TGC 2009: Peter Tamte Keynote

Peter Tamte Keynote

Peter Tamte, President of Atomic Games, discusses changing forces in the game industry as well as Six Days in Fallujah.

Watch Video

It's a shame the game got cancled, I was looking forward to it, it just goes to show that videogames are still not considered to be a respectable form of storytelling by the media yet.

It really did look like a good game...
Oh well.
Mabye sometime in the future...

Why did it get cancled? Dang that looked like a good game....

Atomic Games is still developing the game. Konami just dropped it as Publisher. Sort of like what happened to Ghostbusters.

Here's hoping the game will still get released. There must be a publisher out there somewhere who will pick it up surely?

I'm guessing it received skepticism for the same reasons "The Kingdom" received uneasy approach when it was first released in theaters: A medium attempts to capture the story of a major event during a time where the world is still feeling the effects of that event and the developers release said story to a pansy, hyper-sensitive society that screams "mockery" every time someone tries to convey a powerful story (the Battle of Fallujah) in a compelling and profound way. This is the same vocal minority that would condemn Winnie the Pooh because they thought Eeyore was too depressing.

I cannot speak on behalf of the Marine Corps, but I can say that I know a few of my brothers who would love to support a game like this.

Yeah. The game didn't get canceled, Konami just discovered they don't have the balls to bring the industry to another level.

I am a former Marine and I fully support Atomic Games. I am new to this website and with content like this, I will be a regular. Thank you very much.

duty nco:
I am a former Marine and I fully support Atomic Games. I am new to this website and with content like this, I will be a regular. Thank you very much.

It's always good to see new folks. Welcome to the forums, have a nice stay.

There was NO lead in into talking about the Fallujah game. Seemed odd.

Kiutu:

that wasnt the introduction to the game just a keynote for atomic's seminar. It was announced 4 days prior to this keynote.

This looks very promising. If they manage to combine the story they want to tell with CoD4-like gameplay it will definitely be a very good game.

kir4:

Kiutu:

that wasnt the introduction to the game just a keynote for atomic's seminar. It was announced 4 days prior to this keynote.

I mean when swithing topics. He just jumped from talking about the one thing then without any lead in talked about the game.

Kiutu:

kir4:

Kiutu:

I mean when swithing topics. He just jumped from talking about the one thing then without any lead in talked about the game.

He was saying that innovation around demographics is forcing video games away from their current definitions before introducing his game, which is a documentary.

Cali0602:
I'm guessing it received skepticism for the same reasons "The Kingdom" received uneasy approach when it was first released in theaters: A medium attempts to capture the story of a major event during a time where the world is still feeling the effects of that event and the developers release said story to a pansy, hyper-sensitive society that screams "mockery" every time someone tries to convey a powerful story (the Battle of Fallujah) in a compelling and profound way.

I don't completely agree. The problem, I think, is with the public's mindset about video games. In the minds of the public, video games really are "murder simulators." They think that in Little Johnny's mind concept of killing people on the screen, and killing people in real life aren't so separate. So, of course, when you take a situation in which actual blood has been spilled and make a game about it, well, whose going to stop Little Johnny now. In their minds, a video game could never be something a person might play to learn something about a current event by placing yourself in their shoes and learning how they actually must have felt. In their minds, video games can't even really be "fun." Placing Little Johnny in the shoes of someone who has actually killed someone can only make LJ a killer. The fact that this is a recent event, I think, only puts the little shit cherry on the top of their little shit sundae.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here