Also, did anyone else notice that all 3 of the definate examples of Spectacle Fighters were made by Capcom, in particular by the guys that were once in Clover Studios?

Oh, and I can confirm God Hand's need for finesse.

it seems to me like Madworld is very similar to No More Heroes, but your review's points are all valid, so no complaints here. Keep up the good work!

Why is Yazi so unfunny? Madworld was a fine game, not perfect, but nothing is, certainly not the shit being shoveled out by 99.9% of all developers across all platforms. We're living in the age of mediocrity; both in games and critics.

Bring on the suck, folks.

Have to admit, this was a rare miss.

I got a few chuckles, but (and this may be just because I'm a Nintendo fanboy) you seemed to be less interested in the actual game and more in soapboxing against the Wii. You give Nintendo too little credit.

I had a bunch of other stuff to say, but I can't seem to get them out in writing, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.

I lol'd but that could be because he said exactly what i thought he should say

lol, well I take it that Yahtzee doesn't like the Wii and he's even more annoyed that they made a "violent" game for it. I agree with him, it seems to me that this was made for the Wii just so people can say "OOOOOOOOO look!! a violent game for the Wii!".

I guess this is kind of similar to MK2 for the SNES. Remember the first Mortal Kombat that was on the Nintendo had the blood replaced with sweat (LAME BTW). Then when the MKII was released on it and it was announced that it would have all the blood from the arcade version people were psyched.

Sigh. There are so much more jokes he could have made about Noby Noby Boy, the unexplored satire material in that game is to the brim, but I guess Yahtzee had to review another Wii game. He won't play J-RPGs either so he'll never play Valkyria Chronicles, or the brilliant Disgaea 3, even though he seems to like the PS3 somewhat. That could change in a single week's review, but who knows. Personally I think Nintendo release their best games on the Nintendo DS at the moment.

And I was intrigued when Yahtzee said he couldn't understand Japanese manga comics, maybe he needs to read the good Old School stuff like Osamu Tezuka's manga instead of the ecchi fanservice stuff which is easier to poke fun at. I look forward to next week's review though, because he just might do something different. Him reviewing Chinatown Wars for DS was a surprise since he rarely does DS reviews. The Escapist rarely does DS reviews unless they are user reviews.

Yahtzee has already dissed Chinatown Wars on the DS, but I can't be certain if he liked it or not because he's as ambiguous as a Black Jack manga volume by Osamu Tezuka, you can't really tell what's good or bad. Unfortunately Yahtzee had to crack another joke at ecchi fanservice manga instead of giving to old school Tezuka stuff a try.

And equally if he likes making fun of the subtext of games why hasn't he tried reviewing Noby Noby Boy? There's so much comedy material you could get out of that game it's not funny (the neglect of not reviewing the game, not the comedy material, which is funny). Yahtzee I guess has gotten himself in a situation where he's become an auteur of reviewing and because he has to live up to the expectations of everyone to be funny all the time he sometimes doesn't know what new jokes to go for and sticks with the old stereotypes everybody laughs at in his reviews. The "Spectacle Fighter" bit was funny though. Yahtzee does good neologisms.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here