Game Boy, I Love You

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game Boy, I Love You

In honor of the Game Boy's 20th Anniversary, Tom looks back on his favorite Game Boy memories.

Read Full Article

Ahh, the good old days. I miss you portable Tetris and Pokemon Pinball (the only version of Pokemon where I was able/willing to collect em all). I didn't have a gameboy until I was... 11? maybe 12? Which was about 5 years after it was out, but man it was all I could do. I saved up for that thing, and they were already cheap because they had put out the gameboy color (I remember the ads, and I also remember the ads for being able to plug the gameboy color games into your SNES which I never had and play them ON TV!!!) and so it was cheap enough for a few allowances worth. I took my Tetris everywhere. I should see if I can get one now and relive all my childhood memories.

coldfrog:
Ahh, the good old days. I miss you portable Tetris and Pokemon Pinball (the only version of Pokemon where I was able/willing to collect em all). I didn't have a gameboy until I was... 11? maybe 12? Which was about 5 years after it was out, but man it was all I could do. I saved up for that thing, and they were already cheap because they had put out the gameboy color (I remember the ads, and I also remember the ads for being able to plug the gameboy color games into your SNES which I never had and play them ON TV!!!) and so it was cheap enough for a few allowances worth. I took my Tetris everywhere. I should see if I can get one now and relive all my childhood memories.

that and mario bros for it... good days *wipes tear*

Good times.

The DS Lite is my first handheld...

I love you DS lite!

~And i'll alwas love yooouuu~
~oh Gameboy you came and you gave without takin~
~If you'll excuse an expression i use i'm in love i'm in love with a wonderful system~
And to coldfrog i still have portable tetris on my Gameboycolor

PedroSteckecilo:

I love you DS lite!

Really?? First handheld? Wow, you missed out on the golden age of Pokemon Gold!

I'll pray for you.

*EDIT* Haha... Golden age of Pokemon Gold... I get it now.

Ah yes, good times, good times.

I remember visiting my aunt in England and buying Pokemon Red for my GB Pocket.
I still love my Game Boy, in all it's variations:)

Oh man i remember playing megaman on the old school gameboy for hours, that and metroid i could easily waste a day away staring at that 2.5 inch display.

Tom, I'm disappointed in you for this piece for two reasons.

1.) You missed the "Game Boy, I Choose You!" pun in the title there.

2.) You didn't use "You can't spell Nintendo without 'T.Endo'" as your byline.

Otherwise, great piece. I have many of the same memories with my Game Gear. Of course, most of the memories involve me actually seated on the floor plugged into a socket with the AC adapter, which kind of defeats the purpose of handheld gaming.

I'v had an interesting Gameboy monent(I didn't read the article, which i seem to be doing alot)But, anyway. I was playing the only real game for a nintendo portable, Pokemon, Blue to be percise, and i was playing it while on a trampoline. no i wasn't pulling off Gymnastics while gaming(If a game boy will be anywhere close to that) but i was moving around alot, and bouncing(Which is what you do on a trampoline)

Ago Iterum:

PedroSteckecilo:

I love you DS lite!

Really?? First handheld? Wow, you missed out on the golden age of Pokemon Gold!

I'll pray for you.

*EDIT* Haha... Golden age of Pokemon Gold... I get it now.

Except for the fact that by the time Pokemon was released I was "too cool for it" being a badass teenager and all that.

I picked up the DS lite because TWEWY looked too good to pass up.

CantFaketheFunk:
Tom, I'm disappointed in you for this piece for two reasons.

1.) You missed the "Game Boy, I Choose You!" pun in the title there.

2.) You didn't use "You can't spell Nintendo without 'T.Endo'" as your byline.

Otherwise, great piece. I have many of the same memories with my Game Gear. Of course, most of the memories involve me actually seated on the floor plugged into a socket with the AC adapter, which kind of defeats the purpose of handheld gaming.

Epic fail on my part regarding those first two points.

The Game Gear memory is the funniest thing I've read today.

Tom basically described the exact same childhood experience that I had with my original gray and green Game Boy (minus the foreign grandparents and international flights). I forget what year it was (somewhere around 1993 maybe? I was probably around 8-10 years old.) and we were leaving to head to my grandparents for Christmas. My parents always let my 2 brothers and me open one present each before we left. But, this time, they picked which one we opened. All three of us got identically sized boxes and ripped off that wrapping paper. I don't remmeber the last time I was so excited about a Christmas present. We even got these magnifying glass/light accesories that snapped on the top of the Game Boy so you could play in the dark and it would magnify the screen. I played my Game Boy every chance I got: every car ride to the grocery store, between homework and dinner, at the bus stop, etc. And it was awesome, AWESOME, when we got that adapter that played Game Boy cartridges on the SNES, IN COLOR! I remember you could even choose different themes that would decorate the perimeter of the TV screen (we always went for the one that looked like people watching a movie at a theater).

Tom, awesome column.

Fact: As an Adult I cannot read or even look at my iphone when riding in car or I get headaches and nauseous.

Fact: As a Child I can play hours of Paper Boy on my Game Boy in the car (with attachable light for night time) and not feel nauseous.

Conclusion: Game Boy = hours of non-nauseous fun, unlike READING A BOOK in a car

Oh man, my first Game Boy was one of the earliest Game Boy Pockets (seriously i think the S/N on it is 0000000001) which none of my friends remember because the Game Boy Pocket is kinda the equivalent to the iPod photo. I used to tear it up with pokemon, wario, donkey kong, and ...nintendo baseball? Good times man, I should dig that thing out

I had two Game Boys at one point. I put one somewhere, forgot I had it (or thought I lost it) and got another one. Still have my Limited Edition Pikachu Game Boy Color (with Game Boy camera and printer, natch.)

I had a GBA, and the first game I had on it was Pokemon Silver. The only thing I had been exposed to at that point was mario, so the wealth of content overwhelmed me, and the fact that I could take it everywhere ruled.

I recently got my GBA out again, and replayed through some games, mostly pokemon. (I like it ok) I will be buying a DS to keep my handheld addiction going. I know the graphics may not be that good, but I love handheld Nintendo consoles.

Gameboy rules!

20 years, OMG now im feelig old, it only felt like yesterday that i was begging my mum and dad to buy me it, how hand held gameing has come along.

im off to bed now as im far to old to be up past midnight hahahahaha YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Oh God, the memories.

The Gameboy was a major part of my child hood as well, and was my best friend on long car trips. The Zelda Oracle games were my favorites on the system, rivaled only by Donkey Kong 94'.

Memories...

My very first handheld, I plumped for it over a NES as I was pretty into my ZX Spectrum programming, Bubble Bobble, and Dynamite Dan (anyone else remember this game?)

Tetris consumed me. Who doesn't remember the elation the first time you saw the rocket?

I still have the old battleaxe, but her screen is foggy and she's turned yellow with age. I might just dig it out and give it one more go, it's an anniverary after all.

Like the corners of my mind...

Susan Arendt:
(with Game Boy camera and printer, natch.)

God how I love the usage of the word 'natch'.

Why no Game Girl? That's a question that plagues mankind.

Cliff_m85:
Why no Game Girl? That's a question that plagues mankind.

The Gamegirl was tried, but for 5 days of every month it went a little temperamental.

The Gameboy was always up for gaming.

GBA is the best...I really liked the pokemon game available on it.

The Game Boy was the first game "console" I ever owned.

And probably the best Christmas present I ever received - I even got in the color I wanted (lime green), and Wario Land 3, which I probably played more than any game since.

It's too bad - I also had relatives in Japan (still do), and I really should have asked them for some foreign games. Oh well.

PedroSteckecilo:

I love you DS lite!

Same here, though the DS Lite is amazing also.

I had the same thing with Mario Land 2 and Wario Land, those are by far the Mario games I've played the most.

I also prefer Link's Awakening over any other Zelda game.

Anybody know the game Kunio-kun? River city ransom for the gameboy. Loved it. Never met anyone who's played it, was probably never released in the West.

edit: found it! Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun: Bangai Rantouhen. Everybody seems to put it as a bad game. It was graphics swapped to become Double Dragon 2 (not DD2: Revenge) for the gameboy. I actually have both DD2 and this one and I heavily prefer this one, I think they changed more than just the graphics. Oh well... Rose tinted glasses perhaps.

CantFaketheFunk:
I have many of the same memories with my Game Gear. Of course, most of the memories involve me actually seated on the floor plugged into a socket with the AC adapter, which kind of defeats the purpose of handheld gaming.

That's strange, because I had to share the Gameboy with my brother we were always out of batteries, so this is exactly my experience with the gameboy as well.

In this article you talk about Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy Adventure. Ironicly Final Fantasy Adventure was the first in the series which Secret of Mana was the second. Back in those thoughs days Square used to slap the final fantasy name on most of there games comming over here to make them sell better.

Wow...the nostalgia is so intense it hurts! =P I remember getting my first GameBoy; your article brings back so many memories: I was given it by my wonderful grandparents, Super Mario 2 was the first game I ever played on it, and it did indeed make my first ever international flight (12 hours to L.A.) pass like a dream. I miss those green and black pixels... *sniffs*
I wonder if it's still around somewhere...

Wow, you've really me think about my ol' gameboy lovin' days Endo, those were some good times.
Wave Race, Donkey Kong, Super Mario World 2, Zelda: Link's Awakening, all excellent and took up far too much of my time, Donkey Kong and Zelda especially. I used to write long letters to Nintendo, for help on how to get past certain parts, a much nicer feeling than simply running to the internet.
I still keep my gameboy pocket handy now, Pokemon Yellow often drains a few hours of my time, it's making me think that I should get a DS for Pokemon Platinum, though I'm not convinced that it's going to be worth 100 or however much it's going to cost me. Still, 433 pokemon, that's some value for money.

The ole gameboy had the best implementation of Tetris ever... and though I had to borrow it from friends, I clocked up many, many, many hours on it. When I eventually bought a Gameboy Colour it was all I could ever have wanted in gaming.

These days, the DS gets most of my gaming time - whether I'm travelling or on vacation somewhere. It's the simple fact that I can close the lid and save the game state, and then come back to it when I next have a free moment? Why isn't this a standard feature on EVERY console?

hurray i own 3 of them :) but i have to say, i either always had mine plugged into the wall, or a car charger, since batteries run out very fast. maybe i just buy crap batteries heh

I've got my gb when i was 3, it was in a black box and it included Mario 2 and Link's Awakening(which was complicated back then of course, till i learned to read).

Ah sweet memories, I'll never forget the christmas I got my Game Boy, the first console I ever owned (had a ZX Spectrum before that), got it with Tetris and Alleyway and it was something of a godsend because I was very ill at the time so it gave me something to occupy myself with.

Super Mario Land probably stands out as my all time favourite Game Boy game, the music alone was good enough to make it awesome, I still have all my games stored away carefully, think I'll get some out to celebrate with.

Wow, that article brought back some memories.

I remeber my first Game Boy, the original gray brick. "Santa" gave my brother, I and both my parents identical boxes at Christmas; low and behold, we were a Game Boy family! I remember being so excited when we got the 4 way link so we could all play F1 Racing together. I think that my favorite game is still Tetris, with the "C" music option. It was our first console, and it brought me into the world of gaming.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here