Stolen Pixels #83: Left 4 Dumb: Part 5

Stolen Pixels #83: Left 4 Dumb: Part 5

It's easy to spot the new players in Left 4 Dead. They're the ones doing the most screaming.

Read Full Article

Oh by the godess that was hilarious. I'm lovin' this series.

They only go out at night because its only safe to sleep in the day. Duh.

Indigo_Dingo:

Erm, how so? Zombies can see and seems to be active day and night. If anything, night just means you can't them well, heh.

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

Erm, how so? Zombies can see and seems to be active day and night. If anything, night just means you can't them well, heh.

Considering how many of them are hiding in the dark, I assumed they had a natural aversion to light. After all, considering the Witch becomes hostile if you shine the light on her, I assumed it hurt her. Is there anything to suggest they don't?

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

Considering how many of them are hiding in the dark, I assumed they had a natural aversion to light. Is there anything to suggest they don't?

Hmmm, probably. I hadn't noticed until you pointed it out, heh.

That said, the flash of gun fire doesn't seem to avert them ;)

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

Considering how many of them are hiding in the dark, I assumed they had a natural aversion to light. Is there anything to suggest they don't?

Muzzle flash isn't as bright as the movies make out.

When you use the flashlight on the Witch, she recoils as if you had shot her, suggesting that the light actually does her pain. But try shining the light on her again, and what happens? Nothing - the pain of the light has been overtaken by some stronger feeling.

Think of light to them what the screech of minah birds is to us - its an unbearable sound. You will plan your day so you don't have to hear that godawful racket. But an emergency comes up, and you need to get there. You'll tolerate the sound, cause something more important has happened.

Like the Zombies. The survivors are in a safehouse, the Zombies aren't going to bother. Its food out of reach, out of sight, and out of - well, not mind, but lets say disjointed base instincts. But they step outside the door, and suddenly, *sniff* *sniff* FOOD!!! The screech of the sunlight on them is lost, as they need to hunt these guys down. They try to sleep at night? These things are gonna be slamming at the door with all their might - and that door cannot take a Tank, a Hunter headbutting it for half an hour, or so on. After all, the night is young, there's nowhere else to be, and four tasty, tasty humans sitting ju-u-ust out of reach.

I'm almost certain Valve didn't actually think about any of this, and I'm now doing their job.

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

Muzzle flash isn't as bright as the movies make out.

Think of light to them what the screech of minah birds is to us - its an unbearable sound. You will plan your day so you don't have to hear that godawful racket. But an emergency comes up, and you need to get there. You'll tolerate the sound, cause something more important has happened.

Like the Zombies. These guys are in a safehouse, the Zombies aren't going to bother. Its food out of reach, out of sight, and out of - well, not mind, but lets say disjointed base instincts. But they step outside the door, and suddenly, *sniff* *sniff* FOOD!!! The screech of the sunlight on them is lost, as they need to hunt these guys down. They try to sleep at night? These things are gonna be slamming at the door with all their might - and that door cannot take a Tank, a Hunter headbutting it for half an hour, or so on. After all, the night is young, there's nowhere else to be, and four tasty, tasty humans sitting ju-u-ust out of reach.

Hmmmm, Soylent green....sorry, got distracted, wha-? ;)

Anywho, true-true on all counts.

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

Considering how many of them are hiding in the dark, I assumed they had a natural aversion to light. After all, considering the Witch becomes hostile if you shine the light on her, I assumed it hurt her. Is there anything to suggest they don't?

Light and noise attract them, I think it would be the heat from the sun that they avoid.

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

Light and noise attract them, I think it would be the heat from the sun that they avoid.

And yet they wander into the molotov....

Indigo_Dingo:

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

You've got me there, but them not liking light doesn't add up, they are sometimes in buildings where lights are on.

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

You've got me there, but them not liking light doesn't add up, they are sometimes in buildings where lights are on.

When? Or to put it on a more relevant level, when are they in buildings that are lit more than the moonlit outside area?

Indigo_Dingo:

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

When? Or to put it on a more relevant level, when are they in buildings that are lit more than the moonlit outside area?

The start of No Mercy.

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Knight Templar:

Indigo_Dingo:

Doug:

Indigo_Dingo:

The start of No Mercy.

On the roof, in the back alleys, its lit to almost the same degree as the apartments. Also, they tend to wait just beyond the shadows of said lights.

I suspect that the zombies in left 4 dead are from the Resident Evil school of plot point training, and hence trying to make sense of it is like trying to nail jelly to a wall ;)

After all, Valve did their best, but they just couldn't find any other source of zombies than the T-virus to populate the bombed ruins they created to inspire their artists (see previous comics ;))

Guys, valve already stated in the L4D blogs that the zombies are sensitive to HEAT and are attracted by HIGH frequency ( pitch) noises. That explains why they are not attracted when you destroy the gas station for example, but go nuts when you move the train in Blood Harvest. This explains why they are so weak to fire, since they die instantly after getting lit. Even the tank gets a death timer after he gets lit, so it seems the special infected have too much of a strong will to go down as easily as the common infected.

And one more thing, they are not zombies. They are INFECTED, as the ones in the awesome movies and book of 28 Days/Weeks Later. Zombies eat flesh, thats what makes them zombies, running or walking. The infected just beat the shit out of you, since they have the spirit of all the rage quitters in the history of gaming ^-^. Stop comparing them to the T-virus, its more like rabies.

"Because flashlight beams don't show up during the day" Haha, favorite SP yet

goodness gracious!
the horror!
poor Bill and his push broom.

stompythebeast:

And one more thing, they are not zombies. They are INFECTED, as the ones in the awesome movies and book of 28 Days/Weeks Later. Zombies eat flesh, thats what makes them zombies, running or walking. The infected just beat the shit out of you, since they have the spirit of all the rage quitters in the history of gaming ^-^. Stop comparing them to the T-virus, its more like rabies.

Damn, I was just about to say that.

I hate to get all technical about it, but he's right, they're not zombies, they were just infected by some unknown disease that caused them to FREAK OUT and start attacking everyone else.

Plus I guess another difference between zombies and the infected is that the infected are just sort of pale and with maybe a few blood stains on their clothes, where as zombies usually look like they were just dug up out of the ground. (Which most of them are.)

Lord_Ascendant:
goodness gracious!
the horror!
poor Bill and his push broom.

Nevermind the push-broom, what about his beard!

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

I hate to get all technical about it, but he's right, they're not zombies, they were just infected by some unknown disease that caused them to FREAK OUT and start attacking everyone else.

Then why don't they attack each other?

Indigo_Dingo:

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

Oh that would just be silly.

Indigo_Dingo:

mydogisblue:

One of us! One of us! One of us!

(Or to put it another way: perhaps the infection produces not blind rage but rather xenophobic rage...)

Miral:

Indigo_Dingo:

mydogisblue:

One of us! One of us! One of us!

(Or to put it another way: perhaps the infection produces not blind rage but rather xenophobic rage...)

But Bill is pale, creepy and braindead, so wouldn't they mistake him for one of their own?

Indigo_Dingo:

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

They do, on occasion. I've seen them beating the crap out of each other before. They always stopped their games to come play with me, though.

It seems likely that the virus makes them hate anyone who isn't infected more than anything else. It just amplifies the "you lucky bastards" thing into "MUST STOMP YOUR FACE" levels.

Indigo_Dingo:

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

They do.. havent you ever seen two infected beating each other to death?

johnman:

Indigo_Dingo:

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

Yes, but I've also seen Lions maul each other to death, this doesn't mean all Lions are homicidal maniacs. If they were just attacking everything else, they would have all destroyed each other while the survivors weren't there

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

Plus I guess another difference between zombies and the infected is that the infected are just sort of pale and with maybe a few blood stains on their clothes, where as zombies usually look like they were just dug up out of the ground. (Which most of them are.)

I hate to say this, but you're wrong. I had the same argument with my wife and lost. They are zombies. In fact, Valve explicitly says as much, saying the word zombie no less than 4 times on the back of the box. If they aren't zombies, why does Valve call them as such?

TheKingBoar:

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

I hate to say this, but you're wrong. I had the same argument with my wife and lost. They are zombies. In fact, Valve explicitly says as much, saying the word zombie no less than 4 times on the back of the box. If they aren't zombies, why does Valve call them as such?

I don't know.

I always thought they were infected because whenever you play versus, thats just what the game itself refers to them as.

Like in between rounds, they're never refered to as zombies, instead it just says things like "Killed the most Infected" or "You will play as the Infected next round."

Honestly I think it could be either one, but it doesn't really change the fact that, zombies or not, they'll still try to kill you.

mydogisblue:

TheKingBoar:

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

I don't know.

I always thought they were infected because whenever you play versus, thats just what the game itself refers to them as.

Like in between rounds, they're never refered to as zombies, instead it just says things like "Killed the most Infected" or "You will play as the Infected next round."

Honestly I think it could be either one, but it doesn't really change the fact that, zombies or not, they'll still try to kill you.

I think the only safe conclusion is that Valve couldn't make up their minds, or just put the word zombies on the back because it would presumably sell better than infected.

Indigo_Dingo:

johnman:

Indigo_Dingo:

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

Yes, but I've also seen Lions maul each other to death, this doesn't mean all Lions are homicidal maniacs. If they were just attacking everything else, they would have all destroyed each other while the survivors weren't there

Then the game would be called Left 2 Run and would be no where near as entertaining.

Guys, its simply because its easier for the common crowd ( us) to get more interested about the game when we hear 'zombies'. If we heard "infected" we would be like " wut? you mean like they have pus filled paper cuts?" and other disgusting 'infections'. Zombies lets us know 3 important things " Guns, Gore, Apocalypse", which sells like hot bread. But if you read the l4d blog ( the official one) they are Infected, not zombies. Im sorry but your wife is wrong, and you failed miserable by letting her defeat you with such a weak point.( actually, im not sorry, just disappointed). Also, if you read MORE into the l4d cannon, the reason why they dont attack each other en-mass is because the virus lets them distinguish who is infected or not, mainly by smell. For example, the vomit from the Boomer reacts to the sweat on the skin of the survivors ( btw, the infected do not sweat) which causes a smell that makes the infected go nuts on who ever is wearing it. Its not a "attack this" beacon, its more like a " wtf is that smell man, wtf, its making me very angry man" . and thats how babies are made

Indigo_Dingo:

mydogisblue:

stompythebeast:

They do. You'll see a few fist fighting occasionally, and if that's not good enough for you, lets just say that its like I Am Legend.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)