The Escapist Show: Episode 27: Triangle Game Conference

Episode 27: Triangle Game Conference

This week on The Escapist Show, we take a closer look at insights the Triangle Game Conference offered to and from local game developers.

This week's musical guest:

Ian Dorsch - "Escapist Show Theme"

Watch Video

Who's dying? Well, that'd be Russ. He succumbed to a wicked case of flu (perhaps with piggy overtones?) mere hours after he shot that.

Audio was kind of hard to make out for most of the talks, but um... great looking bar graph you had there?

What, no DDKR this time? :)

Woo north carolina!

Russ, you are rockin' that white suit. That and the beard? Classy.

Miral:
What, no DDKR this time? :)

DDKR is stealthy like the ninja, it only shows up when you least expect it.

Not enough outtakes for my liking and where did the cats go?

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Audio was kind of hard to make out for most of the talks, but um... great looking bar graph you had there?

Hey thanks! Yeah, bummed you couldn't hear the talking too well. I can share what was going on in my panel during the clip:

-I was pointing out with the graph that there's inherent bias in reviews, as evidenced by the average scores by genre. This inherent bias is to be expected, but it's troubling when one thinks about the fact these review score aggregates are beginning to show up in publisher agreements as bonus percentage indicators for development teams. Ex: If your game is rated 80% on metacritic, your bonus will be 35%; if your metacritic is 90%, your bonus will be 40%.

-Juan Benito then mentioned RPGs being rated an average of 3% higher than the next highest rated is interesting, as that's a fairly notable finding. He suggested this may have something to do with RPGs often being huge games, and therefore they require big budgets to really flesh out the story, gameplay, etc. citing the examples of Fallout and Fable.

Andraste:

Lvl 64 Klutz:

Hey thanks! Yeah, bummed you couldn't hear the talking too well. I can share what was going on in my panel during the clip:

-I was pointing out with the graph that there's inherent bias in reviews, as evidenced by the average scores by genre. This inherent bias is to be expected, but it's troubling when one thinks about the fact these review score aggregates are beginning to show up in publisher agreements as bonus percentage indicators for development teams. Ex: If your game is rated 80% on metacritic, your bonus will be 35%; if your metacritic is 90%, your bonus will be 40%.

-Juan Benito then mentioned RPGs being rated an average of 3% higher than the next highest rated is interesting, as that's a fairly notable finding. He suggested this may have something to do with RPGs often being huge games, and therefore they require big budgets to really flesh out the story, gameplay, etc. citing the examples of Fallout and Fable.

Wow, that is pretty interesting, I had no idea it was going on. I never did like the idea of metacritic. Using metacritic is like hiring a job applicant purely on seeing their GPA.

Lvl 64 Klutz:

*insert CSI montage

The audio should be a little better now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here